2008 Nissan Rogue drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Nissan Rogue:

2008 Nissan Rogue Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Oct 262012

Rogue 6-cyl

I noticed a whinning sound coming from my vehicle. I took it to a mechanic who then reported it was the transmission. I then took my car to a Nissan dealership and they confirmed that it was the cvt transmission (carrier bearing area). I was not aware that there had been issues with the cvt transmissions in Nissan. Nissan had extended the warranty however due to me the consumer not being made aware of the issue that Nissan was having, I didn't know that I should be on the look to see if my car was having issues until I heard the whinning sound. I drive a lot for work, therefore my car has 123,233 miles on it but is very well taken care of and is only 5 years old and has no other issues. I am currently battling with Nissan to have them fix their defective product (cvt transmission). Nissan should be made to correct these defects in their products regardless. Nissan knows of the issue, but from the research I've been doing online they are not taking responsibility for the defective products. Americans should not spend their hard earned money on products that are defective and then companies bailing out. Companies need to take responsibility!

- Rock Hill, SC, USA

Jun 012010

Rogue

I own a 2008 Nissan Rogue that has had ongoing problems with the cvt. When I first experienced the problem, Nissan did not even know/acknowledge there was an issue. When traveling during the summer on the highway at high speeds (70-80 mph) I would randomly lose power to the vehicle. For instance, if I was driving with the cruise control on, it would shut off and gradually start to decelerate. Stepping on the gas did nothing. In some cases, I would be driving down the highway only able to go about 25 mph. Additionally, when coming to a complete stop, for example when exiting the highway and waiting at a light, the car is very slow to respond to start moving again. After taking my car to three different dealerships, Nissan finally began to acknowledge there was an system issue (not after making me spend $400+ for a transmission flush). They said that the combination of elevation, heat and high speeds was causing the transmission to overheat and go into "fail safe" mode. Finally last summer (July 2012) Nissan replaced the transmission in the vehicle. Now, one year later and only 20,000 miles on the new transmission, I am having the same issues. Most bothersome, however was the last few times this has happened, it was not hot and I was not driving in the mountains. After 30 minutes of driving about 82 mph with 65 degree weather, I lost all power to the vehicle. I had to merge with traffic that was moving at least 70 mph and I was only able to move at 40 mph. Nissan has said that they are aware of the continued issue, but because the cvt is technically performing as it should, they will not cover it under warranty. They said they are developing a coolant, but is this a real solution? bottom line, this is not a safe, reliable vehicle. Every time I get in my car, I wonder if I will be able to get where I need to go in a timely and safe fashion.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Aug 242013

Rogue

The transmission (cvt) is junk. It is a safety hazard. I can not accelerate after coming to a stop or a rolling stop, or when going uphill. I have 3 children & we are lucky we have not been rear ended or tboned yet! the service dept at the dealership wants to change the transmission fluid, spark plugs, and clean the throttle body at a charge! this car only has 38000 miles! I have explained it until I am blue in the face. They test drove it & it did the same thing on them. I researched the issue & realized it is very common. They have extended the warranty to 120,000 or 10 years. I just want the cvt fixed before we are involved in an accident!

- Ellenboro, WV, USA

Aug 112012

Rogue

My Nissan Rogue has been to the dealership 3 times (tomorrow makes 3) to have the transmission replaced. The transmission went out in August 2012, April 2013 and now again July 2013. I was told the Nissan dealership that this is a known issue with the crt transmission. My car gets up to about 70 miles per hour and then I'm literally push the gas pedal to the floor and my car won't go over 40-50 miles per hour. Now my car is lunging forward when it's at a complete stop. I asked Nissan what would happen if the transmission goes out again after repairs tomorrow and I was told they will just keep repairing it until my warranty is up and then unfortunately I'd be on my own.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Jun 102013

Rogue

On 2 occasions in a week period of time after driving on the highway for about an hour I exited the highway via an exit ramp and stopped at the stop light. When the light turned green, my car would not accelerate even though the car was still in drive and the gas pedal was pressed down. Both times I scooted about 1mph over to the shoulder, placed the car in park then back in drive and it accelerated normally. I brought the car to the dealer, they are replacing the transmission control module at no cost, it is still covered under the Nissan extended warranty for the cvt. This issue frightened me and made me feel unsafe in the vehicle. I worry had I needed to stop on the highway and then accelerate and was unable to that I would have been hit. I feel Nissan should look further into the cvt issues and perhaps issue recalls as these types of issues make the car unsafe. In my instance the car felt as if it were stuck in park or neutral, it would not shift into drive. I have read online several other complaints concerning cvt issues.

- St Peters, MO, USA

Jun 082013

Rogue 4-cyl

The cvt transmission in the 2008 Nissan Rogue is very dangerous. The car loses acceleration after traveling a distance (over 40 miles) and when it comes to a stop, it will not take off. Saturday, June 8, 2013 I drove from college station, tx to houston, tx (85 miles). When I came a stop sign after exiting the freeway, I stopped and then attempted a right turn into oncoming traffic. Once I depressed the gas, the car rolled into the intersection and stalled with traffic barreling toward me. Cars had to swerve to avoid hitting me. This car has always had acceleration and deceleration problems since I bought it and no warning lights ever come on. The first time the car broke down was on the first road trip I took in the car. In 2012 as I was driving to atlanta, Georgia and the car broke completely down in birmingham, Alabama. I had to get a loaner from the local dealership in birmingham to complete my trip. The cvt transmission is a very, very dangerous technology and it should be recalled and a class action suit should be initiated against Nissan. Nissan has extended the warranty from 60000 to 120000 in all cvt transmission vehicles. Why would they do this if they do not think there is a problem.

- College Station, Tx , TX, USA

Mar 112013

Rogue

I was turning from a residential street onto a main road, when I went to accelerate the car red lined, but did not accelerate. I was only able to go 5-10 miles an hour. I managed to pull over without getting hit and had to get the car towed to the dealership. The transmission was replaced and I was told this had happened numerous times with the cvt in the Rogue.

- Providence, RI, USA

May 252012

Rogue 4-cyl

While me and my child were traveling uphill on a busy freeway, I noticed the car was decelerating. No matter how hard I pressed on the pedal to increase the speed, the car continued to slow down. Many cars behind us had to swerve from hitting us and honked for us to move out of their way. Unfortunately, it was beyond my control and the car would not move. A couple of guys had to move our vehicle out of harms way. It was very stressful and dangerous. I'm so glad we were not hit by another vehicle. I ended up replacing that transmission with a used low mileage transmission which worked for a while. It is going on a year and I've been told the cvt transmission is slipping again. I've already spent thousands on this part alone. Is there anything anyone can do about this faulty product. I can't afford to spend any more money on another faulty cvt transmission that will go bad again.

- Cedar Hill, TX, USA

Jul 022012

Rogue 4-cyl

Problem in July 2012- at a stop light, went to accelerate, and nothing, , kept pushing gas pedal, , took out of drive and put back in, finally went., kept doing this at unexpected times. No service light went on. Took to dealership, $600, later, they said it was my acceleration cable, and replaced it.. stated transmission had nothing to do with it.. still not running well, still makes whining noise - March 2013 started doing same thing with acceleration., almost got killed taking a left hand turn and no acceleration. Making high pitch noise @ 50-60 miles.took to dealership -said it was my transmission fluid, it was overfilled and bad color". $ 200 to change fluid, still not agreeing to change out transmission. I looked on line, a ton of complaints on same issues.. all resulting in the cvt- how do I get the dealership to fix problem"

- Arizona City, AZ, USA

Mar 012010

Rogue

The car would lose acceleration when driving and also when starting to go from being stopped. First time it happened was driving around 60 mph on highway and the gas pedal was fully to the floor and the car would not increase in speed. The car lost speed and decreased down to 45 mph. When getting off the highway at the end of the exit the car would not move when pressing on the gas. 5 seconds later the car thrusted into the middle of the road as power kicked back in. After several phone calls to Nissan and trips to the dealership they replaced the transmission at around 60,000 miles. Care was good for about 8 months but started having same issue. Have had the car to the dealership 10 - 12 times with same issue and to this day it has not been fixed. They usually state they can not replicate the issue. Test drove the car with their top mechanic and got the acceleration issue to happen. They mechanic said Nissan is well aware of the issue and he drained fluids saying the level was to high. 6 months later same issues again. Trip after trip to the dealership they say they can't replicate the issue and send us on our way. Last time 3 other customers were at the dealership with same issue. There needs to be a recall.

- Hamburg, NJ, USA

Dec 032012

Rogue 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Nissan Rogue. The contact stated that the gear shifter became stuck in park. When the failure first occurred, the gear shifter was found to be abnormally loose and the contact could shake the shifter back and forth and dislodged. The dealer and the contact were informed that the gear shifter and the shift lock solenoid needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 73,000 and the current mileage was 74,000. Updated 06/18/13 the contact stated the dealer provided the contact with a small screwdiriver to put in the slot to push down and release the shifter. When the vehicle was in park it would take extra time to dislodge. Updated 06/24/2013

- Lake View, AL, USA

Oct 222012

Rogue

The contact owns a 2008 Nissan Rogue. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, she heard an abnormal whining noise. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis and the contact was informed that the transmission would need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified and offered to cover one month of her vehicle payments. In addition, the contact stated that she could hear a popping noise in the steering wheel and the air pressure warning light would illuminate randomly. The failure and current mileage was 69,000.

- Rosharon, TX, USA

Jul 182012

Rogue 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Nissan Rogue. The contact stated that while driving 72 mph as she attempted to accelerate, the vehicle became unresponsive and would not gain any speed. The failure recurred a few hours later. The vehicle was taken to a transmission mechanic who advised that there were no failures found within the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 76,000. The VIN was unavailable. Updated 11/13/12 updated 11/27/2012

- Walcott, IA, USA

Aug 172011

Rogue

The contact owns a 2008 Nissan Rogue. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the transmission failed and the vehicle began to decelerate independently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired and the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who filed a report and did not offer any further assistance. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Jul 132012

Rogue

The contact owns a 2008 Nissan Rogue. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the brakes failed without any warning light illumination. The contact had to pull the emergency brake to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis and the contact was informed that the transmission, fuel gauge, and master cylinder all needed to be repaired. The contact was also informed of an electrical failure with the air bags. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified, but offered no assistance. The failure and current mileages were 33,000.

- Inverness, FL, USA

Sep 242010

Rogue 4-cyl

This involves a Nissan Rogue S 2008 we purchased new from the dealer. At approximately 55,000 miles while on a trip to destin, fl our cvt transmission began to malfunction on the highway. It caused car to lose speed, no longer pull, idle erratically, and not be able to get up to speeds over 55 miles an hour. It would also not pull off from stops but rather just coast out into the middle of an intersection, leaving the driver without control of the vehicle to get out of the way of oncoming traffic. We were instructed by the Nissan dealership to limp the car back to atlanta so they could replace the cvt transmission and stated they knew it was a known problem with those particular cvt's. once we got the car back, Nissan explained that they had installed a newer model of cvt in our car and that it would not happen again. Now, June 23, 2012, our car is back at the dealer with the same issue. The car now has 102,00 miles. This time we are on our way to chattanooga, Tennessee when the cvt begins to act up. Symptoms included loss of power, loss of speed and idle leaving us unable to switch lanes and get off highway due to lack of pull and power. The cars idle or RPM begins to jump erratically and redlining causing the car to lunge forward uncontrollably and then lose power back and forth. Now imagine this all while your wife and three daughters (ages 9, 4, and 9 months) are in the back seat. Virtually having no control over the car while other vehicles speed by at 70 mph trying to avoid smashing you to pieces. This time there is no limping it back to the dealership. Barely able to make it off the highway, the cvt is severely damaged and inoperable. Cvt fluid is draining rapidly out of several different locations. As well, the entire body of the car is coated in trans fluid and smoke billowing out of the hood due to the fluid coating the engine too.

- Dallas, GA, USA

Jun 112012

Rogue 4-cyl

Several times in the past few months, Rogue will not accelerate when trying to go from stopped position. No power to go uphill or pull into traffic. This does not happen all the time, only occasionally, but is happening more often. Yesterday, car did this while traveling at speed of 55+ mph. This was the first time it slowed while already at high speed. My daughter drives this vehicel and we are parking it for now as there have been several incidences where she has almost been hit by oncoming cars.

- Ennis, TX, USA

May 012012

Rogue

We were completely stopped at a stop sign waiting to pull out into traffic. There were cars coming but at a safe enough distance so we accelerated, got into the roadway and the car wouldn't move. We had the gas pedal all the way to the floor and the car wouldn't move. Since then we have had multiple incidents of this where the transmission freezes and we are stuck in oncoming traffic. It's only a matter of time before someone hits us. Since I have read of multiple problems exactly like this with this vehicle. Why hadn't there been a recall.

- Chapel Hill, TN, USA

May 232011

Rogue

The contact owns a 2008 Nissan Rogue. The contact stated that the vehicle would stall when the attempting to accelerate. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer for a diagnostic test. The test results determined that the transmission was faulty. The dealer replaced the transmission. A year later, the failure begin to recur. The contact did not take the vehicle to the dealer again. The failure mileage was 98,000.

- Laurel, MD, USA

Apr 302012

Rogue 4-cyl

Stopped at a stop sign. Pushed the accelerator but the car would not accelerate. Continued down the road and could not go above 40 mph on the highway. Stopped the car at the side of the road, turned off the car. Thought maybe just a hiccup and would return to normal. Started it up and began to drive and still was unable to accelerate above 40 mph on the highway. Called the shop and let them know I was on my way. On the way to the shop the car ran fine, going normal speed. The dealer was unable to find any record in the computer of the problem and so far has been unable to diagnose the problem.

- Pinon Hills, CA, USA