CarComplaints.com Notes: The Camry Hybrid's first year is a mixed bag of brake actuators failing and power issues. The hybrid version even shares the same excessive oil consumption as its non-hybrid counterpart. And it hardly gets enough fuel efficiency gains to warrant the extra costs up-front or during repairs.

Toyota seemed to get their act together with later model years, so if you're looking for a used Camry Hybrid I suggest looking there.

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid:

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 3 of 16)

Sep 272015

Camry Hybrid

I started my car this morning and a message that said check vsc system appeared. The brake light and master warning lights also appeared. I started to go out the drive way and could not press the brakes. It was a little jumpy and the brakes are hard to press now.

- Kinston, NC, USA

Mar 102015

Camry Hybrid

While driving on freeway car lost some braking power and slight pulsing could be felt when pressing on brakes. At the same time the dash lights all lit up; emergency brake light, ABS light, warning lights, and screen said check vsc system. Prior to system failing emergency brake light would randomly turn on... very scary when driving 65 mph. Also at slower speeds, it is difficult to apply adequate pressure on the brake pedal to stop normally.

- Burbank, CA, USA

Jan 052015

Camry Hybrid

While I was driving on level ground with the foot lightly on the accelerator, a warning bell and various warning lights went off (including ABS and check vsc system). When I put on the brakes I had to push much harder than usual in order to slow the vehicle. These conditions continued for three miles, at which point the warning signals discontinued and the braking returned to normal. Both an independent repair shop and the local Toyota dealer did not find error codes or identify a cause for what I experienced. The dealer installed a new brake fluid reservoir as part of a limited service campaign. It would not, however, install a new brake actuator assembly or brake stroke sensor as part of the ZE1 warranty enhancement since it did not find error codes. Toyota's national customer experience center would also not authorize the replacement of these parts due to a lack of error codes. Six months and 5000 miles later the problem has not happened again. Updated 09/06/16

- Highland Park, NJ, USA

Jun 232015

Camry Hybrid

I was doing about 55 on the beltway on 6/23/15. I went to slow down the car as the traffic was beginning to back up. The brakes failed and I was able to steer onto the shoulder and let it coast until finally the brakes started to work again.

- Hyattsville, MD, USA

Jun 192015

Camry Hybrid

The Toyota Camry hybrid shows the "check vsc system" message on the dashboard with the brake, hazard, warning, and ABS lights. Upon research it seems like a known Toyota issue with their faulty ABS accumulator. The replacement cost is a staggering $2500+ quoted by the dealers. Without replacing it affects the brake systems. There is pulsating in the brakes. There is also water pump leak associated with this. This should be handled by Toyota with a recall. There are lots of reporting for this same issue and fixing this issue is so costly and for a know failed/fauly component.

- Austin, TX, USA

Apr 022015

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact stated that the brake pedal extended to the floor when it was depressed and the stopping distance increased. The contact indicated that the brake and ABS sensors illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 175,232.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Jun 032015

Camry Hybrid

Check vsc system warning came on along with brake and other warning icons. Have noticed that this is a more than normal problem for 2007 Camry hybrids.

- Orlando, FL, USA

May 192015

Camry Hybrid

I was just leaving my house and approaching a stop sign. As I engaged to brakes nothing happened and out of nowhere the car makes a hard stop and my dash lights up with warning lights. Instantly nothing about this car seems safe!

- Biloxi, MS, USA

May 092015

Camry Hybrid

Driving today with my son in the car I lost all brake power. Unable to use the brakes then moments later it returned.

- Davenport, FL, USA

Apr 102015

• 4,112,015 miles
I had taken the car in for an oil consumption test. While I was there I was advised of a bulletin stating an brake reservoir tank needed to be replaced. When I got the car back everything seem fine. The next day I heard what I would call a chirping coming from inside the engine department. I didn't have time to see where it was coming from at that time. I checked it later the next day, but couldn't get it to act up. Again, the next day I heard it again. It took several days for me to figure out that it only showed up when the brakes were depressed. I waited to take care of it since I knew I was going to take the car back for the oil consumption test and it was only a noise. On 2/7/15 I took it back to the dealer. They told me it was a faulty actuator and it would cost $1447.39 to repair. I went on line regarding the problem with the reservoir. It states "analysis of the failure data indicate that each condition provides warning prior to any reduction in power assisted braking, with less than 10 percent of all reports and claims involving diagnostic codes or complaint narratives indicating increased braking effort or reduced brake effectiveness. In addition, most of the incidents in which reduced braking assist appears to have occurred involved operation in a reduced assist mode and not a sudden, complete loss of power assisted braking". in those cases they will replace the actuator. I feel this was caused by by the reservoir being replaced. I never had a problem until this was done!

- Bontia, CA, USA

May 012015

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

When braking for a yellow stoplight. I lost all brakes and brake pressure. Several indicator lights including the ABS light as well as a message "check vsc system". there were no vehicles next to me so I was able to change lanes to clear traffic in oncoming turn lanes and pass through the intersection safely. The brakes reengaged at the next application of the brake. We drove the vehicle home and the event occurred at each stop, approx 10 occurrences, depressing the brake and failing with the errors above then redepressing to engage the system.

- Clear Lake, MN, USA

Apr 252015

Camry Hybrid 6-cyl

Braking went very soft. Check vsc system warning message appeared along with multiple dash light and additional error message to check hybrid system.

- Wilmington, NC, USA

Apr 162015

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I was backing up in my driveway, turning the vehicle around. The check vsc warning message came on as well as the ABS warning light and another red exclamation point. The brakes ceased working properly, jerking with even the lightest touch, and not working at all for a few scary seconds, and then suddenly jerking as if they had been slammed on hard. After driving the vehicle down our roadway for a half mile, we concluded that the brakes were going to continue to do this as the condition did not change.

- Soddy Daisy, TN, USA

Mar 252015

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

When I was driving at 65 mph..the check vsc system warning came on. This happened about 1 month ago. I thought nothing of it because it went off after I started the car again...so 3 weeks later it comes on again and goes off. When it cane on the brakes didn't work as well, and all of the warning lights were on. Yesterday on 3/25/2015 it came on and has now stayed on. The brakes are working correctly, however, I know something is wrong. I have been researching this issue and found out that Toyota is assisting with fixing this issue. M Y next step is to call them.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Mar 202015

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

On 20 March 2015, while starting the car, a warning indicator showed up on my instrument panel. The indicator stated ( check hybrid system.....vsc system ). I parked the car for the day. Day 2, I took the car to a auto shop and had a basic scan that reads ABS codes performed on the car. The basic scan reveled to "replace battery pack". two mechanics informed me while performing the scan, a burning odor was observed from the car. I drove the car home and parked it. I lastly observed the only information displayed from the instrument panel was " check hybrid system". the only lights on were the warning light and the engine light.

- Plant City, FL, USA

Feb 232015

Camry Hybrid

"check vsc system". brake system will not work properly. Must push very hard to get any braking. Then the vsc will engage and brake very hard. I experienced this one week ago; my wife experienced it this morning dropping of the kids to school. The car has a very dangerous jerking action as the brakes engage and disengage based on the computer.

- Canyon Lake, CA, USA

Feb 082015

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact stated that the brake system failed to engage while attempting to stop. The driver had to shift gears into reverse and neutral in order to reduce speed. Also, the contact attempted to engage the emergency brake which failed to engage. The driver was able to merge to the side of the road, where the vehicle was restarted and resumed normal functioned. The failure was experienced several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the ABS module needed to be replaced. In addition, the contact mentioned that the brake fluid reservoir was replaced under a manufacturer campaign. However, the failure was not corrected. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 97,000. ## VIN passed ## Toyota Camry hybrid ##

- Blomingdale , IL, USA

Feb 182015

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving my car lost all braking capabilities with "check vsc system" message on instrument panel, ABS light, parking brake light, traction control light, engine light, warning light illuminated. Fortunately, I was able to pull car off of the road and into a parking lot. I waited several hours and tried again to start the car to take to Toyota for service. The car ran just fine driving to Toyota and now they are refusing to fix because it will not repeat the issue. I told them of warranty enhancement program ZE1 which indicates the problem with the car, they are not willing to fix still. This is a serious safety issue that will kill someone eventually. If I am in an accident caused by this issue with Toyota not willing to fix, I will be filing lawsuit. God help me because I have two small kids that ride in my car often.

- Wake Forest, NC, USA

Feb 032015

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving on the freeway ian's the brakes failed to apply no pressure. Emergency lights turn onwait about 10 minutes there and turn the car back on and it started working again. Call my local Toyota dealer said it will cost 1500 dollars to fix. Don't know if this will happen again.

- Hawthorne, CA, USA

Feb 062015

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I was driving my car going to work I was going 30 mph when with out any explanation a brake red warning light pop up in the screen on my 2007 Toyota hybrid I try to put the brakes and they were not working I begging to panic thanks god I do not enter the highway and I was able to pull to a mechanic shop that was very closed. The mechanic check the brakes in the car and every looks good he said I told him what are you taking about the brakes where not working I explain and then I remember a couple weeks ago I got a recall in the mail and give to mechanic and he explain to me that I have to take the car to the dealer right away. I am afraid to drive this car I contact the Toyota head quarters and they said they will fixed for free the real issue here is many of this cars in the roads we drive all children in these cars. They recall should say take you car to the dealer right away because you can injured yourself O somebody many lives will be safe in this companies built their cars paying more attention specially to the brakes. I am very concern about this issue. Today all I have to say I thank god that I am alive and I do not injured myself or any other person.

- East Lyme, CT, USA