CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2nd generation Sorento (2011-2014) has just too many engine problems at early mileage, year after year.

5.2

2014 Kia Sorento engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Kia Sorento:

2014 Kia Sorento Owner Comments

Aug 292016

Sorento

Vehicle described was purchased by us 8/10/16. Received notice from Kia on 8/29/16 that engine could "fail", basically come apart. Concerned with safety of family if wife was driving down the road or in a remote area and this occurs with her and grandchildren in car. Why would this not be a recall item. Please let me know why it would not be a recall item. Trying to avoid a potentially serious accident. Told to keep paperwork in glove box if it happens.....really? please help.

- Minden, NV, USA

Aug 282016

Sorento

The contact owns a 2014 Kia Sorento. The contact stated that the engine failed. While driving, the vehicle decelerated and emitted a loud ticking noise. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that there was oil sludge in the engine. The dealer stated that the engine needed to be replaced. The engine was not replaced. The manufacturer was notified. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Cleaveland, GA, USA

Feb 182016

Sorento

The contact owns a 2014 Kia Sorento. While driving 60 mph, there was a loud abnormal noise and the presence of smoke emitted outside and inside the vehicle. Upon further inspection, the contact lifted the hood and noticed flames near the motor. The vehicle was coasted over to the side of the road. The fire department extinguished the flames. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to a dealer, but was not diagnosed. The vehicle was parked at the dealer's for weeks. The manufacturer was notified of the failure, but it was uncertain as to when they would investigate the failure and provide a permanent remedy. The approximate failure mileage was 31,000.

- Durham, NC, USA

Jul 292015

Sorento

While driving at posted highway speed, a noise developed, seemed to come from the front of car, pulled over to check the source. Seemed to be coming from the engine, quiet at idle, more like a knocking sound when reving the engine above idle rpms. No codes or warning lights visible on dash brought to Kia dealer for diagnosis.. was told the complete engine needs to be replaced, internal engine problem. Will be covered by warranty. I travel by car extensively long distances, fortunate it didn;T happen on one of my trips. This happened while summering in Massachusetts. My home is in Florida.

- The Villages, FL, USA

Aug 052014

Sorento

Aug 5 2014 was driving home engine just stopped, which makes braking and steering very difficult. Got engine started after a few tries, drove home without further incident. Called Kia, had towed to local dealer. Dealer could not find any codes or problems. Mileage 9500. On Jan 7 2015 car would not start in parking lot at work. Managed to get started, drove 500 yards and engine quit at a stop light. Restarted engine, started up a hill and after 500 yards or so engine quit again. Restarted again continued home without incident. On Jan 7 2015 left work, engine quit again. Restarted and continued on. After 8 miles engine quit while traveling up a slope on snow covered road. Car slid backwards into a ditch. Restarted again, pulled the car from ditch, continued on. After a mile, engine quit again. Restarted and continued home without incident. Mileage 14000. Called Kia upon arriving home. They arranged a loaner car for us and we took Sorento to local dealer again. Dealer put 30 miles on car without incident and checked computer for codes. None found. Kia engineering instructed them to check all grounds. No problems found. Kia engineering is currently sending a data recorder to dealer for installation on car for 30 days to monitor systems. Hopefully we will have the same problem so data recorder can pick up the problem. Only problem is we are scared to drive the car for fear of a major accident. Kia does not seem concerned at all about our well being or anyone else's should we be in or cause an accident. Kia actually told us they were not worried about hypothetical situations. Mind you we live in northwest pa. The weather is less than hospitable much of the time during the winter months.

- Saegertown, PA, USA

Dec 292014

Sorento

The contact owns a 2014 Kia Sorento. While driving various speeds, the vehicle hesitated intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 35,000.

- Meridian , ID, USA

Feb 272014

Sorento

The contact owns a 2014 Kia Sorento. The contact stated that the vehicle engine would roar extremely loud. The contact took the vehicle back to the dealer, who stated that they could not diagnose the failure. The contact then took the vehicle to another dealer where it was determined that the failure was caused by a block in the engine. The contact was advised that the entire engine would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 10.

- Indio, CA, USA

Feb 262014

Sorento 4-cyl

On January 2014, I bought a Kia Sorento, 2014. On the same day I notice a strange noise on the engine. I took the car back to medina auto in caguas, puerto rico (dealer) and they said that the noise was due to the gdi motor type. I took the car several times back the dealer, with the same feedback. "the noise is due to the gdi motor type". my wife too the car back to medina auto for it first oil change and I again ask to check the strange noise on the engine... they immediately said to her that the noise was because the engine type (gdi). They call my wife to pick the car as it was ready. I went with my wife to the dealer to pickup the car, because that noise was not right. When I get to the dealer, they told me the same thing. The noise is due to the gdi engine type. I request that before I turn the car on, a mech technician be with me and that he personally confirm that the noise was the gdi. Well this time they found that the engine block was bad and it had to be replaced... if it wasn't for me, that I push them to re-inspect the noise, my wife could it be driving the car and I wondering what could it happen to her.. after requesting the replacement of the unit with a new car and since I notified several times medina auto of the noise, the dealer refused to replace the car with a new unit and only offers to fix the engine. I am writing to you, because this is not the first time I am listening to this situation with the Kia Sorento 2014. Any noise for the Kia in the engine is the gdi... what could it happen to my wife and kids if the engine stop running or crank while my wife was driving it? there is something not right with the Kia Sorento 2014, and the dealers and service departments are failing in identify the situation that could potential can cause an accident... every noise in the engine is the gdi for Kia, the dealers and service departments.....

- Gurabo, PR, USA

Jan 242014

Sorento

I just bought a new Kia 2014 Sorento. The engine roars and now I am getting a burning smell.

- West Boylston, MA, USA