2010 Mazda MAZDA3 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Mazda MAZDA3:

2010 Mazda MAZDA3 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 182016

The contact owns a 2010 Mazda 3. while driving 40-45 mph, the power steering seized without warning. The vehicle became difficult to operate safely. The contact stated that the electronic power steering pump was replaced at 98,000 miles; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 103,000.

- Yukon, OK, USA

Aug 262016

My power steering suddenly gave out while driving on a city street. It is no longer working. I was told by a mechanic that the power steering hydraulic pump needed to be replaced. It was replaced but the power steering is still not functioning. It's exactly the same. There was and is no light lit up on my dashboard indicating a power steering failure; yet the power steering is not working at all. The car must be steered with manual force/muscle, especially when driving slowly or when stopped.

- Baldwin, NY, USA

Jul 202016

The car has 43000 power steering went out as I was driving causing a problem vehicle

- Kailua, HI, USA

Mar 072016

Steering wheel locks up while driving. Cannot maneuver. This happens randomly.

- Edison, NJ, USA

Dec 302015

Steering wheel locking up while driving, unable to turn the car

- Manchester, NH, USA

Mar 262015

I was driving home in a city street, at a speed of about 30mph. Suddenly, while on a curve, I lost power steering! the steering wheel became very rigid and the car almost impossible to control. I was able to avoid a collision by sheer arm strength. I never regained power steering.

- Wakefield, MA, USA

Dec 312014

I was driving to work today and similar to the previous posts, my power steering light lit up and steering assist failed. 4 times in the 4 mile trip.

- Dodge City, KS, USA

Aug 012014

MAZDA3 4-cyl

I was driving on a standard 40 mph busy street when I turned a corner and my power steering completely failed, I narrowly missed hitting a pole. I took it into a Mazda dealership in hopes that it would be honored in the Mazda3 2009 recall or perhaps it could be honored in a warranty, but was told no. I filed an official complaint with Mazda but was further denied, they would not help me in any way reconcile the $1200 cost of the repair nor would they issue another recall. My life was at risk and I was put under terrible distress during and after this situation with the cost of repairs to this systematic design flaw. I filed a second complaint with Mazda customer experience asking for reimbursement but was still denied. This is a serious issue that persists in models outside of the 2009 power steering recall and Mazda needs to take responsibility for the safety of their cars and all drivers.

- Orange, CA, USA

May 132014

The contact owns a 2010 Mazda Mazda3. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated as the power steering assist failed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering assist module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage and current mileage was 90,000. The VIN was not available.

- Forth Worth, TX, USA

Nov 182013

The contact owns a 2010 Mazda, Mazda3. The contact was driving 35 mph when the power steering warning lamp illuminated as the power steering assist failed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for inspection. The contact was informed that the power steering assist module was failing and that the failure could recur sporadically. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the incident. The approximate failure mileage was 54,000.

- Kingsport , TN, USA

Nov 182013

Power steering assist light came on and stayed on. Car was very hard to steer.

- Kingsport, TN, USA

Sep 052013

MAZDA3 4-cyl

Parked car after short drive. When restarted catastrophic power steering failure very similar in symptoms of the recall for models as late as 2009. Would not be surprised to find a 2009 part in the car. The car is not drivable except by person with ample upper body strength to man-handle steering and is a significant safety hazard.

- Georgetown, TX, USA

Sep 222012

The contact owns a 2010 Mazda Mazda3. The contact stated that the power steering assist malfunctioned. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was confirmed that the power steering assist had failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the issue adn provided no assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 26,000.

- Winchester, VA, USA

Aug 292012

MAZDA3 4-cyl

On August 29th while driving with my 2010 Mazda 3, going about 30 miles an hour, the power steering wheel locked up, and all the warning/indicator lights came on. I completely lost control of the car. I tried to re-start the car, but the car would not start and the warning/indicator lights came on steady, with the exception of the electronic steering lock warning light, which was flashing red. It was not a battery issue because the radio and lights worked fine. I had the car towed to a Mazda dealer. The Mazda dealership said that they did not know what the issue was because they could not access the PCM to read the error code to understand what happened, and they ended up replacing the PCM. I called Mazda customer assistance and complained and they told me that the PCM failure does not relate to the steering wheel locking up. This is similar to complain #10461029. I do not feel safe driving this car again, and I would like Mazda to take it back. It only has 23000 miles, and I have another 6 month to go on my lease.

- Boonton, NJ, USA

Jul 012011

MAZDA3 4-cyl

Have had intermittent power steering loss with indicator light illumination for approximately one year. After engine gets up to temp power steering cuts out. It will sometimes resume after stopping to let the engine cool. Current recall extends to 2007-2009 model year vehicles until the month before my vehicle was made. Mazda refuses to recognize that this could be related and since vehicle is out of warranty won't repair.

- Forest Grove, OR, USA

Jun 072012

The contact owns a 2010 Mazda Mazda3. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, he turned left and the steerng wheel seized. The warning light also illuminated on the instrument panel. The steering wheel returned to normal function a few minutes later. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The dealer was notified and the contact was informed that there were no recalls addressing the failure. The manufacture was contacted and they also stated that there were not any recalls. The failure and current mileages were 40,700.

- Laquinta , CA, USA

Jun 102011

MAZDA3 4-cyl

While I was making a exit from the freeway onto a local road, I lost control of the steering wheel while slowly braking. Afterwards my car spun out of control and I was in a head on collision with the guard rail for the highway ramp. This happened with my car logging close to 21500 miles. Inspection at the body shop determined that issues between the brake pads and steering wheel led to the steering wheel stopping. Fixing this problem involves replacing brake and possibly steering components according to the body shop.

- Troy, MI, USA

Nov 042010

MAZDA3 4-cyl

On 11/4, I was on my way to meet my yoga classmate for lunch at 1917 bistro. The restaurant's parking lot was full. So, I backed out and circled the block to find another parking space. When driving on livernois I noticed a parking lot that's why I decided to go back around. I pulled into the first empty parking lot which I thought was better than trying to parallel parking in the one space on the street. So, I turned into a graveled parking lot. I made a left then began to pull up to the parking space but the car accelerated and smashed into a building. The car would not stop so I shifted the car into reverse. The car jerked back wildly; it was hard to handle but I got the car to stop. A man came out of the wig shop. I was standing outside of the car examining the damage - white paint from the building and a slight puck on both sides of the bumper. The man looked at me incredulously because he said the impact shook theshop. His mouth was open and it took him a few minutes to close it. A woman came out also because she felt the impact in the shop next to the man's shop. There were no witnesses to my acceleration problem. I did not report the incident because I did not see a police officer (it's detroit). After lunch, I drove back home and sent Mazda an email. I heard from Mazda Friday morning. The car was towed to the dealer in troy. I spoke to amir about the incident and told him that the car was on its way into the dealership (by the way, I even have my oil change at the dealership). When the car arrived I received a call from scott bryant who, in an accusatory manner asked me to repeat what happened despite amir telling him my story. He warned me that it will take all afternoon to look at the car. Scott called later to inform me that a field engineer will be coming in on Monday to look at the car. He did not offer me a rental.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Jul 102010

The contact owns a 2010 Mazda3. While driving 65 mph the vehicle lost power within a few seconds and the power steering light illuminated. The steering failed and the contact experienced electrical failure with the passenger door that could not be unlocked from the inside. The sunroof button also would not shut the sunroof. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing who was unable to locate a failure code; therefore, they stated that nothing was wrong with the vehicle. The manufacturer took report number 132669400. The failure mileage was 13,800. The current mileage was 13,900.

- Providence, RI, USA

Aug 092010

Loss of steering control on my 2010 Mazda 3 resulting in accident. Also the brakes did not operate as designed. While turning a corner the vehicle steering wheel locked and/or loss steering control, brakes were applied, vehicle begin to stop but before stopping, it turned and ran off the road causing damage to vehicle and property. This was confirmed by driver, 2 passengers and the police. This was the first time this happened. Not sure what is wrong with vehicle. Damaged being repaired at this time.

- Naples, FL, USA