NHTSA — Electronic Stability Control Problems

2008 Saturn Aura (Page 1 of 2) Notes: The 2008 Aura’s issues with brakes, such as worn out rotors, isn’t as severe as the prior model year, but let’s just not start awarding them any brake awards just yet. Does that even exist? “The Brakies”?

One thing the 2008 does share with the 2007 is a recall of a busted gear shifter cable which can make it look like your car is in park, when the transmission is still engaged. You can only imagine what kind of fun that causes.

2008 Saturn Aura brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Saturn Aura:

2008 Saturn Aura Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 092016

The cruise control in my 2008 Saturn Aura is not functioning. Service ESC and traction control lights flash on the dashboard intermittently. Brakes lights are on constantly, even when the brake is not applied. I took my car to a Saturn-approved Chevy dealer for service and referenced the NHTSA recall #14V252000 from 2014. The mechanics checked the scan data and found the brake pedal learned position data was erractic in the body control module and won't hold the settings. They checked the circuits and connections (and supposedly reperformed the 2014 recall repair) but concluded that the fault is in the BCM. They suggested replacing the BCM, at a cost of $600. I explained to the mechanic that I believe the failing BCM is due to the voltage fluctuations that prompted the recall, left the dealership, and called GM. A senior advisor at GM explained that they will not do anything about the apparent safety defect because the recall did not require replacement of the BCM.

- Worthington, OH, USA

Jan 262016

Saturn Aura 2008 tail lamp malfunction. I brought the vehicle to tustin GM for brake repair and brake light repair. I was told it was the brake light switch, I wasn't told anything about a recall. 2 weeks ago, I noticed my traction control, ESC and panic brake assistance were not working along with cruise control and a few other features. It occurred randomly after at least an hour of driving. I noticed after a few times this occurred my brake lights would illuminate while I was in park with the headlights off. I tested it, and they indeed turned off when I engaged my brakes, only to illuminate again when I disengaged my brakes. I was very nervous driving it home and had a few close calls on the city street stopping at stop lights. I brought this back to tustin GM's attention and they told me it's been corrected and it's now my responsibility to pay for the charges of fixing it. I refused and brought it to orange coast Buick GMC and Cadillac. They were unable to diagnose the issue and refused to believe that it had anything to do with the recall, wouldn't even check. I made a case with the manufacturer and they said my only option is to drive the unsafe vehicle until the problem occurs and then bring it into a dealer so they can find out the issue. They claim my problem does not correlate with the recall in any way shape or form, and have done everything short of calling me a liar. I now have a rental vehicle because I am depended on by my elders to bring them to and from appointments. I need my vehicle fixed, properly, and hopefully some type of cost assistance with the rental vehicle. The manufacturer also can't seem to tell me the exact date the recall was remedied. First they said January, then they said August. 763-228-4543.

- Coon Rapids, MN, USA

Sep 292015

Case # with GMC is 81598832107 9/30/15 was at left turn lane to go in my neighbor hood put in park to grab something of the floor when I put back into drive my car started to reverse. Put it back into park and then drive and the same thing. Lucky I had my neighbor behind me him and others help me push it to a safe zone very close to my house, pushed it half way on drive way and put in park and it rolled across the street while trying to stop it I put myleft foot down caused more pain due to me recent surgery. This car has been to GMC for the recall cable 3 times, this time they said they only place half of it and will now replace the whole cable. Was called on 9/30 5 hours at the shop and was told it was ready, I explained that I don't feel safe driving this car. Too many times for the same cable....I've also had a issue with the smell of gas coming from the car but could not see any fuel, so I took to a mechanic and had them look at it and said te top of the fuel pump was cracked I had them replace the whole pump...there was fuel leaking under my seat, I have now seen there is other Saturn Aura with the same problem. I don't feel safe driving this car this a big issue and if GMC and I can come to an agreement it will be easy agreement. I was really glad that I did no give this car to my young nephew who knows what would of happened......

- Sparks, NV, USA

Jan 012013

We have not been able to get our recalls repaired. We have only been able to get the brake sensor repaired. We are still having issues with the ESC sensors, speed control and power locks freaking out whenever they want. Every time we call the dealership we are being told that the parts are not available. This issue is getting worse and need to be corrected asap.

- Roseville, MI, USA

Jun 082015

My vehicle began with service traction illumination a couple of years ago. Took it into the GM elk grove dealership and they informed me that I had a bad catalic converter and fuel injection cleaning needed. Items were replaced and service completed. Within a couple/few years, my service traction light came back on with the check engine light and car began to stall, same issues as before. Took it back to GM elk grove dealership and they stated my catalic coverter needed to be replaced, my fuel tank, my air mass flow sensor replaced along with intake shaft sensor and another sensor. I fixed all items. Today not even 6 months later, my service traction light is back on, check engine light, and engine power reduced while driving on freeway. Speed reduced as low as 45miles per hour and when you come to a complete stop, car shakes.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

May 312013

I was driving in rush hour traffic on the interstate at approximately 25 mph. All of a sudden the power decreased on my vehicle and the engine light came on. In addition, the following messages kept appearing on the dash message screen: Service ESC.....service traction.....engine power reduced. When I was able to safely pull over, I turned off the engine and got out the owner's manual. However, I did not see anything about ESC in the index nor did I find a troubleshooting guide. I started the car back up and the messages were gone but the engine light was still on. I drove it home and kept a watch on all of the gauges/lights and it seemed okay although it felt like it was driving differently (less power), but it could have been my imagination. I am concerned because if I had been going faster someone could have ran into me from behind. Although this car is 7 years old, it was my elderly uncle's and only had 15,000 miles on it when he passed away. I have only put 3,000 miles on it so the car only has 18,000 miles on it. I already planned to take it into the dealership because the sunroof was leaking and it was repaired a few months ago; however, it is leaking again.

- Hurst, TX, USA

Jul 092014

Aura 6-cyl

2008 Saturn Aura. Consumer writes in regards to body control module connection system recall notice issues. The consumer stated she experienced a problem with the traction control warning light illuminating, prior to the recall. The consumer attached the recall notice.

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Mar 062015

Aura 4-cyl

My wife was driving to work on the highway. All of the sudden the check engine light came on. The car reduced engine power. A message came up on the display saying to service the traction control. I took the vehicle to a GM dealer. They said it was the throttle body position sensor. The exact same incident happened to an acquaintance the week before in her 2012 Chevy Malibu with the dealer determining the cause to also be the throttle body position sensor. The incident in my car almost caused my wife to be rear ended due to the dramatic speed change from going into limp mode all of the sudden at highway speed.

- North Huntingdon, PA, USA

May 012014

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Aura. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 5 mph, the vehicle jerked without warning. The failure recurred on several occasions. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 12V460000 (power train) and 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control) however, the parts to do the repairs were unavailable. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Mansfiled, MA, USA

Dec 102014

Aura 4-cyl

Was recalled for a electric power steering assist. Not even two months later the power steering system has completely failed. I cant even go a quarter mile down the will drive a little down the road and power steering will flash on the dash and turns are almost impossible. I have to shut the vehicle off and turn it back on. This is very dangerous especially if there isn't a place to pull over without making a turn. I called GM and they told me I would have to pay out of pocket to get it fixed and they would not reimburse me for what it costs.I don't think this is right considering that this was the one thing that they were supposed to fix I cant afford to fix it. I have put over two grand in this car all within a year. Mind you this is my only car and I cant get another one. I think that GM should take some responsibility and fix this because this could cost someone their life if they aren't willing to take care of this issue.

- Hendersonville, NC, USA

Aura 6-cyl

Regarding recall 13036. Performed at ed bozarth Chevrolet in Nevada on 9/2/2014. Vehicle is continuing to illuminate tell-tales "service traction, service ESC, traction control off & ESC off" approximately 96% of the time while driving. Lights will go off briefly when applying brakes but come back on after coming to a complete stop. As soon as the vehicle is started, the warning lights come on with audible warning as well. I returned to the dealer & they stated the recall was performed correctly. If it was, why are theses lights still coming on? prior to the recall, the lights came on, but in a different pattern. Currently, the lights go off when the vehicle is in reverse. Any assistance or advice would be much appreciated.

Aura 6-cyl

Update to complaint filed 08/04/2014; NHTSA id 10618873. Due to the fact I received a notice indicating my vehicle was involved in GM recall 13036 and my car is experiencing all of the problems as outlined in the recall, I took vehicle to a local dealer who informed me my vehicle was not included in the recall. The affected vehicles, according to the letter to you from Ms. Nancy lewis of General Motors dated May 28, 2014, 2008 Saturn vehicles manufactured from 04/24/2007 through 06/27/2008 are affected by this recall. My Saturn was manufactured in "08/07." Due to the fact the vehicle is experiencing every problem associated with the recall and it falls within the manufacture date, please outline, with specific information, why it not included in the recall. Thank you.

Aura 6-cyl

Vehicle is involved in GM safety recall #13036. The vehicle started, intermittently, displaying traction control and ecs tell-tail lights and not displaying brake lights when brakes applied. Approximately one month ago, the warning light indicators increased. For the last two weeks, the lights flash off and on continually and consistently every single day. In addition, the traction control off and ecs off tell-tail lights display consistently, as well. The lights are so consistent, I can only check my mileage when I turn off the engine. I am never sure if my brake lights are illuminating when I apply the brakes. The sound/notification informing driver when any warning is displayed, "door ajar, seat belts not fastened, trunk open, etc.," and sound from the on star and front stereo speakers is at a level so low a person with excellent hearing can barely here it. It is a barley audible "scratchy" noise. I am self-employed and use my car a great deal. I am very scared to drive my car and have limited my driving almost entirely which has seriously affected my business. I worked very hard to become a successful small business owner, which, as a result of this recall, is quickly declining. I took my vehicle to ed bozarth Chevrolet and was told it could be months and months before the parts became repair the vehicle. Are there any other alternatives you may be able to offer me" possibly a loaner vehicle" I do appreciate the fact GM stepped up and re-called the affected vehicles. Thank you for your attention and assistance to this matter.

Dec 022013

Experiencing issues with the ESC, transaction control sensors, and power locks. We have had the sensor in the gas pedal replaced without success. We are experiencing issues daily with our speed control, locks, and ESC and traction sensors. Contacted GM and they stated our vehicle is not on the recall list due to it being manufactured in NY. We need to get this resolved asap as we have a newborn on the way.

- Eastpointe, MI, USA

Mar 212014

My 2008 Saturn Aura, the brake lights would come on when I wasn't pressing the brakes, sometimes when I did press the brakes they wouldn't come on. Most people think I'm being silly when I tell them that. "well, how do you see them?" I work at night so most of my driving is done in the dark and I have pretty dark tinted windows, I could see the reflection plain as day. Even stopped and got out just to make sure. Couple days after I noticed the brake lights, I noticed to radio lights (radio buttons) were not working but when I rolled up the windows or adjusted the power seats they would flicker on and off super fast along with the dash board lights. My speakers when out soon after this. I called GM numerous times about these problems and there not willing to help at all. I'm sick to death by the thought that there just gonna get away with this. It's a problem that I think needs to be addressed very soon. I was driving to work last night and I noticed this burning smell kinda like burnt wires... all GM has to say about it is "I can help you find a local dealer but, we cannot pay for the charges. I don't have the money at the moment to fix it. It's like $200 for the test alone! I've called GM eight times in the past three months and there doing nothing. I need help!

- Amity, AR, USA

Jan 242013

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Aura xr (na). The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the brake lights illuminated erroneously. When the brake pedal was depressed, none of the brake lights illuminated. The stability traction control indicator illuminated. The manufacturer was notified. The dealer diagnosed the failure as carbon build-up and cleaned the carbon injectors but the failure recurred. The vehicle was returned to the dealer. The failure mileage was 62,000.

- Centerville, OH, USA

Jan 012014

Aura 4-cyl

I was driving down the highway about 6 am it there was some snow on the ground. As I was driving my traction control keep going on and off. At that time I didn't know why it keep going on and off. The only problem I thought I had was for my brake light to randomly come on. Which I didn't know it cause all other functions to completely go out. I wasn't going but 35mph when all of a sudden I was spinning and in the ditch. I grew up driving in the snow knowing to drive a front wheel drive car in the snow it's better than a rear. Not until this winter have I had a problem. In this incident I spun completely out of control nothing that I could do to try and prevent it. Yes I know the snow is not safe conditions to drive in. I have clean record not once have I been into a wreck nor had problems driving in the snow. I had to have tow truck get my car out of the ditch after leaving it there cause I was too cold to be in it. Now my drivers side back is dented and a huge catch down the car.

- Beckemeyer, IL, USA

Feb 152014

Aura 6-cyl

The brake light would illuminate without brake pedal being pressed. This happened on more than one occasion. Problems with the cruise control engagement. Problems with the traction control sensor coming on without cause.

- Aberdeen, NC, USA

Aug 142013

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Aura. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the brake lights illuminated without the brake pedal being depressed. Additionally, the contact lost control of the vehicle when traveling over a puddle, causing the vehicle to spin in partially into the direction of oncoming traffic. The service traction control warning light was illuminated. Also, the contact stated that the cruise control did not function properly. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, vehicle speed control). The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000.

- Katy, TX, USA

Oct 062012

Aura 6-cyl

First was door locks kept locking by itself resulting in dead battery. 2nd was traction light coming on at a stop light. 3rd was car alarm goes off when its not set. Most recently ESC active came on during light acceleration merging into traffic car would not get up to speed very nearly causing being rear ended by a semi. This happened 3 times luckily no one was killed. 5th the radio turns volume down by itself and you can hear computer or something electrical in dash. Dealer says no codes present. There may not be a code but all this is happening. Please help before someone is hurt or killed.

- Iva, SC, USA