2004 Nissan Titan drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Titan:

2004 Nissan Titan Owner Comments (Page 2 of 9)

Aug 232013

Had rear fixed at dealer and it broke again. Now the truck has sat since the date of failure, meanwhile im paying on it still. Called Nissan Corp. They said (they were aware of the problems but they were not going to fix it). Not a very respectable Corp..

- Saranac, NY, USA

May 252014

Titan 8-cyl

My rear end on my Titan began grinding when turning. After researching this, I found hundreds of people with the same problem. This is a defect on the first models of the Titan and Nissan will not report a recall on them. If these rear ends lock up when the vehicle is being driven on the highway or while towing a trailer, people's lives could be lost. The consumer should not be responsible for a design flaw that has affected such a vast population of Titan owners. Furthermore, Nissan only offers a full rear end replacement at the low price of $2,500. Something has to be done about these problems! a recall must be issued before more lives are put into jeopardy.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 272011

Titan 8-cyl

I was accelerating from a stop on to the highway and felt/heard a "clunk" in the rear of the truck. Every time I turned I heard/felt a "clunk". it would even do it every so often at highway speed. The rear differential went out in the truck. I had to replace it.

- Dawson Springs, KY, USA

Dec 092013

Driving the truck on snow covered road, four wheel drive system failed to work. Only rear tires were driving, causing unsafe condition on a road that required four wheel drive. Investigation found the front differential failed, which is a common problem with Nissan four wheel drive vehicles of this vintage. Nissan has refused to fix the problem, citing 'out of warranty'.

- Afton, NY, USA

Jan 052014

Titan 8-cyl

I recently purchased this truck. I have driven it approximately 1300 miles since I purchased it. The drivers side front axle clip has broken twice in 300 miles. I understand this to be a problem with 100's of owners but there have been no recalls. I am afraid to drive this vehicle.

- Moorhead, MN, USA

Nov 052013

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Titan. The contact stated that while driving approximately 5 mph, the rear differential failed. The contact shifted the vehicle into neutral and the vehicle rolled away in reverse and into the street. The vehicle was then shifted into 4X4 mode in order for the contact to be able to drive the vehicle. The vehicle was later taken to an authorized dealer where it was diagnosed that the rear differential had failed. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The approximate failure was 83,200.

- Norridge, IL, USA

Jul 272013

This is the second time in over several months that my driver side drive axle for my 4X4 has pulled its self out. It was fixed once on my dime and is now going to be fixed on my dime again it is a dangerous failure that could cause my suspension to lock up an rip my wheel off then leading to a serious accident. It needs to be addressed and the NHTSA has done nothing to pursue this. Another problem that Nissan will not cover is the rear axle seals that blow out due to a faulty design which may also lead to a serious accident, they will not address any of these issues under a recall an there are thousands of people that are suffering from these issues from 04-010 for the axle seals and model years 04-08 for the axle shaft pulling out from the 4X4 causing serious damage to internal and external parts. This needs to be addressed an the NHTSA is doing nothing about it.

- Annapolis , MD, USA

Jul 012010

Titan 8-cyl

Rear axle seals on my Nissan 2004 Titan have been replaced 4 times in the last 2 years, I just had them replaced and the new seals are leaking. This is due to a poorly designed axle by Nissan; of course they will not stand behind their poor design. The bulletin put out by the car manufacture is to replace the axle's being both sides in the rear at a cost of thousands should Nissan do the work. I find this very disturbing as do thousands of other 04, 05, 06 model year Titan owners. The real problem is if gone undetected by some, the rear can lose all of its oil causing the rear to lock up! this could and would kill people if the accident were bad enough. The second issue here is and I quote, "C'mon Nissan, stand behind your product and recall what could be a fatal situation here? unquote". as much as I like the Titan, this issue has sickened me to the point that I will shop elsewhere when the time comes. Talk about passing the buck! I have seen the axle removed and rust pits form under the seal causing the leak. It is as though the metal used is from china.

- Spotsylvania, VA, USA

Nov 222012

Titan 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Titan. The contact stated that pieces of the shifter became detached and as a result, the vehicle shifted out of gear while driving various speeds. The contact contacted the dealer and was informed that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number 04V408000 (power train). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 120,000.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Apr 302013

Titan 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Titan. The contacted that while driving 50 mph, he noticed that the exhaust manifold was cracked and exhaust fumes were leaking. The contact was able to drive the vehicle to the dealer for diagnosis where it was advised that the exhaust headers needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 43,000.

- Lake Havasu, AZ, USA

Apr 232013

Titan 8-cyl

Right rear axle seal leaks and if not repaired immediately, fluid leaks onto brake rotor. Has the potential of losing all differential fluid from rear end causing a complete drivetrain failure.

- Coweta, OK, USA

Feb 222013

Titan 4WD 6-cyl

The rear differential has been whining since 63,000 miles and last weekend the whining became howling and then clunking. My mechanic says something inside the differential is broken.

- Savannah, MO, USA

Feb 072013

Titan 8-cyl

Driving about 40 mph, I heard a loud pop coming from the rear end of the truck. Now whenever I decelerate, a whining noise is heard from the differential. Took the truck to the Nissan dealer in irvine, ca and they want to replace the rear differential at a cost of $2500.

- Mission Viejo, CA, USA

Feb 012013

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

I was using my four wheel drive when I noticed a loud clunk and found that my axle had popped out of the front differential. I am among over 1000S of Titan owners with this same issue that Nissan knows about and has caused multiple failures in our trucks. It also caused a failure in mine. The have known about this issue for years now and changed there part in 07 from the original number 38500-8S102 to the new product number 38500-8S11B truck is a Nissan Titan 2004 SE king cab 4WD.

- Queen Anne , MD, USA

Dec 092012

Truck started making loud grinding sound when letting off accelerator and coasting. I was advised by my mechanic to replace the entire rear end with a brand new one from Nissan because they had modified it. Obviously they new it was a problem. $2500 repair. Glad the drive shaft did not lock up on the interstate.

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Dec 142012

Titan 8-cyl

I engaged my front differential (4X4) and proceeded to put drivetrain in reverse and while backing up the passenger side front axle popped out of the differential, I was not pulling anything so I was not under any load whatsoever.

- Utica, OH, USA

Dec 102012

Transmission cooler hose leak caused transmission failure. There was a service bulletin on this, but I never saw it or was made aware of it until it happened and I googled it. The spring clamp fail. This should be a recall because something as simple as replacing the 2 spring clamps with screw clamps would save a ruined transmission. Seams to be a big issue and could cause fatality if failure happens on interstate.

- Manassas, VA, USA

Nov 242012

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Titan. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, he heard a thumping sound followed by grinding noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The mechanic stated that there were metal flakes in the rear differential compartment causing the noise. The mechanic stated the rear differential would have to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Sep 032012

The rear differential went out and this seems to be a very common problem on this make of vehicle. There should be an investigation and recall on this vehicle.

- Jacksonville, AR, USA

Aug 222012

While replacing lifetime warrantied suspension which was not honored by Nissan or tenneco, I found the rear pinion seal to be leaking severely, and rear axle seal leaking in wheel assembly. Possible source of "ticking" noise from differential, which until then I thought were exhaust heat shields. This condition could cause catastrophic drivetrain failure while vehicle is in motion. The fluid leaking from axle seal can reduce effectiveness of braking components. Other owners have described inadequate engineering & possible use of substandard differential materials & components along with axle vent assemblies which could create internal pressure conditions that could cause seals to fail.

- Flint, MI, USA