NHTSA — Steering Problems

2007 Saturn Ion (Page 18 of 19)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: With the 2007 model year we finally get to bid adieu to a car famous for poor safety marks, a dangerously defective ignition and power steering that would work … sometimes.

2007 Saturn Ion steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Saturn Ion:

2007 Saturn Ion Owner Comments (Page 18 of 19)

Nov 162009

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The power steering has failed intermittently while driving various miles. The power steering light illuminated and then shut off when the contact turned the vehicle on and off. The failure mileage was 70,000. The current mileage was 93,059.

- Mount Wolf, PA, USA

Dec 162009

Ion

Power steering just all of a sudden goes out on my Saturn vehicle while in operation. A chime sounds indicating somethings wrong and the power steering indicator comes on the dash board. You loose all power steering function and its nearly impossible to operate the vehicle to maneuver at all, at high speeds, especially when turning it can be deadly as you can't control the wheel and almost break your arm trying and can either hit someone or something. When you read over the user manual it tells you that the vehicle needs to be serviced and refers you to a Saturn location to have the repair completed. Upon visiting the dealership, they can only offer you a costly repair to replace the motor which they can't guarantee that it will ever go out again. This is not safe at all!

- High Point, NC, USA

Mar 022010

Ion

I have a 2007 Saturn Ion and read this morning that you are issuing a recall for the Chevy cobalt and Pontiac pursuit/G5. What concerns me is that you are not recalling the Ion because of a lack of reported issues. I have rallied Ion owners from our main Saturn Ion club sites listed below, what can also be found on these sites is the large number of failures of the power steering on these cars, which is the same part number that has been deemed defective on the cobalt/G5/pursuit. The cobalt/G5/pursuit was based off and engineered from the Saturn Ion and shares the entire drivetrain, steering system and wheel/tire sizes with only very minor differences if any in weight distribution and parts. This is so much so, cobalt suspension parts are often put on Ions. Please do not ignore the Ions in this recall, our cars have been ignored by GM in many other cases such as the cvt transmission, lower control arm bushings, and ignition switch failures. www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?F=18 www.redlineforums.com/forums www.ionforums.net/phpbb3/.

- Kingsford, MI, USA

Feb 132010

Ion

2007 Saturn Ion, pwr str lights comes on, steering wheel freezes. Consequences = trying to maintain control of a moving vehicle with limited steering. You would have to pull over and turn the automobile off and then back on for the light to go off and steering works fine, however it happens again 5 minutes later. I contacted Saturn however they are aware but have not had enough complaints from NHTSA yet to put it on their recall list.

- Ofallon, MO, USA

Feb 122010

Ion

1 - 2 weeks ago my steering got very stiff and almost caused me to under compensate in a turn at an intersection. My warning signal and message indicated a power steering problem. 2 - the problem corrects itself when I turn the engine off but reappears shortly after we turn the engine back on. 3 - this vehicle is a 2007 GM Saturn Ion. I contacted the GM dealership who is handling the Saturn in baton rouge about the problem but have not brought it in yet. I have noticed that there is a recall issued today (3/2/10) -- news.yahoo.com/S/ap/20100302/ap_on_bi_ge/us_gm_recall -- by GM on certain compacts but it doesn't include the 2007 Saturn Ion. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

- Albany, LA, USA

Jun 152009

Ion

The power steering on my 2007 Saturn Ion failed at 40,000 miles.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Feb 012010

Ion

Electrical power steering went out in my 2007 Saturn Ion coup. The car became very difficult to drive.

- Madison, AL, USA

Jul 012008

Ion

The power steering of my 2007 Saturn Ion sedan has failed and it is very difficult and dangerous to turn the steering wheel at low speeds. Apparently, this is a major problem that GM has not yet addressed!

- Temecula, CA, USA

Jan 292010

Ion

Our 2007 Saturn Ion with 12,000 miles lost steering control due to short circuit in steering assist motor. The loss of the power assist while in the mountains resulted 90% steering loss and almost lost control of vehicle. Last year in a similar auto owned by our family the 2006 Chevy cobalt lost power steering assist but shorted out while the car was on but parked. I am surprised no safety recalls have been issued.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Dec 112009

Ion

Saturn Ion (07) suddenly loses steering while driving and "pwr str" is displayed on the odometer. The vehicle chimes 3-4 times in rapid succession and by the end of that chiming, the steering wheel is completely locked.

- Hillsboro, NH, USA

Dec 142009

Ion

2007 Saturn Ion steering locks up while driving, causing unsafe conditions.

- Hillsboro, NH, USA

Sep 302009

Ion

Gas accelerating on it's on in a Saturn Ion 2007 causing wreck 2 times, fuse blew in power steering causing wreck 1 time.

- Gilbert, WV, USA

Sep 202009

Ion

My wheel began to be hard to turn. The power steering went out in the car. This is a 2007 car so why has it gone out so fast and this is so expensive to fix due to this is an electric problem now and this is making my arm and shoulders hurt.

- Dallas, TX, USA

May 112009

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. While driving 35 mph the steering column locked. She then put the vehicle into neutral to resume normal vehicle operation. However after several minutes of driving the vehicle failed again.. the vehicle was taken to the dealer multiple times for inspection. Since the technicians could not duplicate the failure they could not provide a remedy. An independent mechanic concluded power steering module needed to be repaired at her expense. The failure mileage was 35000 and current mileage was 54000.

- Buena Park , CA, USA

Oct 032009

Ion

Power steering suddenly became inoperable while vehicle was in motion. The steering then becomes functional again after the car is shut off and re-started. The danger is that it malfunctions randomly while driving, and is very dangerous. Research indicates that the problem is widespread with this vehicle.

- Bethlehem, GA, USA

Aug 312009

Ion

"pwr str" was displayed on the odometer and the power steering immediately went out. After turning the vehicle off and back on, the power steering worked fine but every time after driving for more than a few minutes, the same thing happens and I lose power steering again.

- Riverside, NJ, USA

Aug 072009

Ion

I have had my 2007 Saturn for almost 3 years my power steering went out on the car. I have a 100,000 mile or 5 year warranty and Saturn is saying it's not covered under my warranty because the power steering is electric. Now I've that's a common problem with Saturn. And I'm sorry but it's very dangerous driving without power steering. So does this mean every 3 years I'm going to have to pay 700 hundred dollars to have it fixed. The power steering cuts in and out and sometimes while I'm turning. I could get slammed by another car because all the sudden my car loses it's power steering.

- Mcdonough, GA, USA

Jun 302009

Ion

We have a 2007 Saturn Ion with 45,000 miles. Yesterday the power steering motor went out. Motor is part of the steering column so we have to have it all replaced. Quote by a Saturn dealer is $1000. We talked to a local, reputable, mechanic and he informed us that driving the car in such a condition could result in the car catching on fire from the heat generated from turning without the power assist. This is an ongoing issue going back several year models of Ion's. we do not feel we should have to pay to have a safety issue fixed on the car. There should be a recall.

- Tecumseh, OK, USA

Aug 212008

Ion

TL - the contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. Since purchasing the vehicle a thumping sound has been coming from the steering column. The steering became very tight and hard when making a right turn. When making a left turn the steering was very easy. When taken to a dealer the diagnosis was that the complete steering column needs to be replaced. The contact filed a complaint with General Motors and the reference number is 716555540051. The current mileage was 45,780. Kg updated 10/03/08 updated 10/15/08.

- Locust Grove, GA, USA

Oct 172006

Ion 6-cyl

Upon purchase of vehicle, over driveway slopes, or other road bumps vehicle has loud popping and clunking noise. Vehicle also has popping noise and feeling under feet of driver and passenger while steering at stand still or while driving...vehicle when experiencing road hazards that cause braking action while steering locks up and jolts forward causing loss of control of vehicle for random time amounts. All of these problems have been reported to dealer, taken in for repairs, (3X) each time I have been told problem is fixed, problem can not be duplicated. I drive vehicle home and the problem is either partially better for a couple weeks or not better at all. During the time that vehicle was partially better for a couple of weeks a strut mount was replaced on a vehicle with only 9,000 miles (after the 2nd attempt to discover issue) 3rd attempt only had a steering issue addressed, (I shaft dry and binding) however this has only partially solved the problem. Vehicle still pops, clunks and has issue with loss of control over unexpected road hazards while braking.

- White Lake, MI, USA