1. replace engine (2 reports)
2002 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Toyota Camry:

2002 Toyota Camry Owner Comments

Sep 142011

Camry XLE V4

The Camry has a leaking oil problem for several months and the Toyota dealer replaced the oil seal on the oil pan and said that will correct the problem. Four months later we lost three quarts of oil creating a loud knocking noise from the engine causing us to pull over right away. A towing service towed the car to a dealer in Morgantown WV where they said the engine must be replaced or rebuilt, I choose new as I believe the Toyota shop would simply pick up an engine from a junk yard, clean it and pass it off as shop rebult. Why trust Toyota when they lie about fixing the oil leak which caused the engine failure and they want me to believe they would install a shop rebult no way. I wrote Toyota customer complaint department and six weeks later no answer. Don't buy sh*t for cars from Toyota.

- , Glen Allen, VA, USA

Jun 012009

Camry LX

Engine made noise so the first dealer #1 told me that engine had to be replaced because of oil leak. I went to another dealer #2 and he fixed the noise/leak and other stuff for 1600 dollars. 2 months later the engine made noise again and when I took to dealer #2 he told me it was a rod knock and engine has to be replaced. I was like why the hell they fixed earlier for 1600 and if they fixed it badly to cause the rod knock. Now, they ask for 4500 for engine replacement. I don't trust Toyota dealers anymore.

- , Mason, OH, USA