Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2014 (and 2015) Jeep Grand Cherokee shows an early trend of transmission complaints. Most of the complaints are for rough shifting — things like jerking & hesitation when shifting gears.

We are keeping an eye on things but the 2014 Grand Cherokee doesn't look like a good model year compared to past years.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 11 of 12)

Apr 072014

Grand Cherokee

I have a long narrow driveway with a bit of a slope toward the house. When going out the driveway I seen a trash container tipped over. I put the vehicle in park, letting it idle, while I exited the vehicle to remove the container. Looking back I seen the Jeep backing down the driveway toward the house under it's own power. I tried catch it, but it hit the side of the home on a garage wall. Total damage to the vehicle is around $9400 I've yet to get the house damage estimate back. I didn't see if the vehicle was in park or reverse when I exited. I pushed the shifter clear forward till it stopped, then exited. The shifter has to go thru reverse before it gets to park. In the past I've noticed that it did not always go into park when I had put it there. I drive like normal people drive. I have 55+ years of driving experience. We shift by feel and not always looking down at the shifter. When a shift lever goes thru the motion forward and stops, we expect it to be in park, not reverse. This is a major flaw in the vehicle. I love the new 8 speed transmission, but don't trust the shifting mechanism. My wife is very reluctant to drive it because of this issue. I've contacted Chrysler about the issue. They seem concerned and are wanting to look at the vehicle when repaired. However, I'm not certain, hearing about other issues with vehicles, whether they are just trying to blow smoke until I quite down. I did obtain a leg injury when attempting to stop the vehicle. Not serious, but surely could have been. Had there been a child, pet or other person behind the vehicle, it could have been disastrous. There needs to be a fix to this problem. I have a family member that works for state farm insurance. They've also had similar complaints. There's not detent in the shifting, it just goes forward and stops. All electronic, not mechanical as they used to be.

- Fort Collins, CO, USA

Apr 242013

Grand Cherokee

Since I bought this vehicle when one turns a corner and the paddle shifter is in advertently touched the car can drop into any gear and can slow so that one stands a risk of being rear ended as has narrowly happened to me. There is a real need to prevent this dangerous behavior to have a preventer mechanism of some sort to prevent this by reprogramming the software or by mechanical means by installing a switch of some sort that must be separately engaged to transfer control of gear to the paddle shifter.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Nov 182013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Transmission was replaced at approx. 16K miles. Other Jeep owners are experiencing issues with the transmission. Was taken in for service at 10K, 11,658K and now 16K for repair with ultimately replacing transmission; key fob does not work daily - will not lock vehicle nor will vehicle start for a period of approx ten to 15 minutes after being able to get into vehicle - dealership/service continues to indicate they can't duplicate despite my having this issue every day.

- Smithfield, VA, USA

Apr 032014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl Diesel

Driving on an interstate freeway with adaptive cruise control activated. Cruise control deactivated on its own, mil illuminated and the transmission began slipping severely resulting in drastic loss of power and vehicle speed in interstate traffic. Rolled vehicle to shoulder and noticed transmission fluid coating the entire undercarriage of the vehicle as well as all over the ground under the vehicle. Dealer diagnosis was an improperly routed at the factory transmission cooler line that was in contact with the driveline causing the line to wear through and leak transmission fluid. While there wasn't a fire, one could easily have started when the transmission oil contacted hot exhaust system components near the transmission.

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Nov 062013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving 75 mph, the vehicle downshifted independently and without warnings. Additionally, the vehicle failed to accelerate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer however, the technician was unable to diagnosed the failure and stated that the vehicle was working up to standards. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 1000 and the current mileage was 10,000.

- Brunswick, GA, USA

Mar 202014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

When driving vehicle on a cold morning after leaving house and stopping about 1/2 mile from home. The transmission failed to downshift to first and remained in 7th gear. When attempted to proceed from stoplight the vehicle bogged and would hardly move and the check engine light came on. At this point the vehicle was pulled to the side of the road turned off and restarted and the transmission shifted with the check engine light remaining on. The vehicle was returned home and three hours later the check engine light was off when the vehicle was taken to the dealer. The dealer said there was no code for the check engine light or transmission issue when it was checked at 11:00 am that day.

- Pinckney, MI, USA

Mar 022014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

I was at a full stop. I made a left turn and the vehicle just accelerated more than expected and ran into a tree. The tree was unearthed, the front of the vehicle was completely destroyed. It was totaled by the insurance company.

- Elmont , NY, USA

Nov 012013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Parking vehicle and putting into park. Exited the vehicle and car started moving. Shifter was not in park. Very fussy shifter. You can not tell it's in park unless you look each time. Even though you push it all the way up sometimes it is not in park. I had the car start rolling several times after exiting the car.

- Winston Salem, NC, USA

Oct 092013

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Consumer writes in regards to acceleration problems. The consumer immediately noticed upon receipt of the vehicle, that it did not drive smoothly and lacked power during acceleration. However, she felt it was due to lack of familiarity with the vehicle. The performance of the vehicle deteriorated to a point where a problem was evident. Frequently, not all the time, the vehicle was very sluggish to accelerate and occasionally not respond at all for about ten seconds as the RPM's went up. It felt as the though, she was forcing the gas by pressing on the accelerator pedal, but the gas was blocked from flowing, or the vehicle was stuck in a low gear and not up-shifting. Also, the check engine light illuminated, with only 1,231 miles. The consumer had to return to the dealer, several more times, due to the check engine light illuminating.

- Beach Haven, NJ, USA

Dec 122013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

From a stopped position in park, car spontaneously shifted into neutral.

- Mahwah, NJ, USA

Nov 112013

Grand Cherokee

Soon after taking possession of this vehicle (9/27/13) I noticed that now and again (4/5 times) there would be a hesitation from the automatic transmission when shifting to the next higher gear when accelerating to highway speed. It was so subtle that I filed it under "nothing is perfect", but would keep score. Don't be misled by the low mileage above. That is my new normal. A head and neck injury in 2001 followed by a long overdue diagnosis of severe ptsd by the va left me practically a "house hermit" and driving anywhere involving distance requires hiring a driver. This vehicle was nothing more than my being able to have access to the woods with a 911 button attached to keep the P/a in check. What happened to me was that from a stop sign I turned onto the main highway and was accelerating to 55 when at about 50 the transmission hung, this time it would not release to the next gear, the engine began to struggle until it almost stalled. As unexpectedly as it had hung the transmission shifted, the engine immediately recovered ""with a roar"" and off we went. (extra RPM's, ? computer/fuel pump saw no problem) I'm sure that in those seconds my speed dropped 20 mph's with no "warning", such as brake lights had someone been behind me. Had this occurred entering a busy belt-way, interstate, etc., you can imagine the possible may-hem. Did some research, got an appointment for service at the dealership and was told (as expected from research) their computer saw no abnormalities and showed me a blank piece of paper to prove it. Asked them to sign a piece of paper saying my drivetrain was "just wonderful" and reaffirming that Chrysler had never heard of any problems just in case I or others wound up dead or maimed from "no problems". I now have a "moral problem" sitting in my driveway and not out in the middle of the woods.

- Norwood, NY, USA

Nov 212013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

For the second time in 2 weeks the power steering assist steering failed while driving the vehicle. The instrument cluster gives a "power steering warning" and all hydraulic assistance fails. Within a few minutes of this happening, the engine also gets hot. I live N the Texas hill country. This failure results a large increase in steering effort on the local hilly and curved roads and the ability to take evasive maneuvers if some of the many local wild animals cross the road in front of me. It also affects the ability to maneuver in traffic until the vehicle is brought to a stop. The problem is intermittent and the dealer has not been able to diagnose the problem due to it's intermittent nature. So far, this vehicle has had air suspension failures, power steering failures, and " due not shift transmission" failures and has become a safety issue for me and other drivers around me. I use this vehicle for work related travel throughout multiple states so it gets driven often.

- Bandera, TX, USA

Mar 292013

Grand Cherokee

Continuously exhibiting persistent progressively worsening life-threatening transmission and electrical failures. Transmission sticks in low gear and will not upshift, transmission stalls, push gas pedal to the floor and nothing happens, almost hit numerous times, gears jerk, rpms rev up and speed increases when applying brakes, will not slow down then bounces to a stop, interior lights short out, doors do not lock, electronic chirping sound from engine even when off, touchscreen/radio/climate controls do not work, total of 45 different defects, continuous since day purchased, sent 2 written notices to Chrysler, has been 8 months and no one will help, increasingly fearful for safety. Total of 43 days in shop and 14 attempts to repair same serious safety defects and conditions.

- Luray, VA, USA

Oct 262013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

The driver pulled the automobile into a driveway on a downhill slope. The driver shut the vehicle off using the push button start/stop. The driver returned to the vehicle 10 minutes later, with a passenger in the front seat. The driver started the vehicle (foot on brake as required) using push button start/stop. The driver engaged the transmission into reverse using the shifting lever (with foot still on brake as is required by the brake transmission shift interlock (BTSI) system). When engaged in reverse, the engine revved to a high level, and the car traveled in reverse up the hill (driveway), through the street, and into a ditch. Side and front airbags deployed. Driver believes they never took foot off the brake, and the braking was not sufficient to overcome torque of the engine/transmission. Vehicle damage includes air bag deployment, cabin roof liner detachment, three bent wheels, minor damage to muffler, minor body damage. Dealer checked electronics/instrument recordings and noted nothing unusual appearing, and had no knowledge of similar problems.

- St. Clairsville, OH, USA

Aug 012013

Grand Cherokee

When vehicle reaches of 38 mph and above, most of the time a vibration occurs. The vibration can be felt in the seat, the floorboard and steering wheel. Once at 70 mph the vibration can be seen in the steering wheel.this 2014 Grand Cherokee has been to the dealer several times and the issue never resolved. They said it could a transmission, but nothing was ever done. Wheel alignment has also been a problem.

- Charleston, SC, USA

Jul 152013

Grand Cherokee

With vehicle in park, with foot on the brake, pushing button to either turn the vehicle on or off causes the vehicle to lunge forward. Intermittent occurences, unable to reproduce for the mechanic. Has happened with this vehicle 6 times over an 8 week period.

- Hesperia, CA, USA

Jul 042013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle would automatically shift gears and the check engine warning light would illuminate intermittently. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where unknown repairs were made. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The approximate failure mileage was 500 and the current mileage was 5,000.

- Sacramento , CA, USA

Aug 012013

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle has an oscillating vibration at anytime with no reason. It happens at all different speeds and road conditions.

- Forestport, NY, USA

Aug 232013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Vehicle is slow when shifting in low gears; pulling away from stop lights/signs feels as if the car is not in drive and going to stall. This could result in being rear ended since so many drivers speed away when light turns green. It seems like it stutters during shifting. Having it in eco-mode highlights the issue further. The down shifting at higher speeds feels like a stick shift car, not normal or comfortable. Even on the highway acceleration is often not very responsive during entrance and passing. The gas pedal is very touchy, no way to pull away slowly, just takes off; this might be part of the issue, confusing the sensors during shifting. I contacted my sales person who said he'd have a service tech contact me, no calls yet. I wish I had checked this site and edmunds before buying, as I would have chose a different manufacturer. This is my 4th Jeep gr Cherokee, unfortunately the least desirable, my '09 had zero issues and original brakes at trade in with over 105,000 miles; '14 is likely my last.

- New Lenox, IL, USA

Aug 192013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

I purchased a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited for $46,000 from dothan Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram on Saturday, August 17th, 2013. We drove off the at 8:30 P.M. that evening. On Monday, August 19th, at approximately 4:00 P.M. as I was driving down the highway after having just left my job at the Washington county sheriff' office, where I am the public information officer, my vehicle's screen flashed a warning that read: Vehicle gear shift malfunction. The screen went completely black for approximately 1 minute. When it came back on the screen read: Please service transmission followed by turn off ignition to engage park. I tried to turn off ignition, in the middle of the highway, and the warning then read: Vehicle must be in park to turn off ignition. This endless circle continued as I was able to stop the car at a gas station parking lot. I sat in the parking lot of the gas station for approximately 5-7 minutes where I documented (via cellphone camera) the repeated messages and attempted to turn my engine off and simultaneously attempted to put the vehicle in park. The gears would not display. There was no way to see if the vehicle was in park, or what gear it was in at all. After struggling with the vehicle for close to 7 minutes, I was finally able to turn the ignition off. When I restarted the vehicle, the transmission service light was on. I contacted the dealership (as noted above) immediately. I was assured by the salesman that this "happens all the time to Jeep". this was my first major concern with not only the vehicle, but also the dealership. I have a full team of certified mechanics that work for our office. I met with each of them and was told that this was not a common thing for any vehicle. My cruise control is now completely inoperable.

- Chipley, FL, USA