NHTSA — Fuel/Propulsion System Problems

2007 Saturn Ion (Page 4 of 5)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: With the 2007 model year we finally get to bid adieu to a car famous for poor safety marks, a dangerously defective ignition and power steering that would work … sometimes.

2.0

2007 Saturn Ion fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Saturn Ion:

2007 Saturn Ion Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Nov 012012

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that she noticed a leak coming from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis. After diagnosis, they advised her that the fuel pump assembly failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired for the fuel pump assembly. The manufacturer was contacted and they advised her that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline:delivery:fuel pump). The failure and current mileages were unavailable.

- St Charles, MO, USA

Nov 142012

Ion 4-cyl

Began smelling an odor of gasoline when I got out of my car. Didn't think much of it until it happened several times. Took my car (2007 Saturn Ion) to a GM dealer for other, unrelated issues and the service manager told me the fuel pump module was cracked. I contacted GM after learning about the recall for the same problem on cars in other "warm weather" states. However, they told me because it was not part of the "recall" they would not help cover the cost of repair even though it is a safety/fire hazard. I've read similar complaints from all over the country, so this is obviously affecting more people than GM will admit.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jul 042012

Ion 4-cyl

The vehicle's fuel tank has a hole where the "neck" of the spout meets the tank. This results in a strong smell of gasoline and presents a significant danger.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Apr 072012

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that after months of smelling gasoline fuel in and around the vehicle, he took the vehicle to an independent mechanic who informed him that the fuel pump would need to be replaced. The contact stated that fuel sprayed out of the pump every time the vehicle was started. The vehicle was repaired. The contact was given the faulty fuel pump and noticed several stress fractures. After researching, he was informed of a recall for the failure under NHTSA campaign id number: 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline:delivery:fuel pump). The manufacturer was notified but advised the contact that due to mileage they would not assist in the repair costs. The failure mileage was 124,600 and the current mileage was 126,000.

- Reedsville, SC, USA

Jul 112012

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that while entering the vehicle, there was an overpowering gasoline fuel smell being emitted from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was determined that the fuel tank sending unit had failed. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the issue and informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline:delivery:fuel pump). The failure mileage was 53,277 and the current mileage was 65,000.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Nov 012012

Ion

Strong smell of gasoline near gas tank and in cabin when parked or moving, engine on or off.

- Denver, CO, USA

Aug 182012

Ion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that while parked, a strong odor of gasoline was emitted from the vehicle. The manufacturer was contact and stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline:delivery:fuel pump). The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who advised the contact that there was a fuel leak because the fuel pump module failed needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage of the vehicle was 52,002 and the current mileage was 52,602. Updated 11/21/12 updated 11/30/2012

- St Louis , MO, USA

Oct 152012

Ion 4-cyl

I noticed an overpowering odor of gasoline present inside and outside the vehicle. Took the vehicle to the dealer for diagnosis and was told the fuel module was leaking gasoline and was also advised that my vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline:delivery:fuel pump). The vehicle was repaired by replacing fuel module with my out of pocket cost. The failure mileage was approximately 51,000. This manufacturing defect obviously has a great risk of fire or explosion.

- Union, KY, USA

Aug 102012

Ion 4-cyl

My check engine light kept coming on, even the smaller check engine light, I had the throttle pedal replaced because it was throwing codes, then I began to smell gas fumes and really became concerned so I took it to jim butler Chevrolet in fenton, mo and they told me that my fuel pump was leaking and there was an issue with my valves, I went online to see if I there were any similar issues from other Saturn owners and I discovered that there was a recall on the fuel pump for the 2007 Saturn Ion, I called jim butlers and told them what I discovered and the person handling my vehicle issue told me that I can't believe everything I find online and that my VIN number was not one of the cars listed on the recall list, yet it was doing the exact same thing as described by other Saturn owners. I am very upset at the fact that my car had the same issues as the other Saturn's but I had to pay to have mine replaced, I paid $513 at a customer friendly repair shop who also found the recall on my car. The shop is holding my old fuel pump in case there was a need to inspect it. I found the recall on safercar.gov which is an official site. I got my report September 3, 2012 the NHTSA campaign id number is 09V419000. My check engine light is still coming on as I was told that I have issues with my valves, but I can't afford to have that seen too yet. It is really sad when I go to a place that is supposed to be certified in handling Saturn and yet when I notify them of a recall on the same issue as my car was having they dismiss me by telling me I shouldn't believe what I read on the internet. My car was a safety hazard while my fuel pump was leaking and that scared me a lot. There is no more gas fumes now that I had to pay to have my fuel pump replaced. I really hope that you take my complaint seriously because the way I was treated was completely ridiculous.

- O'fallon, MO, USA

Apr 302012

Ion 4-cyl

Gas tank/neck part out of ailgenment and smells like something is burning in car.

- West Berlin, NJ, USA

Jun 082012

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that fuel fumes were emitted into the vehicle. The contact noticed that the gas gauge read empty. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnose that the fuel pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance. The failure mileage was 21,000.

- Charleston, SC, USA

Sep 072012

Ion 4-cyl

Approximately 3-4 weeks ago, I started smelling a strong gasoline smell outside my car when I parked it. The smell was growing stronger (and I could smell it in the cabin itself) so I took it to my mechanic who told me it was the fuel pump. He had printed out the recall and suggested I contact GM. When I contacted the local dealership, I was told they wouldn't/couldn't honor the recall as it was VIN specific. Back to my mechanic who fixed it (and by now I was leaking gasoline) and he advised me to contact GM again as the fuel pump was cracked exactly where the fuel pump involved in the recall was. He gave me the part and I did contact GM but was told by GM that they will not honor the recall, that it was VIN specific. To add insult to injury I was told by the person who called me that she "wanted to assure me that your vehicle is safe to drive, it's not involved in the recall." Needless to say, that did not go over well since the reason it's safe to drive is that I had it fixed myself. I will also be filing complaints with my state ag and the BBB. Thank you for your consideration and help in this matter.

- Newmarket, NH, USA

Jun 262012

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that while the vehicle was being serviced by a private mechanic a gasoline smell was being emitted. The mechanic confirmed that the fuel pump had failed. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and informed the contact that their vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline: Delivery: Fuel pump). The failure mileage was 50,000 and the current mileage was 55,000.

- Cuyahoga Falls, OH, USA

Sep 032012

Ion 4-cyl

Smell of gasoline coming from under rear of vehicle. Took car to dealer to get fuel pump replaced. I see recall for similar problem but only in some states. I see recall has been expanded to hopefully include all states.

- Garfield Hts, OH, USA

Jun 292012

Ion 4-cyl

Took my car to a GM dealer regarding the scent of gas in back of the car Inc. In the trunk. While doing a scheduled maintenance, they didn't find anything. Took my vehicle to a different dealer and the smell of gas had gotten worse. There was no stain in my driveway. Once the gas tank was moved and then removed, the puddling of gas on the top of the tank was prevalent. Looking closer, the plastic was cracked that was apart of the module.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Sep 012012

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that while parked, the smell of gasoline fuel emitted in and outside of the vehicle. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and confirmed that the VIN failed to qualify for repairs under NHTSA campaign id number:09V419000( fuel system, gasoline:delivery:fuel pump). The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 51,000 and the current mileage was 52,000.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Jul 312012

Ion 4-cyl

Fuel pump module is crack, leaking gas may cause a fire. Gas smell within the vehicle and outside the vehicle hazardous to driver and passenger inside vehicle. GM will not issue a recall for my specific vehicle.

- Huber Heights, OH, USA

Sep 012012

Ion 4-cyl

The vehicle smelled heavily of gasoline when parked. The plastic fuel line at the fuel pump connection was cracked. The fuel pump had to be replaced. This is an ongoing issue with this year, make and model of vehicle. There is a recall, but when I contact GM, they tell me that my VIN is not included at this time. This is the same issue and this VIN number needs to be added. GM tells me that it is up to the NHTSA, not GM. I appreciate your consideration in this matter.

- Peyton, CO, USA

Aug 022012

Ion 4-cyl

Vehicle smelled strongly of gas. Brought it to mechanic. There was a crack in the fuel pump module. This is a recall on 2007 Saturn Ions in other states, but not mine.

- Yardley, PA, USA

Sep 112012

Ion 4-cyl

I parked my car in my garage and closed the garage door, when I went to leave I noticed a strong smell of gas. My local GM dealership diagnosed it as cracks and pinholes in the fuel lines running from the fuel pump to fuel filter consistent with recall 09V419000, GM will not honor this recall even know my VIN is within the recall breaking points, because I do not reside in one of the selected states and they claim my issue is due to wear.

- Country Club, MO, USA