Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Radiators are still cracking, leaking coolant and destroying transmissions. Which is a shame when you consider that otherwise, this would be a great small pickup truck.

2006 Nissan Frontier drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Frontier:

2006 Nissan Frontier Owner Comments (Page 2 of 8)

Oct 282015

Coolant mixing in transmission. No warning, truck just quite working.

- Hot Springs, AR, USA

Oct 182015

Bought the truck used at a Nissan dealership. Had under 50K miles. 2 months ago check engine light came on and heat was not working. Had it looked at several times spending money each time but they could not find problem. Last month truck started running rough. Found out this week it needs a new transmission/radiator due to a problem that Nissan has known about for years. There was a class action lawsuit about the problem. They said my truck is too old to qualify for help. According to sites I see we do qualify and I need some help. It overheated today and broke down on highway and is not drivable. I need someone to help me with this.

- Rollinsford, NH, USA

Sep 272015

I was informed that there was a cracked radiator in my truck that was leaking fluids into my transmission. This was on Sunday 9/27/15. The employee of my local dealership informed me about this. The following I was informed by the service department that I would need to replace the radiator and transmission. I was told that this was an "ongoing" issue going on with vehicles that match my make and model.

- Wailuku, HI, USA

Sep 102015

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Frontier. While driving at approximately 60 mph, the accelerator pedal was depressed and the rpms increased, but the vehicle failed to accelerate without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the transmission was filled with fluid and needed to be repaired. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 127,000.

- Stanley, WI, USA

Jul 242015

Recently my 2006 Nissan Frontier transmission started to make a grinding noise at speeds when shifting to a lower gear. I checked the computer about possible problems; that is when I found out about the transmission lines failing inside of the radiator. The water was leaking into my transmission. Nissan and the dealership that I was getting my truck serviced knew of the problem for many years. When I asked the service adviser about the problem, he told me my Frontier had 7,000 over 100,000 miles and that was the cutoff for Nissan to help. What made me mad was that I had my 90,000 mile service done at the dealership on 01/28/2014, paid $523.38 and nothing was told to me so I could take action to save my transmission!!! I should had been told of the defective transmission lines before it ruined my trans. Now I am out $3,228.78 for a rebuilt transmission. They knew I had the Frontier, why didn't they tell me of the defective transmission lines... I don't understand...

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Mar 302015

In February 2015 I started having transmission shutter/shake at 35 to 40 mph. Transmission continued to get worse with the transmission banging into gear at approx 65 mph. Took vehicle to my mechanic who informed me of the ongoing cracked radiator leaking water into transmission problem. Within 4 weeks of first problem, transmission failed completely and I was forced to have it replaced at a cost of $4535.47.

- Windsor, CA, USA

Jul 092015

Car would not start, towed to mechanic. He reported transmission needs to be replaced due to contamination. To my family this is a safety issue due to the fact that we live in a very rural area that sees little traffic nor does it have good cell phone reception.

- Kurtistown, HI, USA

Jul 312015

Transmission failure due to a defective radiator. Warning signs of failure. Truck stalls out while driving at normal speeds. The day it went out I was crossing a bridge and came hair of getting rear ended. By the time I got close to home it was just slipping so bad I had to park it. Nissan will not take any responsibility for this and thousands of people are stuck with a $5000 repair bill which the average person like me can't afford. This problem should be a full blown recall on all affected vehicles.

- Florence, KY, USA

Jul 312015

I went to kerry Nissan where I bought the truck when I got the notice about the cross contamination of the transmission fluid and antifreeze due to a defect in the radiator. My truck had 88,000 miles on it at that time. I was told by the dealer not to worry because it was rare for this problem to happen.I asked about preventive measures and was told there was none. I asked about replacing the radiator. I was told that wouldn't help because it would be the same radiator. Now at 108,000 miles my transmission is shot because it's full of antifreeze. The truck has been garage kept, maintained, and looks like new. The dealer has quoted $5,236 to repair. I contacted Nissan they told me I had to take it to the dealer who is charging me $95 to tell me what I already know. Nissan knowing at that time they weren't going to do anything to help me. How do they settle a class action suit for 80,000 miles when all the incidents happen closer to 100,000? there should have been a total recall on all the vehicles affected to replace the radiator with a redesigned one. This is so wrong. I was planning on driving this truck another 5 years.

- Florence, KY, USA

Jul 272015

The transmission on my truck suddenly went out with no warning during my morning commute in heavy traffic on the 202 loop in phoenix. Shifting to a different gear had the same effect as stepping on the gas, which was that the engine revved with no increase or decrease in speed. I had to coast across 4 lanes of fast moving traffic. It was an incredibly dangerous situation. I am told by the Nissan dealership that transmission fluid mixed with coolant and that it was a catastrophic failure. I have received no notices of any kind from Nissan and was shocked to learn that this is a known, commonly occurring defect and that the defect manifests instantaneously and without warning most of the time. Nissan should be held accountable for the defective system and for not notifying me that I should have the dealer fix it before they put my life and property and that of every person around me at risk. Updated 09/15/15

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Jul 172015

Radiator has a crack internally and is leaking fluid in to the transmission. Cost is $3000 to fix.

- Allentown, PA, USA

Jun 032015

When I got out of college the first thing I wanted to do was to buy my dream car. I had been looking into getting a truck and I was debating between my number one choice a Nissan Frontier or 2nd choice Toyota Tacoma. I knew the Tacoma was probably more reliable in terms of minor parts yet I just loved the design of the Frontier and therefore I bought one in 2006 brand new. Ever since it has been my preferred and only way of transportation. I knew that maintaining it was imperative therefore when it came to an oil change, change of suspension trusts, transmission service, change of spark plugs; it was all done at the proper time. Yet my truck started giving me issues 4 months ago when it would shake or shimmer on road and freeway. Did several tire rotations, did suspension change, yet the issue still persisted. It all came down to a screeching halt when I was going up to sequoia national park for a hike with friends. My Frontier all of a sudden started loosing power and then the gears would just not change. Eventually my 'engine service soon' appeared and was forced to stop our trip. Had to hire a tow truck to bring down the truck and upon scanning I got a P1759 code. Upon researching I come to find out this is a common issue with not only this line of truck but also xterra and titan brands. You cannot believe my disappointment. If it were something simple I wouldn't mind but transmission"!? really?!? because of somebodies' mistake when it came to the engineering of the truck?!" and to find out Nissan is just ignoring the issue. Total disappointment and frustration! now I have to wait for our sweet government to take action since this is a perfect example of a major corporation irresponsibility and ultimately.... greed. Be warned all Frontier drivers, your time will come.

- Fresno, CA, USA

May 022015

Radiator cracked and leaked coolant into my transmission, killing the transmission.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Feb 112015

Frontier 6-cyl

I actually had a problem with my 2006 Nissan Frontier stalling when driving down the road and found out it was because of ECM relay so I called Nissan dealer and found out there was a recall on the relay. Made a appointment to get it fixed and had them see why I had a hesitation when taking off. Long story short I show back up to get my truck and service advisor tells me I need a new transmission and radiator because of coolant and transmission fluid being mixed.the service adviser was very short with me and sure didn't want to explain anything about the problem, he just wanted me to order $5302.87 worth parts to fix it.I don't know about the rest of you but I don't have that kind of money sitting around to buy a new transmission and radiator.this should be something that Nissan recalls apparently it's a big problem.

- Gravette, AR, USA

Apr 132015

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Frontier. While idling or coming to stop, the vehicle would shutter. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for a routine oil change and diagnostic testing. The technician determined that there was a leak in the radiator causing the coolant to seep in to the transmission. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 92,000.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Nov 012014

Frontier 4WD 6-cyl

While driving, the truck stalled on a hill due to transmission failure. Truck began rolling backwards into traffic. Transmission failure was caused by radiator coolant leaking into transmission. This is a known issue by Nissan, and a safety concern.

- Chimacum, WA, USA

Mar 142015

Frontier 6-cyl

I was driving along at highway speeds when suddenly my transmission completely failed with no warning. Thankfully it completely disengaged and did not damage any other systems. When taking it to the dealer for repairs, I was told that there was a crack in the coolant system and transmission fluid and coolant mixed together, thus ruining the transmission. After some research, I learned that this was a known issue and that Nissan did very little in the way of recalls/informing their customers of this potentially dangerous issue.

- Pottstown, PA, USA

Jan 292015

I was driving on the interstate, and then all the sudden the rpms went up and I had no control with the gas pedal, like it was in neutral, I pulled over to the shoulder put it in park, put it back in drive and it started to go again, as soon as I hit 4th gear it did it again. Took it to the transmission shop and the told me it was the radiator leaking into the transmission because of a cracked line. See this has been happening frequently with this model, why no warning or recall?

- Highlands , TX, USA

Dec 162014

Frontier 6-cyl

Took vehicle to local Nissan dealership for noise that appeared to be coming from transmission with a slight rowing sound when transmission shifted between 40 mph and 45 mph. Shop manager informed me truck needed a new timing chain and fuel tank sending unit. After making repairs to the timing chain which the shop manager specifically indicated that the problem was with the timing chain, my truck still has the same exact problem. These repairs were made at my expense. Now the dealership want me to pay for additional repairs that may not be the problem when they specifically assured me that the timing chain was the problem. I feel that the real problem with my vehicle is the radiator and transmission, which is a nation-wide problem with Nissan Frontier truck transmission and other Nissan vehicles. Nissan is responsible for a re-call on these vehicle. (will seek Nissan Corp. & BBB assist to resolve this issue).

- Faison, NC, USA

Dec 262014

Frontier 6-cyl

Recently purchased a used 2006 Nissan Frontier from a dealer and after a couple days of driving the check engine light came on, shifted real hard and about caused an accident. After further investigation, we found that there was coolant in the transmission and vis versa. Estimated cost of repair is 5-7 thousand dollars.

- Pace, FL, USA