2012 Kia Sorento engine problems: catastrophic engine failure

Catastrophic Engine Failure

2012 Kia Sorento (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Kia dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: As long as catastrophic engine failure at under 60,000 miles is the top owner complaint, it'll be pretty hard to recommend the 2012 Sorento.

9.4

$5,240

1. replace engine (17 reports)
2012 Kia Sorento engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Kia Sorento:

2012 Kia Sorento Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Apr 182019

Sorento 4L

Driving to work on a same route bumpy road yesterday, thought something flew into a fan or something due to a rattle noise starting after hitting a bump. Within a few seconds knocking and noise getting louder. No warning lights came on. Car completely seized and failed within a few more seconds as I pulled over to a turning lane. Opened hood and smoke began pouring out. Checked dipstick and smoke poured out of the dipstick hole as well. Oil looked fried. Coolant was ok. Tow truck and repair shop said complete engine failure. Had to embarrassingly call boss and miss a bit of work trying to get another vehicle to get back to work. Car has always had synthetic oil changes and everything done all as scheduled. Had it in for the recall in 2017 and all listed as ok. Engines are backordered (looked at previous complaints and it looks like this backorder has been an issue since at least early 2018) so no telling when my car will be fixed. Honestly, this could have been deadly had I been on the highway.

- Lynn F., Franksville, US

Mar 102019

Sorento LX 2.4L

We were driving down the highway on a normal Sunday afternoon, when suddenly the power steering went out and the engine completely seized. (Making loud cracking noises). We called Kia consumers affairs, and of course they found a way to skirt the issue, saying "our model" was not covered under their recall. This put us in a unbelievably terrible spot, as we had to get it towed from Texas to Louisiana, continue paying car notes on a vehicle that is worthless, and rent a car until we can find a solution to the horrible problem. What I don't understand is how Kia can conveniently weed out the models that aren't covered under the recall. If a company recalls a 2012 Kia Sorrento that should 100% unequivocally cover all fricking 2012 models. As I read all these complaints it becomes very clear to me that this auto-manufacture is a complete fraud. Why would the engine stop working at less than 75,000 miles?? And totally eliminate "our model/vin" from the recall. It makes absolutely no sense!!!! Kia has put my family in a terrible position by not offering to help with zero- ZILICH!!! We will do everything in our power to fight this supposed car manufacture and absolutely, NEVER buy a DAM KIA AGAIN!!!

- kjstoute80, Broussard, US

Mar 022019

Sorento LX Gdi

Catastrophic engine failure. Recall on GDi engine, took into Kia 2017 and they said it was fine. First failure 6 months prior to engine seize on freeway, could have died, but coasted to side of road. Didn't know the cause but after the car sat for some hours and cooled down, it started. Fast forward four months and a knocking sound started, very light, more upon acceleration. Thought it was coming from under the car, not the engine. Didn't think much of it, thought it was cheap gas. This weekend, in the rain, car stopped running again at 40 miles per hour on the freeway. Just like the first time, all systems shut down, brakes wouldn't work, nothing. Again could have died and this time one of my children was in the car with me. Do not buy a Kia with a GDi engine. Upon research, Kia knew of this problem when the cars rolled off the factory line and let them go out into service. Dangerous vehicle.

- June B., Woodland Hills, CA, US

Nov 282018

Sorento 2.4L

Engine needs replacement, due to lack of compression in cylinders 3 and 4, possibly due to metal shrapnel in engine from manufacturing.

- dolphman, Benton Harbor, US

Mar 122018

Sorento

There is a class action against Kia for these engine failures. Contact the lawyer at badproductslaw@gmail.com

- Sue K., spring valley, NY, US

May 182018

Sorento 3.2L

click to see larger images

catastrophic engine failure

I purchased a 2012 Kia Sorento back in November of 2017 at Town Square Motors in Lawrenceville. After seeing the vehicle had been well maintained on the Carfax and it had mileage of around 75,000, I felt confident the vehicle would be a reliable long term purchase for me and my family. Now just months later in June 2018 the vehicle spontaneously shut down while driving last week. Fortunately I was on road with a near by parking lot I could safely roll into and stop. I had it towed to my mechanic’s home and was informed that this maybe a recalled engine.

After having it towed to the local Kia dealership I am being told it needs an entire new engine. After a little research, I noticed a Kia Sorento engine failure recall for 2012-2014 due to poor engine manufacturing assembly from leaving debris in engine. After contacting Kia consumer affairs I was told my VIN was not included in this recall. However, they settled on covering half of the $4,000+ repair.

If they know they are at fault, why not pay repair in entirety? Kia Consumer Affairs claims it is not covered under a warranty and I am ‘fortunate’ they covered as much as they as they did.

I purchased this vehicle because I need it for my business as well as for my family. I paid out of pocket for a rental car for a few weeks thinking that it would be repaired by that time. They now have given me a loaner vehicle for the time being. However, it is negatively affecting my business because I am unable to use it for my furniture business as it is too small to transport my inventory. They are telling me the part they need to repair my engine is on back order and they will not give me an ETA on when my vehicle will be repaired or when I will have my car back.

I am really hoping your knowledge and experience can help me get my vehicle back to me repaired and get the reimbursed all the expenses I have paid for this out of pocket from Kia. I have attached the repair quote from Kia for you to take a look at. It has now been over five months and I have been without my vehicle and still paying my insurance and car payment monthly for vehicle I don't even see. Kia has now given me an ETA on the part for my engine as October 27 saying the part has been on 'back order' and continuously pushing back the date of completion for my repair.

- Caroline S., Norcross, GA, US

Mar 102018

Sorento LX 3.5L V6

click to see larger images

catastrophic engine failure

DRIVING ON HYWY ENGINE SHUT OFF. PULLED OVER TOWED TO HOUSE REALIZED I HAD A HOLE UNDER MY ENGINE. FOUND OUT MY CAR HAD BEEN RECALLED. AFTER CALLING DEALER QUOTED A PRICE OF $8500. OUT OF WARRANTY. RECALL WAS NOT FOR 6 CYL ONLY FOR 4 CYL CARS. CAR SITTING IN DRIVEWAY UNTIL I CAN AFFORD TO FIX.

- Ivis Q., stoughton, MA, US

Sep 052014

Sorento LX 2.4L

Suddenly failed in the middle lane of the freeway. Lucky nobody was hurt. Seized at 36000 miles! Short block replaced under warranty - told it was a one off. Later came the recall and the excuse with a claim it was rectified.

- Cat W., Petaluma, CA, US

Oct 212017

Sorento LX 2.4L Gdi

I'm the original owner of my Sorrento. I have scheduled maintenance performed regularly. On my way back to Dallas from ARK and my Kia stalled on the freeway. This was one week after I had an oil change and new brakes put on. I had it towed to McAlester OK for $165. A mechanic there determined that the knocking I had been hearing was a common issue with this engine and that the engine would need to be replaced or rebuilt. I'm having the vehicle towed to my local Kia dealership for a second opinion but I'm not optimistic. Not only was I left stranded, the amount I'm going to have to spend just to get it officially diagnosed is ridiculous.

- jackie don, Farmers Branch, US

Mar 092017

Sorento EX 2.4L

at around 50k miles, began hearing "chatter" from the engine, thought it was something loose/vibrating. Nothing was ever found. While driving home from work, w/ 89k miles on it, a very loud knocking noise began, I pulled over, and parked it, before it completely failed. I did not have my cell phone! A lady finally let me use her phone to call for help. I then had make arrangements to get to work again, and home, and have the car transported to the Kia Dealership for evaluation (and repairs), The Kia dealership downplayed the symptoms, and drove it around the lot, before parking it, the Oil light had come on, along w/ a louder knocking and squealing. I believe the engine was seizing at that moment. Upon review I found that the engine in it, the 2.4 GDI is part of a class action law suit against Kia. The 2.0 and 2.4 GDi's in 2011-2013 Sorento's, Optima's and Sportage's are all listed as having faulty rods, breaking, and spreading metal throughout the engine and causing it to seize. Hyundai also the same engines, and had a class action law suit, however Hyundai has settled their law suit. Kia has submitted documentation indicating they knew the engines/rods were faulty, however has not yet settled the lawsuit to recall or repair the engines. Kia and Hyundai are owned/operated by the same manufacturer. Though this is under warranty, I've read that Kia is not honoring the warranty on this issue. My car is currently at the dealership, awaiting an estimate and to determine if Kia will uphold it's warranty, if not, we will be suing.

- Kellie E., Charleston, US

Feb 242017

Sorento LX 2.4L GDI

While driving along on a narrow two lane road I attempted to pass a large slow moving truck. At about midpoint in the pass I noticed all of the dash lights that come on when the engine is not running were on. Luckily momentum got me beyond the truck and when I attempted to return to my travel lane the vehicle had no power steering. Fortunately I knew the road and new of a pull off area ahead. I was able to get to that point and get off the road safely.

After having the car towed to my neighborhood garage a couple of preliminary tests were done, one being looking at the oil in the oil filter, which showed evidence of metallic dust and particles, the other being an attempt to turn the crankshaft with a large socket wrench. The crankshaft would not turn.

I calIed the dealership I bought the car from and described the problem in a voicemail left with the Service Manager. After repeated attempts I still am not getting a response from the dealer. I am not surprised since this seems to be a common issue that Kia does not want to own up to.

- bmatteo104, Fredericksburg, Virginia, US

Feb 222017

Sorento LX V4

The dealer is citing this is due to inappropriate maintenance of the vehicle and that causes the engine oil to run low. I have the oil changed twice in 7,000 miles. The dealer cites that the oil must have not been added properly. This is the second time this occurred. Once at 72,000 and once at 79,000.

- Janet O., Poughkeepsie, NY, US

Dec 082016

Sorento

Took my car in to have the sway bar and ball joint replaced as there was play in them. Dropped the car off at 11:30 am, and it was running fine. At 3pm I received a call that the key wouldn't start the car. I took them my other set of keys still nothing. The engine was completely seized up. They can't turn the crankshaft manually or anything. Drained the oil to find metal shaving in it. There were no oil lights on, no engine lights on, nothing wrong with the car except the vibration due to the sway bar and ball joint. Now it's dead. We purchased it 10 months ago!!! It was driven by one owner prior to us, had the oil changed regularly. IT's 15 days before Christmas, and it's over. We have no car, no money to put towards Christmas because we have to solve the car issue as we have 7 kids!! Sigh, Merrry frickin Christmas, Thanks KIA!!

- Samantha M., Waupaca, WI, US

Jan 202017

Sorento 2.4L Cdi

I bought a new Kia 2012 Sorrento in December of 2011, so the 60 month or 100,000 mile warranty ran out last month. On the evening of January 20, 2017, my wife and I noticed a subtle mechanical clicking sound when trying to accelerate and within literally a few minutes, the engine completely shut down. At that time, we were on a busy highway in traffic, at night and approaching bridge that sits about 150 feet above a river. A tractor-trailer swerved into the other lane to avoid hitting us from behind and after he passed, I immediately diverted into the median and was able to stop the car there, despite no power steering, no power to the brakes. I re-started the engine but the sound was an incredibly loud, deep sounding metal on metal rolling noise so I shut it off and called a tow truck. The next morning, a local mechanic (not a Kia certified mechanic, but a man with 45 years experience as a master mechanic) explained that the engine was blown and would need to be replaced. I am planning to have the car towed to the Kia dealership where I purchased the vehicle tomorrow (1/23/17) to get their assessment and estimated cost to repair/replace the engine. I have about 13 payments left on the vehicle and am now in a serious bind as I am without a vehicle for work until I can get this one repaired or replaced. I have never had an issue or complaint with any other manufacturer of any product that has ever led me to consider legal action, but it can not be anything but fraud to sell a car knowing it was defective and knowing that after a certain length of time, the level of stress on certain parts has repeatedly result in a catastrophic mechanical failures.

In June of 2016, apparently a class action suit was filed in California against Kia. The lawsuit alleges the defect causes stalling and complete engine failure at any time, including while driving, making the problem a serious safety hazard. In addition, the plaintiffs say the defect rears its head during or shortly after the limited warranty has expired. According to the lawsuit, not only did Kia conceal that the engines are prone to failure, but the automaker concealed the defect from consumers to keep selling the vehicles. The plaintiffs say Kia has long known about the Theta (CDI) engine problems yet refuses to freely repair the engines or order a recall. Even when a vehicle clearly shows symptoms of the alleged defect, Kia ignores the symptoms until enough mechanical problems have occurred to run up a big repair bill. The plaintiffs say many owners have continued to complain to Kia about the Theta engine problems but even while under warranty, the automaker fails to cover the cost for repairs. It is clearly a design flaw and to take the position that it is not the responsibility of the manufacturer in spite of demonstrative evidence to the contrary, is the equivalent to Kia playing Russian Roulette with the lives of its thousands of customers who are currently driving what amounts to a time bomb with a short fuse. To my knowledge Kia has not yet issued a recall and, if this is the case, it is a matter of time before deaths and injuries result from this catastrophic engine failure. As these defective mechanical instruments continue to age, the number of defective Kia's are about to exponentially increase. This is clearly not an isolated event and I am absolutely terrified for other Kia owners who are unknowingly driving a vehicle that will, with minimal to no warning, suddenly undergo catastrophic mechanical engine failure. In the wrong setting and with the wrong conditions, this can and will prove life threatening. The odds of fatalities and serious injuries from such a defect are almost a certainty. Maybe an overwhelming number of these engine failures can get the attention of the NHTSA to force Kia’s hand on the issue if they truly refuse to admit and address the flaw. I guess it is possible that the company is not in a position to withstand the financial loss it would suffer from such a massive recall. I guess money staying in their pockets matters more than the lives of their customers, and if that is the case, I think their will be a day in the near future when Kia is an extinct automobile. This defect is functionally very similar to the Chevy Cobalt GM ignition malfunction. In the Chevy Cobalt, an ignition flaw resulted in the vehicle suddenly shutting off at speed, deactivating safety systems like airbags and anti-lock breaks. GM recalled 2.6 million vehicles in 2013 due to this defect. The investigation later revealed that GM knew about the defective part as early as 2004 and the faulty ignition has been blamed in 90 total deaths so far. Until literally about an hour ago, I had never seen this sight or heard any other issues with Kia motors. I was simply doing a google search to see roughly what it would cost to replace the engine and it led to this very frustrating discovery that this is not only not isolated, but apparently pretty well vetted out and yet Kia can tolerate a death from their mistake as opposed to admitting they have a poorly designed and engineered engine. I am imagining the recall of literally millions of vehicles that carry the faulty engine would not necessarily be survivable for Kia. Maybe they should know what it feels like to lose their job because their Kia broke down!! I know I do not have the $6000 it will likely cost to repair this vehicle...and I also know that there is not a snowball's chance in hell that I or ANYONE I KNOW WILL BE ALLOWED TO BUY A KIA. IN FACT, I CAN NOT WAIT TO TELL EVERYONE ON THE LOT AS I HAVE MY SORRENTO TOWED TO THE PEOPLE WHO SOLD BE THIS PIECE OF GARBAGE. OK, I AM DONE.. HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE.. PAUL

- drpr0710, Dora, AL, US

Dec 012016

Sorento LX 2.4L Gdi

I just got my 2012 Kia Sorento back from the dealer with a remanufactured engine. It has 111,000 on the clock.

Coincidentally I was traveling to the local Kia dealership, accelerated out of my community to about 40mph, engine light on, engine died, no power steering etc. Called them up and they sent a tow truck out. They called a couple of hours later to let me know engine had seized solid and requires a new engine. Fortunately they have done work on it before and know that i have serviced it, zero sludge. I do all the servicing myself – Mobil1 full synthetic every 5-7000 miles, obviously a waste of good oil in hindsight.

For all those people who say that the dealer needs proof of service for warranty - fight back - turn it around to "prove that i didn't service it" If you are confident you serviced it, pay for an independent tear down of the engine. The tear down will simply involve dropping the oil pan. Now you have proof that there is no sludge, therefore it did not cause the problem. I can't believe they are playing on this 'prove service' rubbish - its a known defect.

Now, the reman engine is only warranted for 12 months or 12,000 miles, then I am on my own, This will have 12,000 miles in 6 months. Do i risk it or ditch it? Kia should warrant this specific failure for the life of the car, it is categorically a build problem with failures from 5000 miles to mine at 111,000 miles. It is so easy to diagnose that the shoddy build caused the destruction of an engine. It is a simple, less than 2 hours labor to drop the oil pan, and undo the bearing caps. They need to take responsibility.

So far so good, 600 miles and no engine failure!!

- Mark M., Coral Springs, FL, US

Nov 302016

Sorento Mp 4-cyl

SHOULD BE COVERED UNDER WARRANTY. I HAVE OIL CHANGES EVERY 3,000 MILES RELIGIOUSLY. I WAS DRIVING MY CAR HOME FROM THE DEALER AFTER THEY TOLD ME THERE WAS NOT A PROBLEM WITH MY ENGINE AND IT WAS SAFE TO DRIVE AND MY CAR COMPLETELY DIED WHILE DRIVING.

NOW THE SERVICE MANAGER IS TELLING ME HE WON'T REPLACE THE ENGINE BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE MY OIL CHANGE RECEIPTS???? MY SON IS A DIESEL MECHANIC. HE CHANGES MY OIL WITH GENUINE HYUNDAI/KIA (BLUE) OIL FILTERS AND GOOD OIL. I DIDN'T SAVE RECEIPTS. OMG!!! $5800.00?? THAT'S PAYMENT FOR MY CHILDREN TO GO TO SCHOOL, IT'S MY ROTH IRA SAVINGS FOR A YEAR!!

THE CAR WAS BRAND NEW...NOW ONLY 4 YEARS OLD AND THE ENGINE FAILS AND KIA WON'T FIX OR REPLACE IT????

- wegnerwi, Germantown, WI, US

Oct 012016

Sorento LX 2.4L Gdi

My daughter was driving the vehicle home when it started sputtering and died (while she was driving). She called me in a panic (17 year old girl). I went to the location and tried to start it with no luck. We pushed it off the side of the road (this was 10:30 at night). I went back in the morning w/my wife and, after a couple of tries, got it started. Vehicle had obvious problems. I drove it to the nearest shop and dropped it off (10/3).

Called the shop and told them the problem. They assured me they would take a look and call me. Called several hours later with horrible news. They saw no evidence of oil leaking but car had no oil, and had obviously overheated. They replaced head gasket and a few more things and test drove it. Engine light came back on and engine seized up. They now tell me there was more damage than initially thought and it basically needs a new engine. They called a Kia dealer in Raleigh and were told they had numerous Kia's w/engines with the exact same issue. Cannot believe Kia hasn't recalled these engines.

I have taken excellent care of the vehicle and now am screwed. Can't afford more repairs and not sure how to proceed.

- Mike B., Clayton, NC, US

Apr 222016

Sorento LX

well the problem was diagnose by kia. My car is still under standard warranty. We gave kia 90 percent of our oil changes. they review them. nd determine they will not pay fr the repairs. an pretty much said get a lawyer. We also have extended warranty on this vehicle. i dont know what my next step should be a power ful corporation with deeper pockets then me a a consumer. Im stuck with a vehilce I still have 3 more years of payments on. please help

- Tracy L., SPRINGFIELD, MA, US

Jan 082016

Sorento LX 3.5L 6 cyl

• CVT transmission

The following letter is what I have sent to Jiffy Lube Corporate, Kia Corporate, the BBB, ConsumerAffairs.com, and to a couple lawyers. Please if anyone has any suggestions, PLEASE let me know!!!

Hello. My name is Jeffrey Dicus. I recently moved to Denver, CO from Sioux City, IA. I was offered a great position at a new job here and had to accept it. I own a home in Sioux City and rented it out right away to move and start my job on December 5, 2015. Everything was going great here with the move and job and I was adjusting quickly. My brother in law and sister in law live here so having family here helped with move.

The beginning of January came and my mother in law decided she wanted to visit for Christmas. My sister in law let me use her car to go pick her mother up but only after she had the oil changed on her vehicle. I also decided to have the oil changed in my 2012 Kia Sorento as driving all the miles back and forth to Iowa over the past few months with the move had put me at being due for an oil change. I planned on going to get it changed at the dealership as I had always done, but wanted/needed it done quickly, so decided to go to Jiffy Lube (#901 ran by Southwest Lubrication, Inc.) 8100 Crestline Ave Unit E-2 Littleton, CO  80123 (303) 933-9319.

I went on January 8th, 2016 at 1:30 in the afternoon, they were not very busy, and were able to get me in quickly. They did their standard routine as far as letting me know “what needed/should be done” and their different classifications of oil changes. I chose the Signature Service as they recommended due to my vehicle being of “foreign nature”. I also had them replace the air filter as they recommended after showing me the “old one”. I was only there for about 45 minutes to an hour, it did not take them long to complete, paid for the service and was on my way.

This is where things started to happen. The past few months, (November-current) my vehicle had been making a squeaking noise coming from the brakes, as they also needed to be replaced, but not to the point yet of absolutely having to have this done. On January 10th, two days after the oil change at Jiffy Lube, I noticed a noise not like the squeaking of the brakes, but more like plastic flapping or something with a belt or fan blade. I was only assuming these were what these noises could be as I have heard them before on previously owned vehicles and friends vehicles. The noise was bad up until the vehicle reached 30-40 mph or about 2 on the RPM scale in the dashboard.

I drove to and from work at Advance America, which is about 6 miles from my home, so about a 12 mile round trip. I did this from January 11-13. I drove the vehicle to my sister in laws on January 14th, which is about 20 miles from my home, where it stayed parked for 24 hours while I took her vehicle to pick up her mother in Sioux Falls, SD. After I returned the next day, January 15,  I picked up my vehicle and went to work where I did marketing, which involved driving my vehicle around to distribute flyers. This added an additional 50+ miles to my vehicle. January 16 I also went to work, round trip of about 12 miles. The 17th, I used my sister in law vehicle to return my mother in law home. My car sat for another 24 hours as I did this. The next day, the 18th I did not have work due to the holiday, but noticed the noise was getting worse. The evening of the 18th my brother in law had a friend come over to their home,  where I was at the time, to check out my vehicle.

We first started the vehicle and drove around the parking lot and down the street so he could hear the noise. My brother in laws friend is NOT a mechanic but his brother is and he has been around cars his whole life, so i thought he would be able to quickly tell what was wrong and recommend what to do. After we returned to the parking lot, we opened the hood so he could look at that and check the oil, basic things everyone does with a car. We pulled the dipstick and there was absolutely NO oil on the end, we did this a couple times to verify it was correct in showing no oil. My brother in law unscrewed the cap of where the oil filter is housed to make sure there was one, he did this only after I told him to. There was a filter but no oil really on said filter. We screwed the cap back on the filter housing and examined around everything further to notice what looked to be oil covering most everywhere under the engine in the engine compartment. At this point I/they decided that I needed to go to the dealership to have it looked at further.

We added 2 quarts of oil to make sure there was enough for me to get home and then to the dealership as soon as possible. I took my vehicle to Peak Kia Littleton 5077 S Wadsworth Way Littleton, CO  80123 (303) 904-7806 and spoke with Robert Mitros, the service adviser there. I did this on January 20th and he recommended and said the next step would be to have a diagnostic test done. The next available time to do this was Thursday January 21st. I was there right away on Thursday morning for the test as I had to be to work by 10 am. The test took longer than expected and I called my work and this was fine with them to show up a couple hours late due to this appointment. I ended up “calling in” to work that day because the testing took longer than expected and that was due to Kia informing me that they had looked and done everything as far as they could diagnostic wise and advised me that my engine was done for and would need to be completely replaced.

I immediately thought it was something Jiffy Lube had done and called and informed them I would be looking into this further and also would be filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, which I did. The complaint number is 11097693. I have not heard anything back yet from this complaint. I was then contacted back by Jiffy Lube to get more information from me and the manager there said he was investigating this.

A few hours went by and the Jiffy Lube manager called to inform me that after reviewing their tapes and speaking with the service techs, that they did nothing wrong and everything had been done correctly. I did not agree and asked for their corporate number which he gave as their location number and for his bosses contact information. This location is owned as a franchise and the franchise owner just happened to be there at this time. He got on the phone, introduced himself as Doug Schroeder owner/operator, and I explained what was going on to him. He informed me he would do his best to help resolve this and offered to go to the Kia dealership to take a look for himself and see what he could see. He spoke with the service people at the dealership and after he was done with that, informed me that he and they had come to the conclusion that the oil was coming from somewhere other than the filter housing. I do not know much of anything about auto parts or things like this as I explained to him and he told me it was basically between Kia and I, and that is was something faulty with the vehicle, and being under warranty should be covered and fixed by Kia.

At this point, I figured that it could possibly be something wrong with the vehicle itself, because since I purchased it brand new in 2012, I had been to the dealership in Sioux City, IA many times with several different issues that they fixed and replaced under warranty. I contacted the Kia dealership in Littleton, Peak Kia, and spoke with Robert once again. I told him what Doug from Jiffy Lube had told me and he informed me that it was NOT something that they did and said it was something that happened with or at Jiffy Lube. I told him I wasn’t saying that it was something they had just recently done, but could be something with that particular vehicle as I had had numerous things done and fixed prior to moving here.

When it came down to it, he told me that it would be $345.00 for them to “tear down” the engine to find out what the real problem was. I already owed/owe them (Peak Kia) $115 for the diagnostic test and did not have the extra money to pay the $345 to pay to do this to either find out if was something wrong with the vehicle, then they would refund me and it would be covered by warranty, OR it would be something Jiffy Lube did and would NOT be covered by warranty and I would be out they $345 and would have to pay OVER $8000 for a new engine.

I did not/do not have the $345 to pay for then engine “tear down” since I lost my job due to NOT having reliable transportation, a requirement of my position there. They gave me the choice of either resigning or they would have to fire me since I was still “in training” and was losing my means of transportation. I chose to resign on January 22nd after working half the day and discussing all of these details with my boss. Robert at Kia had told me, that day, Friday the 22nd of January that my vehicle was not drivable, and if I did, my engine would definitely seize up. I have left it sitting there at the dealership since.

I have been back and forth with both Jiffy Lube and Kia, have filed a complaint with the BBB, tried to go and file a small claims case but after discussing with them the cost of an engine, advised that Colorado law on small claims limits at $7500 and it will be much more to fix my vehicle not to mention my loss of employment and now I am about to be evicted because I have no income. I have tried to contact numerous lawyers and other offices for assistance on what to do and how to find an attorney, but have not gotten anywhere yet. I have been in contact with a radio talk show and have been on the air with Tom Martino, who assists in consumer affairs, and has been helpful so far, but I think I need to hire an attorney or someone to help me with this.

I know this is a VERY long “plea” for assistance, but wanted whomever read it to be fully aware of my situation so I could get some direction on where to go from here. ANY information you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Again thank you for reading this and I hope to hear from someone soon!!

Jeffrey M. Dicus 3550 S Kendall St 6-303 Denver, CO  80235 (712) 253-6258 jmdicus614@gmail.com

- Jeffrey D., Denver, CO, US

Feb 152016

Sorento 4cl Awd

While going 65-70 mph on Rt 80 the car just turned off. No loud noises or smoke. The car was running fine until this issue. Luckily I was in the right hand lane and was able to get onto the shoulder and apply the emergency brake to stop since the power steering and brakes stopped working. The car is at the Gateway Kia in Denville now and they have to submit the maintenance receipts to Kia is see if it's covered under warranty. I ran around to the two places where I have my car serviced and obtained all my maintenance records and have provided them to the dealer. Hopefully, it is covered under the warranty.

- Lisa B., Hoptcong, NJ, US