Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2008 Aura’s issues with brakes, such as worn out rotors, isn’t as severe as the prior model year, but let’s just not start awarding them any brake awards just yet. Does that even exist? “The Brakies”?

One thing the 2008 does share with the 2007 is a recall of a busted gear shifter cable which can make it look like your car is in park, when the transmission is still engaged. You can only imagine what kind of fun that causes.

2008 Saturn Aura lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Saturn Aura:

2008 Saturn Aura Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Apr 192013

Aura 6-cyl

First, let me start by saying that I traded-in for my 2008 Saturn Aura in April 2011. Since that time, I have had continuous problems with the car. Today, my car is in the shop to fix the brake lights, cruise control, and traction/ESC. Brake lights: On my way home Friday, a concerned citizen had me role down my window en route to tell me that my brake lights stay on the entire time I am driving. After this warning, I did some investigation - sure enough, the lights engage when the brake is not being pushed. Worse yet, the brake lights go off when the brake is pushed. Thank goodness for the person who alerted me to this. Truthfully, I am lucky that I did not get rear-ended or get a ticket. I truly hope the brake light issue is recalled because it is very dangerous. Cruise control: My cruise control does not work all the time. Sometimes it works; sometimes it engages then randomly disengages; sometimes it just plain does engage at all. I can live without cruise control; however, I really don't think this should be happening, as the vehicle is not that old and is very well maintained. Traction/ESC: Occasionally, my dash will display a warning that says "service traction, service ESC, ESC off." It doesn't do this everyday. It just displays the warning at random times - I cannot distinguish a pattern. Overall, I am very displeased with how this vehicle functions. Not only does it cost me money to fix, it takes time out of my day - I get paid hourly at my job. My main concern is the brakes lights, as someone could get seriously hurt, and the problem is very difficult to detect unless another motorist warns you or you do night driving (which I do not). Thank you for hearing me out - I really appreciate it!

- Gibsonburg, OH, USA

Apr 112013

Aura 6-cyl

This is my second complaint on here for the same brake light issue. I had trouble with my car brake lights working backwards (on when driving, off when braking) about two years ago, had them fixed and they worked for about eight months and then stopped working again. I took them to a certified GM service station on 4/5/2013 to have them fixed for the second time. I picked up my car from said repairs on 4/8/2013 to only find that on 4/11/13 the brake lights were working backwards again. I took my vehicle back to the same GM service station to have them re-re-repaired on 4/13/13 and picked the car up the same day. On 4/14/13 I am having the same problem with the lights working backwards less than 24 hours after they were supposed to be fixed for the 3rd time! so I will take my car back to the GM center on 4/15/15 to have the brake lights re-re-re-re repaired. The certified service center closest to me is about 30 miles away so everytime I go to get them fixed two vehicles have to drive the round trip (1 vehicle twice and my vehicle once). It is ridiculous to have to pay the exorbitant gas prices because the people at GM are apparently icopatent (which has been corroborated by there inability to make a safety related repair) the us government must force GM to recall the vehicles affected by these faulty break lights and force them to find a solution that will fix the potential dangerous problem. The thing irritating me most is that they are not even trying to find a problem that will actualy correct the faulty equipment. At this point I will even be willing to pay for the repairs if they will just find a permenant solution! signed, very upset with the quality of american made vehicles!

- Hawesville, KY, USA

Apr 092013

Aura 4-cyl

I purchased my 2008 Saturn Aura in May 2012. I started noticing that my brake light in rear window would come on by itself without braking and would stay on for periods of time. A T first it didn't bother me, but lately it has become frequent. The light would come on and stay on even when cranking the car up. It also comes on while driving, doesn't matter the speed limit it still comes on and stays on for a period of time. It is very misleading because in the middle of flowing traffic the light will come on giving the driver behind me the impression that I am breaking. Also when the light is illuminated, cruise control does not work. I am very concerned for my safety and others safety at this point because it happens so frequently and I have had a driver to become very irate with me because of my brake light coming on giving the impression that I am braking. I am hoping that this issue be thoroughly investigated. Thank you

- Jackson, MS, USA

Oct 072011

Aura 6-cyl

About two years ago I noticed intermittent issues with my brake lights. They would be on when I was not pushing the brake, and then they would turn off when I applied pressure to the brake. I got this problem corrected at a certified GM service center. To my knowledge (without the repair report available) they applied grease to a part of the vehicle as described in the service bulletin. That worked for about eight months and now I am having the same problem again with my brake lights, so clearly the service bulletin issued by GM is not correcting the problem. Due to my inability to pay to get this fixed and the major safety concern it possesses if driven I have left it parked in my driveway for about two months, which in turn has left me with battery issues. I am scheduling service to be done on the car today, because I can no longer go without a vehicle, but GM needs to recall the vehicles which are having problems with brake lights. This is a major safety concern that could result in serious wrecks. I have had several close calls due to this issue and after said close calls stopped driving my vehicle.

- Hawesville, KY, USA

Jul 272011

Aura 4-cyl

The brake lights illuminate randomly during the operation of the vehicle. I will be driving on the highway at night and can see a reflection in my rearview mirror that my top brake light is illuminated for a majority of the trip and cars behind me believe that I am braking and will try to speed up past me despite my car traveling at the speed limit. Additionally, when the brake lights come on, it disengages the cruise control feature as the car tends to believe that I am braking. I bought the car in may, 2011, started noticing that the cruise control feature stopped working but didn't think much of it. Then a friend was driving behind me and asked why I was braking the entire time we were driving. I brought it to the original dealership where it was purchased in July 2011 and brought it back on two separate occasions. The dealership could not repair it thinking it was a brakelight switch, then they tried to replace the cruise control. I then brought it to a GM dealership in August 2011 and they repaired it. The repair lasted for about a year, until it started occurring again in Sept. 2012. I brought it to a local repair shop and their repairs lasted until February 2013 when it started happening again. I am unsure who to take it to because I do not want to have to pay for this a third time for an issue that never seems to be fixed and makes me feel unsafe on the road.

- Waltham, MA, USA

Mar 122013

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Aura. The contact stated that the brake lights illuminated independently without the brakes being engaged. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. As a precaution, the mechanic replaced the brake switch however, the remedy failed to repair the problem. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not further repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 84,000 and the current mileage was 85,000.

- Auburn , MA, USA

Nov 062012

I have a 2008 Saturn Aura xe. While driving, I noticed that occasionally the brake lights (all 3) would illuminate when the brake pedal was not pressed and they would occasionally not illuminate when the brake pedal was pressed.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jan 182013

Was driving on freeway with cruise control on then suddenly the cruise control disengaged. When I looked in the rear view mirror I noticed that my 3rd brake light was coming on by itself and staying on and I was not pressing brake. Brakes come on and stay on when not pressing brake pedal and turn off when brake pedal is pressed. Makes other cars behind me think I'm braking when I'm not and when I do brake it looks as if I'm not braking. Risk getting rear ended because of this. Safety issue.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Feb 012012

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Aura. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the brake lights were illuminated even though the brake pedal was not depressed. The contact also stated that the brake lights stopped illuminating once the brake pedal was engaged. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and the switch stop lamp was replaced. The failure continued. The vehicle was not taken back for additional repairs. The failure mileage was 66,000.

- West Port, MA, USA