6.4

2. replaced steering rack (2 reports)
  3. replace lower steering assembly (1 reports)
  4. replace steering shaft (1 reports)
2003 Toyota Camry steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Toyota Camry:

2003 Toyota Camry Owner Comments

Apr 272011

Camry LE 4 cyl

Pearl was bought from Montrose Toyota in Akron, OH in May 2007. I can not TELL YOU how many times I took Pearl there because I kept complaining about the darn steering not being right. Every time I turn to the left or the right then the steering would make some kind of ticking-like noise! I was told that it's some kind of plastic part in the steering that needs to be oiled ever so often! Bullcrap! When I did take Pearl to a mechanic on April 27, 2011 then I was told the whole darn rack and pinion is off and he's seen a couple of them like this and there SHOULD BE SOME KIND OF RECALL on this problem. He did give me the steering part that was sooo bad and it's in my trunk. Come on now! How can there be a steering problem with the 2004 Camry's and not on the 2003 Camry's?

- , Akron, OH, USA

Mar 032005

Camry XLE 4 cyl

If Toyota knows this is a problem, why can't something be done.

- , Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Sep 052007

Camry SE

I took this problem to the dealership and they told me they couldn't find anything. Warranty I guess was not warranty. It has a a knocking noise and a moaning noise, especially in the winter. It is annoying and scary becuase I dont know what can happen. This should be recalled and fixed ASAP.

- , Bronx, NY, USA

Jan 122005

Camry LE 4 cyl

i got the same problem when turning the wheel. very unsafe. should be recalled.

- , van Nuys, CA, USA

Jan 212004

Camry LE 4 cyl

bought the car with 0 miles. at around 30,000 miles it starting making this noise whenever i turned the wheel. this seems unsafe and someone told me to get it checked before something snaps.

- , van Nuys, CA, USA

Oct 052004

Camry LE 1.8L

I have this noise when turning the steering wheel. I took it to the dealer and they could not find any issues and said that there is not problems. I took their word for it but now that I am out of warranty I regret it. Noise is still there and it happens all the time now.

- , Falls Church, VA, USA

Feb 122008

Camry LX 3.2L

knocking noise is aggravating, no one knows what it is, toyota should look into it, what if something in the steering snaps.

- , Cathedral City, CA, USA

Oct 302007

Camry LE V4

I have been hearing the problem for a long time, and the dealership mechanics couldn't hear a thing. I recenlyt took the car in again for evaluation, and now I find out that there is a problem. I think Toyota should recall the 2003 Camrys if there is a factory defect issue.

- , Wilson, NC, USA

Sep 112004

Camry LE 4-cyl

Toyota dealership told me they greased the steering assembly and sent me on my way my own mechanic thought the problem was in the ignition locking assembly

- , Pittsbrugh, PA, USA

May 042007

Camry LE 4 cyl

Knocking noise can be heard when steering wheel is fully turned in either direction. Easily repeatable, very annoying. Took it to the dealer and they said it was normal so I've been living with the issue.

- , Fremont, CA, USA

Jan 202005

Camry LE 2.4L 4 cyl

This is a good website for discussing car problems.

- , Mississauga, ON, Canada

Sep 082007

Camry LE 4 C

I have always had faith in Toyota and now we have this problem and can't get it fixed. You can't drive down the road without hearing a awful noise when you turn. It doesn't sound SAFE!!!

- , Marion, KY, USA

Aug 142007

Camry

Constant knocking noise when steering have brought into dealership and they can't find anything wrong? Have had to get several wheel alignments also?

- , Bremerton, WA, USA

Apr 092007

Camry LE V6-3.0L

I have the same steering problem as many posted with my Toyota camry LE(V6). This clunk noise was noticed at about 30,000 miles when wheel is turning right or left sharply. I had the car checked at a Toyota dealer recently and learned that this was a common problem for 2003 camry. The dealer said it would cost about $400 to fix it. Toyota should have a recall for this problem.

- , Maple Glen, PA, USA

Feb 122007

Camry LE V4

Apparently, the knocking noise we've all been hearing is a common problem for 03-05 Camry's. Unfortunately, the only solution appears to be replacing the steering shaft. The part cost me $241 and the labor cost me $130, plus tax. According to my dealership, the problem is not dangerous, in that one can continue to drive despite it. This is a good thing, considering that Toyota has more than a one-month back-order on the part in question. This definitely indicates that a large number of people are experiencing the same problem. Someone should definitely consider filing a class-action--the main reason why most Camry owners buy a Camry is precisely to avoid problems and additional costs such as these!

- , Glendale, CA, USA

Dec 302006

Camry XLE 2.4 V4

There's a knocking noise when turning the wheel. Toyota sucks

- , Dublin, OH, USA

Nov 212006

Camry LX 4 cyl

I had notice a knock in the steering during turning and acceleration. The car had approx. 70,000 km when first detected. The Tech at the dealership said I required a new lower steering assembly. Cost for the part $246.00 plus one hour labor and taxes. I was given no explanation for this defect but was told the fix was not covered under warranty. The new part was on back order suggesting this wasn't an isolated problem. My next car will be a Honda Accord.

- , Cargill, ONT, Canada

Sep 302006

Camry LE

Steering clunks when turning left or right.

- , Felton, DE, USA

Sep 152006

Camry LE

knocking noise when turning steering wheel either direction

- , Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Dec 312005

Camry

Metal knocking noise when steering wheel is turned back and forth.

- , Hercules, CA, USA