Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Radiators are still cracking, leaking coolant and destroying transmissions. Which is a shame when you consider that otherwise, this would be a great small pickup truck.

2006 Nissan Frontier drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Frontier:

2006 Nissan Frontier Owner Comments (Page 3 of 8)

Nov 092014

Frontier 6-cyl

Transmission blew due to radiator fluid leaking into transmission. Known problem by Nissan, yet no recall issued and deadline to be part of class action lawsuit has passed.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Oct 312014

While in drive, vehicle does not want to shift into higher gear and took excessively long to gain speed. When this vehicle did eventually shift gears, it shifted extremely hard as if something was damaged. After diagnosed by mechanic, I was told that the radiator had leaked water and antifreeze into the transmission and both radiator and transmission needed to be replaced. I just purchased this truck two months prior. According to the mechanic, this is a problem Nissan has had and known about for several years and has not fixed or made known. I am told this will be an expensive fix, one that I can not afford anytime soon. This is a safety hazard because this vehicle could not speed up and I almost got rear ended several times. Please initiate a formal investigation of this vehicle and the above mentioned problem. This is clearly a manufacturer defect and should be corrected by Nissan.

- Brandon , FL, USA

Oct 282014

Frontier 6-cyl

My vehicle shuddered and felt to slip out of gear while driving! because of this known issue of leaking coolant causes transmission failure. I bought this Frontier with very low miles and was never told of this potential issue from the dealership. It should be a safety recall as it prevents the vehicle from accelerating and if you are driving can cause an accident. I am now reading that Nissan owners have no idea this is happening until too late. Once the coolant is mixed with the transmission fluid this lethal combination kills the valves, seals and torque converter -- rendering your entire transmission useless. I read that this issue is currently contained to the 2005?2010 model years. I have a 2006 with 64K miles! it is only time until this issue causes multiple accidents since this issue happens while cars are driving. Please push Nissan for a recall. I should not have to pay for a known engineering / manufacturing defect.

- Kenmore, WA, USA

Jul 162014

Frontier 6-cyl

Transmission was shifting erratic had it towed to a transmission shop. They found that the valve body in the transmission was rusted from a previous radiator failure allowing the transmission fluid and anti-freeze to mix together, see ODI number:10641659. Had to replace the valve body and overhaul the transmission.

- Mccomb, MS, USA

Jul 192013

Vehicle ran hot, was towed to dealership. Needed a new radiator transmission fluid mixing with antifreeze.

- Mccomb, MS, USA

Aug 142014

Frontier 6-cyl

When I was driving on I-4 in orlando fl my transmission suddenly failed from coolant leaking into it, I almost got hit by a tractor trailer when trying to get to the break down lane, come to find out this problem has been known by Nissan for quite some time and they didn't recall, I guess it will take someone getting killed before they are forced to step up and address this know defect, not only is it costly for the fix it's dangerous.

- Debary, FL, USA

Aug 262014

Frontier 6-cyl

The automatic transmission radiator cracked and coolant leaked into the transmission rendering it useless.

- Pflugerville, TX, USA

Aug 262014

Issue started as a no start condition. Upon investigation, the truck had a blown fuse and continuously blew fuses. The mechanic determined the fault was with the tpcm contained internally in the transmission caused by the radiator leaking antifreeze into the transmission via the transmission cooler, thus causing transmission failure. Vver upon contacting Nissan customer service, they immediately requested that it be taken to the dealership for determination of failure that I was responsible for the expense. There was no further assistance offered and they stated they would escalate the issue once the dealer diagnosed the problem. Let it be known, Nissan has issued a recall on this vehicle due to the exact problem noted here. My concerns are 1.) why should I encounter a second cost for diagnosis (especially since this is a known issue from Nissan) and 2.) what is my liability and reimbursement once determined the cause of the failure since my mileage exceeds their allocated amount. Prior recalls state that >90,000 miles was $3000 deductible whereas my mechanic could repair the vehicle for approximately $3000. At 117,000 miles, average mileage yearly is less than 15,000 / year. I requested that the regional service adviser contact me (via social network) and telephone but have no contact with Nissan as of this writing. This is clearly a manufacturers defective part which failed prematurely,

- Dry Fork, VA, USA

Jul 052014

Frontier 6-cyl

Hello fellow "nissaners"! well, was so happy with this truck and my wife as well, because that was her first idea to purchase this good-looking vehicle. Our son was driving our Frontier to school and back home a few years ago, then to a local university. Everybody were so happy! then my son mentioned that truck is behaving very strange: Heavy shaking/jumping at highway speeds around 60-65 mph. I didn't believed it till I draw myself. True! a few times I felt like heavy hit from behind, looks like someone ended up to truck's rear side! then I searched web and after some exploration realized the problem is radiator coolant contaminates with automatic transmission fluid! how"! I opened radiator cup and saw milky substance on it and transmission fluid was not a clear pink color, it was more like pinkish milk shake color! that was it!!! after almost $32K were paid in full and happy family for a few years, now a huge frustration and helplessness!!! dealers "offer a help" only if we pay full price for transmission and radiator to change - about $6K. I have not so much money!!! I heard Nissan refusing a recall on this huge issue. Mr. Nissan or whoever you are, please do something about it, are you sleeping well every night"! we don't!!! are you (Mr. Nissan) afraid to go bankrupt of this big problem - I've bet you are! but think of those people who are behind the wheels of your trucks and SUVS and on this cars one day might get stuck in middle of fast highway because of this failure...!!! I really hope somebody can hear us out there. Please do something!!! please!!! other Frontiers, pathfinders, xterras - please write your complaints!!! don't seat and wait when something will happen, or till something happens!!! thank you!!!

- Carmichael, CA, USA

Jul 182013

Frontier 6-cyl

Driving on busy road at approximately 40mph when my truck started to shake, I slowed my truck to approximately 37 mph, when it sounded like my truck exploded. I could not stop and could barely turn the steering wheel enough to get out of traffic just to smash into the curb where I finally came to a stop. The drive shaft came apart, grabbing the emergency brake cable, winding it around one part of the drive shaft, leaving me stranded with minors on the side of the road waiting for a wrecker to tow my truck. Had I have been on the interstate, doing the speed limit (70mph) when this happened, my children and I would have flipped nose over tail, possibly be struck by traffic and seriously injured or killed.

- Buford, GA, USA

Jul 122014

Contacted a mechanic because my truck would shake at speeds at or above 50 mph. It was also starting to shift very hard. The mechanic checked it out and told me that there was a very common problem with the radiator failing and causing coolant and water to get into the transmission... which isnt good at all for it. Radiator and transmission are shot and need to be replaced. He tells me that Nissan has had this problem for some time now which was news to me. You would think Nissan would let owners know about a problem so severe and common. Now I'm on the hook for $4000 thanks to Nissan and it very unprofessionalism.

- Mira Loma, CA, USA

May 202014

Frontier 6-cyl

Radiator coolant failure leaked into transmission causing it to fail...

- Butler, TN, USA

Jan 082014

Frontier 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Frontier. The contact stated while driving 45 mph the transmission failed. The contact mentioned there was no warning lights. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The diagnosis was the faulty radiator contaminated the transmission fluid. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 112,000. Rk updated 8/28/14 updated 09/8/2014

- East Peoria, IL, USA

May 122014

I am yet another victim of the transmission/radiator problem along with hundreds, possibly thousands of other customers. Defective radiator allowed coolant to mix with transmission which is now outrageously expensive to repair.

- Springfield, VA, USA

Apr 132014

Frontier 6-cyl

On my way to work, 4/13/2014, Sunday a.M. sudden loss of power (no forward motion) I had to immediately pull over to the slow lane and stopped. There was no other option on alameda blvd. All lanes on both sides of the blvd. Had to tow to carson Nissan, they inspected the transmission and said it was bad due to the radiator...... I have noticed other complaints and I am wondering if this site is worthwhile I truly hope so, please and thank you.....

- Carson, CA, USA

Mar 292014

Frontier 6-cyl

I bought my 2006 Nissan Frontier in for regular maintenance, during the dealer inspection they noticed a noise coming from the engine. The noise is a whining sound and I thought nothing of the noise until they stated that its the timing chain and that it needs to be replaced. From the research I did the timing chain is supposed to be a non-serviceable item and should last the entire life of the vehicle. Upon further investigation I found that this was a known defect that Nissan motor Corp is aware of. Nissan motor Corp had issued tsb's for this item and they have even been part of a class action lawsuit. Why were Nissan owners not made aware of this issue? now I am faced with a $1,500 repair decision. From what I have also read if this chain breaks it can have serious safety issues for the driver, why has Nissan not set up a recall for this issue.

- Naugatuck, CT, USA

Mar 212014

Frontier 6-cyl

We bought this Nissan new in 2006 -great little truck. But recently the engine would stall and all the lights on the dash came on. Took it to our mechanic he said it was a tran code took it to the Nissan dealership and they said the coolant had gotten into the trans or vise versa (a lot to take in),so I needed a new transmission and radiator. I found this issue on your website for a recall but my vehicle was within the years of the recall but it has over 100,000 it has130 so the dealership said there was nothing they could do to help with the $5500 bill they just quoted me. Is there any help out there for me on this issue"?" please.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Mar 072014

Frontier 6-cyl

Radiator coolant leaked into the transmission, destroying the transmission. Transmission needed to be replaced, costing over $4500.

- Pleasant Hill, CA, USA

Mar 092014

Cross contamination of the engine coolant and transmission fluid causing a transmission failure.

- Wellsville, PA, USA

Sep 112013

Driving 2006 Nissan Frontier truck on hill at stop sign went to go and trans did not pull. Rolled back into a tree. Found out about defective radiator but no recall"??" useless class action law suite $5500 to fix.

- Rock Hill, SC, USA