2009 Nissan Versa suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Nissan Versa:

2009 Nissan Versa Owner Comments (Page 4 of 8)

Oct 142014

Versa

Left front coil spring snapped. Car was undriveable and was towed to Nissan dealer. (then April 28, 2015 right front coil spring snapped and burst the tire, had to be towed again to Nissan dealer and repaired.) will make another claim on that spring as well.) this is going to catch up to Nissan eventually.

- Franklin, NH, USA

May 102015

Versa

Navigating slow, 90' left turn, heard metallic object sliding across roadway behind us. Upon investigation found the bottom 3/4 ring of the front drivers spring snapped off. Very small rusted pit visible, the rest of the tear appears to have occurred all at once - no aging evident on the exposed metal. Estimate to replace both front struts and springs is $982.

- Hershey, PA, USA

Apr 282015

Versa

While pulling out of my garage and having gone no more than 3 feet I heard a very loud snap and a grinding sound coming from the right front wheel. Having read about the spring issue I knew what it was and immediately backed up into the garage. Had this happened 15 minutes later I would have been on the highway going 55 mph and probably rolled the car. There is no excuse for Nissan not addressing this issue. They know of the problem and I see that the 2010 Versas also have the problem. My dealer is well aware of the issue and stocks the springs. I replaced both springs at the same time to save further grief. There is also no excuse for the NHTSA and dot for not forcing a recall on the springs. I guess they wish to kill a few people first.

- Tiffin, OH, USA

Apr 062015

Versa 4-cyl

I was backing my car out of my driveway when I heard a loud sound. Nothing external caused this - I did not hit anything, run over anything, etc. After the incident the front end of the car was much lower than it was previously. I also actually found a piece of the strut spring on my driveway.

- Charlottesville, VA, USA

Apr 272015

Versa

Car was bouncing and making loud clunk noises. Front springs were found to have been broken. Both left and right front suspension springs were broken in two pieces. Mechanic stated that the broken springs had potential to puncture the tires. The springs seem to have broken on rusty part of the springs. Once they are broken they can twist on the strut and get in the way of tire and other parts near the wheels. The spring at the broken section was severed to make a very sharp edge.both springs were replaced at the cost of $702.22.

- Glastonbury, CT, USA

Apr 232015

Versa 4-cyl

After smelling rubber burning and the car not handling correctly. I checked the suspension to find both coil springs (passenger and drivers side) were broken. The drivers side broken coil was applying pressure to the inside wall of the tire wearing a large groove in the entire diameter of the tire. This could have cause serious injury and must be addressed by Nissan and or the supplier of the springs. The repair was expensive (coil, struts and a tire).

- Rye, NH, USA

Apr 212015

Versa 4-cyl

I was backing out of my driveway and there was a loud bang under the car. I stopped the car and got out. A 6 inch section of the drivers's side front coil spring was laying on the driveway.

- Cambrige, MD, USA

Apr 142015

Versa 4-cyl

Hit 40 thousand miles 3 days prior to incident. Pulled out of garage and heard an awful grind, pulled another 3 feet and the front end fell to the ground. Upon inspection both coil springs (not at all rusted) busted. I am roughly a 60 year old driver that has had this vehicle from the day it was new. I work 4 miles from home and fortunately don't really have the opportunity to go over 35 miles per hour. Can not imagine what would have happened driving at 60 mph and having the front end at the same time come to a screeching halt? really sad part about this, dealership bob rohrman arlington hts Nissan would not stand by the gold extended bumper to bumper warranty I had recently acquired.

- Palatine, IL, USA

Apr 152015

Versa 4-cyl

Car was parked in driveway and upon going in reverse noticed a piece of metal on driveway where the front passenger tire was when car was parked. It looked like a piece of the coil suspension and upon further inspection found that it had broken off from front passenger coil spring. The piece was not corroded. I am happy I wasn't in motion when this broke, highly unusual for such a part just to break off by itself. Why isn't the government looking into this issue?

- Great Neck, NY, USA

Mar 262015

Versa 4-cyl

Nissan Versa 2009 two (2) broke springs in less than 2 years. The second broke spring was the front left spring, it broke when making a left turn at about 5mph.

- Galena, IL, USA

Mar 162015

Versa 4-cyl

The coil spring on the front passenger side broke--this happened a few months ago to the front passenger side coil spring. These springs are complete junk. If this had happened on the highway we would have probably had a serious accident.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Mar 092015

Versa 4-cyl

I was leaving the driveway when I heard a crack or snap sound in the right front tire area.after inspection, the service tech said the right front or passenger suspension coil spring failed.this is my second incident. The drivers side also broke in 2014 while I was driving.

- Watertown, MA, USA

Feb 242015

Versa 4-cyl

Pulling out of garage the front right suspension spring failed - it broke into 3 pieces. After dropping the vehicle off at the Nissan dealership for repair, we were informed that the front left spring was also cracked and to prevent a similar failure should be replaced.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Mar 042015

Versa

While driving out of parking spot, heard a loud pop from the passenger-side wheel area. The coil/spring had snapped. I brought the car to the mechanic and he said the driver-side coil/spring had corroded as well. The mechanic said I was lucky the broken end didn't puncture the tire. Had to have both coils replaced.

- Roslindale, MA, USA

Feb 042014

Versa

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Versa. The contact stated that the struts were prematurely wearing the tires. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that all four tires and struts needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. In addition, the contact discovered that the driver side coil spring fractured. The vehicle was unable to be driven and the part to repair the vehicle was ordered. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 37,000. Updated 4/20/15

- Geneva, MN, USA

Mar 012014

Versa 4-cyl

Left front coil spring snapped and is hitting left front tire. Car worked fine on Friday. Went out to garage sat. Morning to run errands and when I pulled out of the garage I heard a strange noise. Parked it and called my brother who came to look at it and noticed the snapped coil spring hitting the tire. Car is going to the repair shop this afternoon and expect at least a $350 charge. I went online and saw many complaints on this same issue and apparently Nissan has not issued a recall. I just thank god it was parked and I wasn't driving it.

- Chicopee, MA, USA

Feb 032015

Versa

I purchased my 2009 Nissan Versa hatchback new and has owned and driven it for the past 5 to 6 years. One day I noticed my car started to make a strange noise whenever I made a left or a right turn with my car. The next morning I heard the same strange noise while driving to work whenever I had to turn the steering wheel to the left or to the right. After I parked my car at work and with daylight to see, I examine my car and noticed that the gap between my front driver side tire and the chassis was much smaller than the other 3 tires. I quickly made an appointment to have a local mechanic look at my car later on that day. Within 5 minutes after the mechanic elevated my car on the lift, he found and showed me that the front driver side spring coil had broken in half, with the bottom broken half dangling dangerously near the tire. Fortunately, I was not driving at highway speed (was driving at less than 40 mph around town) with this broken spring coil or this broken spring coil could have punctured my tire unexpectedly and resulted in an accident. I was extremely unhappy to learn that the local Nissan dealership is aware of this problem, but there is no recall on this defective part and Nissan is the only one that supply this spring coil part for my local mechanic to replace. To be safe, I had both front spring coils replaced, costing me $950 in repair work (incl. Replacing the 2 front struts and a wheel alignment). I am very disappointed with Nissan and can not believe that I had to replace the spring coil after just 54,000 miles on the car and driving it for less than 6 years. Having own different cars over the past 25 years, this is the first time I ever had to replace a spring coil in any car I've own.

- Poughkeepsie, NY, USA

Jan 302015

Versa

The coil spring broke on the passenger side of the car ripping into the tire, while I was driving. The car's steering was immediately affected and so were the brakes, since the broken spring ripped the brake line. I broke down in an underpass and had to call the police since we were placed in a dangerous spot with cars speeding by. I did not expect this for a car that is 6 years old! from what I have read so far this seems to be a prevalent problem with Nissan versus and it seems that the dealers are not taking any action.

- Boston, MA, USA

Feb 012015

Versa

I went to check the tire pressure on my wife's Versa while it was sitting in the driveway. Upon doing so, I noted that the front right coil spring had broken somewhere near the bottom of the spring and the sharp broken end was lodged tightly against the top of the tire tread, depressing it by about half an inch. Amazingly, it had not yet broken the tire, indicating that whenever the breakage had occurred, the spring had only recently broken loose and impacted the tire. Had I not noticed the broken spring and had the vehicle driven anywhere, it likely would have resulted in catastrophic damage to the tire or wheel, possibly causing a crash. I have noted hundreds of complaints about this exact issue in this database and other places on the internet (the majority of complaints about Versa's seem to be related to coil springs breaking). Our local dealership has agreed that there is likely a systemic problem since they have done many replacements of this part in particular, and shipped many replacement parts all over new england. They have also stated that without an official recall, the best they can do is to replace the part, at our cost. The parts themselves are nearly impossible to find at this point, and many customers have had them replaced multiple times, supporting my belief that they are defective. I request immediate investigation and would like a recall campaign initiated asap. The failure of this spring in a driving situation could/would likely cause damage of the sort that could lead to serious injuries or deaths, and we are simply lucky that ours did not. As it is, we will likely need to have the vehicle towed to get it repaired safely.

- Heath, MA, USA

May 012014

Versa 4-cyl

In May 2014 the left front spring in our car broke. The following August the right front spring also broke. The springs broke in the exact same place. We still have the broken parts and can send pictures if requested. We got no help from out local Nissan dealership. There are over 100 of these complaints all over the web. We believe these springs are defective and should be covered under warranty.

- Graniteille, VT, USA