Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2008 Aura’s issues with brakes, such as worn out rotors, isn’t as severe as the prior model year, but let’s just not start awarding them any brake awards just yet. Does that even exist? “The Brakies”?

One thing the 2008 does share with the 2007 is a recall of a busted gear shifter cable which can make it look like your car is in park, when the transmission is still engaged. You can only imagine what kind of fun that causes.

2008 Saturn Aura electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Saturn Aura:

2008 Saturn Aura Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Feb 032014

Aura 6-cyl

Update to complaint filed 08/04/2014; NHTSA id 10618873. Due to the fact I received a notice indicating my vehicle was involved in GM recall 13036 and my car is experiencing all of the problems as outlined in the recall, I took vehicle to a local dealer who informed me my vehicle was not included in the recall. The affected vehicles, according to the letter to you from Ms. Nancy lewis of General Motors dated May 28, 2014, 2008 Saturn vehicles manufactured from 04/24/2007 through 06/27/2008 are affected by this recall. My Saturn was manufactured in "08/07." Due to the fact the vehicle is experiencing every problem associated with the recall and it falls within the manufacture date, please outline, with specific information, why it not included in the recall. Thank you.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jul 012014

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Aura. The contact received recall notices for NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control) and 14V153000 (steering) however, the parts needed for the repairs were unavailable. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Summerville, SC, USA

Feb 032014

Aura 6-cyl

Vehicle is involved in GM safety recall #13036. The vehicle started, intermittently, displaying traction control and ecs tell-tail lights and not displaying brake lights when brakes applied. Approximately one month ago, the warning light indicators increased. For the last two weeks, the lights flash off and on continually and consistently every single day. In addition, the traction control off and ecs off tell-tail lights display consistently, as well. The lights are so consistent, I can only check my mileage when I turn off the engine. I am never sure if my brake lights are illuminating when I apply the brakes. The sound/notification informing driver when any warning is displayed, "door ajar, seat belts not fastened, trunk open, etc.," and sound from the on star and front stereo speakers is at a level so low a person with excellent hearing can barely here it. It is a barley audible "scratchy" noise. I am self-employed and use my car a great deal. I am very scared to drive my car and have limited my driving almost entirely which has seriously affected my business. I worked very hard to become a successful small business owner, which, as a result of this recall, is quickly declining. I took my vehicle to ed bozarth Chevrolet and was told it could be months and months before the parts became repair the vehicle. Are there any other alternatives you may be able to offer me" possibly a loaner vehicle" I do appreciate the fact GM stepped up and re-called the affected vehicles. Thank you for your attention and assistance to this matter.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jul 152014

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Aura. The contact received a notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control) and stated that the part needed was unable to perform the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Goose Creek , SC, USA

Jul 102014

Aura 4-cyl

As I was driving to work after being in the car for no more than 15 minutes, my rear brake lamp went on while I was driving and would only shut off if I tapped on the brake pedal. Also my cruise control would not engage. This has continued to happen ever since. I feel this is a very serious safety hazard especially in traffic and the drivers behind me do not know when I am actually coming to a stop! ironically, we received a recall notice last week regarding this problem. I have contacted both a local dealer and GM directly and neither party can tell me when the repairs will be made as there are no parts available. I am feeling extremely frustrated and helpless. There is also a recall out there # 14118 for loss of power steering dated last month and still have heard nothing further on this issue.

- Babson Park, FL, USA

Jul 222014

Aura 6-cyl

I was sitting at a red light when all of a sudden all my dashboard lights/radio etc. Went out (I always have them on) I actually thought the car died. (which it did not) I played around with the inside dimmer switch and the lights came back on and I drove off. But it got me thinking about the latest recall that I have on this car. Recall no. 13036. I actually spoke to someone at your place yesterday (reference no. 663360) since I was leary of driving a vehicle with a recall as such. I was given GM phone no. And upon speaking with them they still do not know when the part will become available and told me that they would not approve me for a loaner car. So if any of this recall should happen it certainly imposes the risk of a crash. I do much highway driving (everyday for work) so if I drive and my brakes do not come on I cannot imagine the impact at 65mph in a rear end collision. I am so nervous about driving this car. How can I get them to approve a loaner until the parts are available and I can actually get a appointment with dealership. Thank you for any input you can give me.

- Egg Harbor Township, NJ, USA

Jun 022012

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Aura. The contact stated that the brake lights and rear window brake light would illuminate and dim intermittently. The brake lights failed to illuminate when the brake pedal was depressed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer more than four times, but the failure could not be remedied. The rear brakes were calibrated several times, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was excluded from NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (service brakes, hydraulic). The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Dec 022013

Experiencing issues with the ESC, transaction control sensors, and power locks. We have had the sensor in the gas pedal replaced without success. We are experiencing issues daily with our speed control, locks, and ESC and traction sensors. Contacted GM and they stated our vehicle is not on the recall list due to it being manufactured in NY. We need to get this resolved asap as we have a newborn on the way.

- Eastpointe, MI, USA

Jul 092014

Power door locks fail to unlock. This is now the second time this has happened. First occurrence it was fixed under warranty. Power door lock mech fails to unlock on door, this will sometimes cause door to not unlock. Concern is in a accident, you may not be able to exit car. Manufacture seems to know this happens.

- Russiaville, IN, USA

Jun 022014

2008 Saturn Aura. Consumer writes in regards to ignition switch problems. The consumer stated while driving on the highway, the vehicle suddenly stopped. The consumer stated his vehicle, was not on the recalled list, but should be.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Nov 012013

During the winter of 2013 I started noticing my doors weren't always locking automatically when shifting from park into drive as they were supposed to. Then I had an incident in which I parked my car at a mall and couldn't restart (because it was stuck in gear) it but after trying to start the ignition and switching gears I was able to start it again after a few minutes. These events soon lead up to my shifter malfunctioning and the car getting stuck in drive while I was trying to park it on a city street. I was no longer able to shift gears and once turning the car off I could not restart it. After doing some research, I found out about the recall involving the shifter cable tab however, I was never notified by GM. In fact, when I contacted GM I was told that my VIN was not apart of this recall. Both the dealer and GM said I would have to pay for the replacement even though it was a known fact that there were a substantial amount of cars that had this same problem. Eventually the dealer told me that there was a "loophole" that would allow them to replace the part free of charge due to this recall. The fact that I wasn't notified and initially given a hard time by GM is very alarming.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Mar 212014

My 2008 Saturn Aura, the brake lights would come on when I wasn't pressing the brakes, sometimes when I did press the brakes they wouldn't come on. Most people think I'm being silly when I tell them that. "well, how do you see them?" I work at night so most of my driving is done in the dark and I have pretty dark tinted windows, I could see the reflection plain as day. Even stopped and got out just to make sure. Couple days after I noticed the brake lights, I noticed to radio lights (radio buttons) were not working but when I rolled up the windows or adjusted the power seats they would flicker on and off super fast along with the dash board lights. My speakers when out soon after this. I called GM numerous times about these problems and there not willing to help at all. I'm sick to death by the thought that there just gonna get away with this. It's a problem that I think needs to be addressed very soon. I was driving to work last night and I noticed this burning smell kinda like burnt wires... all GM has to say about it is "I can help you find a local dealer but, we cannot pay for the charges. I don't have the money at the moment to fix it. It's like $200 for the test alone! I've called GM eight times in the past three months and there doing nothing. I need help!

- Amity, AR, USA

Jan 282014

Aura 4-cyl

Back in Jan 2014 car was put in park at shopping mall parking lot engine shut off exited vehicle security system engaged with remote I was having dinner when police came in to asked who owned the Saturn Aura and that my car was in the middle of the road this was the beginning of the issues. Automatic door locks constantly lock and unlock while driving and while car has been off for hours. Automatic start malfunctioned now car will not start at all even with using the key.

- Hopatcong, NJ, USA

Jun 052013

Aura 6-cyl

Right rear lock stopped working, replaced it, then left rear stopped working, now drivers door locking part time, so that will soon stop. On 5/25/14 when driving on highway entire instrument panel stopped working. After key was turned off and removed it reset. Thank you

- Beggs, OK, USA

Mar 102014

Aura 6-cyl

My vehicle losses power steering at low speeds. When accelerating or at full speed, the steering is fine. I had my vehicle checked. The power steering fluid remains full. I have trouble getting in and out of parking spaces, the manual steering is very tough to use.

- South Holland, IL, USA

Oct 062012

Aura 6-cyl

First was door locks kept locking by itself resulting in dead battery. 2nd was traction light coming on at a stop light. 3rd was car alarm goes off when its not set. Most recently ESC active came on during light acceleration merging into traffic car would not get up to speed very nearly causing being rear ended by a semi. This happened 3 times luckily no one was killed. 5th the radio turns volume down by itself and you can hear computer or something electrical in dash. Dealer says no codes present. There may not be a code but all this is happening. Please help before someone is hurt or killed.

- Iva, SC, USA

Oct 182013

Aura 6-cyl

Brake lights come on when peddle is not pressed, also the cuts the cruise off without warning.

- Empire, CO, USA

Nov 082013

I have had my car for about 1 year now and I have been having issues with it since I left the dealer ship. The car has begun to give me a traction control light, engine power reduced light, and check engine light. I was driving down the road trying to get to work when I came up to a hill. I started going up the hill as usual and the car all of sudden lost all power. It would not go above 45 miles per hour and was struggling to do even that. It took me about 10 minutes to get the hill where I shut my car off and waited about 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes I turned my car back on and it functioned as normal. If there is a problem going on in the car why would be cleared after 10 minutes of being off? this car needs to be recalled before someone doesn't see that the Aura in front of them in being forced by the computer to slow down. The break lights do not come on when this occurs. I had to shut my car off 3 times just to make it 5 miles where I could get it looked at. The power steering in my car is also whacked out. I will be driving down the road and it will start turning the wheel back and forth. I have seen this happen in older cars, it is usually caused by a bad U joint. In this particular case it is not. After this occurred I slowed down and pulled over on the side of the road and placed my car in park. The steering was still shaking back and forth rapidly. I have taken it to many dealers and asked if they could determine a cause. All of them have said the same thing, "I have never seen that happen before". I wish I would have looked into all of the reviews about this car before I bought it. There are hundreds of instances of this happen to Aura owners and I think it time GM pays for it!

- Mears, MI, USA

Nov 012012

Aura 6-cyl

My car has been serviced at the dealer numerous times, for the following issues. Service lights would come on I.e. engine, traction, air bags, tire pressure, etc. The remote on the car stopped working, and the door locks would open and shut on their own at various times while driving. I continuously have to manually lock the car. On a total of 3 occasions my car would not start. I cut the car off and went to start it again and it would not start at all. While driving the car I came to a complete stop, the car was in drive and as I accelerated the car moved in reverse. Oil leaking. I have taken this car to the shop multiple times within the last few months. Please note it is currently sitting from the last time it would not start. I have receipts totaling over $3,000 for this car in a short period. I took it to the dealership, only to have to take it back a month later and was told I need a new battery. On another occasion when it stopped I had just gotten the car out of the shop and 2 days later it stopped running. I paid for a tow and went to pick it up from the dealer who could find nothing wrong. Then the next week it stopped running again, where it is sitting now. Updated 03/07/14 updated 03/18/2014*

- Chicago, IL, USA

Sep 222013

The ESC traction light flashed on and off randomly, then the check airbag light flashed on and off randomly and fuel tank and the engine gauges going up then back down to zero. And now the security system has "locked up" and will not disengage. I found a website ( ) lots of people having the same exact issue, many start with changing out to a new battery, then the stater and then the alternator only to have this issue continue and costing them a small fortune. It seems there is a problem with the computer control panel having a malfunction or short. But since Saturn no longer exists, GM is not doing a recall even though they are very much aware of the problem. I had my car towed into the local GM dealership to diagnosis / repair this morning. They just called me back saying that the "under bus electric center" has shorted out / malfunctioned? because it's not getting any power to it when they tested it. After reading all the posts on the above website, it appears to be the same issue. The point in filing a complaint is that #1) GM is well aware of the computer panel shorting out / being defective as there are more than a 100 reports. And #2) as someone else had posted, does it take this issue happening while a person is driving the car, be involved in an accident and dying before any type of investigation or recall is enforced" and if an accident happens, would the computer control panel even be tested? or would the accident be attributed to some other cause like driver error or weather conditions or worn out tires? how does anyone know that this issue hasn't caused accidents"

- The Colony, TX, USA