Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Except for a minor issue with cracked motor mounts, the 2008 MAZDA3 is a fantastic vehicle with a great reputation.

If you need to replace the motor mounts, first ask your dealer if they'll cover it -- the motor mounts were dealt with in a TSB & were recalled for some model years. Otherwise buy aftermarket motor mounts -- owners report this solves the problem. If you use the same OEM parts, they may just crack again.

2008 Mazda MAZDA3 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Mazda MAZDA3:

2008 Mazda MAZDA3 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Jul 202010

I was driving my 2008 Mazda 3 "S" and when I heard a loud pop and the power steering light came on and a growling sound coming from the car. Trying to pull over was difficult as there was no power steering. Mileage on the car is 38500. Just 2000 miles over the factory warranty. Upon researching this online I have found that there are numerous complaints for failing electric power steering pumps in the 07-10 Mazda 3's. this seriously needs to be looked at as this could lead to an accident.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Aug 052010

After I was in lengthy traffic jam entering bwi for departure on Thursday August 5th, I pulled to the curb to let out passenger. On restarting my 2008 Mazda 3I, I noticed it was much harder to turn steering wheel--I thought I had a flat tire. Then I noticed the yellow steering wheel indicator on the dash. I could turn the wheel, but it took much more effort than normal. My wife checked owners manual and Mazda's suggestion is to restart the car. Ultimately I did so and the power steering resumed - with no indicator light glowing. Since then I drove the car 300+ miles without another incident.

- Eldersburg, MD, USA

Jul 312010

Mazda 3 power steering. W/O any warning my power steering went out on pulling onto a busy highway w/ my 2 yr old son in the car. Pulled over turned my car off then back on and the power steering was fine. I checked power steering fluid and it was full. I have not contacted the dealership yet because I was researching to see if anyone else ran into this problem w/ their Mazda 3.

- Williamstown, PA, USA

Aug 032010

The power steering on my 2008 Mazda 3 suddenly gave out on me while I was stopped in traffic and the power steering fault indicator light came on. Re-started the engine and it was fine after that. This is a huge safety issue while merging through traffic.

- Janesville, WI, USA

Jun 022010

Driving home from work, approx. 20 mile drive, when 5 miles from home the power steering warning light went on and then the power steering went out. Drove the rest of the way home with no power steering. Looked at the owner's manual, recommended shutting off engine and then restarting. Did that and the power steering was back. Has not recurred since then. May have dealer look at it and try to get them to replace due to recent news on this issue.

- New Brighton, MN, USA

Jul 282010

MAZDA3 4-cyl

I drive a 2008 Mazda 3 hatchback. Recently my wife was driving the car in hot day (about 95 degrees) and the power steering just went out. The car's equipped with a power steering failure indicator light and it did not turn on when this happened. This is the second time this has happened under very similar circumstances. The car worked fine after being parked in a garage for 24hrs or so when the power steering failed last time. Updated 08/19/10 updated IVOQ 08/23/10

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Jul 262010

The contact owns a 2008 Mazda, Mazda 3. while the contact was driving approximately 45 mph, an unexpected loss of power steering occurred. There was difficulty turning the steering wheel which caused the vehicle to travel into a parking lot uncontrollably. The contact was able to gain control. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the technician informed that power steering unit would need to be replaced. The part was unavailable; however, the repair part arrival date would be July 29, 2010. The failure mileage was 20,000. Updated 11/19/10. Updated 11/1610

- Temecula, CA, USA

Jul 202010

Sitting in parking lot, engine and A/C on, then tried to pull out, power steering failed; had to wait one hour for car to cool before the steering came back on. The power steering pump failed, needs to be flushed, common problem with the Mazda 3's apparently. At least it did not happen on the road.

- Broomfield, CO, USA

Jul 232010

I was driving on the freeway at rush hour and my power steering light came on. Within seconds I lost power steering and my car was incredibly hard to steer off of the road. I had it towed to a mechanic and he called today to say that the light is out now and the car is driving fine. He doesn't know what happened. My car only has 48,000 miles and I am afraid that this will happen again with dire consequences. I will take it to the dealer on Monday. My sister also has a 2008 Mazda3 and she also had power steering failure last year at 35,000 miles which the dealership fixed under the warranty. This is a serious safety concern. Please do something!!

- Centennial, CO, USA

Jul 142010

2008 Mazda 3I. Steering column shuddered violently when brakes were applied at high speeds (60 mph).

- Beverly Hills, CA, USA

Jul 222010

Power steering on 2008 Mazda 3 went out and indicator light came on. Fluid level is good and vehicle has 33,000 miles (original owner). Fortunately I was driving low speed and close to home as it was almost impossible to steer. Started the vehicle today and the problem is gone. Noted significant number of similar complaints so I want to ensure NHTSA knows about it. Will be taking to the dealer next.

- Sterling, VA, USA

Jun 222010

The power steering keeps going out on my 2008 Mazda-3. when it goes out the little dashboard indicator light comes on, and its nearly impossible to steer my car. It tends to happen when im driving above 60 mph for some reason. It is very scary when it happens and could easily cause a wreck. My car is barely 2 years old and it definitely should not be having problems like that. I believe this is a manufacturer defect and nothing I did to it. Furthermore, when I took my Mazda into the local dealership they not only seemed to know exactly what I was talking about (as if they've seen this problem more than once) but they told me that there is no 'official' recall as of yet. Then they told me the power steering pump was cost me $800-900 to fix. I really cant afford to pay that outrageous amount of money to have it repaired and shouldn't have to! I am 26 years old & bought that car under the assumption of getting many good years out of it with no problems. Its been a great car and I really like (with the exception of its recent power steering problem as formentioned). Please help!

- Topeka, KS, USA

Jul 202010

My 2008 Mazda 3 was idling in the parking lot on two separate occasions and when I went to back out my power steering light comes on and I'm unable to steer my car. I am afraid this is going to happen while I'm driving, and cause someone to get killed. My power steering fluid is above the max line and everything seems to be alright. After turning my car on and off several times it eventually starts working correctly.

- Pikeville, KY, USA

Jul 052010

Loss of power steering during the stop and go traffic, when the incident happened the vehicle was moving hardly, required excessive force. Turned off the engine for few minutes to cool down, after few minutes power steering started working again, steering kit replaced by Mazda dealer.

- Islip, NY, USA

Jul 152010

I drive a 2008 Mazda 3. on three different occasions the power steering has gone out. Today was the most recent, the second time was about 3 months ago, and the first time was another 3-4 months before the second time. The last two times I was parked, started the engine, tried to drive and realized the power steering was out. With great physical effort I was able to repark the car, stop the engine, and after about 10-20 minutes the power steering began working when the engine was started again. The first time the power steering went out while I was driving. Luckily I wasn't driving in a lot of traffic and was able to pull into a nearby business. It took great physical effort to turn the car and I think it's very possible that I would not have been able to steer the car and find a safe spot to park if I had been in lots of traffic or driving on the highway. This could be very dangerous and result in crashes. I was lucky that all three times I was either driving slow or parked.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jul 082010

Power steering failed while driving, third time in a week this has occurred. Has yet to be fixed.

- Rochester, WA, USA

Jul 122010

I own a 2008, Mazda 3. it has about 34,000 miles. I was in rush hour traffic on route 75 just outside of cincinnati when all of the sudden my power steering went out. I could barely turn the steering wheel and four lanes of traffic were directed off an exit because of an accident closing the highway..this was extremely difficult with no power steering. I got off the highway and turned off my car, preparing to call a tow truck. When I started the car again the steering worked. I don't understand and am not sure what to do. I commute an hour to work everyday. I am afraid to drive my car.

- Beavercreek, OH, USA

Jul 082010

The power steering went out on our Mazda 3 while driving down a busy road. It happened unexpectedly and severely enough that my husband had difficulty controlling the car and had to pull over. All fluids were full and we have regular maintenance done on the car. Called our Mazda service department and they tried to charge us but said we barely slipped in under the warranty timeline so the part was covered. Now we find out there is a potential recall looming for this issue. This could have been a disastrous situation and Mazda's handling of it was sub-par to say the least. They gave us a loaner and are fixing the car at no charge but their position when we had the car towed to them was that we should be paying for the repair. They took no ownership of the problem at first and never bothered to mention this was a persistent problem they were seeing, especially in the '08 Mazda 3.

- Portland, OR, USA

Jun 232010

The contact owns a 2008 Mazda, Mazda3. The contact stated that the vehicle was on in the park position for a few minutes; however, when the contact attempted to drive, the steering wheel was very stiff and the power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was shut off for approximately 30 minutes and after she turned it back on, it began to function normally. The failure has since recurred intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed by the dealer. The failure mileage was 37,700 and the current mileage was 37,746.

- Appomattox, VA, USA

Jun 122010

The contact owns a 2008 Mazda Mazda3. While driving at approximately 10 to 30 mph, the power steering failed and vehicle became difficult to steer. The contact was able to correct the power steering by making unknown repairs under the hood. The failure recurred within one week. The dealer was contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure and current mileages were 37,000.

- Appomattox, VA, USA