1997 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1997 Toyota Camry:

1997 Toyota Camry Owner Comments

Feb 272013

Camry LE 2.4L

After having replaced the engine in my 1997 Camry in 2004 due to no oil in engine (related to oil consumption issue with Camry cars), I ran into low oil again yesterday. Oil light was flickering on and off. I knew exactly what it was because the same issue roached my first engine. When factory motor blew up the first time (out of warranty), I replaced it with an engine from Japan (used) which had about 20K miles on it. Now this motor has about 75K miles on it and yesterday oil light came on. When I got home I checked and it was basically bone dry. I've added 3 qts of 5W30 oil and about 2/3 qt of Lucas oil leak treatment and will see what happens. Obviously this oil consumption issue just put a lot of wear and tear on the motor having run with oil levels this low. Crazy that oil light doesn't come on sooner!

Anyway, this is the last Toyota I will own. See other's posts about engine failure or excessive oil consumption to get more info. Evidently this is an oil sludge issue that is not unheard of. Toyota has ignored, and possibly hasn't even addressed/fixed in newer models as I've seen posts regarding 2007 Camry's with this same issue.

I had come to expect more from foreign automakers generally and Toyota specifically, but am going domestic now.

- , Davenport, IA, USA