CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2014 (and 2015) Jeep Grand Cherokee shows an early trend of transmission complaints. Most of the complaints are for rough shifting — things like jerking & hesitation when shifting gears.

We are keeping an eye on things but the 2014 Grand Cherokee doesn't look like a good model year compared to past years.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 9 of 12)

Dec 052014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

On 3 separate occasions in the last two weeks my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee has rolled unexpectedly once the transmission has been put into park and the engine turned off. The first time it happened, I drove into a sloped driveway. I put the car into park, turned off the car, and sat in the driver's seat to compose an E-mail. My foot continued to be on the brake. A minute or so later, when I completed my task, I opened the door and began to get out, having not put on the emergency brake. As it was a gentle slope, I did not notice the car beginning to roll immediately, but once outside the car I realized it was rolling backwards. I turned and got back into the car and applied the emergency brake, almost falling in the process. At the time I thought that I might have put the car into neutral rather than park, as the gear shift is electronic, and is slightly different in feel from older transmissions. Believing that it was my error, I did nothing about this. Then, over this past weekend it happened again, and I wrote to Jeep via their owner portal, to ensure that it was reported. On December 3rd, I scheduled a service for Friday December 5th. Yesterday, December 4th, I took the car to a car wash. The attendant was doing detail work, and after taking it through the wash, he parked it. I walked toward the car, and he got out of the car once he had put it into park and turned it off. He exited just as I got to the front driver's side corner. The car began to roll again, and was on a slope. Had the attendant not jumped back into the car and applied the brake, both of us would have been pinned in place, me between the door and a large cement planter, and he between the door and the interior. I quickly videotaped the attendant briefly recounting the story, and obtained his contact information, as well. The Jeep is now at the dealership.

- Valley Cottage, NY, USA

Nov 172014

Grand Cherokee

On November 17th, after about 30 seconds driving forward, the car shifted from 2nd gear back to first gear. The car practically skidded to shift back to first. I was thrown forward in the car. Luckily, I wear my seatbelt. It would not shift out of first after that. The engine light came on. I had it towed to the dealership where I bought it. They said something is wrong with the transmission. They said they could not fix the transmission, but would replace the entire transmission. They said with a car this new, they do not have the knowledge to fixing the transmissions. They replaced the transmission and drove it 200 miles. They said it is fixed. I picked it up on a Monday, November 24 and drove it home. The next day, I had the problem again. When turning on 4 lane road (2 in one direction and two in another), the vehicle started to go across the intersection. It appeared to try to shift to 2nd, but the car stopped moving (like it was in neutral). I had to start blowing the horn as oncoming cars were coming at a high rate of speed. I could have been killed. I immediately called the dealership. They picked the car up and drove it back to the dealership. They ran numerous tests on the car and could not duplicate the problem. They called and told me the car was ready. I have severe reservation about getting back in a vehicle that I could have been killed in and drive it away when I know, the dealership knows and Chrysler knows, they couldn"T duplicate the problem and they didn"T fix anything. So, basically, I will be driving a ticking time bomb that could blow up at any time. My wife, kids and grandkids could be in jeopardy and other drivers on the road. I paid over 50K for this vehicle, only to find myself stressed out over this fact. I cannot get back into this vehicle knowing nothing was fixed and I was almost killed.

- Jarrettsville, MD, USA

Oct 012014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

I have been to the dealership three times to have my transmission evaluated due to the vehicle lurching forward as I slow down to a stop as well as rough shifting while while accelerating/decelerating. The dealership says a part needs to be replaced but was unable to give me an estimate of when the part will be in and will not return my calls for updates.

- Franklin, TN, USA

Nov 172014

Grand Cherokee

While driving the vehicle stopped working and would not accelerate. I took it to the dealership and they said that there was a problem with the filter that was attached to the transmission and they reset the transmission. Two days later it stop working while in the middle of an intersection and when it was down shifting it became jerky and would lunge forward. It also started making a noise when put into reverse and the dash said that the vehicle needed to be put into gear while I was driving. It is back at the garage again to be fixed. This is a serious safety issue! when I was at the service center the manager showed me a recall from Chrysler that was dated 11/2013 and was about this issue. He also told me that Chrysler stopped using this transmission at the end of 11/2013 because of these problems. There is no way to fix these problems, but Chrysler does not want recall any of these vehicles. What is a consumer suppose to do?

- Hermitage, PA, USA

Sep 292014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

After coming to a complete stop the vehicle lunges forward. This is an intermittent issue, but appears to happen more frequently after the vehicle has been sitting for a period of time. Additionally the vehicle transmission is always trying to find a different gear (I describe this as fishing for a gear) up shifting when you want to slow down or just the opposite down shifting when you want to speed up.

- Prospect, KY, USA

Oct 112014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 (na) Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving 40 mph and attempting to engage the brakes, the vehicle accelerated without warning. The failure occurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 1,000.

- Parma, OH, USA

Nov 052013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated while driving at unknown speed, the vehicle decelerated when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The failure recurred multiple times. The dealer was unable to locate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 1,000.

- Fenton, MI, USA

Jul 242014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

As you accelerate the diesel Grand Cherokee and it reaches 7th gear, the car starts shuddering as if the vehicle is about to "fall apart". this issue happens every time when in 7th and 8th gear. I've had to use the paddle shifters to maintain the vehicle in 6th gear to avoid such shaking in the highway. I've taken the vehicle to an empty road and accelerated to reproduce the issue and kept my foot in the petal and it eventually settles down after 8th gear. But if you remove foot from gas and let the car shift back to 6th when you re-accelerate the shuddering returns again. The entire car just shakes. Jeep has been unable to find a solution to this and the vehicle is not even a year old yet.

- Hialeah, FL, USA

Nov 022014

Grand Cherokee

While driving at 45 mph in traffic the Jeep stopped shifting and remained stuck in 6th gear. The vehicle completely stopped downshifting rendering acceleration impossible. The dealer said the transmission valve failed and had to be replaced.

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Oct 242014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

My 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee ecodiesel shudders/vibrates intermittently at highway speeds. Evidently, this is a common problem in this particular model, and so much so that it now has a name, "fish bites". at least one technical service bulletin and possibly even more (many have similar symptoms) have acknowledged the drivetrain as the source and have attempted to resolve it with software flashes. After numerous visits to the dealer to correct the issue, the "fish bites" are still happening, and are getting increasingly worse. Unfortunately, after the last visit and being told it had been resolved, I had to find out that the attempted fix did not work while on a tight two-lane road. The occurrence nearly caused the vehicle to lose control at high speed. Prospective buyers of this model should recognize that it may be unsafe, as this unresolved issue was clearly a hazard to myself and to the vehicles in close proximity.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Dec 302013

Grand Cherokee

When coming to a slow brake, the brakes stutter and push the car forward. Additionally, the vehicle sometimes when driving at higher speeds (specifically on the freeway at about 60-70mph) engine revs high without kicking over. Furthermore, when slowing it has a hard time kicking down to the next gear. Transmission light has come on several times as well. When taking the vehicle in for service, they are unable to recognize any problems at all and can not fix.

- Newark, CA, USA

Oct 042014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

When I go to press the brakes and come to a stop, my vehicle jerks when it slows down as if its almost stuck in a gear while it downshifts which causes the vehicle to move forward while trying to slow down which can cause an accident.

- Millville, NJ, USA

Sep 152014

Grand Cherokee Diesel

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Consumer states that without warning the gear shift jumps out of drive or reverse into neutral and the motor shuts off. The consumer stated each time the vehicle was towed to the dealer, they stated the vehicle needed a program update.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jul 202014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated after coming to a stop, the vehicle jerked forward without warning. The vehicle was diagnosed and repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 6,000. Updated12/22/14 updated 05/29/2015 updated 9/25/2015

- Inglewood, NJ, USA

Jul 072014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle suddenly and without warning got stuck in 4th gear and wouldn't shift into a higher or lower gear making it unable to accelerate and safely exit the highway. I was eventually able to get the car pulled over to safety and had it towed to a local dealership. The dealer diagnosis was that a cooling line popped out of the transmission which caused all the fluid to drain out.

- Katonah, NY, USA

Feb 012014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving approximately 12 mph, the vehicle began to shake when shifted into second gear. The failure occurred multiple times. The dealer was unable to locate the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 4,000...updated 11/06/14

- Manchester, MD, USA

Apr 082014

Grand Cherokee

While entering a busy interstate and accelerating from a stop to 65 mph on the onramp, the Jeep Grand Cherokee drive train began shuddering violently and would not stop. It felt like the vehicle was running over severe bumps in the road yet the surface was free of defects. I was disoriented by the shaking sensation which would stop if I decelerate but returned immediately when accelerating to merge. I was forced off the road by faster traffic and my inability to speed up. I had to stop on the roadside and attempt to merge again when traffic cleared. My re-attempt to accelerate caused shuddering again at 45 mph. I pulled over again and shut the vehicle off. I restarted and, on my third attempt, accelerated very aggressively with the vehicle shuddering at 45 mph up to 65 mph. When I quite accelerating the shudder quit. This violent drive train shudder has occurred often since then. I have learned that this occurs most often in the first 10 miles of operation and I can minimize the shudder when it occurs by accelerating at full throttle which is unsafe. My online research indicates others are complaining of this same issue in various auto forums. I have had my Jeep dealer apply service updates and test drive the vehicle but Jeep has yet to fix this issue. In my opinion, this is ridiculous in a new car and is a drive ability and safety concern.

- Jackson, TN, USA

Jul 312014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Transmission will shudder while accelerating making the vehicle dangerous and difficult to control. Vehicle has been to the dealer multiple times and they have yet to fix it. Research has led me to believe that this is impacting many other Jeep's on the road today. I do not believe they are safe to be on the road until the problem is remedied.

- Colorado Springs , CO, USA

Jul 052014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Transmission locks up after starting, unable to shift into any gear, and malfunction indicator light "mil" is illuminated. In order to get the vehicle to move it must be shut off and on, sometimes more than one time. After 4 incidents, Jeep gc was brought to local service dept. Where several flash updates were performed to vehicles computer and valve body pump box was ordered. Jeep was returned for service 3 weeks later where transmission pump box was replaced and transmission re-trained. Since then the issue has continued to occur on 3 separate occasions. Additionally, now the diesel exhaust regeneration comes on every 30-40 miles where the car must continue to be run until regen has completed, no changes had been made to driving habits and prior to transmission work regen had never needed to come on. It is unknown if the Jeep gc can move when the mil and locked shifter occur as the issue has occurred only in flat areas (mostly home garage), however this could be a deadly issue if parked on hill and if vehicle transmission is not locking gears and can move forward or back. It does not appear that this is the case but can not be ruled out. Vehicle is going back in for service and transmission replacement. Based on research online it would appear transmission issues with the 2014 Jeep gc are widespread and even after repairs are performed the vehicle never drives properly or as it did previously and usually hesitates, shifts hard or jerks forward which is also very dangerous as it seems to be sporadic and unpredictable for drivers.

- Hebron, KY, USA

Jul 312014

Grand Cherokee Diesel

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Consumer writes in regards to transmission issues. The consumer stated twice, he encountered a serious problem. When he attempted to make a turn, the vehicle almost stalled. He tried pumping the accelerator, but the vehicle would only move at a crawl. The second incident occurred on July 31, 2014, the consumer was attempting to make a turn, when the vehicle almost stalled. The consumer was informed there were some wires that rubbed against something that caused the engine to stall.

- Spokane, WA, USA