CarComplaints.com Notes: The fourth generation Grand Cherokee took the relatively trouble-free run of the 3rd-generation and flipped the script.

From 2010 to 2011, complaints about the vehicle not starting increased 10-fold. In fact, the 2011 model year is riddled with engine problems and a defective TIPM might be to blame. The TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) distributes power to all the eletrical components in the vehicle, so when it starts acting funny so do numerous other components in the car. Orders for new TIPMs were so abundant that parts became scarce, prompting a class-action lawsuit claiming Chrysler ignored this obvious defect.

By 2012 complaints dropped back down by about 80%. Needless to say, if you see a used 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee on a lot just keep walking.

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 232016

Grand Cherokee

Dealer is not getting parts to fix problem. I have received a recall notice on this 3 or 4 times and each time the dealer states they don't have the part. The issue is the sun visor wiring. Recall notice: R71/NHTSA 15V-879.

- Hannibal, MO, USA

Jan 202016

Grand Cherokee

I have had our Jeep into genesee valley Chrysler Jeep twice (since January 2016) since this recall came out and they still say that they don't have the parts. We have had no issue yet, but this is getting to be too long

- Caledonia, NY, USA

Jul 302016

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving 55 mph, the low beam headlights were too dim and prevented the driver from seeing one car length in front of the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 32,000.

- Beaver Dam, WI, USA

Feb 262016

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V879000 (electrical system, interior lighting) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Jun 212016

Grand Cherokee

I took my 2011 Grand Cherokee to the dealer for the normal maintenance. However, there were a couple of recalls so I asked them to take care of them. Recalls were related to the fuel pump relay and to the sun visor (which apparently can short-circuit and cause a fire). There was a firmware update for the tipm also so I got that done too. 3 weeks later, I get on my car, I put the ignition to on and the wipers went on, I tried to turn them off and I couldn't. this is a list of all the symptoms: - turn signals not working - rear wiper not working - front wipers on - traction control off and no way to turn it back on - buttons on the steering wheel not working, none of them, except for the ones that control the radio - heated steering wheel, tow/haul, traction control and 110V plug switches not responding - interior lights not working - headlights worked but no way to control high or low beams I did some research online, found that some other people were having the same issue and some of them said that they had the issue resolved by leaving the battery unplugged overnight, it didnt work. I took the wipers out (since I couldn't turn them off) and took my car to the dealer (without turn signals). They've had the car for 2 days already, yesterday they called me back and told me they were still trying to determinate the issue but that it could be a defective tipm. I have no idea of how much this is going to cost to get fixed but the truth is, I got this car 2 months ago, looked perfectly fine, very well maintained and now I will probably have to put more money out of my pocket to get this thing resolved. Reading on the forums I have also become aware of the big safety issues that a faulty tipm may cause, read of people's cars stalling in the middle of traffic! I am really concerned now about my safety and I wish I didn't buy this car.

- San Juan, PR, USA

Nov 202015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the drivers side-turning signal failed to function. The contact noticed that the rear tail light casing was burning internally. The contact had the dealer replace the lighting; however the failure recurred on the passenger side tail light. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the passenger side bulb failed because of water leaking in the tail light assembly. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 58,815....updated 04/12/16

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Feb 212016

Grand Cherokee

Tail lamps, right and left, melt causing turn and brake light failure exposing the vehicle and its passengers to crash. This issue is very recurrent, I have to change to right bulb at least 2 times a month.

- Caguas, PR, USA

Oct 312015

Grand Cherokee

We were driving last Saturday, we were driving onto a busy main street the car was in motion, another made a illegal move and swireved into our vehicle, we honked but the horn wouldn't work. We stopped the vehicle. The other driver apologized with a wave of their hand. We started to drive again, trying to use the horn with no success. About 15 later the horn started to sound. The horn has stopped and started. This vehicle has had numerous recalls.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 102015

Grand Cherokee

10/10/2015 at approximately 320 pm cdt, I was driving I35 South between duluth mn and minneapolis mn. Smoke started billowing out of the headliner, rh side above the windshield/sun visor. I pilled to the side of the road, pulled the a pillar and pulled down the headliner. Flames were present, I reached in thinking it was a wire (it was) sustained burns on my right hand. Grabbed the owners manual, located the fuse for courtesy lights under the hood, pulled the 15 amp fuse (which had not blown). Removed the sun visor and vanity light, and associated wiring. Fire was extinguished at that point. Removed the visor and wiring, found a burned connector and smoldering wiring. Grabbed a side cutter and terminated the wiring to the lighted vanity light, after removing the center upper map light assembly. I sustained minor burns right hand (three fingers). Vehicle was in motion when fire broke out speed 70 mph. Vehicle damage was inspected by duluth Jeep, duluth mn. Duluth Jeep kept the removed parts. Recall #36 was accomplished 11/2014 by duluth Jeep.

- Duluth, MN, USA

Oct 162015

Grand Cherokee

A friend told me that I had a headlight out. My dash was not showing that I had a light out and I couldn't tell when I was driving. I took it to advance auto parts to buy a new headlight. At that time, the headlight was working fine. I took it to a shop where they told me that they would have to take the front of the car off in order to replace it. They said that the issue was with the ballast and that they could not fix it.

- Lexington, SC, USA

Aug 132015

Grand Cherokee

1. the vehicles head has to be replaced due to bad valves at only 59,000 miles. 2. the front right turn signal stopped working, and is burning the bulb socket and headlight housing. It was determined by an independent mechanic that the tipm module is going bad causing shorts, and other electrical issues. (the dealer claims it is a burned bulb socket, but we tested the socket, and entire system and found the true problem) 3. the horn stops working randomly, and sometimes when it does work its only the high tone. This problem is also traced back to a faulty tipm module.

- Barrigada, GU, USA

Jul 162015

Grand Cherokee

While motoring along, my wife and I noticed an acrid smell which became more and more intense until our eyes began to burn and it became clear that the acrid smell was from our own vehicle, and not from another source such as some other vehicle driving ahead of us. We pulled off the road and immediately we saw smoke coming from the passenger-side sun visor which was is the up position. We shut the car off and flipped down the sun visor to see what was going on, and the visor broke off as we did so. Sparks and molten metal began dripping from wires which protruded from the headliner. It was clear by the amount of smoke that the headliner itself was on fire in between the passenger compartment and the roof panel, and almost immediately flames burned through the headliner material. By purest chance a police vehicle drove by at that moment; we flagged the officer down and he produced a fire extinguisher from his vehicle and put out the fire. The flames were spreading so quickly that it was clear that, had the officer not happened by at that moment, our vehicle would have been completely destroyed. The fire department was called and they disconnected the battery to insure there could be no further electrical fire and that it was safe to tow away the vehicle. In 2014 we received a recall notice from Jeep (real P36) which cited a possible risk of fire due to resistance in the wiring of the vanity lamp.the recall repairs were performed by our local dealer in December, 2014.

- Madison, CT, USA

Dec 162014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

I have had my Jeep worked on twice to fix the tipm at billy craft Chrysler Jeep. In August they advised they were doing a temporary fix. On December 16, 2014 they indicated that they completed recall P54 and input this into the system as complete - my vehicle has now started having the same problems. In addition when the temporary fix was done in August this caused the automatic high beam sensor to stop working - billy craft states this is a coincidence and unrelated. Despite indicating the recall was completed in its entirety, I found out this week billy craft Chrysler Jeep did not in fact complete the recall despite telling me they did and inputting into the corporate Jeep system that this had been completed as of 12/16/14. I am now having to take the vehicle back again to have the actual fix completed. If there are recalls made, the shops performing the recall fixes should maintain a high level of integrity and actually complete these or there should be some type of corrective action taken against their business. I am now working with the general manager and will be trading my Jeep in as soon as possible. My safety and the safety of others on the roads is not worth this.

- Forest, VA, USA

Dec 212014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Repair of blown front running light reveled defective electrical socket that was overheating and creates a safety fire hazard. Bulb socket badly burned and needs replacement due to faulty part. This is a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4 overland with only 36,000 miles. Repair mechanic described electrical socket as a level 1 safety hazard.

- Greer, SC, USA

Jul 152014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Chrysler is still not making this part available to dealers so that it can be installed. This part can fail without warning and cause the engine to stall while in motion. My dealer is ready and willing to replace this relay, but it is not yet in production.

- Boise, ID, USA

Nov 042014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V530000 (fuel system) and NHTSA campaign number: 14V391000 (exterior lighting and electrical system). The part needed was unavailable to repair the vehicle. The dealer was unable to inform when the part would become available. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Englewood , CA, USA

Nov 042014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V530000 (fuel system), NHTSA campaign number: 14V391000 (exterior lighting, electrical system) and NHTSA campaign number: 14V154000 (service brakes, service brakes, hydraulic). However, the parts needed were unavailable to repair the vehicle. The dealer was unable to inform when the part would become available. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- New Hope , MN, USA

Sep 032014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

I was driving on I-75 at night and my lights suddenly went out. The only thing that stayed on were my running lights. I pulled off to check car and front head lights and back lights were not functioning. Fortunately my flashers worked, so I managed to get home with my flashers flashing and dome lights on. My dash lights stayed on but dimmed periodically. It was a very dangerous situation. When I got close to home, all the lights came back on. I took it to dealership where they checked the car out and could find nothing wrong with the electrical system. I now don't trust the car and won't drive it at night.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Oct 162014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V391000 (lighting, electrical system) and NHTSA campaign number: 14V154000 (service brakes, service brakes, hydraulic) however, the parts to do the repairs were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The manufacturer was not notified of the delay. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Prescott, AZ, USA

Sep 292014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

After reading many other complaints I see that my vehicle seems to also be suffering from a faulty tipm. My first attempt to start the car most days is met with what seems to be a lack of fuel but every other attempt to start the car the same day is successful without incident. There is no consistent time, speed or temperature related to what happens when the car is traveling. The dashboard lights up, radio, A/C, turn signals and headlights turn off and seat belt alert sounds. Only once has vehicle lost power briefly. When I first purchased this vehicle in 2012 the dealer cold not find the source of the problem. Now it is happening much more frequently but before I take it to the dealer and pay for the tipm I want to verify that it is a recall item. Another issue that began recently is the front passenger door would not close if opened from the inside unless we pull the exterior handle twice. I was told that this was not covered and would cost around $600.

- Miramar Beach, FL, USA