2004 Saturn Ion
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: Ahh, the 2004 Saturn Ion: defective transmission, deadly ignition switch, temperamental power steering and a cheap plastic exterior that won’t protect you in a crash. What more could you want?
The 2004 Ion was part of GM’s massive ignition switch recall where it was revealed they waited 10 years – and let 13 people die – before doing anything about it. It also features GM’s now infamous VTi continuously variable transmission. Let me tell you, the only thing the VTi did continuously was fail on its owners. GM scrapped it after only two model years.
Worst 2004 Ion Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- transmission problems10NHTSA complaints: 22
- electrical problems4NHTSA complaints: 163
- interior accessories problems3NHTSA complaints: 9
- AC / heater problems2NHTSA complaints: 1
- engine problems2NHTSA complaints: 30
- steering problems2NHTSA complaints: 29
- clutch problems1NHTSA complaints: 2
- seat belts / air bags problems1NHTSA complaints: 18
- suspension problems1NHTSA complaints: 12
- windows / windshield problems1NHTSA complaints: 6
- lights problemsNHTSA: 18
- wheels / hubs problemsNHTSA: 13
- body / paint problemsNHTSA: 8
- brakes problemsNHTSA: 8
- fuel system problemsNHTSA: 6
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 6
- exterior accessories problemsNHTSA: 5
- drivetrain problemsNHTSA: 1
- cooling system problemsNHTSA: 1
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Saturn Ion Model Years
Curious how the 2004 Ion compares to other years?
Check out our Saturn Ion overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Ion.