2004 Nissan Titan drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Titan:

2004 Nissan Titan Owner Comments (Page 4 of 9)

Sep 022011

Titan

The real axle seals in both sides are gone and continuous leaking is inevitable.

- Boaz, AL, USA

Dec 012011

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

Rear diff started with small wine noise in am on way to work - 11.6 miles. Went to lunch - another 6 miles - noise a little louder - not bad - just a little louder. Go home in evening - made it another 6 miles and noise sounded like some one was crashing into the back of the truck as the back end locked up and sent me skidding across the road. Luckily no one was in the lane next me!! failure according to dealer was from the 'vent' tube being clogged and causing it overheat and blow the seals... so, almost a catastrophic accident if was on highway, and now 3500 dollars to fix because of a 5 dollar check valve! this is insane. Google around for the Titan rear diff, and I am not the only one out there!!!!

- West Chicago, IL, USA

Nov 252011

Titan

The seal on the drivers side rear failed, began to leak oil all over the inside of the rim and the brakes. This was within a few miles after having had a dealership press a new bearing onto the axle and occurred within an hour of the vehicle having been picked up from the shop. Dealership admits to having seen an issue with the rear differential and knowing that it would leak but having decided to not inform the customer about the issue.

- Blacksburg, VA, USA

Nov 012011

Titan

I bought a brand new 2004 Nissan Titan from a dealership in Ohio in September of 2004. Had a few other issues about the truck during all this time of ownership but Nissan had issued recalls to take care of those issues and I was pleased with them and their service. I am at present experiencing rear differential problems related to leaking rear seals and faulty components in the entire rear differential assembly. I have read thousands of reported differential problems on the 2004 through 2010 Titans and Nissan North America refuses to take responsibility to eliminate this safety defect and recall all the Titans for new differential replacements at Nissan expense. I hope to god people driving the Titans are not killed because of this obvious problem and defect in workmanship and material. I will never deal with Nissan ever again for anything and everyone I come in contact with for the rest of my life will be told by me how unreliable and honest the Nissan company is I just spent $2900 dollars to replace my differential with a newly engineered and designed differential made by designed by and install on my truck by Nissan employee's. never again!

- Saint Paris , OH, USA

Apr 252011

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

I have now only owned this truck for one year. I am only the second owner. I have had multiple drive train issues now with this truck and it is only currently at 75,000 miles as of 11/20/2011. 04/22/11 turned a corner from a four way stop to hear a light grinding noise that turned to a heavy clunk and tire hop. Took it to a local trusted auto repair tech to find that my E-locker deteriorated and literally grenaded my whole carrier assembly. The only fix according to Nissan is to replace the whole rear differential as in new case fully assembled w/ rotors and all. Local shop did research and said this is a common issue they have a lot and Nissan does not sell individual parts to replace. Local shop had to build whole new custom rear end from seals in w/ a detroit true trac mechanical locker. At the same time shortly after found gear oil in driveway from front pumpkin to find drivers side C-clip broke and axle shaft is not engaging (in other words no dependable 4WD) had that all fixed in 05/2011 and seemed okay never had used the 4WD. Now 11/19/11 went to go find a christmas tree and turned on the 4WD again just in case. Once again a broken C-clip out of nowhere. I have now had two broken C-clips within about 6 months of each other w/O 4WD being used. Bought the truck for $16K and have now put in almost another $4K in front and rear end repairs. Nissan is losing a lot of customers by not owning up to their mistakes and design flaws.

- Medford, OR, USA

Nov 052011

Titan 8-cyl

Right side axle is leaking fluid to rear disk brake. To fix one side is 2200. After searching on Titan forums, discovered this to be a defect with this truck. This is a truck that had synthetic diff oil and never towed, yet has such major failure so soon? this is a serious safety issue.

- La Mirada, CA, USA

Nov 082011

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

Discovered the driver's side rear axle oil seal leaking. Vehicle maintenance has been accomplished in accordance with Nissan maintenance schedules. Discovered Nissan technical service bulletin (tsb)ntb10-032 stating entire axle shaft assembly (axle, new retainer, axle bearing, oil seal, bearing cage, and ABS rotor) be replaced on 2004-2008 models when oil leaks are discovered to correct the problem. The tsb did not elaborate why the entire assembly is to be replaced. It can only be assumed that all parts of the assembly are considered defective and require replacement. I presented the tsb to my Nissan service department and they said they only need to replace the oil seal, axle bearing, and spacer contrary to the prescribed service procedure in the tsb. Within 200 miles of replacement, the new oil seal leaks indicating the cause of the seal failure has not been resolved. Unresolved axle seal leaks will result in axle failure and brake failures when pads are soaked by gear oil leaks.

- Port St Joe, FL, USA

Sep 282011

Titan 8-cyl

The rear axle seals are leaking and has caused my rear brakes to slip due to the differential oil getting on my brake pads and rotors. This is my second encounter of this problem and Nissan still refuses to do anything about it.

- Denton, TX, USA

Aug 122011

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

Winding noise coming out of rear end, rear differential failing, bearings failing.

- Canal Winchester, OH, USA

Oct 152008

Titan 8-cyl

Right rear differential seal failed - leaked oil into right rear brake.

- Alhambra,Ca, CA, USA

Jul 052011

Titan 8-cyl

I was driving on the freeway where the speed limit is 65 mph. I was going that speed when, what I thought was my drive shaft, basically exploded and fell apart whilst I was in motion. I have kept up one all mandatory and basic maintenance work and have never had a problem with it before. Parts flew out from all around my truck and it slammed into a complete stop as if I had made impact into something. Passing vehicles had to stay clear of the debris an I had to push my truck into the emergency lane. Highway patrol asked if I was alright and I stated to have already had a tow truck on its way. When my truck was towed to the shop they said the rear end actually gave way and broke, including the drive shaft which snapped into two pieces, one of which was launched into traffic. Luckily no other vehicles were damaged nor people hurt. The mechanics said they've been in business for 57 years and I was lucky to have come out of that the way I did, because in most cases the truck would have flipped and rolled. The damages were extensive and extreme for something I had no control over. The shop informed me that this was nothing to do with the way I was driving it or anything I could have done, and they found it "weird" that it happened the way it did. Very dangerous and near traumatizing. I was unable to select the correct components above so I just wanted to be clear that it had everything to do with my drive shaft, rear differential, and power line.

- North Las Vegas, NV, USA

Oct 082011

Titan

During a turn onto another street, the rear differential broke apart and seized, stopping the truck in the middle of the intersection.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Oct 052011

Titan

Car into dealer for service. Found two cracked manifolds on both sides of the engine resulting in excessive noise and exhaust gases to be released into the cab. Both sides need full replacement at nearly $1,200 per side. This is ridiculous on a vehicle with only 70K miles on the clock.

- Huron, OH, USA

Sep 292011

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

Within a 5 mile range the vehicle started to whine, then clank, then lock-up. Emergency brakes failed and rear differential failed... vehicle was undriveable. This vehicle just hit 100,000 miles. Repair is > 1/5th of vehicle value. This is a very common failure in 2004 Nissan Titans. Very dangerous - especially if towing a trailer (which is what this vehicle is advertised to do)

- Glassford, IL, USA

Apr 202010

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

Rear axle oil leak requiring replacement of breather and right rear axle at 45,385 miles. Reoccurred 9-26-11 at 54,718 miles. Internet sites indicate this is a common recurrence and the part was subsequently redesigned. Nissan refuse to stand by their quality and hide behind the warranty terms for a design failure.

- Annapolis, MD, USA

Aug 272011

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

My 2004 Nissan Titan rear differential went out today, I have never hauled anything and am pretty light on the pedal. The vehicle just hit 58,000 miles and I'm the original owner.the clanking was unbearable my ride home.

- Port Washington, WI, USA

Jul 152011

Titan

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Titan. The contact was driving 60 mph when the vehicle started to make a loud noise and became hard to drive. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the rear differential was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 83,000.the VIN was not available.

- Muncy, PA, USA

Jul 282011

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

The rear axle seals in my 2004 Nissan Titan 5.6L SE started leaking. The current mileage is 89,000. The seals are extremely hard to find. When replacing the axel seals you also have to replace the spacers and the bearings. Not only that but the fluid from the leak has got onto the brake pads and rotor. It started leaking terribly in only a matter of a few days.

- Indiana, IN, USA

Jul 082011

Titan

My 2004 Nissan Titan is leaking lubricant out of the rear seals. It wil cost around 1200 to fix and the truck only has 58,000 miles on it and has done no towing ever!

- La Mesa, CA, USA

Jul 022011

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

Changed engine oil over July 4th 2011 weekend and noticed oil all over transfer case. Upon further inspection found two bolts missing from top of transfer case. Drained transfer case fluid to which only a quarter of a quart was left and was extremely black with metal fragments in it. Tried to match bolts for missing ones and filled transfer case with fresh fluid.

- Meadow Lands, PA, USA