2009 Nissan Versa suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Nissan Versa:

2009 Nissan Versa Owner Comments (Page 3 of 8)

Jul 052015

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Versa. The contact stated that after inspecting the vehicle, he discovered that the front left coil spring was fractured. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 94,200. Updated 09/10/15

- Miamisburg, OH, USA

Jul 012015

I was driving slowly, around 20 mph, and exiting my workplace when I heard a sudden loud noise (like a clang) from the front area of my car. I thought I had hit something, but I stopped to look and there were no pot holes or anything around the car that I could have hit. I tried to continue home, as I live very close to a shop and was going to have the car looked at... but less than a mile later the car began to smoke from the passenger side wheel. I pulled off the road and had to have the car towed last night. Today I found out it was the coil spring, which had snapped off and was digging into my tire. Now I have to have to the coil replaced and purchase a new tire -- the one I have is nearly shredded. While I'm disappointed that I'm just outside my 5/60 warranty (currently at approx. 63,000 miles), I feel incredibly fortunate that this didn't happen on the interstate because I could have been seriously injured or killed by this malfunction. There was no warning that it was about to happen, I just happened to be going fairly slow when it did.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jun 302015

While driving on a country side road at 40 miles per hour, passenger side coil spring broke without warning after a small hill top (while the car was compressing the suspension) and tore the sidewall of the front right tire. The tire instantly deflated, the rim punched hard into the ground resulting in a temporary loss of control of the vehicle. The vehicle managed to stay on the road. Car will need a new right suspension and some repair to the front bumper (scratch marks).

- Sherbrooke, Qc, Canada, J4j 5h, VT, USA

May 202015

Car was setting in the parking lot. Opened the door to get in. Heard something hit the pavement. Looked under the car and found part of the left front coil spring on the grond.

- Albright, WV, USA

May 082015

Part of the coil spring broke from my 2009 Nissan Versa and fell off in my driveway. When I explored where it had come from I realized that both front coil springs had snapped off at the bottom. The first piece of broken coil spring I did not realize had come off and the second one luckily broke off while in the driveway.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jun 222015

The coil spring on my front passenger side tire broke in two and then moved out of place to damage and eventually pop my tire (in a matter of minutes). The edges of the break on the spring are very jagged and tore away the rubber from my tire as I was driving.

- Windsor Mill, MD, USA

Jun 142015

Second time in a month a suspension coil spring broke on my nisson. First one was the passenger front side and on Sunday the drive's front side as I was pulling out of the garage.

- Woodridge, IL, USA

Jun 152015

Versa 4-cyl

Backing out of my driveway I heard a grinding noise, and when I got down to the street and put it into drive, I heard a loud pop and ping from the front end of the passenger side. Part of the passenger side spring had broken off. I pulled it immediately back into the driveway. Upon inspection, I found a piece of the spring in the road and noted that the passenger side front of the car was lower than the other. I called a tow truck, had it towed to my mechanic and they found that the spring had indeed broken off. The spring was not rusty, it is currently 6 years old and has only 45K miles on it. Since there are no aftermarket parts for this and Nissan sells spring, mount, strut (not an assembly), they are forced to put on all Nissan parts which makes me nervous that it will happen again. The mechanic advised I was extremely lucky this did not happen while I was driving as the spring had gone through the strut and was very close to shredding the tire. Upon researching this to see if there was a recall, I could not believe the amount of complaints I found about the very same thing happening to other people. I hope Nissan steps up or is forced to do a recall and reimburses me, as I had both sides replaced and it cost me $1266, not including the $80 for towing. I am just thankful it didn't happen while I was driving, as it has happened to others....updated 07/30/15 updated 9/24/2015

- Galloway, OH, USA

Feb 132013

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Versa. While driving at 15 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the suspension failed. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, but was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 35,200.

- Melrose, NY, USA

Jun 082015

While travelling at speeds of 35-45 mph noticed smoke coming from vehicle (distance travelled 2.2 miles from origin). After noticing smoke, immediately proceeded to slow down in order to pullover to side of road. As soon as began to decelerate, heard a loud noise and the front of the car dropped - this was due to the tire failing. Once pulled over, was able to inspect and determine the front passenger side coil spring had failed and was contacting the tire. Failure point was approximately 9.25" (along outside edge) of the coil spring measured from the bottom of the coil. Vehicle was towed to local dealer where all repairs were completed the same day of the event. Dealer referred to an ongoing NHTSA investigation related to this failure. Even though the vehicle is out of warranty the repairs were covered under warranty (goodwill) due to a likely upcoming recall.

- Edwards, IL, USA

Jun 012015

Driving along, heard a loud pop as I turned onto a major roadway. The car was pulling very badly to the left side and could barely stop the vehicle. Had to have the car towed home and the struts replaced on the car. After doing some research this seems to be a common and very costly issue. I was quoted $930 to have this issue resolved. Not a happy Nissan owner.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Jun 062015

First 3/4 of passenger side coil just snapped off and the rest shot past the spring seat on the way down just bending the brake line not kinking it and missed the anti lock brake sensor wire. After further inspection driver side coil was snapped in around the same spot, just didn't end up off the spring seat. 250 dollars worth of parts plus mechanic labor. Luckily it broke in the driveway. Mechanic said I definately would have gotten in an accident if I was moving more than 30mph.

- Laurel, NY, USA

May 232015

Driving out of parking lot around 10mph, heard loud metallic clang from under car. Pulled forward, got out, noticed that front of car was riding 6" lower than normal. Took to mechanic, told me that coil spring on suspension snapped. Informed that many 2009 Versas have had this issue.

- Chicago, IL, USA

May 052015

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Versa. While driving approximately 45 mph, there was a loud abnormal sound coming from the front of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated that the passenger side coil springs needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 108,000.

- Forest Lake, MN, USA

May 162015

I was in a parking lot, stopped. The car was in drive and my foot was on the brake. Suddenly there was a loud metal crash sound. The car jolted slightly, like something hit the car. I got out of the car and saw a piece of the front left suspension coil spring behind my front left tire. The spring had broken at the end, about half way around the first coil on the bottom. I feel that if I had been travelling at speed, this defect could have caused the tire to fail, and I could have potentially lost control.

- O'fallon, MO, USA

May 082014

I was returning to Kentucky from Virginia. At grayson ky I heard a thump, thinking I had hit something on the interstate. I arrived at home (175 miles from grayson ky) when I started up my road the car felt like I was getting a flat. I stopped in my driveway and the left front tire was completely flat. The next morning I removed the flat tire and took it to a repair shop. At the repair shop the tire had a grove cut into the inside of the tire, the mechanic said I had better check the car to see what cut the tire. On my return home I inspected the left front suspension. The coil spring on the left front strut had broken and slipped out of its mount and cut the inside of the tire. It was just by the grace of god that the tire did not fail due to the cutting caused by the broken coil spring until I came up my driveway. I have the tire and coil spring if anyone would like to examine it. If it had failed at interstate speed I might have been killed.

- Lebanon, KY, USA

May 182015

I backed my car out of my driveway yesterday morning on may way to work and heard a loud thumping and moaning that was not present the day before. After I drove around the block, the noise continued so I took another car to work and took the Nissan to my mechanic when I got home from work. The right front coil spring had broken and collapsed onto my tire. The right front strut was also leaking. My mechanic checked the left side and the coil spring was fractured but had not collapsed yet. The strut on that side of the car is also leaking. I called my Nissan garage (kenny ross Nissan in zelienople, pa) and they said they were unaware of any issues so I am having my mechanic replace the struts and coil springs on both sides, for safety purposes.

- Franklin, PA, USA

Feb 202014

My car was parked in my driveway overnight. I got in my car the next morning to go to work and as I put the car into reverse and let off the brakes, I heard a really loud noise that sounded like metal snapping. I got out and looked to see what the noise came from. I couldn't notice anything immediately so I started to drive and I could feel every little imperfection in the road jolting the car. I immediately brought my car to the shop and sure enough my shocks/struts/strut mounts were gone on the left driver's side. The coil just broke in two and was so close to causing major damage to my wheels.

- Johnston, RI, USA

Apr 282015

Right front coil spring snapped. Burst the tire. Had to be towed to Nissan dealer. Both front coil springs within 1000 miles, vehicle only has 31000 miles on it. Faulty part. Could cause an accident. (have made a complaint for each spring on this site.)

- Franklin, NH, USA

Oct 142014

Left front coil spring snapped. Car was undriveable and was towed to Nissan dealer. (then April 28, 2015 right front coil spring snapped and burst the tire, had to be towed again to Nissan dealer and repaired.) will make another claim on that spring as well.) this is going to catch up to Nissan eventually.

- Franklin, NH, USA