Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2012 Grand Cherokee hasn’t seen the same complaint volume as the 2011, at least not yet.

It’s worth noting both model years are part of a class-action lawsuit that focuses on a defective TIPM and a long wait for replacement parts.

The 2012 also received national attention after it failed a Sweedish Magazine’s “moose test”. the test measures a vehicle’s ability to swerve out of the way of an obstacle you wouldn’t want to hit while driving down the road … like a moose.

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments

Sep 142016

Grand Cherokee

Car was making humming sound during a 3 mile drive to work. Leaving work that same evening, car hummed for a few minutes and the red battery light came on. Drove home the 3 miles and my husband could not get any "codes" to come up on the reading device he plugged into the car. Next morning drove 2 miles and the light light came on again, no codes again. Two hours later drove 3 miles to hair salon, light came on and when I parked and turned off my car, steam/smoke started coming out the front of the hood. Luckily a pep boys was in same shopping center they came to assist me. They tried to start my car to drive it a few doors down to their shop, car was completely dead and would not take a battery charge after trying over and over again for a few hours. Finally had a tow truck pick it up to move a few doors down to pep boys. They replaced alternator and battery and now the light has come back on again, the day after picking it back up. Further tests are not being done, but replaced the alternator and battery at a cost of $938.

- Cumming, GA, USA

Aug 182016

Grand Cherokee

For the last 30,000 miles the car stalls while driving; mostly when slowing down to make a right turn. I have taken it to the dealer several times and they can't find anything wrong. The car is now doing it more often and I am concerned that I can get in a car accident. This week stopped on Monday August 15th and Thursday, August 18th both times during a right turn; the first in the afternoon turning on city street and today turning from the highway, from a speed of 55mph to 25mph. The car has 58,000 miles and I don't feel safe driving it. Every time I slow down for a turn, I am concerned that the car may stop. The dealer has had the car for over a week twice and they can't find the problem. What should I do next?

- American Canyon, CA, USA

Jun 242016

Grand Cherokee

Leather on dash started wrinkling/bubbling then just peeled back (leather dash has delaminated). I am being told the wrinkles in the leather dash could cause an irregular passenger airbag deployment. Dealership rick hendrick of charleston and hoover of summerville only concerned with proper deployment of passenger airbag. Leather dash coming loose with significant wrinkles and distortion. Will affect passenger airbag deployment per design intent due to deviation in tear seam geometry. Research states the dash problem is a result of a supplier not performing the correct application of adhesive and cure procedures.

- Ladson, SC, USA

Apr 012016

Grand Cherokee

My leather on dash started bubbling then it just peeled back (leather dash has delaminated). I am being told the wrinkles in the leather dash could cause an irregular passenger airbag deployment.

- Myrtle Beach, SC, USA

Mar 192016

Grand Cherokee

Uconnect is no longer working, looked online and in Jeep forum many people have been complaining about this problem for years and Jeep and iphone are well aware of the problem, I called the Jeep uconnect telephone number and if they cannot do a soft reset you must go to the dealer to fix the problem, if you are out of warranty you must pay, has been going for a long time and ties back to iphone issues with iphone updates. When asked why I need to pay for a service that needs to be reset due to a manufacturer problem I was informed that this is just the way it is.

- Dorchester, MA, USA

Mar 012016

Grand Cherokee

Repeated recall P36 (executed) then R71 for vanity light wiring. I don't understand why the manufacturer can notify and then postpone any fix for nearly a year! this problem was supposedly fixed with recall P36 and can result in a vehicle fire, now a new recall R71 is issued that will not be executed for nearly year. What am I supposed to do carry a fire extinguisher?

- Greenwood, IN, USA

Oct 022015

Grand Cherokee

Well not feel safe driving this car since I purchase this car 4-5 recall on this car and no happy to take for repair because used my own time for this

- Denver, CO, USA

Oct 142014

Grand Cherokee

A year ago I called my dealership about my car not starting just weeks after completing a major (normal) service. After complaining to the dealership and Jeep directly, I had my Jeep towed and they agreed to fix the fuel pump (a recall that had recently come out, but not yet on my specific Jeep). The fix seemed to work for a few months, but then began happening again, only now I can sometimes start the Jeep after waiting awhile. Less than 2 months ago when my Jeep wouldn't start again, I called scheduled an appointment to have it fixed again, along with an oil change. When I picked up my Jeep, I learned that the fix was not done. The mechanic noted that it had already been done. I complained to the cashiers that the Jeep not starting was the main reason I brought the Jeep in. I asked to speak to someone, but they couldn't find my service adviser. I asked them to have him call me. He never called. I left several messages and I've sent emails to the supervisor, and no return calls. Now I have a new problem in addition to the Jeep not always starting, I have a significant water sloshing noise coming from the passenger side. Note: Each time that my car has failed to start, it was first in the off position and parked. The number of times my Jeep has failed to start, or died after start had been more than 10 times.

- Alamo, CA, USA

Sep 212015

Grand Cherokee

This vehicle had the recommended recall repair for the sun visor completed on 5/19/2105. While driving the area above the rear view mirror began to emit smoke and within about 30 seconds flames erupted from the same area. The flames quickly spread towards the passenger side sun visor as I frantically looked for a safe place to pull over. It was 5:45am on a dark country road with no shoulder. I turned the vehicle off, exited the vehicle and called 911. The flames continued for at least another 15 minutes. When firefighters arrived they had difficulty stopping the burning though it was small because they could not access the battery for the vehicle (it is apparently located under the front passenger seat and unaccessible other than from under the vehicle.) firefighters had to completely disassemble the electrical system to the sun visors to stop the burning. They identified a screw and wire that were the cause of the fire. It was not until I returned home and researched the recall that I discovered that the screw and wire assembly is the cause of the fires. This recall repair obviously is not a resolution to the problem. Had the flames spread to the driver side area I would have been injured or possible killed. Had I had a passenger in the vehicle they could have been injured or killed also!!

- Tampa, FL, USA

May 152015

Grand Cherokee

I was driving on the highway and my sunroof shattered. I had a state trooper check out the damage and he saw no sign of a foreign object.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 092015

Grand Cherokee

The issue with my car was exactly the same as its sister product, 2012-2013 Jeep Wrangler, which was recalled for this problem - reference the NHTSA campaign id no. 13V234000. The same design flaw exists in the 2012-2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee and these models also need to be recalled. Problem: The power steering return line contacts and wears a hole in the aluminum transmission oil cooler line. There is no warning light or obvious low fluid levels, so an owner may not have any way to know when it happens. Risk: Such a condition can result in a loss of transmission fluid without the owner's knowledge, which may cause transmission damage and loss of function. In my case, there was no warning light or obvious low fluid levels. I continued to drive it until a regularly scheduled check up. I am unsure of whether there is any undetected damage, but I was told that I was only miles away from burning my transmission out and it shutting down. The repair cost was $849.27 at the local dealership. However, if it had shut down while driving on the highway, which I do often as a single mom with two daughters, the vehicle could have lost function while driving. Why isn't this recalled already? it's not safe and it's the same exact problem as it's sister product that was already recalled!

- Stillwater, Ok, OK, USA

Oct 012014

Grand Cherokee

Heard high pitched noise from possible steering column. Took to dealer and was told alternator was bad but was never contacted about recall P-60 from 10/14. Apparently my VIN number wasn't registered for that recall even though my alternator went bad. Sound is still there. Took car 4 times. Last time told power steering fluid low. Sound still there. Whistling noise inside of car only. Heard better when parked or stopped. If move steering wheel sound goes in and out. Filed complaint against brandywine Chrysler Plymouth for rudeness and being very dismissive and biased because I am a woman. They stated normal sound but sound is new and not always consistent and only just started recently was not there at time I bought the car. It's a 2012 with only 16,000 miles on it. At this point do not recommend a Jeep to anyone or any car from that dealer. Currently waiting on 3rd recall parts to come in. I'm going to go to an independent repair shop and take legal action if necessary.....updated 10-20-15

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Dec 142012

Grand Cherokee

I have an ongoing problem with starting my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 overland. The Jeep will start but will stall right away. Sometimes if you put the Jeep in gear quickly it will stall in gear also. Most of the time it stalls right after starting. I have to shut the Jeep off and press the start button again to get it started. I have had this Jeep at the dealership (Colorado Chrysler Jeep) multiple times over the last two years and the "resolution" for the dealership is that they can not recreate the problem. On 4/10/15 the dealership said that it stalled on them and they replaced a switch ig 08053059. Received the Jeep back and it stalled the next day. Called Colorado Chrysler Jeep back and they said that the service department would have to get an electrician in to have it looked at and that would take a couple of weeks. I called Chrysler at this point and Chrysler had me take the Jeep into cherry creek Dodge because they could "get me in quicker". on 5/22/15 I took the Jeep to cherry creek Dodge and the service department performed procedure S1308000399 5/2015 outlined in Chrysler's star system. The next day the Jeep stalled. I have called back multiple times to both Chrysler and cherry creek Dodge with either no answer or no solution. Cherry creek Dodge is now putting me of with a new recall saying the service department thinks that will fix the problem, and Chrysler wants to go with what cherry creek Dodge says. My problem is that this has been going on for two years. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Ever day the Jeep stalls at some point. Any assistance with this problem would be greatly appreciated. We first noticed this problem at about 25,000 miles. We took the Jeep to Colorado Chrysler at 35,451 miles and the Jeep has about 54,000 miles now. At first the stalling was just every once in a while, now it happens daily.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Dec 312014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Prestige cjd of las vegas is falsifying documents and telling the customer that they have serviced recall parts on their vehicle and they have not! furthermore, prestige cjd put up barriers to prevent the customer from bringing in their vehicles for recall repairs! P36 and P14.

- North Las Vegas, NV, USA

Feb 032015

Grand Cherokee

Driving home from work 22.5 miles I noticed a whine that increased in volume and pitch depending on engine RPM. Upon arriving at home and exiting the vehicle I noticed an odd odor that smelled like something burning. I opened the hood of the vehicle and noticed black smoke coming from the vicinity of the alternator. There were no flames present and I noticed discoloration on the alternator.

- Winston-Salem, NC, USA

Jun 022014

Grand Cherokee

I have contacted larry miller Chrysler Jeep in thornton Colorado in June 2014 asking to have my vehicle serviced for the recall (s). I was told that they would have to order the part. In October 2014 (5 months later) I called to see why I was not getting called in for the recall service. A very rude parts department staff laughed and told me it could be months as there weren't enough parts. He told me to just wait until I was contacted. It has now been a full 7 months and I am still waiting on the call to get my recall (s) taken care of.

- Thornton, CO, USA

Nov 072014

Grand Cherokee

2012 Grand Cherokee Laredo, consumer stated manufacturerfound a defect in the brake booster, which prevented the vehicle from stopping.

- Waterbury, CT, USA

Sep 202014

Grand Cherokee

Fuel pump continues to run after car shut off. Result is a dead battery and my car in the shop.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA