- August 25: GM Wins Zach Stevens Ignition Switch Trial news | 2 days ago
- August 21: Texas Lawsuit Says GM Ignition Switch Caused Fatal Crash news | 6 days ago
2005 Saturn Ion
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Ion still had power steering issues and a defective ignition switch leftover from previous model years, but hey – at least Saturn improved some of its safety rating to marginal, right? Baby steps.
If you had to buy a Saturn Ion – and I would question why anyone would even consider it – I suppose the 2005 could be considered the best of a bad bunch? I mean, GM did finally get rid of that awful VTi transmission, and both the power steering problems and ignition switch defect that plagued owners were recalled. The problem is they waited 10 years to recall the ignition and let over 30,000 warranty claims get filed before they bothered to fix the power steering. So you kind of have to wonder, is GM making these fixes to keep owners safe or just to keep government lawyers from taking all their money? You be the judge.
Worst 2005 Ion Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- interior accessories problems15NHTSA complaints: 6
- electrical problems6NHTSA complaints: 215
- windows / windshield problems5NHTSA complaints: 5
- engine problems3NHTSA complaints: 50
- AC / heater problems1
- body / paint problems1NHTSA complaints: 11
- cooling system problems1
- seat belts / air bags problems1NHTSA complaints: 36
- steering problems1NHTSA complaints: 255
- transmission problems1NHTSA complaints: 13
- wheels / hubs problems1NHTSA complaints: 4
- lights problemsNHTSA: 22
- fuel system problemsNHTSA: 18
- brakes problemsNHTSA: 14
- drivetrain problemsNHTSA: 14
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 11
- suspension problemsNHTSA: 6
- exterior accessories problemsNHTSA: 3
- clutch problemsNHTSA: 2
Stay Up to Date
Compare Saturn Ion Model Years
Curious how the 2005 Ion compares to other years?
Check out our Saturn Ion overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Ion.