Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: How can we give the 2006 Camry our "Seal of Awesome" when the NHTSA data shows engine problems in the triple digits & multiple deaths/injuries/crashes etc?

The problem with NHTSA data for the 2006 Camry is that for months on end, the news media repeatedly told the public that several Toyota models had an unintended acceleration defect, & to go to (the NHTSA's website) to file a complaint.

So, the NHTSA received a disproportionate number of complaints about Toyota unintended acceleration issues because of the national news media attention, to the point where their data is unreliable taken in context with any other vehicle that did not receive national news attention.

In other words, it's our opinion that the 2 deaths & other injuries/fires/crashes reported to the NHTSA are significant, but (unfortunately) not out of the ordinary for any vehicle, once you factor in the effects of the extended national media coverage of Camry unintended acceleration issues. typically receives more complaints per day about vehicles than the NHTSA does, but the news media did not repeatedly say "go to to report your Camry acceleration problems" like they did about the NHTSA -- so although we have less complaint data than the NHTSA for the 2006 Camry, our data for the Camry is a far more statistically accurate representation of the Camry's reliability than what the NHTSA data shows.

2006 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Camry:

2006 Toyota Camry Owner Comments

Jun 152015

My car was tested and qualified for an engine internal rebuild due to excessive engine oil consumption. It's been a year and the parts still have not been delivered to the dealer. Meanwhile I have to fill up the oil 3+ times in-between every oil change which is costing me the equivalent of an additional oil change for every oil change (approximately $30 extra every oil change).

- Omaha, NE, USA

Jun 012016

2006 Toyota Camry 80K miles, had coolant leaking into engine cylinders caused by stripped head gasket bolts. Research shows this is a common problem and a design flaw for the 2az-fe engine which occur to many 2002 - 2006 Camry. Toyota dealer wanted over $3,500 to fix it.. Toyota should recall and repair it under warranty.

- Tustin, CA, USA

Jul 102016

I am the original owner of a 2006 Solara that currently has about 56,000 miles. Last year, the check engine light started turning on, but it wasn't until this year that I found out the problem. My car is burning excessive oil, about 1.75 quarts every 1,200 miles (according to the dealership's oil consumption test.) Toyota issued a technical service bulletin in 2011 stating that it will only fix the 2007 and 2008 Solara. Although my car is a 2006, it has the exact same engine as the 2007 and 2008. I already called Toyota corporate twice and they refuse to pay for the repair, arguing that it is out of warranty. I am aware of that, but it is obviously a manufacturng problem. My car is low on mileage, it's never been crashed, and I've done all the maintenance at the dealership in a timely manner since the day I bought it. Toyota is well aware that this is a very common problem with these engines and they refuse to fix it. I shouldn't have to pay about $3,000 to fix it, if the problem is not my fault. I'm also not going to sell it to someone without telling them about the problem, because that's just wrong. So my only options are paying for the repair myself or selling it and taking a significant loss due to the problem. Yesterday my car started shaking when I was stopped at red lights, making loud unusual noises, losing power, and then the "check engine" light turned on. I don't feel safe driving the car because I've read that the engine can eventually just die due to excessive oil consumption. I've been reading about this issue, and there are thousands of others with the exact same problem. Toyota should be investigated and be forced to admit the problem and pay for the repairs of the customers involved.

- Montebello, CA, USA

Jun 192013

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Camry. While driving between 20 and 40 mph, the vehicle hesitated, jerked, and surged forward when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The contact lost control of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. Manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 81,103.

- Santa Rosa, CA, USA

Feb 162015

Camry 4-cyl

I was pulling the car into a parking lot at a very slow speed (~4mph). Suddenly the car took off with full force of acceleration. The car jumped the concrete bar of the parking lot and accelerated as if with full applied gas. It just happened in few seconds, I tried to hit the break, but could not stop the car until it hit the 1.5" high foundation of the building and stopped. The engine was still on, and the front wheels still spun very fast until I changed the gear to parking and turned off the engine.

- Austin, TX, USA