Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The Saturn Aura was a mid-size car meant to replace the somewhat problematic L-Series. Unfortunately, the Aura brought its own problems: namely cheap brake parts that needed early replacement and a gear shifter that could say it’s in park while the transmission was still engaged.

Brake problems, including uneven wear and warped rotors that cause the car to wobble, are common complaints from 2007 owners. Did GM use metal for its rotors that can’t stand the heat? That’s what some say, and it’s hard to argue when reports show that rotors could start to warp as early as 500 miles off the dealer lot.

Meanwhile, a busted gear shifter cable lead to some unwanted rollaways. That’s because the shifter could say “Park” while the transmission was still in drive, reverse or neutral. A defect investigation into the issue was opened in 2011, eventually leading to a recall of 56,000 vehicles in 2014.

2007 Saturn Aura miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Saturn Aura:

2007 Saturn Aura Owner Comments

Jan 012014

If you are driving in the rain going 70 suddenly the car will slow down to 25 mph because the drainage system shorts out the computer in the dashboard.

- Fort Thomas, KY, USA

Jul 192015

Travelling at 55 mph vehicle stalled sharply and jerked. It will drive but has no power.

- Amesbury, MA, USA

Jul 082014

Random error warning messages keep appearing on my display center, ie. Airbag needs service, door ajar, stability control needs service, etc. Overhead dome lights stay on until shut off by the battery saver after 20 min., these are caused by the malfunctioning "body control module".

- New Smyrna Beach, FL, USA

Sep 292014

My vehicle was taken to southern Chevrolet in alexandria, la to repair a recall on this vehicle and when the vehicle was released to me the panel on either side of the shift control had been ripped out and left in a condition it could not be replaced. My car has yet to be repaired. I have pictures of the damage left by tech. If you will furnish me an address to send them to.

- Alexandria,, LA, USA

Jul 012014

Aura 6-cyl

I received a recall notice July 2014. I called conte Chevy of freeport, NY, 516-623-9600, they advised me they would notify when the parts come in. I'm still waiting. Please advise what to do next thank you updated 3/15/2016

- Elmont , NY, USA

Nov 262011

Aura 6-cyl

Transmission shifter cable failed. Car at first would not shift into reverse, and later wouldn't go into park and could not be started. I am reporting this because this has happened with other 2007 Saturn Auras, and there have been several accidents involving problems with failure of the transmission shifter cable. Despite an active investigation NHTSA action number : EA11015, and articles in the news stating GM is offering free repairs for customers who experience this problem, GM said they had no information regarding this problem and would not cover the repair.

- Middletown, CT, USA

Jan 192011

I drove into my garage to park the car. I put the car in park and the shifter shifted very hard. I decided to back the car out of the garage and when I went to put the car in park the gear did not engage. In fact, no gear would engage and the only way I could stop my car was to put on the parking break. I had it towed to my local dealership and they informed me that the shifter cable was broken. I started researching this problem and found that there was a recall for this exact same problem on the 2008 and 2009 Saturn Aura models, but not on the 2007 models which is of course the one I have. Upon googling this problem it seems that there are several Saturn Aura 2007 model owners that have had this same problem.

- Rockford, MI, USA

Apr 282008

Aura 6-cyl

Driving a 2001 Saturn Aura xr about 30-35 mph when traffic in front of me was stopped, applied brakes, there were none. Hit vehicle in front of me at 30-35 mph and no air bags either.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA