Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The Camry Hybrid's first year is a mixed bag of brake actuators failing and power issues. The hybrid version even shares the same excessive oil consumption as its non-hybrid counterpart. And it hardly gets enough fuel efficiency gains to warrant the extra costs up-front or during repairs.

Toyota seemed to get their act together with later model years, so if you're looking for a used Camry Hybrid I suggest looking there.

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid:

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 3 of 15)

Apr 022015

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact stated that the brake pedal extended to the floor when it was depressed and the stopping distance increased. The contact indicated that the brake and ABS sensors illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 175,232.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Jun 032015

Camry Hybrid

Check vsc system warning came on along with brake and other warning icons. Have noticed that this is a more than normal problem for 2007 Camry hybrids.

- Orlando, FL, USA

May 192015

Camry Hybrid

I was just leaving my house and approaching a stop sign. As I engaged to brakes nothing happened and out of nowhere the car makes a hard stop and my dash lights up with warning lights. Instantly nothing about this car seems safe!

- Biloxi, MS, USA

May 092015

Camry Hybrid

Driving today with my son in the car I lost all brake power. Unable to use the brakes then moments later it returned.

- Davenport, FL, USA

Apr 102015

• 4,112,015 miles
I had taken the car in for an oil consumption test. While I was there I was advised of a bulletin stating an brake reservoir tank needed to be replaced. When I got the car back everything seem fine. The next day I heard what I would call a chirping coming from inside the engine department. I didn't have time to see where it was coming from at that time. I checked it later the next day, but couldn't get it to act up. Again, the next day I heard it again. It took several days for me to figure out that it only showed up when the brakes were depressed. I waited to take care of it since I knew I was going to take the car back for the oil consumption test and it was only a noise. On 2/7/15 I took it back to the dealer. They told me it was a faulty actuator and it would cost $1447.39 to repair. I went on line regarding the problem with the reservoir. It states "analysis of the failure data indicate that each condition provides warning prior to any reduction in power assisted braking, with less than 10 percent of all reports and claims involving diagnostic codes or complaint narratives indicating increased braking effort or reduced brake effectiveness. In addition, most of the incidents in which reduced braking assist appears to have occurred involved operation in a reduced assist mode and not a sudden, complete loss of power assisted braking". in those cases they will replace the actuator. I feel this was caused by by the reservoir being replaced. I never had a problem until this was done!

- Bontia, CA, USA

May 012015

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

When braking for a yellow stoplight. I lost all brakes and brake pressure. Several indicator lights including the ABS light as well as a message "check vsc system". there were no vehicles next to me so I was able to change lanes to clear traffic in oncoming turn lanes and pass through the intersection safely. The brakes reengaged at the next application of the brake. We drove the vehicle home and the event occurred at each stop, approx 10 occurrences, depressing the brake and failing with the errors above then redepressing to engage the system.

- Clear Lake, MN, USA

Apr 252015

Camry Hybrid 6-cyl

Braking went very soft. Check vsc system warning message appeared along with multiple dash light and additional error message to check hybrid system.

- Wilmington, NC, USA

Apr 162015

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I was backing up in my driveway, turning the vehicle around. The check vsc warning message came on as well as the ABS warning light and another red exclamation point. The brakes ceased working properly, jerking with even the lightest touch, and not working at all for a few scary seconds, and then suddenly jerking as if they had been slammed on hard. After driving the vehicle down our roadway for a half mile, we concluded that the brakes were going to continue to do this as the condition did not change.

- Soddy Daisy, TN, USA

Mar 252015

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

When I was driving at 65 mph..the check vsc system warning came on. This happened about 1 month ago. I thought nothing of it because it went off after I started the car 3 weeks later it comes on again and goes off. When it cane on the brakes didn't work as well, and all of the warning lights were on. Yesterday on 3/25/2015 it came on and has now stayed on. The brakes are working correctly, however, I know something is wrong. I have been researching this issue and found out that Toyota is assisting with fixing this issue. M Y next step is to call them.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Mar 202015

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

On 20 March 2015, while starting the car, a warning indicator showed up on my instrument panel. The indicator stated ( check hybrid system.....vsc system ). I parked the car for the day. Day 2, I took the car to a auto shop and had a basic scan that reads ABS codes performed on the car. The basic scan reveled to "replace battery pack". two mechanics informed me while performing the scan, a burning odor was observed from the car. I drove the car home and parked it. I lastly observed the only information displayed from the instrument panel was " check hybrid system". the only lights on were the warning light and the engine light.

- Plant City, FL, USA

Feb 232015

Camry Hybrid

"check vsc system". brake system will not work properly. Must push very hard to get any braking. Then the vsc will engage and brake very hard. I experienced this one week ago; my wife experienced it this morning dropping of the kids to school. The car has a very dangerous jerking action as the brakes engage and disengage based on the computer.

- Canyon Lake, CA, USA

Feb 082015

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact stated that the brake system failed to engage while attempting to stop. The driver had to shift gears into reverse and neutral in order to reduce speed. Also, the contact attempted to engage the emergency brake which failed to engage. The driver was able to merge to the side of the road, where the vehicle was restarted and resumed normal functioned. The failure was experienced several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the ABS module needed to be replaced. In addition, the contact mentioned that the brake fluid reservoir was replaced under a manufacturer campaign. However, the failure was not corrected. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 97,000. ## VIN passed ## Toyota Camry hybrid ##

- Blomingdale , IL, USA

Feb 182015

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving my car lost all braking capabilities with "check vsc system" message on instrument panel, ABS light, parking brake light, traction control light, engine light, warning light illuminated. Fortunately, I was able to pull car off of the road and into a parking lot. I waited several hours and tried again to start the car to take to Toyota for service. The car ran just fine driving to Toyota and now they are refusing to fix because it will not repeat the issue. I told them of warranty enhancement program ZE1 which indicates the problem with the car, they are not willing to fix still. This is a serious safety issue that will kill someone eventually. If I am in an accident caused by this issue with Toyota not willing to fix, I will be filing lawsuit. God help me because I have two small kids that ride in my car often.

- Wake Forest, NC, USA

Feb 032015

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving on the freeway ian's the brakes failed to apply no pressure. Emergency lights turn onwait about 10 minutes there and turn the car back on and it started working again. Call my local Toyota dealer said it will cost 1500 dollars to fix. Don't know if this will happen again.

- Hawthorne, CA, USA

Feb 062015

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I was driving my car going to work I was going 30 mph when with out any explanation a brake red warning light pop up in the screen on my 2007 Toyota hybrid I try to put the brakes and they were not working I begging to panic thanks god I do not enter the highway and I was able to pull to a mechanic shop that was very closed. The mechanic check the brakes in the car and every looks good he said I told him what are you taking about the brakes where not working I explain and then I remember a couple weeks ago I got a recall in the mail and give to mechanic and he explain to me that I have to take the car to the dealer right away. I am afraid to drive this car I contact the Toyota head quarters and they said they will fixed for free the real issue here is many of this cars in the roads we drive all children in these cars. They recall should say take you car to the dealer right away because you can injured yourself O somebody many lives will be safe in this companies built their cars paying more attention specially to the brakes. I am very concern about this issue. Today all I have to say I thank god that I am alive and I do not injured myself or any other person.

- East Lyme, CT, USA

Dec 262014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

My daughter was driving and all of a sudden the brake pedal started to have difficulty braking. There was a thump of some sort in the feel of the brake pedal when being depressed. The next morning when starting the car, there was an error message displayed saying "check vsc system with check hybrid system alternating. These messages along with the check engine, traction control and several other lights lit up and remained on. This is the second time this has happened to this car and after searching the internet I have found out that this is a very common, dangerous and expensive problem with the Toyota Camry hybrids. From many similar stories I have read, Toyota and Toyota dealers respond to this issue as a known problem and if they are so aware there should be a suitable resolution offered along with a recall for all Toyota Camry hybrid owners so our lives will not be in danger. Delaying fixing this issue will eventually cost someone their life.

- Chino, CA, USA

Nov 012014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

As I was traveling on a highway the ABS went out and almost all brake and stability control lights came on and I lost almost all braking and stability control of the car. I was later told by the dealer that the ABS actuator had gone out and needed to be changed ($1500). It turns out that Toyota is aware of this very dangerous issue and are not issuing a recall. I was told that theyre offering an warranty extension if you know what to ask for since they don't volunteer the information. I can't stress how dangerous of a situation this has left me while driving at high speeds. It seems like everyone is aware of this issue but nobody is doing anything about it. Here's also a report by consumer reports magazine from July 2014 that outlines the issue:

- Littleton, CO, USA

Jan 082014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Approx mid January 2014 while going down the hwy about 40 miles from home my vsc light came on and I lost almost all the use of my brakes, which really frighten me. I am single and have no family around to help. I got off the hwy and went very slow. The light went off before I got home and I didn't have another problem with it until Dec 2014 while going to work. The light came on and off twice before I got to work and I lost brakes use. Then it happen again first week Jan. 2015. It has happen twice recently and I'm getting worried about driving the car. You never know when it might happen and it is very dangerous. I looked it up on the internet and saw quite a few other people were having the same problem. I can't afford to have it fixed. I hope your investigation can help correct this problem before someone get hurt or worse killed. I has to be a defect in the vehicle if this many people are having this problem. Thank you for your time.

- Chickamauga, GA, USA

Sep 052013

Camry Hybrid

As I was on a 2-hour drive to meet my brothers for the appointment to enter my elderly mother into assisted living all the warning lights on my dash lit up. I was afraid to continue so I stopped at the dealership to see if it was safe to keep going. They said it was the brake filter reservoir assembly and that I should not continue on the trip until it was replaced. They did replace it at no cost. I was unable to make it to my mother's assisted living appointment, leaving my brothers "holding the bag." One month later, on October 9, 2014, I was again traveling at 55 mph when all of the brake warning lights lit up again. Since I was not far from home I turned around and parked my car in the driveway until I could make an appointment with the dealership. Upon examination at the dealership, I was told that it was the brake actuator assembly. They said that the diagnostic codes that came up were not even something they had seen before and they had to get them interpreted by Toyota. Their explanation was that the "brains" of the braking system had gone bad and it would be a very costly expense. They did work with me, accepted a coupon that I had, copped a loaner vehicle, and replaced the actuator at a cost of $1755.27. Now I get a letter in the mail saying that there is a "warranty enhancement program." When I called the dealership to ask about reimbursement for these charges I was told I would need to take my vehicle in again for an inspection. Since it's an hour drive to the dealership and it seems it's becoming an almost monthly trip for something or other, I'm not a happy camper. Toyota needs to get it together!!!

- Washington, GA, USA

Dec 282014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Started the car and the "brake" warning light immediately came on. Also, in the multi-information display at the center of the speedometer, the message "check vsc system" appeared. I thought maybe my parking brake was causing a problem, so I engaged and disengaged that. Then I tried to drive the car. The brake pedal behaves as if there is no brake-assist. I jam it to the floor to get minimal braking. I drove slowly and carefully home in this condition. In subsequent trips (over the last two days) I have only seen this again one more time. When the system does not report the problem, the brakes work fine. And in that one case where the problem re-appeared, I was able to turn the car off and back on again a few times, until the problem disappeared. I have not seen the problem begin while I am driving -- only when I am starting the car. However, I've now seen others describe the problem as beginning during driving, so I will be extremely careful and get the car to the dealer asap.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA