CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2014 (and 2015) Jeep Grand Cherokee shows an early trend of transmission complaints. Most of the complaints are for rough shifting — things like jerking & hesitation when shifting gears.

We are keeping an eye on things but the 2014 Grand Cherokee doesn't look like a good model year compared to past years.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 11 of 12)

May 232014

Grand Cherokee

Traveling at highway speed numerous warning messages and warning chimes started to go off. Created distractions to driving and it appears that air bag and seat belts stopped functioning intermittently. Cruise control also failed. Vehicle already serviced on all prior recalls two months ago. These issues are new starting on 5/23/2014. Dealer appt is scheduled for 5/26/2014. In past, also reported issues with transmission shifting and HVAC. Not a well tested vehicle. Far too many dangerous issues with vehicle. Hope NHTSA can investigate issues.

- Wildwood, MO, USA

May 232014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

I noticed grease coating inside of front wheel while washing car. Upon inspection, the cv boot appeared ajar and the assembly was exposed. Only 170 miles on the vehicle before failure of component. With a little research on Jeep garage forum, many consumers are complaining, specifically with build dates around March 2014, which this car is presumed built around. Unknown if second failure of passenger side cv boot is immanent.. car is now in the dealer lot awaiting assembly component.

- Glen Mills Pa, PA, USA

May 202014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Failure in drivers side cv joint. Grease splattered everywhere. Upon investigation, this is a common issue that Jeep will not address proactively. I asked service to replace both halves as one side failure is a sure sign that they both will go. They refused insisting again that the other one was fine. That's what they told me before I took delivery - they were both fine. Now, I'll have to go through this process twice - on a truck that is 9 days old.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Apr 102014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

After only a few days of ownership, I noticed my front wheels were covered with grease on the inside. I took it to the dealer and the service man was surprised when he noticed my cv boots were completely missing on both the left and right front wheels. Dealer replaced both shaft axles. There are many other people who have experienced this same issue. You can read about it more at this website link: www.jeepgarage.org/F73/grease-in-both-front-wheels-normal-73976.html.

- Lansdowne, PA, USA

Apr 282014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Observed grease splattered on the inside of both front wheels. Took vehicle to the dealership where they determined the car needed to have its axles replaced. Believe both cv boots failed spilling grease onto wheels and axles.

- Arlington, VA, USA

May 192014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

The front right cv joint boot failed and the grease flew out all over the front wheel and brake components.

- Springfield, PA, USA

May 122014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

At around 1200 miles, I noticed grease on the driver side wheel. After looking underneath the vehicle I saw that the drivers side axle boot clamp has failed, resulting in the boot coming off the axle and spraying axle grease all over the wheel, suspension and brakes.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

May 092014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Cv boots are not properly secured resulting in the exposure of cv shaft to the elements and loss of grease. Notified rick hendrick Jeep in charleston, SC. The part is on backorder and was instructed to continue to drive the vehicle until replacement shaft arrived.

- Charleston, SC, USA

May 162014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle was purchased new. Took 3 months to build and was delivered on April 30, 2014 to dunn Chrysler Jeep in lebanon, ky. Read on jeepforum.com that the front cv boots on Jeep Grand Cherokee built during March and April 2014 were failing. They were coming apart and were slinging grease everywhere. Sometimes it was the right front axle and other times it was the left front axle. Crawled under my vehicle which was built April 2014 and both front axles had grease slung all over both front wheels and cv boots were shot. Vehicle is basically unsafe to drive until front axles are replaced.

- Smiths Grove, KY, USA

May 142014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Vehicle was traveling at approximately 50 mph when it violently jerked and the engine light came on. I stopped the car and noticed that the number 6 remained next to the 'd' gear indicator. When I tried to drive and pressed the accelerator, the engine roared but the car barely moved. The number 6 remained on. The car was towed to the dealer, who told me that I need a new transmission at 1,900 miles!

- Manalapan, NJ, USA

Dec 132013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to shift. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 350 and the current mileage was 5,300.

- St Louis, MO, USA

Apr 202014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

While traveling home from a family vacation at about 40 mph my seat belt light started flashing saying that the driver and passenger air seat belt was not engaged along with the lights and dinging alarm saying that the air bag is in need of service, this has not gone off and the dinging is constant. I called and set up an appointment at the dealership and waited 4 hours for them to tell me that they did not have parts needed to repair the issue that it was on back order (at least 1 1/2 weeks) but would not be providing a rental car since the car was still drive able and that they would call when the part was in. I am very upset because I am in the automotive industry and know that this is a safety concern/ risk. I have also been experiencing issues with my transmission. I regret making this purchase.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Apr 072014

Grand Cherokee

I have a long narrow driveway with a bit of a slope toward the house. When going out the driveway I seen a trash container tipped over. I put the vehicle in park, letting it idle, while I exited the vehicle to remove the container. Looking back I seen the Jeep backing down the driveway toward the house under it's own power. I tried catch it, but it hit the side of the home on a garage wall. Total damage to the vehicle is around $9400 I've yet to get the house damage estimate back. I didn't see if the vehicle was in park or reverse when I exited. I pushed the shifter clear forward till it stopped, then exited. The shifter has to go thru reverse before it gets to park. In the past I've noticed that it did not always go into park when I had put it there. I drive like normal people drive. I have 55+ years of driving experience. We shift by feel and not always looking down at the shifter. When a shift lever goes thru the motion forward and stops, we expect it to be in park, not reverse. This is a major flaw in the vehicle. I love the new 8 speed transmission, but don't trust the shifting mechanism. My wife is very reluctant to drive it because of this issue. I've contacted Chrysler about the issue. They seem concerned and are wanting to look at the vehicle when repaired. However, I'm not certain, hearing about other issues with vehicles, whether they are just trying to blow smoke until I quite down. I did obtain a leg injury when attempting to stop the vehicle. Not serious, but surely could have been. Had there been a child, pet or other person behind the vehicle, it could have been disastrous. There needs to be a fix to this problem. I have a family member that works for state farm insurance. They've also had similar complaints. There's not detent in the shifting, it just goes forward and stops. All electronic, not mechanical as they used to be.

- Fort Collins, CO, USA

Apr 242013

Grand Cherokee

Since I bought this vehicle when one turns a corner and the paddle shifter is in advertently touched the car can drop into any gear and can slow so that one stands a risk of being rear ended as has narrowly happened to me. There is a real need to prevent this dangerous behavior to have a preventer mechanism of some sort to prevent this by reprogramming the software or by mechanical means by installing a switch of some sort that must be separately engaged to transfer control of gear to the paddle shifter.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Nov 182013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Transmission was replaced at approx. 16K miles. Other Jeep owners are experiencing issues with the transmission. Was taken in for service at 10K, 11,658K and now 16K for repair with ultimately replacing transmission; key fob does not work daily - will not lock vehicle nor will vehicle start for a period of approx ten to 15 minutes after being able to get into vehicle - dealership/service continues to indicate they can't duplicate despite my having this issue every day.

- Smithfield, VA, USA

Apr 032014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl Diesel

Driving on an interstate freeway with adaptive cruise control activated. Cruise control deactivated on its own, mil illuminated and the transmission began slipping severely resulting in drastic loss of power and vehicle speed in interstate traffic. Rolled vehicle to shoulder and noticed transmission fluid coating the entire undercarriage of the vehicle as well as all over the ground under the vehicle. Dealer diagnosis was an improperly routed at the factory transmission cooler line that was in contact with the driveline causing the line to wear through and leak transmission fluid. While there wasn't a fire, one could easily have started when the transmission oil contacted hot exhaust system components near the transmission.

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Nov 062013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving 75 mph, the vehicle downshifted independently and without warnings. Additionally, the vehicle failed to accelerate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer however, the technician was unable to diagnosed the failure and stated that the vehicle was working up to standards. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 1000 and the current mileage was 10,000.

- Brunswick, GA, USA

Mar 202014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

When driving vehicle on a cold morning after leaving house and stopping about 1/2 mile from home. The transmission failed to downshift to first and remained in 7th gear. When attempted to proceed from stoplight the vehicle bogged and would hardly move and the check engine light came on. At this point the vehicle was pulled to the side of the road turned off and restarted and the transmission shifted with the check engine light remaining on. The vehicle was returned home and three hours later the check engine light was off when the vehicle was taken to the dealer. The dealer said there was no code for the check engine light or transmission issue when it was checked at 11:00 am that day.

- Pinckney, MI, USA

Mar 022014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

I was at a full stop. I made a left turn and the vehicle just accelerated more than expected and ran into a tree. The tree was unearthed, the front of the vehicle was completely destroyed. It was totaled by the insurance company.

- Elmont , NY, USA

Nov 012013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Parking vehicle and putting into park. Exited the vehicle and car started moving. Shifter was not in park. Very fussy shifter. You can not tell it's in park unless you look each time. Even though you push it all the way up sometimes it is not in park. I had the car start rolling several times after exiting the car.

- Winston Salem, NC, USA