2010 Toyota Camry electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Toyota Camry:

2010 Toyota Camry Owner Comments

Aug 202016

The instrument cluster went black when driving in the highway out of town. And later the engine was turned off. Restarted the car and drove to be checked at a dealer who said everything should be fine except for the instrument cluster. Restarted the car and the instrument cluster worked well this time. Two days later, the instrument cluster turned on all of warning lights and then went black again, at the same time, the car lost power and I couldn't speed it up. Pull over and restarted it, everything turned to be ok. So, I sent it the local dealer who replaced the instrument cluster. I keep the broken instrument cluster in case for need of further investigation.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Nov 032014

My fuel gauge always show a full tank of gas even when tank is empty, and when I turn the ignition key off, fuel gauge still shows full. I can't tell how much gas is in my tank, and this has result me without gas on a busy highway, it is really a safety hazard. Please recall.

- Stony Brook, NY, USA

Apr 212015

Both the driver's side and passenger's side lock controls fail to lock and unlock both the driver's side and rear driver's side doors. Occasionally, depending on the temperature and humidity, the rear driver's side door will lock and unlock. It is a similar problem associated with the window/ lock control recall for 2007 and 2009 Toyota Camry. It almost seems as though there is a faulty wire connection. This occurs at all times, no matter whether the car is in motion or not.

- Abington, MA, USA

Jun 042014

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the anto-theft security alarm system was not functioning properly unless the contact used the key fob, which worked intermittently. The vehicle was broken into and the alarm failed to engage. A police report was filed. The vehicle was scheduled to be inspected and repaired by an authorized dealer. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 112,000.

- Meriden, CT, USA

May 212014

Camry 4-cyl

The vehicle was stopped at an intersection attempting to make a left hand turn. The car was hit in the side front from the tires forward so the fluids and bumper were destroyed. Driver did hit the dashboard and no airbags deployed from the side curtain airbags or the front airbags. No airbags were ever deployed to protect the driver. When this car was purchased it was because of the safety of the airbags...which were no help in this accident.

- Arnold, MD, USA

Feb 152010

Camry 4-cyl

I bought a brand new 2010 Camry le (4 cylinder), and it has already been through the set of factory-installed tires, another set of four Michelin tires, a third set of four, and 2 more tires as of 10/27/2013, although the vehicle only now has approximately 74,000 miles on it. The tires curiously go uniformly bald on the front in less than 1/3rd of the life of the tire. Each company from which I have purchased new Michelin or bfgoodrich tires for this Camry said this is highly unusual. They stated that the tires should not ordinarily be uniformly bald or be worn out so quickly. They have also stated that the vehicle must have come out of the factory aligned this way, since the first pair was useless after so few miles and the new tires are wearing out so quickly. Moreover, there are electrical problems with the ac system controls and the sensor on the driver's side power window. The ac mysteriously turns its recycled air switch from recycled to vent (without being pressed to make the switch) while driving. Also, the driver's side power window will go nearly all the way up (when pressed), but it stops short of the top and then rolls itself back down. The service manager at robbin's Toyota said his mechanics could not get these problems to re-occur when driven, and therefore, he could not and would not fix the two issues, although the vehicle was under warranty at the time. Finally, I cannot remove the oil filter canister for a home-oil change. I've used the oem filter cap wrench, but I am unable to get the canister housing to turn, which makes it impossible to change the oil filter at home. This was the first Toyota I've owned, and it will be the last.

- Texarkana, TX, USA

Aug 012013

Blower motor went bad on 2010 Toyota Camry. Dealership say no recall on this, I have been told that this almost never go out especially the age of the car.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Mar 012013

Camry 6-cyl Diesel

Warning: Hood open when vehicle is parked and factory theft deterrent security system is engaged, intermittently alarm goes off (even when remote control is not within range and no unauthorized entry is attempted). Similar to T-sb-0171-11 and T-sb-0208-10 vehicle equipped with a factory theft deterrent system may exhibit a condition where the security horn is inappropriately triggered when the vehicle has not been disturbed. A revised hood latch assembly (with internal component switch) has been made available to address this condition.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 122010

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the vehicle suddenly accelerated without warning while driving 15 mph. The contact was able to bring the vehicle to a stop by applying the brakes. The vehicle also exhibited an electrical failure that caused the instrument panel lights to blink and the radio to fail. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 8 and the current mileage was 44,290.

- Hampton , VA, USA

Dec 272011

Started car and tachometer showed aprox 3000 RPM then went to idle it lunged forward if I did mot have my foot on the brake it would have smashed into a guard rail.

- Ambridge, PA, USA

Mar 252011

On Friday, 25 March, 2011 at about 4 pm, my wife experienced a sudden deceleration event on our 2010 Toyota Camry. She made a right turn & in about a half mile, the Camry suddenly slowed to less than 10 mph from about 40 mph. She pulled into the first parking lot to the right and shut off the Camry. She said no matter how much she pressed on the accelerator, the car was not responding to the accelerator. She said the check engine and the stability control lights were on. She tried restarting the car and drove a little in the parking lot, the 2 dash lights were on, but it was driving ok. She drove the car slowly approximately 5 more miles to our home. I arrived soon & I checked the codes with my diagnostic tool, and the ECU was showing an active P0121 (throttle/pedal position sensor a, circuit range performance). So we drove the car slowly to atlanta Toyota, 2345 pleasant hill road, duluth, ga 30096. During the drive to the dealership, the dash lights went off. I reported the code P0121 to the service rep, and the driving symptoms. The next day (Saturday, 26 March 2011) atlanta Toyota called me reporting that there were no codes in the ECU. I repeated the code that I had read. The rep stated they would check again. Again atlanta Toyota called me, stating no codes found, and they had test driven the car and could not replicate the problem. They did replace the accelerator pedal assembly. On the drive home from the dealership I noticed that the clock time had changed about 30 minutes, and all the radio presets were gone, as if the battery had been disconnected.I inquired and the dealership rep said the battery had 'not been touched'.my concern is this Toyota may have reprogrammed my car due to the sudden deceleration issue, (hence the clock & radio changes), and they are not being forthcoming regarding repairs. All they will say is, there were no codes.

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Jun 082010

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Camry. The contact attempted to start the vehicle using the keyless entry and noticed that the vehicle would not start. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the contact was informed that the failure could not be repaired. There were no prior warnings. The current and failure mileages were 6,000. Updated 8/2/10 updated 08/09/10

- Cedar Rapids, IA, USA

Jun 072010

2010 Toyota Camry. Consumer states alarm system sounds while driving

- Mount Olive, NC, USA

Aug 032009

My 2010 Camry has been to the dealer a few times. Know one seems to be able to duplicate the acceleration surge I'm experiencing. I contacted Toyota directly. They sent me to different dealer. Dealer had it for a day and said the same thing "can't duplicate" I think they have all been schooled to say this. I had the service manager ride with me and told him to watch the RPM dial when I go to stop. He saw the RPM dial move up to almost 2000 when I hit the brake. He had me drive another 2010 Camry and it did the same thing. I had a 98 avalon and a 03 Camry that did not do this. He explained to me that this is the way these new cars down sift and it's different than the older Toyota's. he assured me that my car is safe and I have nothing to worry about. After reading all of the other complaints here I'm not 100% sold that this is normal down sifting. I think I'm going to take this to arbitration. I hate to do this because I love my new car...I'm just really nervous driving it.

- Dublin, OH, USA

Mar 172010

On Wednesday, March 17, 2010, I was driving my 2010 Toyota Camry South on Alabama highway 59 in the vicinity of the intersection of baldwin county road 32 in summerdale. I was listening to radio station while out of mobile when the volume of the station faded out. It took about 2 seconds for the sound to completely disappear. I assumed the station had a problem and would be back in a few seconds. About a minute later I looked at the radio display and it showed "volume 0." I turned the volume back up and the station was there. It had been there all the time. Something had caused the volume to fade out without any action on my part. This now gives me concern that the computer that controls virtually everything on the car is subject to outside influences.

- Gulf Shores, AL, USA

Mar 162010

Ltr fwd (NY) owner of a 2010 Toyota Camry that has been service for multiple defects since purchased including braking system and gas pedal recall, reply to massapequa, NY ofc. The back seat foam was defective and had to be replaced, the passenger exterior mirror was loose, the brakes had to be pumped so they wouldn't feel mushy, the steering was loose and the dashboard lights would dim while driving and when applying the brake. The consumer contacted the dealer and informed them the lights were not working. They stated it sounded as though it was an electrical problem and she would have to leave the vehicle. The consumer also stated when she applied the brake, the vehicle would lunge forward.

- Massapequa Park, NY, USA

Feb 022010

On February 2, 2010 I was entering my garage and slowly drove in, I then placed my foot on the brake to stop, I then opened the drivers side door slightly as I was about to place the vehicle in park a short revving of the engine began, right before I placed the shifter into park the vehicle jumped into reverse and began to accelerate backwards, causing damage to the drivers side door which flew open due to the reverse acceleration, the wall in my garage, the garage railing, the side panel of the garage were all damaged as a result. I then slammed on the brakes and the parking brakes, placed the shifter in neutral and then turned off the engine, I then called the Toyota corporation and explained the event to them. Their process was slow and not considerate to my needs as a consumer. After several days and numerous phone calls Toyota finally responded and I was told that I was going to have to wait another 4 days for someone else from their regional department to get in touch with me. I finally decided to let my insurance company handle the vehicles damage because I only have one car. After a week in the shop I then took the vehicle a Toyota dealer for them to repair the recall issues. Toyota explained to me that they fixed the recall problems and returned the vehicle back to me.

- Bristow, VA, USA

Mar 132010

Toyota Camry xle 2010 with 11500 miles is accelerating on its own and it is taking noticeable longer to slow down. Check engine light is on and (ESC) light is on. However this is not the first time this has happened. The car was taken to the dealer. The first time they said there was debris in the engine however it took them over 30 days to fix it and they did not seem confident they fixed the problem. It is not a consistent problem as it happens unexpectedly. This is not caused by a driver mistake as it can be clearly seen when foot is off the brake and car is in drive that the RPM is higher. Sometimes the opposite happens and the car acts as if it is going to stall and shakes very hard. The approx incident date is the last time it was noticed and the car is no longer being driven. * I wonder if there is a possibility that my cell phone that causes interference with my tv and radio causes an interference with the etc system?

- White Plains, NY, USA

Dec 242009

The day after purchasing my 2010 Camry, the car seemed to ride funny. I felt uneasy but initially thought it may be that it was my first completely new car. This went on for the next few weeks, I.e. the car seeming to jerk or heave, regardless of the speed. I was worried that there was something wrong with the engine and then the lights on the aircondition/heating board stopped working so I thought it was an electrical problem instead. I took it in. The mechanic explained everything away, explained the 'electrical problem', and stated that the heaving feeling I was sensing was that the car was computerized and that it took time for the accelerator to catch up with the signal the computer was giving it, or something like that. He ran an engine check and everything was fine. On my service sheet he simply stated that I had complained about the accelerator hesitating (which I did not), but did not document that I brought the car in complaining that it had electrical problems. A week later there was the recall. When I later called about the recall and continued to complain about the accelerator problem, the serviceman ( a different one) told me that I would feel no change in the way the way the car drove so he would have someone ride with me to try to figure out what I was talking about. The day before taking the car in for the fix, the car slightly accelerated when I was trying to come to a stop. After the fix, a Toyota representative rode with me (I let him drive), but the car did appear to ride better after the fix. The car does still feel better than when I first bought it but seems to be gradually getting worse since the fix, e.g. the car occasionally slightly accelerates when I am coming to a stop.

- Hermitage, TN, USA

Feb 072010

I own a 2010 Toyota Camry. I was told by one dealership that my car is not affected. I was told by another dealership that my car is included in the accelerator recall. First, when I put the keys in my car and start it, it will start to accelerate to 2000 rpms for 30 secs to a minute before going below 1000rpms. Also, when I drive around town, the car will remain accelerated even after I take my foot off of the gas pedal or even after I take my foot off the brake. I do not know what to do, and if my car is not part of a recall, this could be more of a systematic problem (either with the electric chip or the accelerator pedal I have) than what everyone thinks now. I have brought my car to the dealer 2-3 times (prior to the recall) and they said it was "normal" for all Camry. But this is obviously not normal.

- Boston, MA, USA