NHTSA — Power Train Problems

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Page 5 of 12)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2014 (and 2015) Jeep Grand Cherokee shows an early trend of transmission complaints. Most of the complaints are for rough shifting — things like jerking & hesitation when shifting gears.

We are keeping an eye on things but the 2014 Grand Cherokee doesn't look like a good model year compared to past years.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 5 of 12)

Feb 252016

Grand Cherokee

On February 25th, I shifted my car into park and was getting out to look at back wiper which seemed to be stuck. I had left the car running. The car took off in gear and caused me to fall and break my ankle in an open compound fracture that required hospitalization and surgery. My Jeep ended up hitting a parked garbage truck and sustained about $5000 damage. Who knows what my medical bills will end up being. Plus my ankle may never be right. I will include a photo of my car and X-ray. It happened on private property (taco bell parking lot). A police officer came and parked my car and called an ambulance but did not make a report since on private property. We have not heard from garbage truck and doubt it did anything to it. The car was in park and not sure how fast was going when hit the garbage truck.

- Powell, OH, USA

Mar 212015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Once the vehicle was shifted into park, it did not register the correct gear. The contact's vehicle rolled away and struck another vehicle. The failure occurred once a week. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where the failure could not be diagnosed. Due to the failure, the driver side doors, driver side rear window quarter, rear bumper, and other driver side components needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. There were no injuries. A police report was filed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 21,000.

- Wyckoff, NJ, USA

May 212015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. After shifting into park and refueling the vehicle, it failed to engage into park and started to roll away. As a result, the vehicle rolled over the driver and fractured 22 ribs, the clavicle, and an ankle. Medical attention was required. A police report was filed. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. Updated 06/15/16

- Blauvelt, NY, USA

Aug 182014

Grand Cherokee

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee shift complaint I began experiencing issues after owning my vehicle for less than 6 months. While driving the vehicle, on many occasions, it would not shift or will act like its trying to brake. Harsh shifting would occur when putting the vehicle in drive or reverse and upon stepping on the pedal the vehicle will slam into gear. There are also many instances where the vehicle will skip gears, stay stuck in a gear, and the worst situation is when the vehicle has shut itself down or put itself into 2nd gear and would not come out of that gear after key on/off. This last situation could have resulted in a serious incident if I had been traveling at a high rate of speed. It has been taken to the dealership over 7 times and each time they "relearned" the software, performed other fca "acceptable" repairs, replaced components and told us it was fixed. Each time the vehicle has been supposedly "repaired" and returned to me it has failed again. The most recent occurrences resulted in the vehicle not even being able to be driven since the gear selector would just slide freely back and forth through all ranges without ever engaging; these 2 instances the vehicle had to be picked up and towed to the service repair shop. I feel fca is taking a chance with my and my families life and have offered me a small monetary settlement to consider my issue resolved. I find this insulting that this is the value they have placed on life and frankly the fact is I do not trust this vehicle to be driving it. I do not believe I am getting the personal enjoyment and full use of my vehicle since there is an underlying fear that it could happen while driving down a freeway at 70 mph. Is harming someone what it takes for this issue to be taken seriously?

- Belleville, MI, USA

Feb 042016

Grand Cherokee

Parked Jeep with engine running - put Jeep in park -walked around back of Jeep to enter building - gone for 3 minutes. Came out to find Jeep had kicked into reverse and ran into a car parked in parking lot. I still believe there is a safety issue. This time no one got injured. Could have been a lot worse. Googled to see if there were any other reports similar to mine. Jeep has a issue - where were a lot of similar reports.. filed a case with Jeep. They inspected and found nothing wrong.

- Bonita Springs, FL, USA

Dec 082015

Grand Cherokee

I thought I put my vehicle into park in a parking lot. I left the engine running and exited the vehicle. It drove forward on its own with no one in it and crashed into a ditch.

- Wilson, WY, USA

Feb 012016

Grand Cherokee

I've had the dealer check the transmission a few times since the purchase 3/2014, mostly due to the transmission giving you a kick in the butt-so to speak, if you have slowed down, but not stopped in traffic, and then start to accelerate to regain some speed. That still occurs on occasion. But the newest issue is that while pulling into my garage to park within the last 2 weeks, I've slowed vehicle to place in "park" and it seems to give a very small, almost gentle lurch forward. It's not enough to hit anything but you van definitely feel it when this happens.thankfully I haven't hit anything in the front of my garage-yet. I am at around the speed of 1 or 2 mph when this has happened the last 2 times. I'm now monitoring the dash to see if this is the consistent speed mph if it occurs again. Car is due in for maintenance soon and will have both issues checked out.

- Centerport, NY, USA

Feb 152016

Grand Cherokee

I had cranked my Jeep and not shifted into gear so it was in park. It was stationary when I jumped out to grab something from just inside and heard a weird noise. I ran back into my garage to see my car rolling down and across my front yard. I thought someone was trying to steal it so ran up along side the passenger side and that is when I saw no one was in it. I ran around to the driver side and try to get into to stop it but could get in while it was rolling and ended up getting dragged for about a second as it cross the road. My Jeep keep going and end up hitting my neighbors mailbox and tree. Once my Jeep was stopped I opened the door and notice the it was in neutral. My garage is flat and I was backed into my garage so there is no real way that even if it was in neutral that it would have the motion to move out of my gagarge. I actually think it had shifted on its own into drive and when it hit the tree I think it popped it into neutral. I was luckly not to get run over or anyone else was not injuried while my car was moving own its own.

- Fort Mill, SC, USA

Jan 172016

Grand Cherokee

I drove my car to my neighbor's house, put my Jeep in park (while it was running), got out of the vehicle, went to the back passenger door and got my daughter out of the vehicle, we walked in front of the vehicle, I dropped her off at their house and while talking to the neighbors for a couple of minutes, my vehicle engaged by itself and drove into their garage.

- Plymouth, MN, USA

Dec 032015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While the vehicle was parked, it rolled backwards over the contact's right leg. The vehicle then ran over a curb and crashed into a lamp post. The contact sustained leg injuries that required medical attention. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 44,000.

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Feb 012016

Grand Cherokee

When placing the shifter into park from the drive position it will at times hang at either the neutral or reverse setting even though the shift handle was pushed far forward to engage park. Sometimes to separate attempts are needed to cycle the transmission to park. I have experienced times when the vehicle will roll backward slowly while in N or aggressively while in reverse. Extraordinary care must be exercised to insure safety. This is the worst shifter I have ever dealt with in 45 years of car ownership.

- El Dorado Hills, CA, USA

Feb 122016

Grand Cherokee

On multiple occasions the vehicle has been placed in park and has started rolling in both reverse & forward motions after the my wife or I have stepped out of the vehicle. This has happened both with the engine running and when it was turned off.

- New Milford, CT, USA

Jan 122016

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle spontaneously shifted from park to reverse when operator reached into vehicle to shut off engine. Vehicle was parked on a downward city street slope (facing downhill), and reversed uphill, dragging operator into an intersection.

- Lincoln, NH, USA

Jan 212016

Grand Cherokee

Gear shifter does not move fluidly and often it is unclear as to which position the shifter is actually engaged. It has occurred that when I think it is in park, it is actually in neutral. I actually pushed the start/stop engine button thinking the car had shut off when in fact it was in neutral and was still running. Had I not noticed this at the last moment the car could have easily rolled into parking lot traffic. This also has occurred when parking in my garage.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Jan 302016

Grand Cherokee

Electronic transmission shifter is difficult to use. I have owned this vehicle for 3 weeks and have already unintentionally had my vehicle roll from a stopped position. In an attempt to place the vehicle in "park" from "drive, " the vehicle was accidentally shifted into "reverse" due to poor operator friendliness compared to traditional shifters. Shifting the vehicle from "neutral" has also not registered correctly on occasions due to prerequisites to shift out of that gear (foot on brake and button held down). The shifter release button has very poor feedback and is difficult to use as well.

- South Vienna, OH, USA

Aug 172015

Grand Cherokee

Electronic shifter does not properly select gear and/or provide tactile feedback regarding which gear has been selected. I have almost left the vehicle while it was still in drive mode thinking it was in park. I feel this is a huge safety concern and warrants a recall.

- Lancaster, MA, USA

Apr 122014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While the gear was in the park position, the vehicle still moved forward. The failure occurred constantly. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 5.

- Ridge, NY, USA

Jan 292016

Grand Cherokee

I went to place the gear selector into park but it didn't go in and I didn't realize it wasn't in park. I went to get out to grab something and it rolled backwards into my garage door. It dented the garage door and luckily only did that as damage. I was able to get my foot onto the brake before it went any further.

- Williston, ND, USA

Feb 092016

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at 60 mph, the transmission failed causing the loss of power steering and the inability to accelerate. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 37,000.

- Winchester, CA, USA

Sep 012015

Grand Cherokee

I moved my Jeep on the driveway, and believe I placed it in park with the engine on while going back in the house. When I returned outside less then one minute later, the Jeep was rolling down the hill backwards. It went straight down the driveway backwards, across the street, and into the rear of a car parked across the street. I believe it totaled the other vehicle and did approximately $1300 damage to the Jeep. I did not file a police report, but there was an insurance claim against my insurance for the damage done to the other vehicle. I did not submit a claim for my own insurance as there was a $1,000 deductible. I just read an article in the paper that other people have been having similar problems where it is difficult to tell if the vehicle is in park. (the date of 9/1/2015 is estimated but can be confirmed)

- Baldwinsville, NY, USA