2004 Nissan Murano drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Murano:

2004 Nissan Murano Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Mar 142012

Murano

I have a 2004 Nissan Murano with only 63000 miles. I encountered a lack or decrease of power while driving at constant speed of 55mph. The engine was still on but the engine won't respond if I press on the pedal. And I had to slowly maneuver the vehicle to the shoulder while decelerating. Fortunately I had a chance to park the vehicle to the side of the road. I turned of the car and waited a minute and the car started back again but I notice a humming sound coming from the transmission especially when you let go of the gas pedal while driving. And I would say a 10 to 15% decrease of engine power when you try to accelerate compared before this incident happened. I hope this situation be fixed by Nissan before somebody gets hurt. Thank you for your time to listen to our concern. God bless.

- Clinton, MD, USA

Mar 132012

Murano 6-cyl

When started a loud whine is heard and increases with engine speed. Upon initially accelerating after starting the vehicle will slow down to a crawl and not speed up even with pedal to the floor. Suddenly it will accelerate without warning while the whine changes in pitch. Then when you stop at a light it will not accelerate when the light turns green nearly causing people to run into the back of me. I almost didn't make it thought the light before it turned red. If you do get it going it will lose power without warning. This is an extremely dangerous situation to drive in. This behavior started after having the fluid changed at the dealership. I had the vehicle towed in and was told by the dealer that the belt was bad and the transmission needed to be replaced at a cost of $4268.55. It is obvious by Nissan doubling the factory warranty on these cvt's that they knew of a defect but chose not to issue a recall. It makes no sense to have to replace an entire transmission because of a part failure inside. This is a very poor design if it can not be repaired.

- Gastonia, NC, USA

Feb 102012

Murano

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Murano. The contact stated that while attempting a right turn at 5 mph, there was a loud explosion and the transfer case failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was confirmed that the transfer case had failed. The failure and the current mileage was 76,144.

- Hutchinson, KS, USA

Jan 032012

Murano 6-cyl

Complete transfer case failure with no warning whatsoever. Mechanic advised damage may be due to operating the AWD feature on dry pavement which did not and has not occurred. Nissan has extended the warranty on the cvt transmission to 10 years/120,000 miles but it's not clear whether this includes the transfer case. Adding to this doubt, when I google this problem it seems hundreds of Murano owners have been having the exact same dilemma with their vehicles of similar age/mileage. I contacted Nissan North America this morning but their computers were down and they were unable to help me at that time. Even so, the transfer case should not fail so catastrophically on a vehicle of this age/mileage that has been regularly maintained and driven gently. Obviously this is a fairly major component to just fail without warning. I'm just wondering how many people will need to report this before Nissan will recognize and resolve this serious safety problem.

- Cockeysville, MD, USA

Jun 162010

Murano 6-cyl

The differential/cvt transfer case is defective. Which requires you to have to replace the AWD system at a cost of $4-6000. It also cause the car to have steering problems as well. This issue also causes the vehicle to burn a significant amount of fuel which require premium gas.I have read numerous complaints on the web about the same problems other people are having. This causes unnecessary financial hardship as most people are still paying a car loan on this vehicle.

- Avon, MA, USA

Aug 252011

Murano 6-cyl

Vehicle will not accelerate when pushing gas pedal. This has happened multiple times but it occurs randomly. This is a dangerous, well-reported and well-known problem about which multitudes of Nissan owners have complained and blogged. Apparently, Nissan corrected the problem in 2005. They will back up the transmission up to 10 years/120,000 miles but only if it fails completely. Otherwise, as in my case, they will not pay for repairing transmission parts, although the cost is in the thousands of dollars.

- Villanova, PA, USA

Nov 012011

• 1,040,000 miles

My 2004 Nissan Murano has been leaking transmission fluid due to a leak in the transfer housing case and is putting out an error code P0868. It now speeds up - slows down - rev's up over 5,000 rpms while not having any power to pull. I have spoken to Nissan reps at 3 different dealerships and told them I smell smoke/burning oil coming from the engine. None of them would acknowledge anything. I recently took it to the 4th dealership and decided to spend the $75 to have it inspected and they agreed that it was leaking and has no pressure and told me that it was a design flaw but they couldn't do anything about it. The service manager took me over and showed me a brand new 2011 that had the same issue and they were putting in a new transmission due to the same issue. Unfortunately my warranty has now run out and they want over $7000 to replace the transmission - but they won't fix the leak unless I replace the transmission as they say they don't want me to come back upset. Well I'm upset because I've read over 100+ post with the same exact problem and I just know this thing is gonna lock up or speed up right in the middle of traffic and it should be Nissan's responsibility to admit this is a major problem with the design of the '03 and '04 transmission/transfer case and step up and fix the issue.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jun 122011

Transfer case fail.

- Katonah, NY, USA

Murano

Traveling on the interstate and in the process of passing a car in passing gear the power of the car stopped. We slowed down and afterthat everytime we would give it gas it would power down again. We took it to a Nissan dealer service center, they said it was an electronic throtle. They replaced that then in less than 30 days it did the exact same thing, took it back to Nissan they said it was the transmission, they replaced the valve covers, then in February on the way to Texas it did it again only this time it was much worse, it would power down and you could creeep to the edge on the highway. Very dangerous in that the power stops as you are driving in high traffic areas at the speed of 60-65. We left it at a Nissan dealership in grapevine Texas, they had it for a month and guaranteed that they found the problem, they said it was a flow valve. On the way back from Texas, (13 hour) drive it did the exact same thing and we had to have it towed to sante fe, nm. We have spent $3,000 at this point. Now I have contacted corporate Nissan, they have told us to go get the car they cannot find anything wrong. However Nissan knows that the transmissions are bad on these cars for they have extended the transmission warranty to 120,000. They refuse to replace the transmission saying that the computer will not justify the problem. Do we have to wait until we are in a car wreck because of this problem for anyone to do anythng? somone needs to make Nissan take responsibility for this! I have had my Murano in the shop for over 50 days total. We are told that now Nissan is sending a tech, that was last week, he still has not arrived. We are wanting to warn people who won Nissan to be aware.

Oct 122010

Murano

Murano stopped during traffic while child and wife in car - determined was transfer case causing loud banging.

- Toronto, 00, USA

Aug 252010

Murano

I have a 2004 Nissan Murano that has been exhibiting acceleration problems for about 2 years. When I press on the gas pedal the rpms increase but the car does not move, then after two to five seconds the car picks up speed rapidly. This problem is most noticeable in hot weather and when I am in stop-and-go traffic. Yesterday while driving I heard a loud clunk, the car decelerated quickly and resisted accelerating...I had to drive home at 15 mph and had the car towed to a garage this morning.

- Salt Lake City , UT, USA

Mar 182010

Murano

1. design flaw 2. defective transfer case. This is the third time it has occurred in a two year period. 3. the first two times, Nissan replaced the defective part. I am still waiting for them to tell me what they will do as Nissan contends this is part is not included in their cvt transmission 120000 mile warranty, even though the part hooks into the transmission. This part transfers power from the transmission to the all wheel drive components. The vehicle is a 2004 Murano.

- Brier, WA, USA

Feb 212010

Murano

Failure to navigate a hill.

- Napa, CA, USA

Apr 122009

Murano 6-cyl

Nissan recall for 2004 Murano air intake system. The consumer's children were driving the vehicle. When they pulled out of a busy parking lot, the vehicle would not accelerate properly. The vehicle was towed to the closest dealership and the next day, the consumer was informed the transmission had failed and a new one would cost $6,000. Also the door latches and hatch were inoperative. The consumer believed the failure was the result of the recall.

- Chelsea, MI, USA

Aug 102009

Murano

Originally filed under 10284376. The replaced transfer case has now went out again. Nissan is stating they will not warranty the transfer case unless I install and upgraded switch that is located on the console. This seems to be a design defect and a way for Nissan to correct the problem at the consumers expense. The company needs to be responsible for their products.

- Kaukauna, WI, USA

Jul 172009

Murano

I own a well maintained 2004 Nissan Murano sl AWD. The transfer case spontaneously broke without any warning. Once the event occurred, I immediately lost the ability to accelerate on a very busy stretch of road. The are also, almost immediately, went from about 40mph to 15mph while I was trying to accelerate. There was traffic behind me moving at 40mph, and this unintentional deceleration occurred without any brake light warning to the driver behind me. This could have caused a fatal collision. Thankfully it did not, and I was able to put my hazard lights on and roll to a stop on the shoulder lane. I had the car brought to the nearest dealership for prompt repair. I paid $3500 for a new transfer case to be placed. The day I drove the vehicle home, I noticed an oil burning smell, which was later found to be a transfer case leak. This was a leak from the new transfer case. My car is currently being re-repaired as we speak. This is almost 2 weeks now that I have been without my car. I have noticed that this is an ongoing problem with the Nissan Murano particularly in the 2003-04 year vehicles. My vehicle is out of the 5 year/ 60000 mile drivetrain warranty, and therefore I had to bear the financial burden of this apparently defective component.

- Syracuse, NY, USA

Jul 242009

Murano

2004 Nissan Murano with just 70,000 dies after putting the car into drive or reverse. The car worked fine then when I got back in it to go home it started fine and then when you put it into gear it kills the engine. Took it to the dealer and they got no codes and there are no warning lights. They are saying that the transmission has to be replaced for $5500.

- Nancy, KY, USA

Apr 202009

Murano

While driving the car to a family function (20 miles, mixed highway and local) heard a slight noise followed by a sound like a tire going flat. Slowed to check tires, when noise stopped. Continued to destination without another occurrence. Car sat for approximately 2 hours, then we returned home, again mixed highway and local roads. No noises or indicator lights on dashboard. Upon exiting highway, heard a very loud bang from the front end, similar to driving through a deep pothole. There were no potholes on the highway ramp. Limped to home (approximately 1 mile from end of ramp), car was smoking and there was some noise from front end, but it could still be driven. Upon arriving home, saw that the car was leaking clear fluid from the front center-right of the vehicle. Had car flat bedded to local service shop for diagnosis and repair. Local service shop could not repair. Flat bedded to Nissan dealer. Nissan indicated that the front differential had failed, and Nissan is the only source for this part. Car has been driven 70,000 miles. Drive train warranty 60,000. Cost of repair $3,800. Car has been regularly maintained. Car has only been driven on highways and local roads. It is absolutely ridiculous for a major drive train component to fail catastrophically on a vehicle that is driven gently and well cared for.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA