2013 Toyota Camry steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Toyota Camry:

2013 Toyota Camry Owner Comments

Apr 102016

The contact owned a 2013 Toyota Camry. While driving at a low speed, the vehicle independently accelerated. In addition, the steering wheel seized and the brake pedal was depressed, but failed to respond. As a result, the contact crashed into a pole. The contact was unsure if the air bags deployed. The contact sustained injuries to the legs, back, and left arm that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed and deemed destroyed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN and failure mileage were unknown. Udated 08/04/16

- Mobile, AL, USA

Mar 072016

While driving the vehicle either on a city street or highway or turning the vehicle comes to a complete stop. Nothing works, car wont start, key will not move, gear is stuck. This has happen three times within a year. The dealer has check it out but has no answer to why it happens. My air-condition fogs up the window, as so does the heater making the visibility difficult. There was also a strong odor of gas when you make a turn. All my complaints have been reported but nothing done. My fear is a major accident will be cause because of this.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Mar 202015

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 20 mph, the steering wheel would shake violently and the vehicle would veer to the side. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, where it was diagnosed that the two front tires were defective and needed to be replaced. The tires were replaced. However, the failure recurred. In addition, the contact stated that when starting the engine, there was a loud noise present. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 41,912. MA 9/22

- Marion, AR, USA

Jul 092015

While parked the power steering electronic control unit (ECU) failed, rendering the steering ineffective. At speed this failure could have lead to a serious accident. I am now very fearful of my wife driving this vehicle with a system as critical as the steering unit that fails prematurely when only 2yrs. Old.

- Lyman, SC, USA

Sep 012014

Camry 4-cyl

I would like to state that my car requires constant steering. It will not continue in a straight line. It will always drift in the apposite direction of the last correction. To date I have 11,400 miles on the car.

- Vicksburg, MS, USA

Jul 242013

Camry 6-cyl

Vehicle wanders in lane from side to side.

- Park Ridge, IL, USA

Dec 052013

Camry 4-cyl

Vehicle wanders side to side. Almost undetectable. Occurs in every circumstance regardless of driving condition- speed, condition of highway, weather etc. Not imminently dangerous, but could be as when passing trailer truck at speed on highway. Returned to dealer and after test drive by technician claimed condition undetectable, or just a peculiarity of vehicle. Technician inflated front tires to 37psi and stated that \this cured problem. It did not.

- Bedford, MA, USA

Jul 012014

Vehicle wanders requiring constant correction. Dealer said could not feel any wandering tendencies. Everyone who has driven vehicle confirms defect.

- Bedford, MA, USA

Jul 132013

Camry 4-cyl

I purchased brand new car from darcars located at 12210 cherry hill rd, silver spring, md 20904 on May 27th, 2013. First incident took place approximately less than 4,780 mileages; I began having trouble with my steering. During this incident, I was driving on I95-N near exit 43 of Maryland while the vehicle was in motion suddenly the steering was locked and the steering warning sign with the beep noise for a second came on. I panicked I couldn't not turn the steering at all. Luckily, I tried very hard and was able to force the steering to turn a fraction of a degree angle where I was able to safely pull the car on the shoulder without hurting anyone. At that point I restarted the car and the steering was unlocked. I took my car back to the dealer for repairs on 07/15/2013 but, to date, the dealer has been unable to correct the problem. Attached are copies of the repair orders that document the dealership's attempts to repair my car. While I was driving this vehicle on guildford roa second incident took place approximately 15000 miles, when my brother in law was driving this vehicle to Georgia. At approximately 12 a.M at night after refueling the vehicle he was heading back on the I95-S. the same incident had occurred. At that point only thing I suggested him to restart the car and move on. After the second incident I did received a letter from Toyota manufacture about the recall on HVAC assembly causing a leak which can ruin the sensor causing steering issues, air bag issues and etc. The car was taken back to a dealer żżantwerpenż located at 12420 auto drive, clarksville, md 21029 where the recall fix was performed. However, the dealer has been unable to correct the problem again. Third incident took place approximately at 31,500 miles on 06/14/2014 at 1:45 pm on the guilford road, jessup, md going toward the intersection of rt-1 (aka Washington bl.

- Elkridge, MD, USA

Mar 152014

Camry 4-cyl

While driving at highway speed, the car wanders left or right. Keeping the car straight takes significant effort without constantly make correction to the steering wheels. Reported to dealer, but dealer said cant duplicate the problem. This is a real safety hazard.

- Duluth, GA, USA

Dec 182013

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the steering wheel became rough when driving or when attempting a turn in either direction. There was also an abnormal noise from the steering wheel with the illumination of the power steering warning light. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the tires needed to be inflated to the correct pressure. The contact also stated that the air bag warning light was illuminated. The contact was at as top sign when another vehicle crashed into the front driver"S side of the contact"S vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. The driver sustained neck, back and head injuries and a police report was filed. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 13V44200 (air bags, electrical system, equipment) however, the vehicle was not included in the air bag recall. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 3000. Updated 05/12/14 MA the consumer stated another vehicle struck the driver side front left wheel and dragged his vehicle sideways toward a telephone pole. He applied the brake, but the vehicle did not stop. He hit the window during impact and was knocked unconscious. Updated 05/14/14

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Jul 092013

Camry 6-cyl

Vehicle does not trac straight on it's own. I find myself constantly turning the steering wheel slightly left to right, right to left in order to go straight. If you turn the steering wheel slightly left or right it will continue to go in that direction. Finding the exact steering wheel position to go straight and keeping it straight is a chore and tiring.

- Glendale, NY, USA

Dec 282013

The contact owns a 2013 Toyota camary. The contact stated while driving approximately 5 mph as she made a left turn the steering wheel seized. The contact crashed into another vehicle and sustained an injury to her head, and shoulder. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanics garage. The failure was not diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 12,500. The VIN was not available. 12,500.

- Sharon, MA, USA

Oct 012013

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while driving approximately 70 mph, the vehicle swayed from side to side. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 5,000...updated 12-30-13 the consumer stated the failure was reported to Toyota via an online survey. Updated 1/17/2014

- New River, AZ, USA

Mar 302013

Camry 4-cyl

We leased a 2013 Toyota Camry xle on Friday March 29th, 2013 at 9:00 pm. From manhattan beach Toyota in manhattan beach California. The very next day, Saturday March 30th, 2013 while driving northbound on highway 99 near bakersfield at 65 miles per hour to lindsay California from inglewood California, I heard a "ding" sound and I felt the steering wheel stiffen up. I had to immediately hold on tightly to the steering wheel to try and keep control of the car. I then noticed all of the dashboard lights had turned on. I also noticed that all of the gauges were no longer functioning. My wife and I were very terrified as we immediately thought of that poor family that lost their lives during a Toyota malfunction. As I tried to keep control of the car, looking for an exit off the highway, I realized that the power steering was no longer working. The car was difficult to maneuver, but I was able to pull off the highway and take the car to bill wright Toyota nearby. They were unable to fix the car that day and I had to leave it there. The car was in their possession for 6 days as I was told that a Toyota engineer needed to go to bakersfield and fix the problem. Toyota had to replace the whole electronic control unit.

- Inglewood, CA, USA

May 212013

Camry 4-cyl

Vehicle is ok at approximately <50mph but at highway speeds it requires 100% concentration to not veer out of the driving lane. It wanders all over the road on its own. It behaves like you are driving in a severe cross wind though there is no wind present. Many such complaints all over the internet. Completely unsafe and I have forbidden my family from driving it and am in the process of selling it.

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Apr 062013

I bought this new Camry and drove it off the lot, it seems fine at lower speeds. When you get up to highway speeds or freeway speeds the car always seems to wonder from side to side. You constantly have to make corrections with the wheel. If you take your eyes off the road for a second you can very easily wind up in the oncoming lane of a two way highway. I thought it might be just me, so I had several other people drive it and they experienced the same thing. The steering is a real safety hazard. Besides this one problem, I realy like this car.

- Pleasanton, NE, USA