CarComplaints.com Notes: The fourth generation Grand Cherokee took the relatively trouble-free run of the 3rd-generation and flipped the script.

From 2010 to 2011, complaints about the vehicle not starting increased 10-fold. In fact, the 2011 model year is riddled with engine problems and a defective TIPM might be to blame. The TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) distributes power to all the eletrical components in the vehicle, so when it starts acting funny so do numerous other components in the car. Orders for new TIPMs were so abundant that parts became scarce, prompting a class-action lawsuit claiming Chrysler ignored this obvious defect.

By 2012 complaints dropped back down by about 80%. Needless to say, if you see a used 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee on a lot just keep walking.

8.4

$1,165.00

2. replace TIPM (65 reports)
  3. replace the totally integrated power module (40 reports)
  4. repair tipm (11 reports)
  5. replaced TIPM (7 reports)
  6. tipm (5 reports)
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 11)

Feb 092016

Grand Cherokee Laredo 3.2L V6

I had the fuel pump replaced but am just finding out that the TIPM is the real problem. I never had a recall notice.

Update from Feb 22, 2016: Received recall notice the following week. I submitted a reimbursement request to Chrysler, which they denied. Now the fuel pump that I had replaced would not shut off when the car is turned off. This drained the battery. Chrysler will not provide a loaner vehicle nor will they reimburse. The part is on back order for the next 4 weeks and the first available time they will replace the correct part is next month.

- , Jonesboro, GA, USA

Aug 312015

Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L V8

Enjoyed my used 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland purchased with only 40,000 miles for less than a year when I received 3 recall notices. One was labeled P54, and said "The Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) on your vehicle contains an internal fuel pump relay that could operate intermittently or fail without warning. An intermittent or failed fuel pump relay could cause the engine to stall while driving and cause a crash without warning." So I take my Jeep to closest authorized service 40 minutes up the road and waste a day getting my recalls dealt with. This was mid March...

Less than 6 months later I get a frantic call from my wife. She was driving the Jeep when the engine stalled while driving (almost) causing a crash without warning. She was luckily just able to get it out of rush hour traffic without incident. I say luckily because there was no power steering, power brakes, and our one year old child was in the car. To say she was in a panic is an understatement.

Getting the kid out of the back seat was a whole new endeavor, as the doors were locked and the car could not receive any power. One sweaty child rescued from the back seat, one argument with my wife, one fantasy football draft missed, nine days without my Jeep, $120 tow bill, and $1,169 service bill later for new TIPM, and we are whole again.

Jeep takes the stance that they did their part by replacing the internal fuel pump relay. I would argue they should stand behind their products, and reimburse me and the many other consumers who have suffered due to this faulty part.

- , Austin, TX, USA

Jul 142015

Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7L

The car would not start and shut down several times. Scary could have crashed.

- , 33629, FL, USA

Sep 012015

Grand Cherokee Laredo 3.2L

Very frustrating, car won't start randomly, then it seems fine, then won't start again

- , Milford, CT, USA

Jul 062011

Grand Cherokee Overland 5.8L Hemi

Purchased brand new 2011 Overland. 3 months later, driving down the road and the vehicle just shut off. Nothing on the Jeep would work but we were lucky to get to the side of the road. Waited roughly 10 minutes and the Jeep started back up again. I was able to get it to the dealership and found out the TIPM was the issue. They stated the positive battery cable to TIPM was loose. They fixed this and it worked fine after, still I should have seen the writing on the wall.

- , Mt. Pleasant, SC, USA

Jul 062015

Grand Cherokee Laredo 3.2L V6

Having constant problems starting my Jeep Grand Cherokee 2011 Laredo. A Mechanic said is a tipm problem. Please call me to get a recall.

- , Valley Stream, NY, USA

May 272015

Grand Cherokee Laredo 3.6L V6

Jeep wasn't starting up sometimes. Found out about the P54 recall for the fuel pump. Took it in, they 'did service', went to pick it up and the POS didn't start at all. They looked at it again and determined the TIPM needed to be replaced completely for $1300. WHY GOD WHY.

Update from Jul 15, 2015: update: I called Chrysler's recall center about the issue. They said to go ahead and get it fixed and submit the novice for reimbursement. YAY! So I went forward and had the dealership replace it. Today I get a call from Chrysler and the woman said they will not reimburse me. NOOOO! This is why:

The dealership did the work for the recall. The vehicle started for them, they moved the vehicle and the work was complete. The Jeep's issue with the TIPM was a separate issue because "things sometimes break". YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME. You messed with it, made it worse, but NOPE.. "things sometimes break".

- , Orlando, FL, USA

Apr 222015

Grand Cherokee Special Edition 3.2L V6

My 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee was a Birthday gift, but my husband (who surprised me with it) hates my Jeep because of the issues we have with it. We received the "car fax" when we signed paperwork and it said "electrical issues." When we asked what that was about, the dealer said "oh, could be anything from a light bulb to needing help programming the radio." (In hindsight--shoulda ran!) 2 months later, the thing would beep at me and say "key has left the vehicle" while driving down the highway. Took it in several times and they would replace fob batteries, reprogram key fobs, or replace key fobs and reprogram. This went on forever until they replaced and reprogrammed both key fobs.

In October 2013, I took it in for an oil change and mentioned the Bluetooth has never worked and the previous issues with key fob notifications. The new dealer checked into it and ordered a new hands free module. Bluetooth worked and no issues with "key fob notifications." I thought this was the answer to all of the issues.

Fast-forward to October 2014 when my girl would not start. Took it in and they determined it to be the fuel pump relay and replaced it weeks later when the part came in--cost to me $434. 2 days later-literally, we received the safety recall for the TIPM and called service dept to see if these two were related-indeed they were. We called Chrysler and were able to receive reimbursement of $434 and they said to have the recall done to clear the recall for the vehicle.

Things were great, until this week (4-5 months later). My son got out of the car at school, closed the door, and "ding-key has left the vehicle." Now it says it as often as it did when we first bought it.

Is this problem different than the TIPM issue or are they related? Is there a permanent fix for the "key has left the vehicle" warning? I worry that this is going to be a vicious cycle and if it is, I'm getting rid of "my girl."

This is my 3rd Jeep--I love them, but this issue has me second-guessing the product.

- , Menifee, CA, USA

Apr 022015

Grand Cherokee Overland 3.2L V6

It all started one day when I opened up my drivers door and the interior lights flickered.

Then while driving at night I noticed the knob/dial used to turn on your Headlights, Fog Lights, Parking Lights etc etc etc... was pulsating... By pulsating I mean the illumination part above the knob/dial was flashing continuously - bright - dim-- bright - dim -- bright -- dim.

The following day I discovered NONE of the controls on the left side of the steering wheel worked. I could Not use the controls to change channels on my radio or increase / lower the volume...I could not use the telephone hands free controls when trying to make a phone call... Nothing on the left side of the steering wheel worked. The controls on the right side of the steering wheel worked fine.

A day or 2 later I discovered the controls on the Right side of the steering wheel had also Stopped Working, and my Horn also did not work.

About 1 day later I discovered All of the interior lights inside the vehicle stopped working. Regardless of what car door I opened --- None of the interior lights came on -- So I tried to turn them on Manually --- But they would not work.

On this same day one of the dash board Idiot lights come on.. indicating that my Traction Control was Off... The idiot light was a picture of a car with two squiggly lines behind it.... I tried pressing the Traction Control Button on the dash board panel alongside the steering wheel heater button... But it would not turn off.

Fortunately I already had an appointment scheduled for April 2nd at "Milford Auto Group Inc" to have Recall work completed on the Brake Booster and the Fuel Pump Relay.I have been dealing with "Milford Auto Group" for several years and have purchased 2 brand new vehicles from them.... I am extremely Happy with my Local Jeep Dealer.... They are really good / nice people. (they did not build my car... so my issues are Not with them)

Anyway -- On the Morning of April 2nd -- I got into my car to bring my vehicle in for service.As I started my vehicle --- My windshield wipers came on even though it was a dry clear sunny day.I tried to turn them off -- But they would Not turn off.....I tried squirting the windshield washer fluid --- but it would not squirt (yes reservoir was 3/4 full - I checked) My Rear Window Wiper However,,, would NOT turn on.... even though I tried to turn it on several times. (I was just curious to see if it would work..) I also had NO turn signals.They would not come on no matter how many times I flipped the lever up or down.My Headlights also came on and I could Not turn them off either...I drove 34 miles to my Jeep Dealer... and neither the Windshield Wipers or Headlights would turn off.

I had to leave the Vehicle with them as it was Not something they could fix while I waited.

They called me on April 4th to say my vehicle was ready..When I arrived I went over the repair paperwork and it showed the Service Tech REPLACED -- TOTALLY INTEGRATED POWER MODULE (part # 68244852AA) Cost for part $882 + $210 labor + $72 state tax

In Addition the Service Tech REPLACED --- STEERING CONTROL MODULE (part # 1HE80HL9AF) Cost for part $475 + $210 labor + $45 state tax

Today is April 5th...I did Not have any issues driving home from the Jeep Dealer after the Repairs were completed... So --- My Jeep which only has 47742 miles on it... is now operating the way it SHOULD BE.

I am Extremely Upset / Annoyed / Displeased / etc etc etc... With Chrysler.... for the POOR QUALITY of the Parts they used when Building My 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland....It Cost Me $1894 to have my vehicle fixed.... and these problems should not have occurred on such a new vehicle.

If My Jeep was 10 years old and had 150,000 miles on it... I would be more understanding about parts wearing out or going bad..... BUT being a 2011 with only 47,742 miles on it.... These Issues / Defects should Never have occurred....

In reading many of the other comments written here by other 2011 Jeep owners... It appears I am NOT the only one who has had these DEFECTS.... There are Quite a few ... AND Maybe ...NHTSA & Chrysler should classify this as a RECALL ITEM just as they have done with 3 other items that have plagued the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Models.....

I hope my information will Help someone else who may be experiencing similar problems with their Jeep Vehicle...

Tomorrow --- I will be Contacting the Chrysler Corporation to file my complaint with them & seek reimbursement for the Money that it cost me to repair my vehicle...

Thanks for letting me tell my story.....

- , Southbury, CT, USA

Apr 032015

Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L

After having the dealership do a butcher job, the right turn signal would flash the driving lights instead of the turn signal on the front of the vehicle. Took it back to the dealership and they claimed it was not them that butchered the wiring. I had just about had it at this point and traded it for a GMC vehicle, much happier now.

- , Eagle Pass, TX, USA

Mar 012015

Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L

We took it in for a temporary fix on the engine not starting. They have fixed the starting problems, but in the process de-programmed the TIPM where all the electrical system needs to be re-programmed. Had not realized the new problems till we tried to get the vehicle state inspection. They found the left turn signal was actually turning the driving lights on, and not the front signal light.Took it back to dealership and they did the temporary fix, and were told we needed to replace the TIPM for $1600. After a shoddy repair, come to find out on their part. Now we are stuck with the a useless vehicle.

- , Eagle Pass, TX, USA

Jan 042015

Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7L

I had an appointment on the 5th of January for the TIPM module to be replaced. Turns out all they want to do is a half-assed repair. But on the day before, while I was driving, the vehicle shut down. No electrical power at all. Had it towed to Chapman Chrysler for the recall and they called and told me that the TIPM module had a "melt down" and that I had to pay for the repair and that the TIPM module itself was not covered under the recall. That does not make any sense to me. So I had to pay 908.00 to have it replaced. What kind of a recall is that?? They actually admitted that it "melted down". This does not seem to be very fair to me. Chrysler does not want to man up and accept the responsibility of there bad product. They said they wanted to replace the fuel pump relay because it could cause the vehicle to shut down and cause an accident. Well my fuel pump relay was already replaced and my vehicle shut down on the highway at 45 MPH and I had no steering and no lights. It just don't make sense!

- , Warrington, PA, USA

Aug 012013

Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L

The vehicle had multiple incidents of not starting. Finally they determined the issue when the recall came out.

- , Canton, GA, USA

Oct 292014

Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 V6

Very disappointed with my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD! Having the same starting, or lack of starting problems mentioned on this site. When it does start, there are times it stalls as I back out. In my line of work, I must drive "off the grid" to remote sites. I won't risk being stranded, so I can't drive my Jeep. I took it to the dealership and was informed that the problem lies within the TIPM-7 & Chrysler is working on a fix but don't hold your breath cause it took 8 months for Chrysler to resolve a tow hitch problem.

- , Oxnard, CA, USA

Nov 042014

Grand Cherokee Overland V8

My Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland will NOT start. Several days ago when the problem first started - I did manage to get it started, but the dashboard was lit up like a Christmas tree! ABS light, Brake light, Service 4WD system, Park assist not operating, Blind spot indicators on. This is NOT a cheap ride....and neither is my payment, while this is sitting in my garage....UNABLE TO START. When searching for the problem it was discovered that even if it does start...it is very unsafe to drive! BULLSHIT, Chrysler - get it together and get the parts available to fix this problem!

- , Medina, OH, USA

Oct 012014

Grand Cherokee 5.7L Hemi

I HAVE A 2011 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE, AND THE TIPM HAS GONE OUT.

- , Bryans Road, MD, USA

Sep 022014

Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7L

Dies after starting on a regular basis. Windshield wipers start ramdomly, horn goes off in the middle of the night, door lock/unlock randomly, and turn signals blink fast after 5 seconds.

- , Centennial, Co, USA

Sep 242014

Grand Cherokee Laredo V6

Purchased a 2011 Jeep just 6 months ago. Very excited because as a grad student, I thought it would be awhile before I could afford a vehicle like this. Got up for work, would crank but wouldn't start. Had to be be towed to dealership!!!!! Chrysler says not included in warranty! The dealer told me, it was the TIPM, over $1000 to replace. The service manager tells me that there is a recall in the makes, could be released any day. If that's the case, why does Chrysler pretend not to know anything about this???

Update from Oct 4, 2014: I forgot to mention that the dealer charged me 100.00 to do some temporary rewiring so I could get it started. The next day, it wouldn't start when I got off work. I was told, "sorry about that- "we told you it was a temporary fix."

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jan 302012

Grand Cherokee Laredo 5.7L V8

After reading many other complaints I see that my vehicle seems to be also suffering from a faulty TIPM. My first attempt to start the car most days is met with what seems to be a lack of fuel but every other start that day is successful without incident. There is no consistent time, speed, or temperature related to what happens when the car is traveling. Every warning light on the dashboard lights up. Radio, a/c, turn signals, headlights, and other components stop working. Seat belt alert sounds even though they are fastened. Recently the car lost power briefly while traveling.

A little history. I purchased this car used with 15,000 miles in 2012. The dealer disclosed that the vehicle had been shipped back to Chrysler because of an electrical problem but it had been rectified. After 2 months I began experiencing the symptoms above but very sporadically so the dealer could not isolate the problem. Over the past 2 years I attempted to bring the car in again but it would never act up while in the service department.

About a month ago at 64,000 miles the engine started to fail, the headlights became a symptom and the light show became very frequent. I did not upload but have a video showing how the dashboard lights up and the malfunctioning headlights while driving at night. I returned to the dealer and they did confirm that the problem was the TIPM and I approved its replacement because it was no longer safe to drive the car. I reported this to Jeep and established a case number. The dealer confirmed 38 failures from their WiTech report.

Since replacing the TIPM I have had no issues. Jeep is considering reimbursing me for the $1270 expense but I have received no decision. I have spent countless hours at numerous dealerships while driving an unsafe vehicle. Hopefully Chrysler will get their act together and recall these vehicle before someone gets injured or killed. I was not willing to wait for them to drive a safe vehicle.

- , Miramar Beach, FL, USA

Sep 262014

Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L

My 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L has not started multiple times. Other symptoms include intermittent rough idle after starting, sputtering/missing when accelerating and uphill, and intermittent failing to shift at high RPM. Dealer proposing to install starter/fuel module relay which Chrysler has made due to "amount of people with this problem" but quoting me $410 for the repair. Was advised NOT to drive the car until this problem is fixed. No definitive diagnosis that this will fix all the symptoms.

Given that this issue is known, and has been known since 2011, and there is a "workaround" in place for the starting issue, despite seeming that the TIPM is bad I believe that not only should the repair be done at no cost but the defective TIPM should be replaced before someone gets hurt or killed!!!

- , Bellingham, WA, USA