2013 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Toyota Camry:

2013 Toyota Camry Owner Comments

Apr 102016

The contact owned a 2013 Toyota Camry. While driving at a low speed, the vehicle independently accelerated. In addition, the steering wheel seized and the brake pedal was depressed, but failed to respond. As a result, the contact crashed into a pole. The contact was unsure if the air bags deployed. The contact sustained injuries to the legs, back, and left arm that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed and deemed destroyed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN and failure mileage were unknown. Udated 08/04/16

- Mobile, AL, USA

Feb 102016

Occasionally, the car hesitates after accelerating from a complete stop. The car will move forward for a few feet, but the gas pedal will become unresponsive while still stepping on the gas pedal. It will gain some acceleration after releasing and stepping on it again. After this happens, I have to repeatedly release and step on the gas pedal because it idles frequently preventing me from "moving forward, " until I reach the desire speed limit. The software was updated, but the problem still persist. I took it to the dealership to be disappointed once again.

- Pomona, CA, USA

Feb 052013

Clicking when in reverse and appling brakes shifting brake pads ? coming to stop car seems to shift to neutral ( better gas mileage) " going up hill 70 T0 75 mph in cruise control car will down shift 1 or 2 gears this is the way the car programed. On all issues Toyota claims their is nothing they can do as the car is operating according to specs. They tell me the car is safe I have concerns as to how. Why is their a noise in the brakes " why is the car down shifting they say their is a disclaimer not to use cruise in mountains. They seem to have a problems they can`T fix

- Henderson, NV, USA

Feb 262015

The contact owns a 2013 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the after the vehicle was serviced under a voluntary recall for speed control, the vehicle accelerated independently without warning. The brake pedal was depressed and failed to respond. As a result, the contact crashed into the shelves in his garage and the air bags failed to deploy. A police report was not filed and no injuries were sustained. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician stated that the vehicle was operating as designed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 20,000.

- Monteue, MI, USA

Feb 022015

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while in a parking lot, the vehicle accelerated independently. Once the brakes were depressed, the vehicle resumed normal acceleration. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 10,000. Updated 4/15/15

- Louisville, KY, USA

Oct 142014

Camry 4-cyl

This incident occurred on October 14, 2014 at approximately 2pm. I was leaving my dentist's parking lot. I backed out of my parking spot, stopped and with my foot on the brake to shift into drive, the car shot backward at a very high rate of speed. To avoid hitting the building I turned the wheel sharply, but could not avoid hitting a parked car. Damage to my vehicle was almost $3000. I reported the incident to Toyota and they did an inspection on my vehicle and said they found nothing wrong so I must take responsibility for the accident.

- Traverse City, MI, USA

Oct 172014

TL-the contact owns a 2013 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while reversing, the brake pedal was depressed but the vehicle accelerated causing the vehicle to crash into a cement wall. In addition, after crashing into the cement wall, the contact attempted to move the vehicle forward and the vehicle over accelerated causing the vehicle to crash into another wall. The air bags deployed on the second impact. A police report was filed. The contact sustained bruising and the rear passenger sustained bruising which both did not require medical attention. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 20,000. Djr

- Burbank, CA, USA

Jun 272014

Camry 4-cyl

New vehicle after a cold start refused to accelerate. It had 2/3 tank of fuel, brakes released, and no interference with the gas peddle. Vehicle would not accelerate past 15 mph and would hesitate and stumble to the point of engine stall when pressure on gas peddle increased. Engine warning lights did not indicate a problem. Restarted engine several times on the way to dealer service shop. About two miles from the dealer, the problem seemed to resolve itself. Dealer service could not replicate problem as of this writing and will remain with them over this weekend in the hope that the source of the problem is found and resolved. Thankfully the lack of engine response developed while driving my subdivision streets and did not contribute to and accident. It is noted that there are similar complaints for this problem on 2013 Camry, S listed by owners on the internet with no noted resolution.

- Ballwin, MO, USA

May 042014

Camry 4-cyl

Car was parked engaged the car in reverse, and sudden acceleration occurred. Hit utility pole and continued going in reverse. Engine RPM red lined. The car was totaled. Third party review sponsored by Toyota will be performed.

- Valparaiso, IN, USA

Nov 112013

Camry 4-cyl

I was driving on M-80 across Illinois, for about 2 hours on cruise control, set at 69 mph. I suddenly realized that the car seemed to be going too fast, as I passed a couple cars rather quickly. I glanced at the speedometer and saw it, in about one second, go from 85 mph to 87 mph and I immediately braked, thereby stopping the cruise control (?) from continuing to accelerate the car. When this happened, I did not have my foot on the gas pedal or my hand near the cruise control mechanism. The car just simply accelerated quickly on it's own. I tried to continue to use cruise control to drive back to Michigan, however shortly thereafter, it began to rain/snow so I didn't use the cruise control after that. This is a new car that I just bought in September.

- Midland, MI, USA

Sep 152013

Camry 4-cyl

The car engine and RPM go up when the car go down hill or you slow down in traffic at speed 45/35/25 mph. Definitely it happen more often at speed of 25/35 mph with full tank or 3/4 of gas tank. When I'm down hill at speed 30 or more then come to the point you need to slow down to make a turn at 25 mph the RPM when up to at some point the RPM up to 2.5 X 1000. I have notice this issue at my Toyota dealer when my service 10,000 mile and they test the car and said nothing happen to the car. I'm concerning I might end up out of control the car if this issue continues happen and I'll be in the car accident. Information redacted pursuant to the Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA), 5 U.S.C. 552(B)(6).

- Hacienda Heights, CA, USA

Sep 262013

Camry 4-cyl

Three separate unrelated incidents: 1. while driving in freeway traffic and attempting to blend into side lane, there was no power for a brief second and then a surge which made us decide to stay in the current lane. The repair man said he had heard this concern from other 2013 Camry owners, but I needed to learn to drive this as a new vehicle. 2. dealer put us off when we asked about recall due to a problem with the airbags. When we E-mailed Toyota they referred us back to our local dealer. We felt caught between them.this has finally been dealt with. 3. starting the Camry which was parked in our garage, (outside temperatures were below zero) there was a rumbling and a pop. I called our dealer to be sure I should drive into town. When I went to their local office, they told me that this had happened to other owners and it was because of the new federal guidelines for fuel efficiency which made parts closer together and the need to use a thinner oil which would settle and cause this bang. Yet, they also said that none of their lot cars had experienced this and they were not in garages.

- Bemidji, MN, USA

Nov 132013

The contact owns a 2013 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while driving approximately 10 mph, there was a sudden loss of acceleration power and the contact crashed into another vehicle. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries reported. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was unable to be replicated. The contact mentioned that on another occasion, a technician inspected the vehicle and advised that the safety stop switch was not properly installed in the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 600.

- Killer, TX, USA

Mar 272013

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the vehicle speed control hesitated when at stop sign on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis, but the dealer was unable to duplicate the problem. The manufacturer was notified of the incident the approximate failure mileage was 5.

- Boyntom Beach , FL, USA

Feb 052013

Camry 4WD 4-cyl

Car was stopped behind a landscaper's trailer for a second and the engine accelerated so fast and so loudly and overrode the brake smashing into the back of the trailer. Husband was unable to reach the keys to turn off the engine. Wife was injured in chest area and taken to the hospital. This was a loaner from Toyota until they investigated why our highlander was accelerating the day before. The consumer stated Toyota insisted there was nothing wrong with the vehicle. Updated 05/01/13

- Rockville Centre, NY, USA