2.9

2010 Mazda MAZDA3 wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Mazda MAZDA3:

2010 Mazda MAZDA3 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Aug 172016

MAZDA3

Twice now, when I was alerted via my TPMS that I had low tire pressure in one of my tires, I stopped at a service station to add air to my low pressure tire. As I applied the air hose to the valve stem, the valve stem (and the attached TPMS sensor, disappeared into the wheel and tire and the tire went immediately flat.. I believe this to be the result of faulty design of the TPMS assembly. The materials used in the collar and nut that secure the TPMS assembly to the wheel is not appropriate for the environment (exposed to road salt, dirt, grime, brake dust, etc.) in which the TPMS assembly must function. The collar and nut corrode and eventually fail due to that exposure. Fortunately for me, I was stopped at the time of those failures; had I been traveling at highway speeds the complete failure (no air pressure remaining in tire) could have been catastrophic. The first assembly failed at approximately 36,500 miles and this most recent one failed at 61,800 miles. Both TPMS assemblies were oem parts and were installed on the vehicle when we bought the car new from Mazda. I have seen many reports online describing similar failures. To the best of my knowledge, Mazda has not yet recognized or acknowledged this as a problem with the design and failure of their TPMS assemblies. I would like them to acknowledge the problem and take action to address their faulty design, before someone gets hurt or dies from an accident resulting from another TPMS assembly failure.

- Beavercreek, OH, USA

Jul 062016

MAZDA3

At 78,000 miles one of my valve stems failed while driving at 65 mph. When I inspected the other three wheels, based on a recommendation from shop, I found another stem with about 2/3 of the nut missing along the entire length of the stem shaft. See pictures. If the front wheel stem had failed rather than the back wheel stem I could have had serious control issues.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Jun 232016

MAZDA3

Valve stems on tires blow out with very little warning. It has happened three times on my vehicle, twice at highway speeds with my small child in the backseat. The sensor for low tire pressure goes on and within a minute the tire is completely ruined. And the most recent incident was with a tire only six months old and less than 10000 miles. There is not enough time to even pull over. This is very unsafe and scary.

- Altonna, PA, USA

May 022016

MAZDA3

2010 madza3 less than 40,000 miles. Went to have snow tires removed after winter season. All four TPMS valves corroded and broken into pieces. Tire dealer would not release car with valves in this condition. Have temporarily replaced with regular, non-monitoring valves. Six year old vehicle with this few miles should not be having this issue. No recall issued, but obviously common issue with this model. Why hasn't recall been issued. Could be catastrophic on highway.

- Edina, MN, USA

Dec 302015

MAZDA3

Steering wheel locking up while driving, unable to turn the car

- Manchester, NH, USA

Feb 062016

MAZDA3

[I bought my car used, and it came with the TPMS light on. I was told it was because the passenger rear sensor wasn't transmitting. I check my tire pressure often, and ignore the TPMS light because those sensors are expensive! more on this later.] as I was accelerating from a stop light a few weeks ago, I realized I was getting a flat tire on the driver front. I pulled over and, as I was taking the lug nuts off, noticed the valve stem had disappeared. After I got to the tire shop and they were inspecting the tire, the tech informed me the flat was because the entire valve had fallen out of the tire! they also informed me the passenger rear tire did not have a faulty sensor; the valve had been replaced (by the previous owner) with a non-sensor valve. I found it strange that now two tire valves had been replaced on my car. When I researched this online, I discovered my model year has several complaints of the valves breaking or falling out! and now my driver rear tire is losing air, so I suspect that valve needs replaced, as well. I contacted Mazda and was surprised to find their email response included no mention at all of the tire valves - the entire point of my contacting them. I found other owners online stating Mazda is aware of this problem, but refuses to issue a recall. At this point, I have one replaced valve without a sensor (courtesy of the previous owner), the $80 valve I just replaced (with a sensor), one valve I suspect is leaking and needs replacedn, and one valve that may fail at any time like the one a few weeks ago. Mazda needs to address this and rectify it. They're lucky that valve failed before my road trip on the 9th, when I would have been going 70 mph on the highway! and I don't appreciate having to spend $320 to correct Mazda's mistakes.

- Portland, OR, USA

Feb 032016

MAZDA3

Tire valve stem on 2010 Mazda 3 corroding and braking apart. The first valve stem broke off while I was putting air in my tires. Now two more are visibly corroded and the nut that holds the valve stem to the wheel are breaking apart (one of them half the nut fell off).

- North Ridgeville, OH, USA

Feb 032016

MAZDA3

Tire sensor malfunctions and punctures the tire. I had already replaced tire sensors on all the wheels and it is happening every year. I only had 44,000 miles and I had to replace all the tires and tire sensors. I had the car parked yesterday night and all the tires had good pressure and drove in the morning out the driveway. Within less than 0.5 driving my front passenger wheel got flat. After towing to dealer, I found out it was due tire sensor.

- Needham, MA, USA

Sep 162015

MAZDA3

Four new tires installed last summer. Since then two have failed while driving. The first time I thought my daughter hit something when the right front totally failed (replaced new tire under 5000 miles). She said it happened while driving slow thru neighborhood. Then the left front failed a few months later and she had it replaced. She was told the problem is the TPMS, and that the right rear will probably fail too.

- Springboro, OH, USA

Jul 222015

MAZDA3

TPMS blow out while driving in the highway. Here is an image of my third TPMS that would have blown out while driving in the highway. Good thing I noticed this because I now know to check for it. tinypic.com/R/2pt89cl/8 tinypic.com/R/2unwlr5/8 tinypic.com/R/O6A64J/8 tinypic.com/R/5Z2vc9/8

- Carteret, NJ, USA

Jun 242015

MAZDA3

The contact owns a 2010 Mazda 3. while driving 65 mph, the rear passenger side tire exploded. The tire was replaced with a spare. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The mechanic stated that the TPMS sensor was corroded and the nut was fractured. The tire was replaced and the sensor was replaced with regular valve stems. The contact also stated that the dashboard was melting, which caused a glare from the sun. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 83,000. Updated 09/14/15

- Plymouth Meeting , PA, USA

Sep 222012

MAZDA3 4-cyl

Today as I am reporting is the 3rd incident of this type since I bought the car brand new, and my car now has only 44 K miles on it. The TPMS sensors on the Mazda 3 are connected to the air valve in the tires. TPMS sensors are very fickle and tend to corrode and break with seasonal weather. When the TPMS sensor breaks on a Mazda3, it lets all the air out of your tire and gives you a flat, stranding you wherever you are. TPMS sensors are supposed to aid drivers to let them know there is a problem, but in this case, they actually cause the problem. The air valve being connected to the TPMS is unique to the design of this car, and has never been a problem for me with other vehicles. This can lead to dangerous situations, depending on how fast the car is traveling and where. I have lost air on the highway and been stranded on the side of the road. TPMS sensors/installation are 200 bucks each approximately, and if your tire gets ripped up during the incident, you must also buy a new tire.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jan 252015

MAZDA3

The valve stems on the wheels are corroding and one completely fell off while attempting to take a cap off of it to add air. These could potentially result in rapid air loss from the tires and an accident. I was lucky that it happened when I wasn't driving.

- Oakland, NJ, USA

Oct 012013

MAZDA3

I have now had two TPMS valve stems snap off while needing to inflate my tires. Both cracked in half at the threaded part or the stem. Cost is $150 each to replace. Mazda corporate says this is "normal". I have driven 500,000 in my life and never had a valve stem crack off. This car has had two. Forums are littered with this issue. People complaining of failure while driving and tires going flat on the highway. Will someone need to die for Mazda to change these dangerous monitors?

- Elkridge, MD, USA

Mar 242011

MAZDA3 4-cyl

Replaced 1st of 16 tires to date. Since owning this car, we've had to replace tires 1X/year. This is due to the overly aggressive camber on the car. During this time, we've taken it to 2 separate Mazda dealers who deny any defect in the car. As a last resort we've contacted Mazda, na, who referred us back to one of the dealers we've dealt with in the past. Their solution was additional rotations and alignments. You can't align camber when it meets the manufacturer's specifications that cause the tires to wear on the inner side prematurely. We have 80,500 miles on the car and have put on 4 sets of tires. Mazda denies any defect, just as they did 20 years ago with a seat belt problem that resulted in a recall after government intervention. The tire issue is a safety issue in that the wear is out of sight. This last pair of tires were purchased due to a blowout on a major road and having to change to the donut while on the shoulder. Mazda will not back their vehicles, so don't buy them!

- Milford, PA, USA

Dec 042013

MAZDA3

The tire pressure sensors became corroded. One broke off during getting new tires installed, the second happened while I was filling the tire with air. It just fell apart in my hand.

- Kansas City , MO, USA

Aug 082014

MAZDA3 4-cyl

All four wheels are rusting. Rust is so bad that a flat tire cannot be changed, the wheels are rusted completely to the axles. Car has never been exposed to salt water and was purchased new.

- North Bergen, NJ, USA

Jul 062014

MAZDA3

Low tire pressure light came on while driving. Pulled in to the gas station to check tires and noticed a flat rear tire. Went to put air in and saw the valve stem was gone. Had it towed and was told I need to replace all of them. They are all cracked. Just got back from a vacation. Glad this didnt happen on the tunpike. Seems very soon for this to happen. Been driving 40 years. This is a first.very expensive and dangerous.40,000 miles seems pretty soon for this.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Apr 192014

MAZDA3

On 4/19/14, I had a broken TPMS sensor which needed to be replaced. This sensor was on the passenger side, front tire. Then again on 6/2/14, I had the same problem on a different tire - the driver side back tire.

- Williamsville, NY, USA

May 222014

MAZDA3

While driving on the highway my tire pressure monitor system (TPMS) light came on to indicate a low tire. I pulled into the gas station near my house right after and check my tire pressures. When checking the driver side rear tire pressure with a tire pressure gauge the TPMS sensor and stem pushed in and air blasted out, blowing several pieces of the sleeve that keeps the stem in place off of the wheel/stem. I picked up the 2 remaining pieces (one third of the sleeve was missing and presumed to have fallen off while driving) and they had cracked length-wise and had a large amount of white corrosion in the threads. The remaining stem was also covered in white corrosion on the threads and the tire had lost most of its pressure. I still have those pieces of the cracked TPMS sensor sleeve if needed to be examined. I took the vehicle and wheel to the Mazda dealership where they inspected that wheel as well as the others. They stated that 2 of my other TPMS sensors had cracked sleeves that could come off at any time in addition the one that had failed. If one of those had failed on one of my front wheels this could have caused a loss of control while driving.

- Crescent Springs, KY, USA