2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 4 of 7)

Sep 052008

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle shifted into neutral independently. The vehicle was stopped each time and had to be restarted before the vehicle could operate as designed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer on three occasions where various parts were replaced and software updates were performed however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 40,000 and the current mileage was 103,000.

- Greenville, TX, USA

Jul 172013

Grand Cherokee

The problem was the same one that a lot of people have had with it losing acceleration or not wanting to accelerate. My mechanic checked for a code and found out the problem was in the shifting assembly. He had to take out the center console and replace the shifter assembly. He said that a module was faulty in the shifter assembly and was putting the car into limp mode. This seems to have taken care of the problem. I thought I would share this information so others would know about it.

- Carthage, MO, USA

Aug 012012

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

My Jeep will periodically not accelerate past 25-40 mph. The rpms only move slightly during an occurrence even if you have it floored and there is no warning lights. The only why to temporarily fix it is to pull over, put it in park and turn it off and on again. I had a very close call and almost got rear-ended getting on the interstate last week when it happened. In the last year its probably happened about fifty times. After looking on this site it is apparent that I'm not the only one with this problem! Jeep needs to make a recall on this very soon.

- Billings, MT, USA

Jul 012013

Grand Cherokee

My complaint is with the dealer. I received a recall notice regarding the transfer case actuator. When making the appointment with the dealer they agreed to look at it. Once I drove out to the dealership they refused to even look at the case since there is no fix yet available. I'm not happy that they even would look. So I feel that the dealer failed to remedy this defect in a reasonable time. I understand their is no fix yet, but to not even look brothers me. I'm a mother of three with one more on the way and I wish my dealer would of even listen and looked.

- Alamogordo, NM, USA

Mar 072013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving approximately 75 mph, the transmission slipped into neutral. On a separate occasion, the vehicle was placed in reverse but proceeded to roll away. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 13V175000 (electrical system, power train). The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000 and the current mileage was 52,000. The VIN was not available.

- Macomb, MI, USA

Oct 132012

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee will suddenly shift into neutral while driving. It has happened at various speeds. When this happens all the shift indicators are highlighted. I have to then pull over, put it in park and then try again. I have had it to the dealership shop 5 times to get this fixed. (over the course of this past year). I have now been told that there is a recall with letters going out last month. When can we expect these? I was told June, , but now it is the middle of July. This is very dangerous and we can no longer drive on the highway and have not been able to for almost a year now.

- Conroe, TX, USA

Jul 102013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Was driving and vehicle would no longer switch gears from first to second. I was on freeway in construction area that was down to one lane and could not pull over for approximately ten miles. Not happy at all since the vehicle (2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee) has relatively low miles for a power train problem. My car is currently in the shop, but research shows this is a common problem with my model and a dangerous and expensive one at that. How is this not a recall?

- Ashtabula, OH, USA

Jun 092013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

I was driving 40 mph and pressed the accelerator to speed up to 45 when my Jeep lost power. I pressed the accelerator fully and the transmission did not downshift and the engine just kept losing power. This has also happened from start twice. It has happened at around 60 mph while getting on the highway. The only thing that helps is if I turn off the engine and turn it back on. Then the car drives normally. I bought the car 10 days ago with 82500 miles on it. It's already acting up.

- Denver, CO, USA

May 312013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Vehicle loses power when merging with fast moving traffic; needs to be shut down and restarted to regain power; later, check engine light came on sometimes; finally, won't go over 30 mph and check engine light is continuously on. I have extended warranty from portfolio. I brought it to the dealer's (auto world - patchogue NY) shop (generation Kia - medford NY) 03 Jun 2013, was told that I needed to bring it to a Jeep dealer. I was told verbally that the fault was the transmission input speed sensor. On 05 Jun 2013 I went to brown's Jeep in patchogue NY and they won't commit to anything or give me a loaner car until the service is approved by portfolio. From the first month of ownership I had complained about rough shifting under certain conditions, but was told at brown's Jeep that the transmission was ok. I have noticed some service bulletins for 'drivability' concerning the transmissions had been issued in some states. A lot of other owners have had the same problem, maybe a recall is overdue! thank you!

- Patchogue, NY, USA

Dec 282012

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

While driving the transmission will slip into neutral and revs high, all gears high-light on the dash board, and this happens at multiple speeds many different times" there have been several times this has almost caused my husband and I to have an accident. I was told by the dealership that a recall has been issued and to wait until notified??" this is not something to take lightly and having almost been in accident(s) I feel this needs immediate attention.

- Southgate, MI, USA

May 162013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

As I was driving my Jeep shut off and I was unable to steer and started to slow down in the middle of the freeway going 65 mph. I was unable to get out of the road and on to the shoulder causing several cars to almost hitting me. When the Jeep stopped I put the SUV in park and tried starting all it did was make noise. I then stepped on the brake and put in neutral and tried starting it and it wouldn't start. I waited a few minutes put the Jeep back in park and tried again and it started but I'm scared to drive in now. This happened to me 4 times now but the other times it is when I am either coming off the freeway or on a city street not going that fast and in that much traffic.

- Spring, TX, USA

May 072013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Shifts from park to neutral by itself, wont down shift at certain times, shift from drive to neutral at high speeds then shut off the truck.

- Douglasville, GA, USA

Jun 162010

Grand Cherokee

The first incident happened when my Jeep Grand Cherokee unknowingly shifted into neutral while driving down my neighborhood road. I was not aware of this until I tried to increase my speed and was not able to. I then had to turn off the car and turn it back on. This has happened three times since 2011.

- Jensen Beach, FL, USA

Apr 022013

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

The drivers window regulator is not working. Second problem is when I start my Jeep up and put it drive it sometimes makes a clunk noise, like it' going in hard and all the boxes light up around the P.N.R.D. and it has no power. I have to turn it off and restart it and it clears it up.

- Dodgeville, WI, USA

Apr 052013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Started truck shifted from park to drive. Started to drive, truck lurched forward and was unable to get it to speed over 20 mph. Tried pulling over and putting in park, still was unable to get truck to drive normally. Had same issue previously, had truck repaired was told that it was the electronic shift module - along with the battery, transmission control module and alternator - this seems to be a problem with this particular model - when will they recall this - do we need to wait for someone to get killed before some realizes there is a problem?

- Flushing, NY, USA

Sep 172007

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

I have had this vehicle to the multiple dealerships since I owned it. There is a two second delay when you push down on the accelerator. Dealerships can't find anything wrong. I replaced the catalytic converters, 4WD module. Every light comes on, check engine, check gas cap etc. It now gets horrible gas mileage and the transmission stopped working. This has been a lemon since day one and Jeep refuses to correct the situation. It is at the dealership now.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Feb 122007

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

While driving, the prndl had lit boxes around all the letters, and dash indicators all lit up, and Jeep lost power as if stalling. It then "went" back into drive on its own. This happened over eleven times, with mileage starting at 1,186, and most recently at 52,536. Dates of repair incidents are : 2/12/07, 12/31/07, 1/10/08, 9/22/08, 1/5/09, 6/9/09, 6/18/12, 10/19/12, 12/26/12, 3/8/13, 3/22/13. My Jeep is a 2007, averaging 8,756 miles per year. I bought it new and I take very good care of all maintenance right away - oil changes, filters, tire rotation, etc.! each time it was brought to the dealer for "repair", they either couldn't find the problem, or replaced : shifter module (twice), transmission wiring harness (three times) and suggested a new battery (we replaced that also), and transmission plug and seal. There were also numerous "software and anti-theft updates. In addition to these, I replaced the driver's side window regulator twice. Now, they want to replace the "transmission temp circ." And esm module - for another $1,500. All this in 52,536 miles and 6 years !!! I firmly believe there are serious manufacturer defects with this vehicle. My biggest concern is the safety of this Jeep is unpredictable. I never know, even after all the "repairs and replacements", if it will suddenly lose power and I might be in danger (traffic, intersection, etc.). how in the world could Chrysler deny this problem" it needs to be resolved at the source, they are responsible for the safety of their vehicles !!!! there are many reports of this same issue from numerous 2007 Jeep owners - where is the recall ??"!!!!

- Freeland, PA, USA

Mar 112013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

First my rear window light would come on during cold weather and would stay on this happened at 35,000 miles. Then my directional stopped working had fixed it had something to do with inside the steering column. This happened at 82,000 miles. Then a few weeks later drove myself to the drs when I came out my Jeep wouldn't start. All the interior lights, radio, directional, windows worked but when I turn it on I hear a click then nothing else. Car wont turn over at all. I waited about an hour of trying before it decided to work and turn over. I then proceeded to drive 5 min stopped at a gas station for gas, when I shut it off and tried turning back on same thing happened. I waited about 45 min before it would start back up. Then no problems for 5 days. Now again its doing the same thing except I left it over night and it still wont start. I called Chrysler after looking online and seeing a lot of people with complaints that were the same as mine except these people spent thousands trying to fix and replace everything yet still no luck they continue having this problem. So this is a very well known problem with Jeep and even after bringing to Jeep dealer and having a diagnostics done with no problems showing up. They don't know what's wrong suggested replacing wires, starter, something in the steering column, and some module. I don't want to dump tons of money in it like everyone else just to have the same problem. Chrysler apologized and said there is no recall for my vehicle. I stated it is a known problem and there should be. She then went on to say I should have it towed back to Jeep for another diagnostic. It works when it wants to work and has left me and my 4 yr old stranded. It seems like anytime there's a problem with my Jeep and everyone else's its always during cold winter months. Frustrated and stranded.

- Haverhill, MA, USA

Nov 012012

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated the while driving 65 mph, the vehicle lost power and would not accelerate over 30 mph. The failure was experienced numerous times without warning. Two independent mechanics performed diagnostics on the vehicle, but were unable to generate a failure code. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 76,000 and the current mileage was 84,000.

- Belchertown , MA, USA

Feb 162013

Grand Cherokee

This first occurred @ approx. 48K miles. Driving down the road, I accelerate, truck behaved as if it was thrown into neutral. I was able to coast it down the road approx. 1/4 mile and pull off into a parking lot (living in the country, there is no place to safely pull off the road) shut the Jeep off, restart and all is good. Now at 55K miles, the rear pinion seal was leaking like a waterfall, replaced, all of a sudden the truck starts with this feeling as if it were thrown into neutral, both times it kicked back into drive on its own. Now today driving home, it clunked, bucked, all P, R, N, D lights light up at once, then they go out, then they light up, this repeats, I made it home, could not accelerate above 40-45. When is Jeep going to recall these, after someone is killed. Did I mention I have a 4 year old in the truck every day! I cant drive it at this point, I am petrified, I will not put the child in it. I have to borrow a vehicle until we are able to pull it apart and get the part from the dealer I bought the Jeep from 40 miles away! would never ever recommend a Jeep to anyone, ever! I have a friend owns the same Jeep, same year, even the same color, he has almost 200K on his and just replaced it, he could not accelerate over 25 mph. The shame of it is, I love it and I am going to take a huge financial bath on it, even when its repaired, I cant trust it, its not child safe! also seems very convenient Jeep does not transfer warranties! otherwise this would of been covered, the powetrain warranty on these was extended to lifetime, original owner only!

- Binghamton, NY, USA