Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The Camry Hybrid's first year is a mixed bag of brake actuators failing and power issues. The hybrid version even shares the same excessive oil consumption as its non-hybrid counterpart. And it hardly gets enough fuel efficiency gains to warrant the extra costs up-front or during repairs.

Toyota seemed to get their act together with later model years, so if you're looking for a used Camry Hybrid I suggest looking there.

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid:

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 5 of 15)

Nov 042013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

ABS light is on. So far the car stops fine but makes a strange sound when applying brakes and vehicle vibrates when coming to a stop. Antilock brakes do not seem to be working as the car does skid in wet conditions.

- Las Cruces , NM, USA

Aug 272014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Was very hot outside for 3 weeks straight. On the way to the grocery store check engine light came on with the following 2 readouts on speedometer display: "check vsc" and "check hybrid system". instantly the hybrid part of the vehicle stopped working. Brakes changed feel and throttle became very delayed. When I pulled into my driveway and put the transmission into park, the engine started to knock. When I put into drive or neutral the knocking stops. The engine knocked hard in park position as if there are loose pieces of metal crunching. Ever since then, the car's hybrid drive doesn't work and check engine light is on, ABS light, vsc light P/S light, a red triangle light, and an orange circle with an exclamation point in it. We parked the car and we are not driving it until its fixed. We have 2 toddlers and we aren't going to risk driving it.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Aug 292014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving, 4 light appeared: The master warning light, the brake light, the ABS light, and the yellow warning light, along with the message "check vsc system". after this happened, I pulled over and turned off the car. Now when pressing the brake pedal to start the car, I hear loud irregular clunking sounds, and the green light on the power button doesn't light up for 2 seconds, indicating the car cannot be immediately started. Car drives fine, but I'm afraid the brakes will become faulty at any time.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Aug 082014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Car was making barking noise when stepping on the brake. Dealer replaced master cylinder, actuator, and brake fluid reservoir. Drove the vehicle for two weeks without problem or recurrence. 8/25/14 all the brake warning lights and the vsc system warning came on. No problems with brakes when driving to the dealer. Dealer said ABS computer needed to be replaced for $1500. My first repair was $780. I wanted to add my complaint about the braking system to those already submitted.

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Mar 012013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Started the vehicle, put it into reverse to back out of the driveway as I brake at the end of the driveway the dashboard lit up with warning lights- first just the brake warning light in orange but then the master warning light, electronically controlled brake system, ABS and slip indicator all illuminated and the check vsc system message appears. This problem has occurred multiple times - especially prevalent during cold weather. In my driveway the problem is frustrating but on the road it is downright dangerous. The brakes become very difficult to use. I've driven it to the mechanic multiple times but the warning lights disappear and the brakes start functioning properly. Luckily one time I arrived with all the warning lights still illuminated. According to the mechanic there are no problem codes recorded making it challenging to determine the source of the problem. He suspects it is the ABS brake actuator but cannot guarantee replacing it will solve the problem and the repair is almost $3,000.

- Roswell, GA, USA

Aug 122014

Camry Hybrid

I took my car to the Toyota for the campaign they have or recall for the brake problem that these Camry hybrid have because mine says check vsc, and a lot of light are on but its actually the actuator but they only changed the brake reservoir everything was fine until I made it to the house all the lights came back on the guys from the dealer informed me the reservoir ain't going to fix the problem I bought the car used with 149600 miles only 3 months ago thinking that kind of miles ain't much when it comes to Toyota just got the vehicle and can't use it thanks

- Baytown, TX, USA

Aug 152014

Camry Hybrid

Upon starting the automobile, the vsc, ABS, brake and other warning lights came on. The break catches and/or must be pumped to come to a complete stop. In addition, the vehicle seems to hyper-accelerate when in idle, especially in reverse. A local dealer/service center says a computerized part must be replaced for $2100.

- Columbus, GA, USA

Mar 122014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Master, brake, electronically controlled brake, anti-lock brake, and slip indicator warning lights came on as well as 'check vsc system light.

- Round Hill, VA, USA

Aug 032014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Going down a long hill, started to brake at about 70mph and the front of the car started to shake. As I continued to brake the shaking got worse. Very frightening; thought the car was going to shake apart.

- Covina, CA, USA

Dec 052012

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Regularly when I drive this car I press the brakes and they do not engage or they engage on a delay. I have mentioned it to the Toyota service center several times. I first noticed the issues immediately after I purchased the car. I reported my concerns to Toyota who dismissed my complaint. Toyota always tells me nothing is wrong with the brakes. They also told me that it would cost my $140 to look into the problem.

- Fountain, CO, USA

Feb 142014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving I attempted brake to slow entry into uphill driveway. All lights on driver panel lit up. Brakes did not respond to slow down or stop. With full force I depressed brake pedal. Since drive way was uphill, I coasted to stop just short of garage door before crashing. This was not the first time the brakes totally failed during last couple of months. I drove to dealership for second time to have beaks inspected. The car was also making loud noise whenever brakes applied. The service manager said the brake system was examined by several technicians. Again, they found nothing wrong with brakes and told me the car was safe to drive! despite several recent brake failures, two visits to Toyota dealership, the service manager said the loud noise when braking came from the "brake actuator, " which could be replaced for $2,900! quote from service invoice of March 18, 2014, follows: "tech 165630 performed diagnosis on brake noise from inside cab of vehicle. Test drove with customer to verify noise. Found that brake actuator is the cause of internal noise when at a stop while brake is applied. Suggest new brake actuator and brake flush and re-test for noise again." Service manager and technicians said, "it' safe to drive." I do not believe it is safe to drive. Since I am a visiting hospice nurse, that car is my office. I wonder when the brakes will fail again, and when the incessant loud noise will stop. I took the car to an independent foreign car repair shop. They said, "the actuator is the source of the noise and your braking problem. However, we can't get an actuator to replace Toyota's part because it is a "locked part" in the engine. Only Toyota dealers can obtain the part, and only a Toyota dealer can install the part." Will you help?

- Woodbridge, CA, USA

Aug 012014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving, a notification was given "check vsc system". the ABS light as well as the red brake system are on as well. Brakes are not as responsive and it is difficult to stop. We will not be able to have the system checked till next week. A search on the internet says this is bad.

- Oviedo, FL, USA

Jun 202014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Brakes shuddered and seats vibrated strongly while driving on a highway known as the grapevine in California. Many cars around as speeds varied between 45 - 70 mph depending on congestion points. Applying brakes to slow down would feel as if they were shuddering and not stop. After finally finishing grapevine portion and driving back to lower flatter elevation, the brakes acted normally. No dash lights indicating any problem. Took car to Toyota dealership the morning after trip and describe scary ride. Diagnostics did not find problems. Road tests were normal. Since then, no further instance of brakes shuddering.

- San Leandro, CA, USA

Jul 202014

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact stated that while driving at 50 mph, the brake pedal was applied and the brake system failed to engage. The stability control and the ABS warning lights illuminated while the failure occurred and remained illuminated. The vehicle was able to restart and function as normal. The vehicle was taken to a dealer which diagnosed a failure code on the brake actuator. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The current and failure mileage was 140,000.

- Garden Grove , CA, USA

Jun 102014

Camry Hybrid

I have a problem with the ABS unit pulsing on my 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. The ABS unit makes a clunking noise while coming to a stop and will continue clunking as if it is engaging and disengaging while the brakes are depressed. This does not happen if I roll very slowly into the stop with light brake pressure. The ABS unit also cycles every few seconds before driving and after the car is powered off. Took the car to the dealer and they said it would be a $3,000 repair of an internal leak in the ABS unit. The technician said it would be safe to drive as is, without repair, and that he knew of no issues with the ABS unit on the 2007 Camry hybrid. But Toyota seems to know of an issue. Here is the address of Toyota's "warranty enhancement" program:

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Jul 092013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The brake actuator malfunctioned and the brakes began pulsating and groaning when applied. This happened on the baltimore Washington parkway. Braking power was greatly reduced and I had to coast to a stop in the shoulder of the highway and slowly make my way to an exit ramp as it was too unsafe to continue driving at speed and I was worried that the car was a danger to myself and other drivers in that condition. The brakes would pulsate/groan whenever the car was in drive and they were applied. When I took the car to a Toyota dealer for servicing two days later (I did not drive the car at all in the interim), they told me that there was a problem with the actuator and that it would need to be replaced. This cost $2156. I had replaced the brake rotors, pads, and had a brake fluid flush completed just 2 months before in this vehicle. From the documents on file with NHTSA, my incident appears to be a common problem with this make/model/year car. As this could have easily caused an accident, I believe Toyota should be responsible for ensuring that the actuator is recalled and that others are not put into the same, potentially dangerous, situation.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jul 022014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While turning left in an intersection, the "brake", "warning", "stability" and "ABS" warning lights came on as well as "check vsc system". simultaneously, I lost brake power. I drove approximately 2 mi to home with no ability to control my speed using power brakes. Instead, the only brakes I had were the equivalent of using the emergency brake; a very hard, jerking motion. The Toyota dealer first told me that I was low on brake fluid and I could now pick up my car. I argued that I should have seen an "idiot" light first rather than complete failure of my braking system! 5 days later, and several conversations with corporate, the "skid control computer" was replaced for $2,000! this is such a dangerous failure on an automobile! if I had been on the freeway, there certainly would have been a serious accident! this is unacceptable. Please investigate!

- San Dimas, CA, USA

Dec 112012

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

On 12/11/12 I was on the highway and the check vsc system light came on with the ABS lights, master warning, brake lights, and others. The brakes were hard to depress. Luckily there was no traffic that morning or else I would have caused an accident. I pulled off the road and shut the car down. I restarted the car and the lights were off and it was drivable again. I immediately called the dealership and brought the car in. They told me they were not able to retrieve a trouble code except for battery voltage. They replace a battery that cost me $511. That did not fix the problem. On 12/22/12 the problem occurred again and I rolled into an intersection because I was not able to depress the brakes all the way. Once again, luckily there were no cars in the intersection. Brought it to the dealership and was told once again they were not able to retrieve a trouble code. From that time on I tried replacing tires because the master mechanic told me it my be the different ware on my tires, still no relief. From 2012 to yesterday the warnings appeared. There was the same ticking and squeaking sound that was originally reported. The light were on constantly and the breaking system was still difficult to depress. I had to make sure I rented a when driving long distances and to leave plenty of room while driving to ensure safe distance for my faulty braking system. So, it was fixed with $2000 to replace the brake actuator system by a different dealership. Now my car sounds normal and drives normal again. I believe that if so many people are having the same safety problem there should be a recall. Luckily I was never involved in a collision or fatality but I could definitely see it happening.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jul 082014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

When I started the car, the dash display said "check vsc system". when I backed the car out of the driveway, the brakes were erratic, either very weak, or very strong. I was unable to control them for safe braking. There was no code in the obd system (I have a obd scan tool.). an internet search indicates that repairs will probably be about $3,000. The car is not be safe to drive until this is repaired.

- Renton, WA, USA

Jan 142014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact stated it was difficult to engage the brakes and when the brake pedal was depressed it vibrated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 90,000 and the current mileage was 95,000.

- Springfield, VA, USA