2012 Nissan Versa drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Nissan Versa:

2012 Nissan Versa Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Feb 192016

Versa

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Versa. The contact stated that while driving at 50 mph, the transmission hesitated between shifting and the engine rpms revved. The transmission would shift gears violently causing the vehicle to jerk. The contact mentioned that the failure was getting progressively worst. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 68,000.

- Carlisle, PA, USA

Feb 242016

Versa

Driving on I-5 North of san diego and car will no longer accelerate, RPM going into red but no acceleration. Car slowed to 40's then 30's then stopped altogether. Had to be towed. Clearly a common issue with this model. I gave this car to my daughter because I thought it was safe and reliable.

- Round Rock, TX, USA

Jan 302016

Versa

While accelerating from a stop at an intersection the vehicles would not move. You press the pedal and it does not throttle up or move at all leaving us exposed to traffic. After the car sat for 1 hour we were able to drive it but then the RPM began to fluctuate between 2000 and 4000 RPM and you could feel the vehicle speed up and slow down without any movement of the throttle. This occurred multiple times so we took it to a shop. The diagnosed this as a bad transmission which they stated was common on for this type of cvt transmission. I reviewed the transmission and complaints associated with the Nissan cvt built by jatco and quality issues exist. Nissan extended the warranties on the 2010 models when the 2012 through 2015 models are having the same issues and failures potentially leaving you stranded or worse in the middle of an intersection about to get whacked by a semi. Nissan refused to anything about this issue stating that there is no issue. The only problem with that logic is Mr. Ghosn, CEO nna, state in December 2013 that jatco had significant issues with their quality of product. A product that can leave you or your children in a bad way trying to navigate traffic. So my point to all of this, Nissan is well aware of the issues with their cvt transmission but refuse to make it right

- Lambertville, MI, USA

Feb 072016

Versa

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Versa. While driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle hesitated when attempting to accelerate. The contact made three attempts to accelerate, but was unsuccessful. The vehicle stalled and was towed to a certified mechanic who stated that the transmission failed and needed to be replaced. The dealer stated that the vehicle was no longer covered under the warranty. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and advised the contact to take the vehicle to the dealer. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer who confirmed the transmission failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Stradford, CT, USA

Jan 272016

Versa 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Versa. The contact stated that when the ignition was turned to the on position, the driver side air bag warning indicator illuminated. The failure recurred continuously. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the air bag module failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 70,000. The VIN was unavailable. Updated 05/11/16 the consumer stated the air bag failed at 20,000, the transmission was replaced at 32,000 and the wiper motor was replaced at 50,000. Updated 05/17/16.

- Oakridge, NJ, USA

Dec 182015

Versa

12/18/2015 driving the 2012 Nissan Versa sv on I-380 to us 101 during traffic hours. The car is at normal operating temperature. The car was going uphill, stepped on gas pedal, the RPM will no goes up neither the car move. The RPM will goes up in P or N only. Auto shop told me, when transmission gets hot. It will be not functioning correctly. Really happened to the car on the incident day, the car shift slow and vibrate a a lot. At higher speed with cruise control on or stable speed the RPM will goes from 2000-5000 up and down there is no any check light on the car. It was scary and dangerous.

- Hayward, CA, USA

Feb 022016

Versa

I bought the 2012 Versa new and now that it has around 70000 the transmission is going out. I took me Versa in to the dealership to get a oil change and not even two weeks later the car started to die when first start and when you do get up and go it is not smooth. Took the car to dealership and they told me that my transmission (transaxle) is going out. $3800 quote and I just bought it in July of 2012. Oil change 1/19/2016. Told transmission was bad on 2/5/2016.

- Pollock, LA, USA

Jan 132016

Versa

Cvt belt slipping cvt transmission needs replaced. Car has 66852 miles on it just 6852 miles over warranty and transmission needs replaced. Did research and this problem is continuously occurs with Nissan versaso andnissa refusing to fix the issue

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Dec 032015

Versa

Transmission recall but nothing sent to tell us telling us that there was a recall. We were told it is our responsibility to call them. While driving at 60 mph with children in the car the car just stopped going forward and started to coast to a stop. Luckily we were able to pull to the side of the road before being tail ended and possibly killed. After taking the car to the dealer we were told all was ok but when leaving it was apparent the problem still was there after we drove some distance. Took the car back in a couple days and then we were told it would cost 4200 to repair because it was not part of the recall and there were to many miles on the car. Traded the car in at an enterprise after telling them about our trouble; they looked up the VIN # and said it wasn't repaired as the recall required. Lost a substantial amount of money but was much more concerned with the potential for a deadly accident.

- Monaca, PA, USA

Jan 042016

Versa

I got in the car and drove to the store. When I tryed to leave the car would not move, the engine wined but it did not ingage the trans. I was at a stop in a parking lot thank god, but we just drove back from a long trip yesterday. They say my VIN is not part of the recall.

- Cullman, AL, USA

Dec 202015

Versa

I had the 60,000 service done on this car at my local Nissan dealership on Dec 14, 2015. Part of that service involved inspecting the continuously variable transmission fluid. Apparently it was ok. Six days later my daughter was driving it to new orleans and it stopped in the middle of the interstate. Luckily, nobody was close behind her and she was able to drift it to the side of the highway. We had it towed to a new orleans area dealer and are being told that the transmission needs to be replaced at a cost of $3900. We were also told that the car is out of warranty and Nissan would not help with the repair. This is a 4 year old car with 65,000 miles on it. A quick search of the internet shows several people also having transmission failures at about that same mileage. Several have had the car stop in the middle of the highway just like mine did.

- Pisgah Forest, NC, USA

Dec 192015

Versa

I took the car for a recall on the transmission and two months latter the check engine light came on. The car when driving 60 mph will just decreases in speed until it stops the engine is running. I took it to the dealer ship and was told the speed sensor inside the transmission was bad. To fix the problem the transmission must be replaced. The car has 78, 987 miles on it, I was looking on line and found many complaints about the cvt transmission used by Nissan. Most complaints said after the dealer repaired the recall on the transmission it failed. What is the process of filing a class action law suit against Nissan motor corporation?

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Nov 302015

Versa

Car squeakes when going over speed bumps or uneven road. Have already had transmission replaced and check engine light came on 4 different times for the mass air flow. My car has only 57,340 miles on it. When their was recall for the transmission, my car VIN was not included in the recall but, ended up having to be replaced."?????"

- Oakland, CA, USA

May 012015

Versa

My car has a little over 56,000 miles on it and since having this car I have had several issues with this car. I have taken it to the dealer for repair of the mass air flow and related components on 3 separate occasions. I have had 1 cvt transmission replacement and knows seems like something is going on with the suspension. After doing research, I have found several complaints and a service bulletin for this same issues which is sasid to be the spring coils. This is ridiculous to have this many issues with a car that is only 3 years old and less than 60,000 miles on it. Nissan needs to offer every customers that owns this car a replacement car.seriously!!! not to mention all the other recalls that never get associated with your VIN but, still has the issues.

- Oakland, CA, USA

Oct 122015

Versa

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Versa. The contact stated that the vehicle hesitated while on an incline and randomly while driving on a roadway. The contact also mentioned that the transmission was slow to change gears between first and third gears. The contact had to constantly check the gears to ensure they were changed over. The service engine warning light also randomly illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a repair shop and the mechanic stated that there was a cvt transmission failure advised the contact to take the vehicle to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The contact was also experiencing a failure in which the distance between the accelerator pedal and brake pedal was causing his foot to become trapped between the two pedals. The contact had to maneuver his feet with the pedals to prevent a failure. The contact was not notified, but the VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V507000 (service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that the transmission needed to be replaced. The dealer was to further diagnose the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 106,000. Updated 01/20/16

- Sauk Village, IL, USA

Oct 122015

Versa

Pre owned vehicle has a failed transmission shift assembly (power train) which was not addressed properly during the recall repair done prior to current owner taking possession of the vehicle.Nissan now states that the "campaign is closed out and nothing can be done on this" however., they did offer$250 for the consumers" inconvenience." Which was strange since..why would they do this if it is not an issue?and did say that the vehicle should be covered under power train 5 yrs(60000) and referred me to Consumer Affairs. Also strange. After reading your website, I decided to report this directly to you as they are now technically non-compliant on this government recall as they refuse to address the appropriate repair. Nissan is trying to "write this off" as a closed campaign as the shift knob was replaced prior to current owner taking possession(2012); even though a new independent dealer, not involved in original recall work;has recently stated that consumer should seek assistance under this recall from Nissan and that the car absolutely needs the shift assembly. Your website states that the knob and assembly should be replaced under this campaign( recall 12V032000)Nissan is refusing to cover this assembly (estimate attached)which was part of the original recall. Automatic shifter is currently unable to go into park. And is being parked in neutral which poses a significant safety risk. Nissan corporate Consumer Affairs was very "shady" about telling me "who I was speaking with, where they are located, operator id, name of rep, or any identifying information while speaking with the regional customer service person on the phone.the only information I was given was P3C as their "area" in franklin tn. Please advise or direct to contact in the Nissan recall area any assistance/direction with this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

- Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 212015

Versa

Upon pulling out of driveway onto busy highway RPM needle goes crazy when speed reaches 30 kph and when pressing on accelerator power is loss. Scared to drive car and I am a home health nurse so have no choice. A semi slammed on brakes to keep from hitting me from behind and was able to pull off road cause I was going down a hill.

- Pulaski, TN, USA

Oct 012015

Versa

I bought a 2012 Nissan Versa in 2012 brand new. I bought this car because of Nissan reliability and the car got great gas mileage. I had regular maintenance and service, but not at the dealership. In late September 2015 when the car had about 70,000 miles on it it started randomly jerking when driving. I took it in to the dealership and they told me the transmission had went out and it would cost me $3,500 for a new transmission with a 1 year warranty. The Versa has a cvt transmission and they said the fluid should have been changed at 60,000 miles and probably got to hot and broke down. The warranty was for 5 years or 60,000 miles. Here are my issues: I was never told when I purchased the car that the cvt transmission fluid needs changed every 60,000 miles. I was told after the transmission was ruined that it should be. I had the car in the dealership at 63,000 for a recall and no one mentioned it. I have driven for 25 years and never had to change transmission fluid in prior vehicles the car never had any kind of warning light to let me know there was a problem and I took it in almost immediately after this started happening. I found out that the cvt transmission is a known issues and in 2010 they were covered by a 6 year 120,000 miles warranty meaning someone who has a car 2 years older than mine still has a warranty. I drove this care every mile myself and I drove it like a 90 year old man. In the end I had to spend $4,004 on a new transmission on a 3 year old car. I made 2 cases to Nissan and a regional manager called me and said there is nothing Nissan can do. To me there is no logical explanation why the transmission went out, why there is no system that would let me know there is a problem before it is ruined, and why I was never informed that the fluid should be changed.

- Topeka, KS, USA

Jul 302015

Versa

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Versa. While accelerating from a stop, the vehicle hesitated to accelerate. The failure recurred multiple times. While driving at approximately 35 mph, the gear shifter shifted from drive to neutral independently. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 76,000.

- Livermore, CA, USA

Oct 022015

Versa

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Versa. After putting the transmission into park, the vehicle continued to roll forward. The failure occurred after the remedy for NHTSA campaign number: 12V03200 (power train) was performed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 72,400.

- Joliet, IL, USA