Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2008 Aura’s issues with brakes, such as worn out rotors, isn’t as severe as the prior model year, but let’s just not start awarding them any brake awards just yet. Does that even exist? “The Brakies”?

One thing the 2008 does share with the 2007 is a recall of a busted gear shifter cable which can make it look like your car is in park, when the transmission is still engaged. You can only imagine what kind of fun that causes.

2008 Saturn Aura electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Saturn Aura:

2008 Saturn Aura Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Aug 092016

The cruise control in my 2008 Saturn Aura is not functioning. Service ESC and traction control lights flash on the dashboard intermittently. Brakes lights are on constantly, even when the brake is not applied. I took my car to a Saturn-approved Chevy dealer for service and referenced the NHTSA recall #14V252000 from 2014. The mechanics checked the scan data and found the brake pedal learned position data was erractic in the body control module and won't hold the settings. They checked the circuits and connections (and supposedly reperformed the 2014 recall repair) but concluded that the fault is in the BCM. They suggested replacing the BCM, at a cost of $600. I explained to the mechanic that I believe the failing BCM is due to the voltage fluctuations that prompted the recall, left the dealership, and called GM. A senior advisor at GM explained that they will not do anything about the apparent safety defect because the recall did not require replacement of the BCM.

- Worthington, OH, USA

Feb 092016

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Aura. While driving various speeds, the vehicle stalled and the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was restarted. In addition, the contact mentioned that an abnormal sound emitted from the vehicle and it locked and unlocked independently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 112,000.

- Millersburg, PA, USA

Mar 012016

While driving, the door locks engage and disengage repeatedly. The key fob doesn't work at all, the doors have to be manually locked / unlocked.however they will unlock / lock on their own while sitting in the driveway.

- Columbia, TN, USA

May 042016

I recently bought my dad's 2008 Saturn Aura. Almost immediately I noticed that my brake lights would go on without me pressing the pedal and that at times my brake light would not go on when I was pressing on the pedal. I did some research and found that the cars had been recalled (14V252000) in 2014 for this issue. My dad had brought the car in in Oct 2014 for this recall and it was supposedly fixed. The dealer has said they cannot help me as the recall is not under warranty. I am now going to have to pay hundreds to fix something that should have been fixed years ago. This is a huge safety issue!

- Shakopee, MN, USA

Feb 252016

Takata recall power locks continuously locking and unlocking, whether the car is in motion or stationary. Had instance where door would not unlock on drivers side from outside or inside. Extreme safety hazard.

- Greenfield, IN, USA

Dec 012015

Power locks out of control, continuously locking and unlocking, whether the car is in motion or stationary. Power locks are very disturbing/distracting, clicking on and off while driving.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Aug 252015

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Aura. The contact stated that the recall repair of the electrical system caused other parts of the vehicle to fail. The front doors unlocked by themselves, the trunk would not unlock, and the rear doors would not unlock when using the automatic key. Furthermore, the engine light sensor illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer to be repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The failure mileage was 88,000.

- Joliet , IL, USA

Jan 012013

We have not been able to get our recalls repaired. We have only been able to get the brake sensor repaired. We are still having issues with the ESC sensors, speed control and power locks freaking out whenever they want. Every time we call the dealership we are being told that the parts are not available. This issue is getting worse and need to be corrected asap.

- Roseville, MI, USA

Jun 082015

My vehicle began with service traction illumination a couple of years ago. Took it into the GM elk grove dealership and they informed me that I had a bad catalic converter and fuel injection cleaning needed. Items were replaced and service completed. Within a couple/few years, my service traction light came back on with the check engine light and car began to stall, same issues as before. Took it back to GM elk grove dealership and they stated my catalic coverter needed to be replaced, my fuel tank, my air mass flow sensor replaced along with intake shaft sensor and another sensor. I fixed all items. Today not even 6 months later, my service traction light is back on, check engine light, and engine power reduced while driving on freeway. Speed reduced as low as 45miles per hour and when you come to a complete stop, car shakes.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Nov 142014

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Aura. The contact stated that the four interior power door locks unlocked and locked continuously with a clicking sound. The failure occurred whether the vehicle was in operation or parked. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Enid, MS, USA

May 042015

I was parked in my driveway and I had my foot on the brake, I noticed I could not see the brakes lights illuminating. I had my friend push the brake pedal and I got out and looked at the brake lights. All three brake lights are not illuminating when the pedal is pressed. If the car is running they still do not work, just the led's in the tail light assembly get brighter when the pedal is pressed. We have recently taken the Aura to the GM dealer for the BCM recall, they put in a spacer and added di-electric grease. It was functioning properly since the recall. On May 4th I realized the brake lights were no longer working. Also the power locks work intermittently on the car. Some days the locks work, other days they don't (very erratic).

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jul 092014

Aura 6-cyl

2008 Saturn Aura. Consumer writes in regards to body control module connection system recall notice issues. The consumer stated she experienced a problem with the traction control warning light illuminating, prior to the recall. The consumer attached the recall notice.

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Sep 042014

While driving, the door locks engage and disengage repeatedly. Fuse continually blew. Had to pay for a body control module repair, only to have another BCM repair pursuant to a recall regarding the brake lights. Dealer said the repairs were distinct and would not refund for the door lock repair. Currently, the door locks still do not work as expected, as the passenger side rear door does not respond to any electrical signal to open or close.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Mar 112015

Aura 6-cyl

The body control module recall repair was completed but now the rear lights do not illuminate when the headlights are on. Although the brake lights now work as intended, there are no other lights working on the rear of the vehicle.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Mar 062015

Aura 4-cyl

My wife was driving to work on the highway. All of the sudden the check engine light came on. The car reduced engine power. A message came up on the display saying to service the traction control. I took the vehicle to a GM dealer. They said it was the throttle body position sensor. The exact same incident happened to an acquaintance the week before in her 2012 Chevy Malibu with the dealer determining the cause to also be the throttle body position sensor. The incident in my car almost caused my wife to be rear ended due to the dramatic speed change from going into limp mode all of the sudden at highway speed.

- North Huntingdon, PA, USA

Dec 102014

Aura 4-cyl

Was recalled for a electric power steering assist. Not even two months later the power steering system has completely failed. I cant even go a quarter mile down the will drive a little down the road and power steering will flash on the dash and turns are almost impossible. I have to shut the vehicle off and turn it back on. This is very dangerous especially if there isn't a place to pull over without making a turn. I called GM and they told me I would have to pay out of pocket to get it fixed and they would not reimburse me for what it costs.I don't think this is right considering that this was the one thing that they were supposed to fix I cant afford to fix it. I have put over two grand in this car all within a year. Mind you this is my only car and I cant get another one. I think that GM should take some responsibility and fix this because this could cost someone their life if they aren't willing to take care of this issue.

- Hendersonville, NC, USA

Oct 132014

• 1,050,000 miles
After getting all the recalls on my car fixed I assumed it would stop the steering wheel of my car from moving by itself. Wrong. My steering wheel still moves by itself, happens when I'm stopped, parked, driving above 50 or below 20. The steering wheel itself feels jerky. Doesn't feel smooth or tight. I'm assuming because of the recall of the steering wheel module it somehow affected other parts of the steering but that's not a recall yet. I don't feel safe driving this car. I'm afraid to drive it especially on the highways. The problem of losing power steering might of been fixed but what about the steering shaking and moving by itself" there's other people with this problem, there's you tube videos of it. When will this be recalled" probably not until someone likes me crashes because of it.

- Spring Lake, NC, USA

Feb 032014

Aura 6-cyl

Regarding recall 13036. Performed at ed bozarth Chevrolet in Nevada on 9/2/2014. Vehicle is continuing to illuminate tell-tales "service traction, service ESC, traction control off & ESC off" approximately 96% of the time while driving. Lights will go off briefly when applying brakes but come back on after coming to a complete stop. As soon as the vehicle is started, the warning lights come on with audible warning as well. I returned to the dealer & they stated the recall was performed correctly. If it was, why are theses lights still coming on? prior to the recall, the lights came on, but in a different pattern. Currently, the lights go off when the vehicle is in reverse. Any assistance or advice would be much appreciated.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

May 012012

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Aura. While driving approximately 35 mph, all four doors on the vehicle unlocked without warning. The failure occurred multiple times. The dealer stated that all four door actuators and the two front door locks needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 30,000.

- Palo Alto , CA, USA

Feb 032014

Aura 6-cyl

On 9/2/2014 I took car to ed bozarth Chevrolet to have service on recall 13036. My car was returned with no change in the problem; "service traction control, traction control off, service ecs & ecs off" tell-tales lights were still illuminating consistently. The invoice indicated they fixed the following under the recall; 1) A06396 adh promoter, 2) 13596990 (s) clip 3) 13596991 (s) retainer 4) 15188763 (s) retainer 5) 11509086 (s) strap and "108420 campaign 13036 performed BCM & bpps harness & connector repair." The invoice indicated I declined service on "ses light and traction control diagnosis also shocks, struts, engine leak diagnosis, broken panel replacement 1064 C." the best part was they told me I needed to have my oil changed, which I personally did 3 days prior to bringing the car in! they shattered the fuse compartment cover located inside the vehicle, tried to glue it back with a blue colored glue which did not work and then indicated on the invoice I declined having the broken panel replaced at a charge of $86. All they wanted to do was sell me service which was not needed. I asked the service adviser if a blown or missing fuse could cause the tell-tales lights to illuminate and he said no. When I returned home yesterday, I looked at the fuse compartment and found one bad fuse and one missing fuse. After replacing them, the check engine light went off for the first time in over 3 months. I did still receive one "traction control service and one service ecs" light. I am going to return to dealer today to attempt to have them remedy the issues. A follow up complaint will be written in an effort to assist. Thank you.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA