2004 Nissan Titan electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Titan:

2004 Nissan Titan Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 152016

Titan

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Titan. The contact stated that the air bag warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the vehicle. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 06V4590009 (electrical system); however, the VIN was not included. The failure mileage was approximately 212,000.

- Denton, TX, USA

Jul 202014

Titan

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Titan. The contact stated that the brakes stopped functioning while driving 65-70 mph. The contact was able to regain control after the vehicle was pulled to the side of the road and moved 900 yards. Also, the brake light warning indicator was illuminated. Once the vehicle was restarted, it operated normally. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the vcu chip and the vacuum canister malfunctioned and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure recurred twice. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was approximately 50,000.

- Orangevale, CA, USA

Jul 132015

Titan

The contact owned a 2004 Nissan Titan. While driving at 55 mph, the entire instrument panel illuminated and an abnormal odor emitted into the vehicle. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road and the vehicle caught fire. The contact was not injured. The vehicle was destroyed and a police report was filed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 98,000.

- Adona , AR, USA

Mar 122015

Titan

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Titan. The contact stated that the air bags and the seat belt warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and informed that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 06V459000 (electrical system). The approximate failure mileage was 156,300.

- Saucier , MS, USA

Jan 222015

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

I was driving my 2004 Nissan Titan from work when coming up to a stop leaving the long driveway to enter the main rd I pushed on the brakes and the pedal dropped to the floor and began vibrating and making a grinding noise like when you step on the pedal very hard and the ABS comes on, except the brakes did not engage. The truck did not stop. I flew through the stop sign in front of other coworkers leaving a building to the North. The road only went left and right so I could not make the turn so I had no options and went across the road, hit the curb, went into a field where a mesquite tree stopped me. I put the truck into park and shut it off. When I restarted it the brakes are back and working like nothing ever happened. I left the truck there and went home to begin my normal google searches and what's the cause and how to fix this problem myself. I've found hundreds if not thousands of online complaints on this very issue. The most recent notes are of a class action lawsuit that Nissan has agreed to pay because of faulty parts that cause their vehicles not to stop. They where quoted that they will not issue a recall unless ordered to do so in numerous news articles. Please process this recall before someone else gets hurt or killed. Please help.

- Cottonwood, AZ, USA

Aug 042014

Titan 8-cyl

The car start to loose power suddenly in the middle of the road then it shut off...... it just shuts off by it self.

- Allen , TX, USA

Feb 252014

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Titan. The contact stated that the air bag warning lamp was illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the front passenger side air bag module was open and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 27,800 and the current mileage was 28,144. Updated 06/10/14 MA the consumer referenced recall # 06V459000. Updated 07/24/24

- Valparaiso, IN, USA

Oct 222004

Titan 8-cyl

The brake on my 04 Nissan Titan would quit working intermittently. The pedal went all the way to the floor and it pulsated and seemed to have no brake. All the service lights went on. I have no control of the brake at all. Very scary feeling. I had to pull over the side of the road and shut down the engine and restarted and the problem went away. It happened intermittently. I bought the truck new in 04 and still have it now 2013. It happens about 5-7 times every year. Nissan needs to own up to it and repair the problem. There are a lot of discussions about the delta stroke sensor. They need to fix this before someone got killed and then they will have a big lawsuit in their hands.

- Falls Church, VA, USA

May 242013

Titan 8-cyl

Imagine driving down a mountainous road in Idaho state. You are going down a hill in a pick-up truck pulling a camper. All of a sudden your vehicle goes into limp mode - it won't rev over 1000 RPM. You look to pull over but there is only a small shoulder. Vehicles are skidding trying to avoid an accident as your vehicle is disabled and only partially off the road. After fixing the problem, I realized the truck should never have gone into limp mode. It is a critical design flaw with the vehicle. I was put in harms way for no reason. All vehicles use to have the engine speed controlled via mechanical linkage or cables for the gas pedal. Very few failures existed with this design. Today gas pedal run by a wire that sends an electronic signal to the vehicles computer. The computer in turn evaluates the gas pedal position which then sends a signal to the fuel injectors and throttle body to control the engine. The critical design flaw comes into play when vehicle designers combine other electronic sensors on the same circuit as the gas pedal. Non-critical components like gas evaporator sensors, power steering sensors, air conditioner sensors. When any of these non-critical items experience an electrical short, the vehicle goes into limp mode potentially putting drivers in harm's way does this recommended solution fix all problems related to the gas pedal? no it does not. It is a lot safer. I believe NHTSA should evaluate & assess this critical design flaw. I have been a controls engineer for 28 yrs and this design is not safe. Please refer their model A60 series manual. Nov 2003 edition, rev-April 2004, pub no. Sm4E-1A60U1. Section B, pages ec-423 thru 427. I would find it satisfactory if Nissan redesigned and fixed all vehicles by separating circuits with critical engine components from non-critical components.

- Spokane, WA, USA

Jun 202008

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

On 6/20/2008 I went to a Nissan dealership to resolve a recall item to replace rear door wiring harness, recall # R0616. The recall was performed and in the process the dealership also replaced LH-pretensioner, seatbelt and body harness, and reset airbag warning light. On 6/03/2013, the airbag warning light came on and I went to a nearby Nissan dealership and was advised that I would have to replace the LH-pretensioner, seatbelt and body harness, I informed the service advisor that this work was already accomplished once and that I had the documents if he needed them. The service advisor then stated that since the work was accomplished five years ago that even though the parts are a safety item that they were no longer under warranty, resulting in a $574.30 charge of which I paid. My contention is that this is a safety item, and thus should not have a warranty restriction, I am not sure if the truck is even safe to drive.

- Hingham, MA, USA

May 012013

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

2004 Nissan Titan. Consumer writes in regards to faulty wire harness recall notice. The consumer stated the recall remedy failed and was only a temporary fix. The consumer stated the vehicle failed a state inspection, because the air bag light was on. The consumer stated since the fix did not eliminate the potential hazardous condition of the faulty wiring harness installed by the manufacturer, he believed he was entitled to refund of $ $185.60 when he had to pay for the repairs, that should have previously been made under the recall.

- Roanoke, VA, USA

May 182013

Titan 8-cyl

I received a recall notice in the mail this week: Recall 06V-459 about the airbag warning light flashing, seat belts not working properly, etc. My vehicle is having all of the problems listed so as instructed I brought my vehicle to the Nissan dealership along with the letter. They informed me that they would not fix the problem because it "was not in their system". stating they do not understand why I got a notice in the mail. Clearly my vehicle is having these exact problems and they are required to fix them, but they still refused to fix or diagnose for free as required by law. Very disappointing in Nissan for disregarding my family's safety...updated 08-07-13

- Gaffney, SC, USA

Dec 032012

Titan 8-cyl

Driving vehicle on expressway at approximately 60 mph and vehicle lost engine power and turned off. Dangerous experience.

- Brownsville, TX, USA

Jul 142012

Titan

I was traveling towing a 33 ft camper. Usually tow at about 62 mph. All of a sudden the truck cuts out then turns back on and "bucks". my lights on my dash light up like a color blinking christmas tree. My speedometer goes all the way to 140 mph, my rpms max out, my fuel gauge goes up and down along with the temp gauge. Furthermore all the gauges and warning lights flash or move in no form or fashion. Steering gets stiff along with the brakes because the truck shuts off. I controlled the truck to avoid crashing in between the on and off periods. This happened several times. Thought it was wiring from camper or brake controller. However, over the last few weeks from about mid Sept it has progressively gotten worse. Now I can't go out of the driveway before the truck starts acting up. There is a bad accident waiting to happen. In my past experience with Nissan is they are reluctant to say anything is wrong and to fix things. I have had enough go wrong with my truck from brakes, electrical, and rear end unit. Just last weekend 20 Oct 12 I took the truck on about a 15 mile round trip and it acted up again. Between July and Sept 2012 the truck would start the shut completely off in parked position. It still does that now too. The truck is now parked until I figure what is the problem. I don't have mega bucks to fix it! someone said Nissan has a computer recall but I have not been notified and I contacted a dealer but they have not called back. Its been 3 days now. They said the description I gave them matches the recall"????????"

- West Chazy, NY, USA

May 032012

Titan

On May 3, 2012, I saw my side mirror lights were not turning off, even while driving. I scheduled work for my truck for May 5, 2012. My truck was parked at my place of employment from around 6 am to 2 pm on May 3, 2012. When trying to leave work I tried to start my truck and it would not turn over, tried to jump start with no success and even had a tow truck company attempt to start the truck. After the truck was towed to local shop the truck started up with no problem and the mechanic said since its not showing any issues that it did before there was nothing they could do. On May 5, 2012 I took my truck in for the electrical problem and they also fixed a recall with the ECM relay. On the same day around 6 pm in the afternoon the truck would not start again. The truck was towed back to the Nissan dealership on May 6, 2012 and on May 7, 2012 the technicians at Nissan contacted me stating it was my BCM which was in the same area as the ECM. I had to pay about 600 dollars for a new BCM. I believe the BCM went out due to the recall work that was performed earlier.

- Stafford, VA, USA

Apr 172012

Titan 8-cyl

The wiring harness, in the back door has broken, because of a Nissan engineering problem, both the harness and wires have broken, which according to NHTSA the front passenger side airbag will not deploy, resulting in my having an unsafe truck according to NHTSA, I contacted Nissan and was told that the campaign had ended, so they refuse to repair my truck according to the guidelines set by NHTSA. At what point does Nissan decide that they can decide which trucks to repair, I have to wonder how many other unsafe Nissan trucks are on the highways.

Jul 302012

Titan 8-cyl

I took my truck in for the service manager at wallace Nissan, kingsport, tn, to find out if they would repair the broken wire in the wiring harness in the rear door, I was told by the service manager and by Nissan Consumer Affairs office that Nissan would not repair the broken wire, even though the NHTSA had a recall for this problem, Nissan told me that the campaign had ended and they would not do anything about the problem, as I recall in the NHTSA recall the wiring affects the passenger side airbag, which would explain why the passenger side airbag has been flashing continuously for about 3 months, I have been in contact with Nissan Consumer Affairs office but they have quit answering my emails to them, all I am asking is for Nissan to repair the wiring harness and broken wires on my unsafe vehicle. Recall # 06V459000.

May 012012

Titan 8-cyl

On certain king cab trucks, the wires in the harness were routed through the rear doors and into the body. These wires may break due to over bending of the harness as the door is opened and closed. The harness contains wires for the driver seat belt pretensioner and for the front passenger seat belt which is part of the occupant classification system. Wires for the rear audio speakers are also contained N the harness. Consequence: If the wires for the seat belts and speaker wires break and make contact, there is a possibility that the pretensioner may deploy. If this happens when the seat belt is retracted, it will not be possible to use the seat belt. If one of the wires on the right side harness for the seat belt tension sensor breaks, the passenger side front air bag will not deploy as designed in a frontal collision increasing the risk of a crash and personal injury. I went to wallace Nissan, kingsport, tn, on 07/18/2012 and described the above mentioned problem, and was told that the campaign had ended and they would not repair this problem, I explained that the dome lights and the door lock were effected by this flawed design problem, . I am very much afraid that the broken wires will short out and start a fire.

Mar 012012

Titan

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Titan. The vehicle was included in the recall under NHTSA campaign id number: 06V459000 (electrical system) and was taken to the dealer for the replacement of the front passenger side wiring harness. After the repair, the SRS light was illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostics. The technician stated the wiring harness on the front driver side would have to be replaced but also stated that the part needed for the repair would have to be ordered. The contact did not hear back from the dealer and contacted them after some time. The technician then advised that another diagnostic test would have to be performed in order to determine the failure because the part had arrived and was sent back. The technician stated that the repair would not be covered under the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000.

- Culver City, CA, USA

Jan 042011

Titan

2004 Nissan Titan the rear wiring harness is routed over the frame rail directly next to the tailpipe causing it to melt in the event of an exhaust leak. This happened to me and now I'm stuck splicing wires together as the local dealer in saint john nb want over $1000 to replace, this problem seem to be a common one among other owners I have talked to and poses a serious fire hazard / potential accident due to complete sudden loss of all power. Nissan Canada should be made aware of this (I'm sure they already are) to avoid any legal problems that may arise due to them not recommending an inspection / notice or recall of the rear wiring harness.

- New Brunswick, Canada, E5n5v7, ME, USA