2012 Kia Sorento transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Kia Sorento:

2012 Kia Sorento Owner Comments

Feb 022012

Sorento 4-cyl

I own a two-wheel-drive model 2012 Kia Sorento with a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine and automatic transmissions. It has loss of power due to a sudden failure of the transmission; automatic transmission does not change gears and has a whirring/whining noise. The transmission shifts correctly between 1st and 2nd gear. Shifting into 3 the rmps begin to increase beyond normal limits and shifting into 4th is so delayed the transmission seems to be failing. At 35 mph, the RPM's ramp up to 4500 and continues to climb. By 45 mph it can be as high as 6500 rpms. The sustainable rpms in this vehicle are continuously 3500 to 4500 rpms and is quite loud. I have taken it to my local Kia dealer 4 times. On two occasions, they kept it for more than a week and always tell me that this is how the vehicle is designed and there is nothing wrong with it. The 4th time it was in the shop, another 2012 Sorento was brought in for the same problem. Twice this issue has nearly caused a wreck when I was pulling out from a stop sign, pressing the accelerator, and not having the power to get past 35 mph; pushing the rpms to 4500+. traveling up small grades is difficult at best let alone traveling steeper hills/crests and grades. I fear this will cause great damage to the transmission and engine or worse, cause a fatal crash with me and my children. Other vehicles have been taken to my local dealer for the same issue and I am certain others are having this same issue. Please review this issue. Thank you.

- Rocky Face, GA, USA