2.7

2003 Nissan Murano electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Nissan Murano:

2003 Nissan Murano Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Dec 142011

Murano 6-cyl

NHTSA recall campaign 03V455000: Camshaft position sensor failed; called Nissan and was told my VIN is not included in the list of recalled vehicles, even though symptoms are the same.

- Hoffman Estates, IL, USA

Oct 032011

Murano 6-cyl

Driving 60 mph when vehicle suddenly stopped running. Brake and engine lights came on. Was unable to get off roadway and other vehicle had to turn sharply to avoid hitting me. This was the first incident. Have had two incidents since.

- Franklin, KY, USA

Sep 152011

Murano 6-cyl

Second owner, purchased with 63000 miles. First occurrence was driving on the highway a short distance (45min) started to notice the speed pulsing on flat stretches of road with the cruise control being set at 60 mph. I would manually take over the gas pedal just to have to constantly give it more gas then less gas to maintain 60 on flat ground. To the point of nailing it to maintain 60 then out of no where it would start to go accelerate suddenly up and I would let off the gas to stay @ 60mph and hold the pedal there for about 20 secs just to lose power on flat ground again and would just repeat over and over. When I got off the exit ramp it was sputtering really bad and had a hard time just getting it home w/O hurting myself or others. Next day nothing. Then over time (1 month) it happened 4 other times but is seeming to get worse. Then today I stopped in town at a red light. When it came time to go the care jus sat there and the RPM gauge moved up but the car didn't move forward. I immediately put on hazards, put car in park, shut it off, then restarted it to luckily be able to pull off. Went on highway home going 60mph and the surging back and forth with power to weakness to sudden power was the worst its ever been. Car isn't under warranty due to being 2nd owner but come on Nissan really? I'm a student/new father and the $ is crunched like most families now in this economy. I bought a Nissan B/C its reputation of quality and endurance/resilience. I would be sick if this injured my baby B/C this car wasn't in the "original recall range". it is very dangerous and could lead to both my tires locking up on the highway going 60 or even faster leaving not only us in jeopardy but everyone around me on the road also.

- Cleveland, TN, USA

Jul 052011

Murano

The contact owns a 2003 Nissan Murano. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, she attempted to accelerate further, but the vehicle lost power and stalled. The anti-lock brake and battery lights also began to illuminate on the instrument panel. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostics. The battery was replaced, but the failure continued and reccurred intermittently at different speeds on three occasions. After the final failure, the vehicle was towed home. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 124,000. The VIN was not available.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jun 022011

Murano

While driving on the toll road in houston, my vehicle lost speed and power going up an overpass, and luckily I was able to pull off to the shoulder before complete loss of power. The check engine light came on prior to this event. I was able to crank the engine but it would not start. My passenger needed medical assistance due to the heat (100 degrees), and my vehicle had to be towed to the Nissan dealer. This dealer indicated a dtcode P0340, cam sensor and crank sensor failure, and repairs totaled $765.93. Researching this failure, I learned that there was an earlier recall of my exact vehicle for this failure, but my VIN was not included in the recall. After searching the internet, I discovered many, many other owners of 2003 Muranos with VIN numbers outside of the recall are experiencing the exact same problem as the recall. Here's a link to just one of several sites: www.thehappyrock.com/2007/11/15/have-your-car-fixed-for-free-auto-recalls-and-my-2003-Nissan-Murano/ calls to Nissan usa, requesting they consider a recall of my vehicle, were denied. I am requesting via this complaint that the recall of 2003 Muranos be expanded to include all vehicles with the failure code(s) relating to the cam sensor/crank sensor. The problem is a faulty weld, and although Nissan denies a relationship between their earlier production failures and my auto's failure, there is a definite problem with their weld. I feel fortunate that I did not have my children in the car, and that I was able to steer to the side of the road on the tollroad before stalling. With the average tollroad speed well over 70 mph, my safety and the safety of my passenger was in question due to the location of the breakdown. I hope this never happens to anyone with young children or elderly passengers in the vehicle.

- The Woodlands, TX, USA

Jun 212011

Murano 6-cyl

Front door locks working intermittently when using the remote..

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jun 132011

Murano 6-cyl

Alternator failure 2003 Nissan Murano almost cause a accident.

- Austin, TX, USA

Murano

The passenger side door lock is not locking or unlocking completely when using the remote or key. It appears to be locked, but the door can be opened from outside the car and visa versa. Starting in May 2011, the driver's side door lock is doing the same thing. I'm also unable to enter the vehicle through neither of the front doors and have to enter through the back doors to unlock the front doors manually from the inside. This is a safety issue as I or a passenger can get locked out of the car or think the door is locked while in the car and someone from the outside could gain access. In case of emergency, I may or may not be able to get into or out of the car. Starting in November 2010 while raising the window on the passenger side with the power window button, it automatically lowers on it's own on occasion. It stops when half open. To keep it closed, I have to inch it up slowly. Again this is a safety issue. The lock to the gas cap failed to open around 40,000 miles.

Dec 282010

Murano

Murnao has been maintained wth all oil changes/schd mx done by the book. Couple of days ago I was sitting in line at a drive thru and the car abruptly died. There were no warning lights prior to the event. The service engine soon light came on then went back off after a restart. Then yesterday it died while slowing to a stop sign at aprox 15 mph. This time the service light stayed on after the restart. Again this morning it died, this time in traffic while traveling at aprox 50 mph. Parked the Murano and borrowed a friends car for the rest of the day. Did my homework online and noticed the recall for this engine stall. Got the engine codes from a local shop and suprise; camshaft position/crank position sensors. Of course when I called Nissan my VIN is not affected by the recall 03V455000. Contacted local Nissan dealer, est repair costs $600+. Nissan is not holding up its end of thier deal on this vehicle. Please take note, do not buy Nissan.

- Benton, LA, USA

Dec 142010

Murano 6-cyl

We purchased a new 2003 Nissan Murano when they first came out. Over time we noticed that the car would stall almost all the time after we first started it in the morning. We did not think much about this and just dealt with it after taking it to our Nissan dealer who could not tell us what was wrong. This was a few years ago. Three days ago my wife was driving home from work and the car just died while she was driving and the service engine light came on. Immediatley the next morning we took the car to our local car repair shop in purcellville, va to have the car looked at. I did not fee comfortable taking the car to our nearest Nissan dealer 30 miles away given what just happened. The repair shop called and said our car had a voluntary recall for camshaft position sensors and they was causing the problem. They printed out the recall and told me to call Nissan to have them fix the problem instead of having to pay my local repair shop. I called our Nissan dealership and reporting my problem and they told me the VIN of my car was not part of the voluntary recall. I said if I have the problem and it has been verified why would you not fix it-- its not safe! long story short - I took the car to a Nissan dealership and they also confirmed that my car has the problem but that Nissan will not fix. I find this horrible and need your help.

- Purcellville, VA, USA

Nov 152010

Murano 6-cyl

2003 Nissan Murano camshaft sensor failed, causing vehicle to stall in traffic on freeway. Occurs regularly when vehicle has been in traffic. Sometimes vehicle stalls and catches itself; other times, it stalls and has power failure. Vehicle taken to Nissan Murano dealer (santa monica) and told that 2003 recall for exact problem does not apply to AWD models. Asking $600 for repairs.

- Marina Del Rey, CA, USA

Oct 092010

Murano

I own a 2003 Nissan Murano. I bought the vehicle several months ago.. last night we were driving on a very curvy mountain road when a car came into sight. When we switched to dim, the lights went out completely. This put us in total darkness. It took a minute to adjust our eyes and realize what happened. This has happened on several occasions. The dimmer switch is on the steering wheel. The switch to turn them off is on the end of the dimmer handle. We keep our runner lights on each time we are driving the car. Some how when you go to switch the lights the knob turns to off, which makes them go out, when you switch from bright to dim and from dim to bright. This is a very scary situation to be in. I wonder if other folks have had a similar problem. We were very fortunate that we did not crash.

- Adairsville, GA, USA

Jul 162010

Murano

Total and sudden loss of power while at 65-70 mph on a crowded freeway. Thanks to a trucker in a lane to my right running interference, I was able to coast to the shoulder, where we sat in 102 degree heat until we could get help.

- Roseville, CA, USA

May 102010

Murano

I have a 2003 Nissan Murano. About 1 week ago the check engine light came on. The car doesn't start right away and also stalls during operation. I took the car to the Nissan dealer and was told the camshaft position sensor has to be replaced.

- Camden, NJ, USA

May 012007

Murano

2003 Nissan Murano sl AWD is having a problem with acceleration from the start. It hesitated to speed up, my foot it all the way to the floor. After a while the car would launch. If I turn my engine off (while moving) and restart symptom will go away. Sometime it comes and need to restart during rush hour traffic. Constant worries during rush hours.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Jun 102009

Murano

Alternator seized up, engine lost power, and vehicle stopped in middle of road. Alternator was the Nissan replaced for a recall in 2005. My mechanic said that the bad alternator was a re-conditioned alternator that Nissan had installed as part of the recall.

- Carmel, IN, USA

Feb 232009

Murano 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Nissan Murano. While driving approximately 40 to 50 mph, the vehicle shut off without warning. The check engine indicator illuminated after the failure occurred. The vehicle shut off a total of four times, but was able to be restarted. The contact took the vehicle to the repair shop for a diagnosis and the camshaft position sensor was initially determined to be the cause of the failure. The mechanic then stated that if the camshaft position sensor was replaced, it would not correct the failure. The contact was informed that the real issue was with the computer and electrical system in the vehicle. He was advised to take the vehicle to the dealer for a diagnosis. The manufacturer stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign id number 03V455000 (engine and engine cooling). The contact will take the vehicle to the dealer to be diagnosed. The current and failure mileages were 41,000. Updated 3/27/09 updated 04/01/09.(jb

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

May 152008

Murano

When in traffic under appx 10 mph, you accelerate and it does nothing, then suddenly takes off. You don't know when it is going to happen. It is very random and once it starts doing it, it keeps doing it until you stop the engine and restart the car. I have to pull out on a busy street in the afternoon, and have almost been hit. I have taken it to two Nissan dealerships and all they do is say it is a vacuum line. They said I needed new motor mounts to keep the engine stable so that they won't get loose. I had them replaced and it did not fix the problem. The problem does not throw an error code, so no one, including a very reputable auto repair garage, can fix it. We have even started guessing what the problem might be, ie, fuel injectors - had them cleaned - no change. I have now spent almost $3K and I still have the same problem. Nissan tells me that there is a recall, but not for my serial number. I have been dealing with this since about May.

- Gunter, TX, USA