2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 26 of 30)

Mar 222014

Grand Cherokee

After receiving the recall N23, my vehicle is unable to shift into 4X4-lo. The dealership has acknowledged that this is related to the recalls update. Chrysler refuses to offer a solution to this.

- Portland, OR, USA

Mar 182014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

I already filed a complaint about this problem last month with NHTSA. This week I found out I can turn the ignition key off while the car is driving....wow! I discovered that because I wanted to re-inact what the car does while I'm driving it so the Jeep mechanics can figure out what's wrong with this car. I can be driving down the road at different speeds & all of a sudden all the dash warning lights come on, I lose acceleration, like the car is shutting down. I panic and pump the gas peddle(no acceleration) and try to turn the ignition key on, that makes the lights on dash go off, & I resume speed like nothing happened. This car has done this since it was new, dealership guys would tell me "take any extra keys off your key ring" when I only had a couple of keys on it. Today, when I took it into the dealership, the first thing the mechanic said was "take extra keys off", I only have 2 other keys on the ring. I put a dealership service tech in the car with me in the parking lot & told him to move the ignition key while driving, he said "you shouldn't be able to do that". he went in the back to talk to one of the mechanics and he said the same thing, you shouldn't be able to turn the key in drive. Now I have an appt. On Thursday 3/20/14 to leave the car there for inspection. I am afraid to drive this car now. It always happened about 4 times a year since it was new, but lately it has happened about 4 times in the last 2 weeks. With the deaths on the news right now with GM, frankly I don't want to be a statistic! the dealership says intermittent problems are very hard to detect, says it would be good to get the car when it strands me, then they will know what's wrong. It would be my luck the next time it happens, I will be going 60 mph on E-way & a semi truck runs me over when I lose power. Please take this complaint seriously.

- Canton, MI, USA

Nov 182013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

While vehicle is in motion a front dashboard lights would flash for a while and suddenly goes dark including head lights and brake lights. This is not in any correlation with weather, temperature or road conditions. This has been happening randomly and due to safety concern we no longer use the vehicle for a family trip and we do not use the vehicle at night since all electrical components goes off while it is in motion. Per online search it appears there are numerous Jeep owners experiencing the similar malfunction. This is a very serious safety issue, so why the manufacturer has not issued a recall to have this repaired?

- Morrisville, NC, USA

Sep 242013

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle shut off while driving without any driver action. Weather clear. Pavement dry. Don't know temp. Never reported as I thought it was a one-off incident - until hearing of the current recall for this issue on other Jeep vehicles in this time period.

- New Paltz, NY, USA

Feb 012008

Grand Cherokee

2007 (pre and post) have rear tail light assembles that work intermittently. Jeep replaces(for approximately $200) broken taillight assemblies with new units having the same defect. Their design happens to fail around the 30,000 mile point (by intention?). Jeep will not return broken parts when requested for inspection (they don't want these reaching your office). Light bulbs are not the issue. This known Jeep defect keeping their assembly line running at the expense/risk to Jeep occupants or any vehicle following a full size Jeep. Plus they are making money while endangering others. Do the statistics of Jeep show they are rear-ended more often? how convenient if this is the case and the evidence is damaged in the accident. Look on-line for the dialog or just look at Jeep on the road and you'll see a brake or tail light out in a much higher percentage than any other vehicle. I notice an after market light assembly was recalled (std. 108), no amber light. How about a recall for a light that may or may not work at any given moment" which is worse"

- Mt Pleasant, SC, USA

Jan 312014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

As I was driving the truck jerked real hard which almost knocked the wind out of me and I lost control of steering, speed, I was unable to start the truck. I had to make my way to the shoulder in morning traffic on the highway to put the car in park and turn the ignition off and start it over again I had to do this 2 times before it started. Proceeded to get back into traffic and it jerked again this time it stopped running and started clicking all by itself until I stopped the truck and turned it off and started it again. This is not the first time this has happened and it very dangerous and from the looks of things this is a ongoing problem with this model & year Jeep.

- Spring, TX, USA

Sep 162013

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the service four wheel drive warning lamp illuminated and the transmission failed to shift gears. The vehicle was repaired under recall NHTSA campaign number: 13V175000 (electrical system, power train) but the remedy failed to correct the problem. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer several times. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 80,000 and the current mileage was 92,000. Updated 3/12/14

- Dessert Hot Springs, CA, USA

Jan 222014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Car stalled while traveling on highway at 65mph with light throttle. Electrical systems stayed on, engine cut out with no warning. When the engine stopped a single alert chime sounded. The car was maneuvered to the shoulder. Placed the vehicle in park and restarted by turning off, then on. Started on first attempt. This is the first stall I have encountered after purchasing the Jeep 1 month ago. The engine has stuttered a couple of times at highway speeds with the alert chime sounding once each time, but the engine restarted within a second and continued going.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Jan 192014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Driving and all dashboard warning lights keep blinking like xmas lights and vehicle looses power, park vehicle and go to restart and check engine light stays on, next day start vehicle and check engine light is off. This has been an on going problem with this vehicle. New wiring and wiring harness was replaced at 43K miles and the "certified tech" said the problem was solved, but per my other complaints the problem keeps happening.

- Wethersfield, CT, USA

Nov 262012

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

The lights in my dash were flashing off and on while driving the vehicle, and the sunroof kept opening and would not close. Also, when a door was opened on the vehicle, while the engine was off and no key was in, the headlights would flash, took to the dealer, they replaced the instrument cluster, problem still persist. While at the dealer they also attempted to repair the N23 recall, at that point I was advised that there were 8 software updates, which the dealer did without charge. After attempted repair of N23 recall, I was advised the 4 wheel drive in my vehicle was not functioning due the recall repair, it has been 2 months and to date Chrysler has been unable to produce a part, the 4 wheel drive actuator, I contacted Chrysler corporation numerous times to no avail, was advised the part is on restriction. It is dangerous!!! especially to think your vehicle is functioning properly and its not. Chrysler has done nothing to help remedy the situation.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Sep 012009

Grand Cherokee

I cannot remember the exact dates 1- vehicle would not start intermittently - throttle control modular replaced 2- vehicle would not start starter replaced 3- all dash warning lights keep going on and off vehicle lost power - engine light stayed on wiring and wiring harness replaced. 4- all warning lights kept going on and off lost power - engine light finally stayed on dealer just reset the computer. 5-all warning light went on lost power again then ABS esp traction control lights on - broken wire fixed in the wiring that was replaced. 6-all warning lights just went on again vehicle has 58K miles lost power now ABS esp and traction control lights are on.

- Wethersfield, CT, USA

Nov 122013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl Diesel

After receiving recall N23, 4WD low no longer works.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Dec 192013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

I had been driving for maybe 8 minutes at 55 mph when suddenly the vehicle jumped, stalled and lost power. After gliding to the side of the road, I made 3 attempts to restart in park. It would not restart. After waiting several minutes the car did restart. All of this while people are passing at 60 mph on a two lane road!! the vehicle is not registering any codes!!

- Hebron, IN, USA

Dec 172013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

The vehicle shuts down without any warning while driving. Extremely dangerous!! it's the second time it happened in the last 6 years, and it seems to happen when it is cold outside. (in freezing temperature). Luckily, no one was around when the problems occurred, but if it had happened in a crowded area, an accident is imminent. Exactly the same symptom as what was reported under NHTSA id number: 10555411 (this is a complaint filed on 12/10/2013). In one other instance when my wife was driving the vehicle at about 45 mph, it felt like the vehicle shifted in the first gear suddenly. When she looked at the speedometer area, all of the "prndl" signs were selected. (of course she did not touch the shifter in any way...) she subsequently restarted the vehicle and the problem went away. I'm surprised no recall is issued for this. Finally, I brought the vehicle to the dealer, but they had no clue how to fix the problem. Of course!

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Oct 052012

Grand Cherokee

Jeep would not start "transmission temp" would come up on dash. Took to dealer replaced starter. Week later same problem. Went back to Jeep dealer they deemed it to be engine harness.one year later on any given day "transmission temp" will come up on dash with the Jeep sputtering to start. Turn off then start. So far three time since repairs it has done this.

- Phila, PA, USA

Dec 102013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

The truck is a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Once again as I was driving my vehicle shut down (jerked real hard) and I lost all driving capability etc power steering, speed control..... I was driving on the freeway when my Jeep shut down it was during morning rush hour traffic. It was hard for me to glide over to the shoulder when everyone around you is going 60 mph and you have no power steering. When I was able to get to the shoulder I placed the Jeep in park and turned the vehicle off and removed the key and put the key back in and it started right up. This has been happening everyday now and why searching the internet I've ran across on here and elsewhere that I am not the only one having problems like this with my year and make. It is really dangerous and im surprised there hasn't been a recall yet or a terrible possible fatal accident due to the vehicle being non responsive in fast heavy traffic. This engine shut off without warning. I've noticed this happens when it is real cold outside.

- Springq, TX, USA

Jul 182013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for inspection where they stated that the wires that were connected to the ignition were found to be melted and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 79,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Chippewa Falls, WI, USA

Sep 242011

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

I bought this Jeep on 9/20/2013. The truck is equipped with the 5.7 L hemi engine. Over the first 50 days and 1,157 miles of ownership I have encountered 18 episodes of the vehicle stalling, with 14 of those stalls occurring on major highways in traffic. The stalls occur with no warning. The vehicle immediately decelerates to a stop and I am left with no power, no steering and no brakes. One dealership blamed it on a bad battery. The dealership which sold me the Jeep diagnosed the problem as a M.a.P. sensor, which they replaced. That did not correct the problem as the stalling problem continues to occur. The most recent was on 11/9/2013 while driving in the center lane of the pa turnpike at 65 mph. The Jeep stalled and came to a stop, with a semi tractor-trailer behind me. I have no idea how that truck driver was able to swerve in time to miss me. Mechanics and on-line forums identify possible causes for the stalling as 1. a defective (ECM) electronic control modules; 2. shorts in the wiring harness; 3. sparks plugs; 4. egr valve; 5. ignition coil; 6. PCV valve; 7. transmission solenoid pack. There are no diagnostic codes stored in the obd-II system. One school of thought is that 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee and commanders equipped with the 5.7 L hemi engine are extremely sensitive to radio frequency interference from the waste spark on the coil. As other complaints have noted, this is an obvious and persistent problem with Jeep equipped with the hemi engine, and Chrysler has turned a deaf ear to the complaints. Perhaps they are waiting for the fatalities to occur. Why NHTSA hasn't done more to order a recall is beyond my comprehension. The problem has been reported on for years with no action taken by Chrysler. This Jeep is, for lack of a better word, a deathtrap. At best it cannot be trusted, it is unsafe and unreliable. At worst it is an accident waiting to happen!

- Hatfield, PA, USA

Oct 092013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

I was driving my 2007 Grand Cherokee overland 5.7L hemi and the truck just cuts off with no warning and then all the warning lights came on and car stopped in the middle of the road during morning rush hour traffic. Car restarted after a few tries and the key was removed from the ignition. As I see this is an on going issue with the 5.7L hemi Jeep Grand Cherokee overland's and there has been no resolution to this problem. It can cause a major accident and a huge lawsuit against Jeep. This should be seriously looked into an a recall should be done for all the other Jeep owners that have this same problem all over the untied states.

- Spring, TX, USA

Aug 202013

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact mentioned that after the vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign id number: 13V175000 (electrical system, power train), the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 12,821. Updated 10/17/13 the consumer stated the vehicle would not start and all lost all power. The vehicle was jump started. The consumer believed the vehicle failure, was due to the recall that was performed on the vehicle.

- Riverdale, MD, USA