Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The fourth generation Grand Cherokee took the relatively trouble-free run of the 3rd-generation and flipped the script.

From 2010 to 2011, complaints about the vehicle not starting increased 10-fold. In fact, the 2011 model year is riddled with engine problems and a defective TIPM might be to blame. The TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) distributes power to all the eletrical components in the vehicle, so when it starts acting funny so do numerous other components in the car. Orders for new TIPMs were so abundant that parts became scarce, prompting a class-action lawsuit claiming Chrysler ignored this obvious defect.

By 2012 complaints dropped back down by about 80%. Needless to say, if you see a used 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee on a lot just keep walking.

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Mar 122011

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4. While stopped at the light, the check engine light illuminated and the vehicle suddenly accelerated while the brake was depressed. There was an abnormal increase in rpms to 3,000. The contact placed the gear in park, turned the vehicle off and the engine returned to normal for a moment before continuing to accelerate abnormally. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who performed a diagnostic and located the failure at the throttle body. The dealer replaced the accelerator pedal and the throttle body but to no avail as the failure continued to recur. The manufacturer was contacted and they advised the contact to take the vehicle back to the dealer. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 4,000 and the current mileage was 4,300.

- Wantath , NY, USA

Jan 312011

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

I purchased a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee X package on 1/18/2011. 2 weeks after purchasing vehicle I was stopped at a light, while my foot was on the brake the car surged forward almost hitting the car in front of me. Car continued to accelerate on its own I had to ride the brake home. Dealer said he never had this problem before and had no clue what to do so he had to wait for Chrysler to call him to tell him what to do, should have red flagged this answer. # days later dealer called said car was fixed, it was a bad sensor on the gas pedal, replaced, and agreed me it was safe to drive. A week later, I was stopped at a stop sign waiting to make a right turn on the way home from dropping off my kids at school, the car accelerated forward suddenly, electronic throttle light and engine light came on, the car accelerated forward skidding out onto the sidewalk almost hitting a pole. Due to my quick thinking I avoided death twice in this car. My husband and I bought this as a first car for my daughter, the thought of a new driver driving this deathtrap is scary. I will never put myself or anyone in my family in this car, it is seriously a death threat to drivers and pedestrians. Chrysler better man up before more people lose their lives.

- Wantagh, NY, USA

Nov 062010

Grand Cherokee

When driving between 0 to 5 miles per hour I pressed on the accelerator pedal while the auto was either on level surface or at the beginning of a small incline the auto did not move forward. Then I shifted the auto into reverse and stepped on the accelerator pedal and the auto did not move backwards. I then turned the auto off with the auto shifted into park. Then I restarted the auto and shifted into drive and pressed on the accelerator pedal and the auto did move forward. The same day I brought the auto into the Jeep dealer whom I leased the auto from just five days earlier, to identify and fix the defect causing the aforementioned problem. On Monday 11/8/10 the dealer informed me the vehicle is operating as designed and they found nothing wrong with it, and they returned the vehicle to me. I am concerned that the defect which caused the aforementioned problem on 11/6/10 could cause reoccurrence(s) of the aforementioned problem (even at higher speeds)

- Roslyn Heights, NY, USA