NHTSA — Service Brakes Problems

2008 Saturn Aura (Page 1 of 3)

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2008 Aura’s issues with brakes, such as worn out rotors, isn’t as severe as the prior model year, but let’s just not start awarding them any brake awards just yet. Does that even exist? “The Brakies”?

One thing the 2008 does share with the 2007 is a recall of a busted gear shifter cable which can make it look like your car is in park, when the transmission is still engaged. You can only imagine what kind of fun that causes.

2008 Saturn Aura brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Saturn Aura:

2008 Saturn Aura Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Oct 072016

Aura

This is a repeat problem for a malfunction that was repaired by a dealer under recall # 13036. The brake lights are not working properly. They are on (lit) when the brake pedal is not depressed. When the driver presses on the brake pedal, the brake lights go off (dark). This is an obvious safety issue and continues to occur despite a previous recall repair.

- Brighton, MI, USA

Jun 272016

Aura

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Aura. While driving 40 mph, the traction and brake warning lights illuminated at 4 rpms. In addition, when the accelerator pedal was depressed, the vehicle failed to accelerate and the check engine warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- Salem, NH, USA

May 222016

Aura

Recall Oct 2014 for body control module BCM was fixed by dealer (reedman toll, langhorn, pa). About 3 weeks ago my car started doing the same thing. Brake lights go on for no reason (even if the car is parked with no one in it); touch break pedal lightly and brake lights go out; touch harder and they come back on. Riding down road message is displayed on dash "service traction" then "ESC off". this is exactly how it worked before the recall. It does this most days but not all. Sometimes the brakes lights work correctly. Sometimes when driving with the problem, the problem seems to correct itself after a while and then comes back (on the same trip). Called same dealer and they said they can only fix a recall once and that I would have to pay to have it fixed again. I ride the pa turnpike everyday and have notice several GM cars that have the same problem. Seems to me they put a band aid on it and never fixed it properly. This is a safety issue for the people behind me since they never know when my brakes are on or off.

- Levittown, PA, USA

Jan 262016

Aura

Saturn Aura 2008 tail lamp malfunction. I brought the vehicle to tustin GM for brake repair and brake light repair. I was told it was the brake light switch, I wasn't told anything about a recall. 2 weeks ago, I noticed my traction control, ESC and panic brake assistance were not working along with cruise control and a few other features. It occurred randomly after at least an hour of driving. I noticed after a few times this occurred my brake lights would illuminate while I was in park with the headlights off. I tested it, and they indeed turned off when I engaged my brakes, only to illuminate again when I disengaged my brakes. I was very nervous driving it home and had a few close calls on the city street stopping at stop lights. I brought this back to tustin GM's attention and they told me it's been corrected and it's now my responsibility to pay for the charges of fixing it. I refused and brought it to orange coast Buick GMC and Cadillac. They were unable to diagnose the issue and refused to believe that it had anything to do with the recall, wouldn't even check. I made a case with the manufacturer and they said my only option is to drive the unsafe vehicle until the problem occurs and then bring it into a dealer so they can find out the issue. They claim my problem does not correlate with the recall in any way shape or form, and have done everything short of calling me a liar. I now have a rental vehicle because I am depended on by my elders to bring them to and from appointments. I need my vehicle fixed, properly, and hopefully some type of cost assistance with the rental vehicle. The manufacturer also can't seem to tell me the exact date the recall was remedied. First they said January, then they said August. 763-228-4543.

- Coon Rapids, MN, USA

Sep 072015

Aura

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Aura. While driving at any speed, the cruise control failed. Additionally, the brake light illuminated without the brake pedal being depressed. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but the cause of the failure could not be determined. The contact received a recall notice for the brakes a few months later and the vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 72,000.

- Canal Point, FL, USA

Dec 132015

Aura

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Aura. While parked, the brake lights failed to illuminate when activated. The failure occurred constantly. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that brake apply sensor circuit failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Haughton, LA, USA

May 042015

Aura

I was parked in my driveway and I had my foot on the brake, I noticed I could not see the brakes lights illuminating. I had my friend push the brake pedal and I got out and looked at the brake lights. All three brake lights are not illuminating when the pedal is pressed. If the car is running they still do not work, just the led's in the tail light assembly get brighter when the pedal is pressed. We have recently taken the Aura to the GM dealer for the BCM recall, they put in a spacer and added di-electric grease. It was functioning properly since the recall. On May 4th I realized the brake lights were no longer working. Also the power locks work intermittently on the car. Some days the locks work, other days they don't (very erratic).

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jul 212011

Aura 4-cyl

The brake lights on my car engage and disengage in no relation to the brake pedal being depressed. While driving, the brake lights will illuminate on their own and turn off when the brake pedal is pushed. Sometimes, the brake lights will turn off if the brake pedal is pulled up in the opposite direction. Repairs have been attempted on the following occurrences: July 21, 2011, July 27, 2011, August 21, 2012, March, 29, 2013, September 24, 2014, November 19, 2014. Repairs have included the following: Brake light switch replaced (2 times); dielectric grease applied to BCM connectors (approximately 12 times); cruise control switches replaced; brake pedal home position recalibrated (2 times). The issue still has yet to be resolved, despite it being included in a GM recall from August 2014 number 13036, and having it twice been attempted under said recall. The GM dealership to which this car has been brought for the recall, colonial Buick Pontiac GMC in watertown, MA claims that they have done everything under the terms of the recall and if the problem persists than it must be paid by the customer. This is antithetical to the purpose of the recall, which is to fix the problem, despite the terms of the recall not fully addressing the error. The service people at the dealership claim that what should be fixed next is replacing the brake light switch, despite that having been replaced twice. The GM recall is not fully addressing the problem, and I, as the customer, should not be expected to pay for any costs associated with fixing the malfunctioning brake lights.

- Cambridge, MA, USA

Feb 032014

Aura 6-cyl

Update to complaint filed 08/04/2014; NHTSA id 10618873. Due to the fact I received a notice indicating my vehicle was involved in GM recall 13036 and my car is experiencing all of the problems as outlined in the recall, I took vehicle to a local dealer who informed me my vehicle was not included in the recall. The affected vehicles, according to the letter to you from Ms. Nancy lewis of General Motors dated May 28, 2014, 2008 Saturn vehicles manufactured from 04/24/2007 through 06/27/2008 are affected by this recall. My Saturn was manufactured in "08/07." Due to the fact the vehicle is experiencing every problem associated with the recall and it falls within the manufacture date, please outline, with specific information, why it not included in the recall. Thank you.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Apr 132013

Aura

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Aura. The contact stated that while driving various speeds, the power steering and brakes failed. The vehicle would also jerk and fail to accelerate. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Feb 032014

Aura 6-cyl

Vehicle is involved in GM safety recall #13036. The vehicle started, intermittently, displaying traction control and ecs tell-tail lights and not displaying brake lights when brakes applied. Approximately one month ago, the warning light indicators increased. For the last two weeks, the lights flash off and on continually and consistently every single day. In addition, the traction control off and ecs off tell-tail lights display consistently, as well. The lights are so consistent, I can only check my mileage when I turn off the engine. I am never sure if my brake lights are illuminating when I apply the brakes. The sound/notification informing driver when any warning is displayed, "door ajar, seat belts not fastened, trunk open, etc.," and sound from the on star and front stereo speakers is at a level so low a person with excellent hearing can barely here it. It is a barley audible "scratchy" noise. I am self-employed and use my car a great deal. I am very scared to drive my car and have limited my driving almost entirely which has seriously affected my business. I worked very hard to become a successful small business owner, which, as a result of this recall, is quickly declining. I took my vehicle to ed bozarth Chevrolet and was told it could be months and months before the parts became available.to repair the vehicle. Are there any other alternatives you may be able to offer me" possibly a loaner vehicle" I do appreciate the fact GM stepped up and re-called the affected vehicles. Thank you for your attention and assistance to this matter.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Aug 242013

Aura 6-cyl

I had to replace both rear calipers due to leaking brake fluid.

- Lockport, NY, USA

Jul 152014

Aura

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Aura. The contact received a notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control) and stated that the part needed was unable to perform the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Goose Creek , SC, USA

Jul 102014

Aura 4-cyl

As I was driving to work after being in the car for no more than 15 minutes, my rear brake lamp went on while I was driving and would only shut off if I tapped on the brake pedal. Also my cruise control would not engage. This has continued to happen ever since. I feel this is a very serious safety hazard especially in traffic and the drivers behind me do not know when I am actually coming to a stop! ironically, we received a recall notice last week regarding this problem. I have contacted both a local dealer and GM directly and neither party can tell me when the repairs will be made as there are no parts available. I am feeling extremely frustrated and helpless. There is also a recall out there # 14118 for loss of power steering dated last month and still have heard nothing further on this issue.

- Babson Park, FL, USA

Jul 212014

Aura 6-cyl

My brake lights come on when I don't use them and go off when the brakes are applied. I've had the car in three times to get this problem fixed and it needs to go again!

- Oxford, NJ, USA

Feb 042014

Aura 4-cyl

Brake lights are always on and my cruise control stopped working. The brake lights are a fairly large safety concern and I've read articles online that lead me to believe I'm not the only one dealing with this problem. Read something about faulty wiring causing problems with the cruise control and brake light...

- Lansing, MI, USA

May 122014

Aura

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Aura. The contact stated that the brake lights failed to illuminate when the brakes were engaged. The contact mentioned that the brake lights would remain illuminated while in park or while driving. The manufacturer advised that the vehicle was not included in recall NHTSA campaign number 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage 73,985 was and the current mileage was 74,000.

- Dayton , OH, USA

Feb 132014

Aura

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Aura. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph at night time, the brake lights illuminated without the brake pedal being depressed. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 102,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Amity , AR, USA

Mar 212014

Aura

My 2008 Saturn Aura, the brake lights would come on when I wasn't pressing the brakes, sometimes when I did press the brakes they wouldn't come on. Most people think I'm being silly when I tell them that. "well, how do you see them?" I work at night so most of my driving is done in the dark and I have pretty dark tinted windows, I could see the reflection plain as day. Even stopped and got out just to make sure. Couple days after I noticed the brake lights, I noticed to radio lights (radio buttons) were not working but when I rolled up the windows or adjusted the power seats they would flicker on and off super fast along with the dash board lights. My speakers when out soon after this. I called GM numerous times about these problems and there not willing to help at all. I'm sick to death by the thought that there just gonna get away with this. It's a problem that I think needs to be addressed very soon. I was driving to work last night and I noticed this burning smell kinda like burnt wires... all GM has to say about it is "I can help you find a local dealer but, we cannot pay for the charges. I don't have the money at the moment to fix it. It's like $200 for the test alone! I've called GM eight times in the past three months and there doing nothing. I need help!

- Amity, AR, USA

Jan 242013

Aura

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Aura xr (na). The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the brake lights illuminated erroneously. When the brake pedal was depressed, none of the brake lights illuminated. The stability traction control indicator illuminated. The manufacturer was notified. The dealer diagnosed the failure as carbon build-up and cleaned the carbon injectors but the failure recurred. The vehicle was returned to the dealer. The failure mileage was 62,000.

- Centerville, OH, USA