2004 Nissan Titan drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Titan:

2004 Nissan Titan Owner Comments (Page 7 of 9)

Jan 112010

Titan

Was in 4 wheel drive tried to make a left hand turn, truck basically stopped in middle of a busy road until I heard a poping then was able to turn but 4 wheel drive failed. Now there are problems with my power train and front differential. Went to a garage they say missing a clamp, but dealership says no clamp and nothing wrong that it works fine. It most certainly does not work fine

- Canterbury, CT, USA

Jul 132009

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

Axel seal leak on a long 2,500 vacation drive that could have caused a bad accident if all the gear oil would have been lost. Luck it was discovered soon enough that I could fill the diff back up. Seals have been replaced previously as well as the whole axel on a different occasion. These axel and axel seal problems may cause a deadly accident one day. My truck only has 54,000 miles on it.

- Woodland , CA, USA

Dec 142009

Titan

Took 2004 Nissan Titan pickup with 53,479 miles to dealership for oil change and service under recall ntb 352 W93 service manual reference PB081. At completion of work service manager mentioned that rear axle seal service at a cost of approximately $500 should be considered. I did not know at the time that the service should have been covered under warranty. Later on 10/14/2009 took vehicle in for oil change now with mileage over 60K service manager recommended the axle seal service at the cost mentioned above. At 66974 miles I took the truck in to the dealership and I scheduled the axle service on 12/14/09 when slip and ABS warning lights turned on, the dealership ordered parts. Further research by me found that this service should have been performed at no cost under 60K warranty period. I believe the dealerships service manager waited until my vehicle was over 60K and therefore out of warranty.

- Coeur D'alene, ID, USA

Nov 152009

Titan

My 2004 Nissan Titan rear diff seals leak and has caused a brake failure. I pulled out of my driveway and was driving down the road when all of a sudden my rear end locks up. It took a few moments to get her going again in reverse. I jacked it up and removed the tires and removed the rotors. The pad on the emergency brake system fail off. It still had plenty of pad left on it. My father looked at it and noticed the fluid leaking from my rear end. He told me that probably caused the failure due to the contamination. Replaced the pad and added some oiled to the rear end. I have researched this issue online and found numerous complaints about this and other brake failures also. There should be a recall for this issue. My exhaust manifold leaks also. I am replacing it too. This is a known issue with the Titans. This may be of more concern with the epa. They have been know to crack.

- Berkeley Springs, WV, USA

Dec 022009

Titan

I have 2004 Nissan Titan le and my rear differential just went on me this past Wednesday. My mechanic found the drain pinion inside.

- Shrewsbury, MA, USA

Oct 212009

Titan

Pulled slowly from a mcdonald's drive through into halted traffic (red light). As I pulled out of drive through, heard big bang and felt like I had been rear-ended. Tried to accelerate, truck would not move, and I could hear an audible clicking noise at what would have been tire rotation speed. Vehicle towed to dealer. Charged $3,798.22 to replace rear differential. Waiting to hear back form Nissan to see if they will reimburse for at least cost of part(3223.00.)

- Bear, DE, USA

Sep 162009

Titan

2004 Nissan Titan - 50,000K miles. Noticed a rear seal leaking onto by tires and on my brakes from the rear differential. There is a loud grinding sound coming from the rear of the vehicle. Unit has not failed as of date but service dept says any day it will. Grenada Nissan offered to replace because of known issues, but Nissan headquarters has not honored warranty to date, B/C it is 6 months too late. Will not honor warranty. Concerned if it fails at intersection or going down road an accident with bodily injury can occur. The fluid on brakes may also cause slippage while braking. Very dangerous. Nissan quoted repair near 3500$. has been known issue with Nissan and NHTSA. Over 70 complaints filed, luckily no injury todate. This failure is a known issue with Nissan na, and have yet to fix flaw on this vehicle. Please beware that this is a safety issue to not only the vehicle's driver and passenger, but to others on the road as well.

- Clarksdale, MS, USA

Mar 202009

Titan

2004 Nissan Titan rear axle seal failure. First notice oil leaking from both axle seals when changing shocks at 41,000 miles. Brought to dealer was told axle seals had failed and were going to be replaced under warranty, at 44,400 miles went to get inspection sticker and the parking brake failed, upon further investigating this was due to the fact that the seals had failed again and slung oil all over the rear brake system I would think this is a huge safety issue. This time they fixed the seals but I was told that they were failing due to the fact of a problem with the axle, now I am over the 5 year warranty and there telling me it my not be covered still waiting to hear. This seems to be a common problem and should be recalled to be fixed at Nissan expense. One time this is going to happen and someone's brake are going to fail from the oil and cause a serious accident resulting in injury or death! something need to be done before its to late.

- Pittsfield, MA, USA

Aug 102009

Titan

Rear axle seals are leaking causing difficult braking, grinding noise and take off problems. Vehicle is an 2004 Titan with 58500 miles. All stock, no towing. Dealer will look at it but won't warranty work.

- Portland, OR, USA

Aug 012009

Titan

Rear axle seal leak. 3rd failure of same seal in 6 months. Failure results in differential fluid leaking onto brakes resulting in braking limitations and failure, potential for fire. Dealer is presumably going to replace seal... again.

- Smithfield, UT, USA

Jun 302009

Titan

Rear axle is leaking on both rotors as of now.

- Rowlett, TX, USA

Jul 092009

Titan

Rear wheel seals continue to leak even after being replaced, differential and axle have too much play in the pumpkin area, causing the seals to break. The dealer had my truck for (14) days doing absolutely nothing after disassembling the differential due to a conflict between them and my extended warranty on who was going to pay for the ($3,000) rear. This has left me in limbo so I contacted the manufacturer to discuss the modified rear that the dealer told me that the manufacturer had to resolve the problem. I am currently waiting to hear back from the manufacturer. They know about the problem on these 2004 Titans and have a modified replacement rear, then why is there not a recall"shouldn't the manufacturer be responsible and have decency to correct their problem free of charge to the consumer"

- Sterling, VA, USA

Jun 112009

Titan

Rear seal on 2004 Nissan Titan leaks.

- Wellsboro, PA, USA

May 202009

Titan

The rear end is making horrible clanking sound and took to a shop, they said it was going out.

- Yukon, OK, USA

Oct 122008

Titan

I own a 2004 Nissan Titan and in October of 2008 I was told that I needed to replace the rear axle seals and bearings and the front pinion seals. The parts were available and the rear end was fixed on April 15, 2009 but not able to get the front done yet. This problem come about a year after owning it and about 12000 miles after the warranty was up. I have files a complaint to Nissan North America.

- Gig Harbor, WA, USA

Mar 262009

Titan

Right side rear axle seal leaking differential fluid on brake drum. Nissan Titan 04 le.

- Rancho Santa Margarita, CA, USA

Mar 112009

Titan

My 2004 Nissan Titan recently started leaking gear oil from both axles in the rear. Concurrently my brake pads starting absorbing the oil which in turn ruined my rotors, brake pads, and now is costing me a pretty penny to get it fixed. My mechanic said the local auto parts stores do not carry these bearings and seals and therefore must contact the original dealer to order them. After reading and following up on the additional complaints by many other Titan owners, I am curious to find out what steps in Nissan taking to recall these bad seals and bearings" why should us the owners have to fix costly repairs when Nissan knows their production efforts were not properly tested before fielding the dealerships" please inform me how to get it fixed free of cost to me.

- Kerman, CA, USA

Mar 052009

Titan

I have a 2004 Nissan Titan, I have had to replace the rear axle seals twice already.(once March 2009 and once about 1.5 years ago. Warranty covered, but I am getting close to my warranty limit. I know that this is also a safety issue, because the fluid leaks down on your brakes, which is a big factory fault. I was just hoping that someone could help me, and other Titan owners, for the safety and money, out of pocket when warranty is up. Nissan should be held responsible for this and come up with sometype of permanent fix. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you brian castle

- Pound, VA, USA

Jan 062009

Titan

2004 Nissan Titan rearend failure just after extended warrenty!!no parts offered from dealer aftermarket parts are tring to pick up the slack. So far no luck!!

- Robertsdale, AL, USA

Nov 212008

Titan

Rear axle seals leaking and spilling onto disc brakes.

- Glenwood Sprnigs, CO, USA