NHTSA — Power Train Problems

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Page 7 of 12)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2014 (and 2015) Jeep Grand Cherokee shows an early trend of transmission complaints. Most of the complaints are for rough shifting — things like jerking & hesitation when shifting gears.

We are keeping an eye on things but the 2014 Grand Cherokee doesn't look like a good model year compared to past years.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 7 of 12)

Sep 172014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle was not downshifting from 3rd to 2nd or to 1st gear. If the vehicle were shifted manually or from a complete stop, the vehicle would shift intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the mechanic informed that the failure was commonly experienced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 4,000. The VIN was not available.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jul 162015

Grand Cherokee

On July 16, 2015, with about 5,000 miles, the electrical system failed and the vehicle was towed to my dealership. On July 21, 2015, we learned that it had lost the key and done nothing to repair it. On July 22, 2015, it was towed to another Jeep dealership. On July 23, 2015, we were advised that the problems were caused by a bad battery. On July 25, 2015, when we went to pick it up, it would not start even with a new battery. On July 27, 2015, we were told that another new battery had been installed. On July 28, 2015, we picked up the vehicle but on August 14, 2015, the electrical system again failed and it was again towed to the second dealership. On August 17, 2015, we were advised that the vehicle had been repaired by replacing various electrical components. On September 15, 2015, the electrical system again failed causing the ABS and AWD systems to rapidly cycle on and off; the transmission to rapidly shift through both forward and reverse gears; and for the vehicle to lurch forward and backward. A third Jeep dealership refused to service it because of its history. On September 17, 2015, the vehicle was again towed to the second dealership. It had only 5757 miles on the odometer. On September 24, 2015, we were told that the dealership thought the problem might be with a crash sensor and proposed that the sensor be disabled. On September 25, 2015, after we objected to disabling a safety sensor, we were told that sensors had been ordered for the adaptive cruise and speed controls, but as of today, the dealership has not repaired the vehicle and is uncertain whether it can repair it. The vehicle has been at a dealership 25 out of the past 72 days. The dealership has not repaired the vehicle; will not say that it can be repaired; and will not say that it will be safe to operate. Jeep refuses to help. We don't want to die in this vehicle. Please help us.

- Huntington, WV, USA

Sep 042015

Grand Cherokee

I would like to report 2 incidents where my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee has rolled after it was \put into park and the engine was turned off. The 1st time happened on 9/4/15 after parking my Jeep and exiting the vehicle it rolled backwards approximately 1' into the car behind me. No damage to the other vehicle and only small scratches on my rear bumper. The 2nd time was 9/5/15, after parking the vehicle on a small incline the vehicle rolled 2' forward into a guard rail post causing significant damage to my front bumper and grill. I brought my Jeep to the smith haven Chrysler Jeep dealer today 9/23/15 to have the vehicle inspected and the service representative told me "this is normal especially on an incline" and "it should not roll more than 3 feet". I could not believe I was being told that this is a normal and there was nothing to do about it. This is clearly a safety issue.

- Ronkonkoma, NY, USA

Nov 192014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving approximately 30 mph, the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to accelerate. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the transmission software was updated. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 6,000.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Sep 172015

Grand Cherokee

I turned my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 24,400 miles into my family driveway and stopped before the driveway gate. I left 24" between the Jeep and the gate so that pedestrians could pass in front of the vehicle while I was opening the gate. I put the Jeep in park and with the engine running and while still seated but with my foot off the brake, I reached over to the passenger's seat to grab my bag for the key. After finding the key, I exited the running vehicle keeping the driver's door open. I walked around the open door, stopped in front of the car and unlocked the gate. I then opened the left half of the gate pushing it entirely back to the wall. I then proceeded to walk back to the center of the gate to open the right half of the gate. I pulled the gate rod from the hole in the ground so I can move this section of the gate, and just as I did, the Jeep began to move toward me hitting the far right gate post with the right front corner of the vehicle. I was shocked and ran back around the open driver's door and into the car to back it away from the post. When I entered the vehicle, I found it in park, and I selected reverse to back it off the gate post. From the time I exited the vehicle, it was about 45 seconds before it moved. If I mistakenly left it in drive, it should have begun moving as soon as I removed my foot from the brake pedal and reached across to the passenger's seat for my bag. Even if I maintained my foot on the brake at that time, it should have moved when I exited the vehicle. It should not have taken 45 seconds to move. If it was pushed mistakenly into neutral, the car should have moved when I exited. From a two foot distance, it sustained over $2500 in damage. The damage was not caused by a simple roll in neutral. The car accelerated as if it were in drive, although the dashboard indicated park. This is a safety issue.

- Flushing, NY, USA

Aug 082015

Grand Cherokee

The problem(s) that I have had or currently have with my vehicle are as follows: 1. July 8, 2015: (mileage 12,453) car dash lights were lighting up and then the engine died later in the middle of the road. Finally the car started up however the transmission would not shift and I drove it home in low gear. On July 9, 2015, I took the car into campbell Chrysler service department in centralia Washington (see service slip) and it was returned to me on July 13, 2015. 2. July 15, 2015: Again, the car dash lights were lit up and the car was stuck in low gear. I turned the car into to campbell Chrysler service department (see service slip) on July 16, 2015. The car was returned to me on August 18, 2015. 3. August 24, 2015: Again the car dash lights were lit up and the car stuck in low gear and the motor was surging. I took the car back to campbell Chrysler service department on August 25, 2015. The car was returned on August 28, 2015. 4. August 31, 2015: I drove to seattle and again the check engine light came on and the shifter lights would flash and speedometer numbers would go from large font to small font. When dash lights and warning lights plus different characters flashed then the engine would surge. Currently, the car was brought back to campbell Chrysler service department on September 16, 2015 because all the warning lights came on, again. This vehicle has become a safety hazard for my family. I'm not comfortable driving the car and concerned for my safety as well as my families. The first time the car stalled on me it happened at a stop sign on a two way highway. The engine surging is also a safety issue. I have been with-out my car over 43 plus days and have been greatly inconvenienced.

- Chehalis, WA, USA

Aug 262015

Grand Cherokee

I have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the eco diesel option. At 7100 miles after oil change and refill of diesel exhaust fluid indicator on dash displayed incorrect def fluid and service def needed or vehicle will not restart in 200 miles. It took a week and 1 business day before the dealership could even look at the vehicle due to backup in scheduling. After three days at the dealership the vehicle was diagnosis with dpf convertor needed replacement, def sensor failure, def injector failure, and O2 sensor failure. And the parts would take 3 weeks just to get in. To me this is unacceptable, a vehicle with less than 10000 miles should not need this many repairs with long delay just to get parts. It seems this vehicle was not properly engineered and cannot meet emission standards long term. Plus a vehicle that will turn off and not restart at 200 miles is a danger to a consumer. Just based on an internet search I am not the only one with these problems there are numerous owners of 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee with eco diesel with the same issues. And the problems are never really resolved, permanently fixed and occur again. In my opinion fca should be made to buy back these vehicle and redesigned to at least meet 80000 miles emission standard with realistic durability. The consumers should not be test subjects on a unreliable vehicle until fca comes up with fixes to very serious problems. In addition some consumers on internet site have be told to ignore engine problem indicator light warning until fca comes up with fixes.

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Dec 042014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V634000 (electrical system), 14V643000 (air bags, seat belt), and 15V461000 (equipment); however, the part was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time to provide the part. When the gear was shifted into park, the gear jumped out of the park position and moved forward a couple feet on its own. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Middledoro, MA, USA

Aug 302015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Without warning, the vehicle rolled off from a park position. As the contact's wife attempted to stop the vehicle, it ran over her hip. The woman sustained injuries that required medical attention. The fire and medical services were on the scene following the contact's 911 call. A police report was filed. There was no damage to the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified and the contact was informed that someone would come out to inspect the vehicle. The failure mileage was 10,000.....updated 10-27-15

- Coscob, CT, USA

Aug 312015

Grand Cherokee

While sitting in a left turn lane, waiting for the light to turn green, the automatic transmission jumped from drive to neutral all on its own. When the light turned green the vehicle would not go forward. It was difficult getting the transmission back into drive and this created a traffic hazard.

Jan 152015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the gear was shifted into park and the vehicle rolled approximately ten feet backwards. The vehicle shifted into reverse independently. The failure recurred twice. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 4,960.

- Howard Beach, NY, USA

Aug 022015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Upon parking the vehicle, it rolled backwards and the gear was shifted into drive to prevent a failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 52,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 152013

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while parked with the key in the ignition, the vehicle rolled forward without warning. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 1,000. MA 10/16/15 the consumer state weather was not a factor. Being on an incline or decline was not a factor, either. The vehicle moved on its own, unless his foot was on the brake.

- Plainfield, IL, USA

Nov 282014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While the vehicle was parked on a slight hill with the emergency brake applied, the vehicle rolled backwards approximately 30 feet and stopped. The vehicle was driven to the dealer to be diagnosed and the mechanic stated that there was no detected failure. The contact shared a video of the failure. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 25,000.....updated 04/25/16

- North Caldwell, NJ, USA

Sep 042014

Grand Cherokee

I pulled into my driveway and put the car in park. When stepping out of my car, it started rolling backwards, the door was open so it knocked me to the ground and I rolled to get out of the path of the wheel, only getting missed by seconds. I had pretty severe bruising but I did not see a doctor. I assume the car went into reverse as it rolled backwards, but it was a slight incline so it may have been neutral. I was mostly focused on the fact my car was rolling backwards at a good rate with my 4 and 1 year old still inside. The car stopped after jumping the curb and taking out the neighbors mailbox. I honestly didn't look at what gear it was in once stopped, I checked on my children and quickly moved it out of the middle of the road, I of course was in panic mode. It did $6004.69 worth of damage to the car, plus the replacement of (2) carseats and a brick mailbox. I took the car in a few months ago for other recalls and let them know about the situation and they said "no problem found" of course. After seeing a report from you all today about this very same problem it prompted me to file a complaint, as I didn't know you existed. The car has slipped out of gear several other times in parking lots, both while I was driving and to my husband as well, but I am very careful to use my parking break every time I park the car after the accident.....updated 04/25/16

- Yukon, OK, USA

Sep 142014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that after shifting into park, the vehicle rolled away in reverse and crashed into a mailbox. The contact sustained minor bruises that did not require medical attention. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who was unable to diagnose or repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 9,432.

- Yukon , OK, USA

Feb 272015

Grand Cherokee

I pulled in to my brothers driveway there was snow on the ground. Put the car in park turned it off and exited the car. It started rolling forward so I jumped back in the car and put on the brake then moved it backwards a little and exited the car again. Again car in park and shut off. I walked in front of the car and found my brother. Asi was walking back to the car, it rolled forward again about 8 feet and hit my nephew's car sending it through the garage door. The next day I has the car towed to the dealership as I was afraid to drive it. Results from the dealer were nothing wrong. They told the the care had what's called and open differential and if the on wheel skidded the car would roll forward. I told them I had never heard of anything so absurd and their comment was that I needed to read the owner's manual and make sure I use the parking brake. I talked with the dealership owner and told him about it. He also told me that he had never heard of anything like this either. I asked that he talk with his sales people and have them tell their buyers anpbout this. I then talked with a customer service agent at Chrysler who told me she had never heard of such a thing. As a follow Chrysler sent a survey to me regarding their customer service. I recounted this situation and have heard nothing. I will never purchase another Jeep and if I could cancel the lease right now I would do so. This is very dangerous. I had been standing in front of my car just before it rolled forward. In addition, my car insurance premium was increased by $50 per month because of this accident"????" when I did nothing to create the problem. These vehicles should not be on the road with dangers like this. People could very easily be killed or very injured. I have told numerous people never to buy this car because of its danger.

- Wheeling, WV, USA

Aug 212015

Grand Cherokee

The vehicle rolled forwardvinto another vehicle after being put in park.

Jun 222014

Grand Cherokee

On multiple occasions over the life of the vehicle, which is currently at 21,000 miles, confidence in knowing you have selected the correct gear is very low. When putting the car in drive, park or reverse, you have to check at least twice that you are in the correct gear before taking the foot off the brake. The most recent incident was in late June 2015, when I was taking my dog to the vet for an emergency. I thought I put the car in park. Indications showed it was in park. I got out of the car and the car begin to roll backwards. The car was actually in reverse. Fortunately, I was able to jump back in and stop the car before getting hit by the open door, this time setting the parking brake also. Similar incidents have happened to my spouse as she now has to check at least twice that the vehicle is in any correct gear. We did report this to dealer but with little response other than looking to see if there was a service bulletin. We currently have three outstanding recall notices but are unable to get dealer to satisfactorily respond because they did not have parts or did not call us back to set up service appointment.

Feb 012014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while attempting to accelerate from a stop, the vehicle jerked and hesitated before moving forward. The contact noticed that the front end of the vehicle started to vibrated. In addition, the contact stated that while attempting to accelerate from a stop, the accelerator pedal was depressed and the vehicle accelerated in excess. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer multiple times, who diagnosed that the driveshaft needed to be replaced and the computer needed to be upgraded. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure persisted. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 100.

- Fenton, MO, USA