Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The Camry Hybrid's first year is a mixed bag of brake actuators failing and power issues. The hybrid version even shares the same excessive oil consumption as its non-hybrid counterpart. And it hardly gets enough fuel efficiency gains to warrant the extra costs up-front or during repairs.

Toyota seemed to get their act together with later model years, so if you're looking for a used Camry Hybrid I suggest looking there.

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid:

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 6 of 15)

Jul 072014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Driving vehicle today and the check hybrid system light came on. A short time later the check vsc system came on and the car no longer accelerated. I pulled over and turned the car off. I waited a while before starting again and was able to get the car home. I haven't gone to the dealership yet but will update when I do. The car will not be driven until it is services, I'm scared it can kill me!

- Gary, IN, USA

May 052014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Upon depressing brake pedal (at stop or while moving), a loud "chirping" type noise repeats until brake pedal is released. My local dealer indicated it was the ABS brake actuator that may be leaking internally, and that until it leaks externally would be ok to drive, although could be a few days or a few months before needing replacement. They estimated the cost of repair at $3,000. About 45 days later, I am getting multiple warning lights on my dashboard, including the ABS system, brake light (normally only on when I have the emergency brake engaged), check vsc system, and a general warning symbol. After doing some research online, I see there are up to 59 complaints already filed with the NHTSA regarding this issue, many indicating sudden brake loss. I feel I must take this immediately to a Toyota dealer for repair, even at the huge expense, and all while on the road during my family vacation as it may not be safe to drive at this time.

- Fort :Lauderdale, FL, USA

Apr 022014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The check vsc system on. Vsc, ABS & brake lights lit up. Went to the dealer to computer diagnose, they said there is a few code. They want to be pay first before they will give me an estimate for the repair. So I went to a outside repair shop for diagnose cost $35. They said the brake actuator need to be replace. Will cost $2000. Now the ABS & traction control is no working. I am afraid this car will cause accident or kill someone.

- La Puente, CA, USA

Jun 272014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving on a street at 35 mph hit a bump in the road and the asb and brake lights came on red, and multi-information center showed check vsc system. At the same time a car pulled out in front of me and brakes seemed to not work and required a heavy force on pedal for any stopping action. I was lucky no one was in left lane so I switched to it to keep from hitting the car that pulled out in front of me.took car to shop and need to have ABS mod. Replaced.

- Belle Chasse, LA, USA

Jan 062014

Camry Hybrid

While driving the "check vsc system" light came on and I had to stand on the gas pedal to get the car to stop. There we no brakes on this vehicle. A buzz stays on continuously with the light on also but to get the car to stop, you need to stand on the pedal with both feet and push down as hard as the pedal will go. I took it to the dealer where I was told the brake actuator needs replaced and the part alone costs $2500. The part must be a new one instead of getting one from the junk yard because the old ones leak and Toyota recognizes there is a problem so they redesigned it. Everyone with a hybrid will have this problem eventually so why hasn't this car been recalled yet?

- Pickerington, OH, USA

Feb 092013

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact stated that the front brakes were emitting a loud noise intermittently and the ABS sensor illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer. The technician was unable to neither replicate nor diagnose the failure. In a different occasion, the contact stated that while traveling at an unknown speed, the brake pedal was applied and the brakes failed to engage. The contact mentioned that all of the sensors illuminated on the instrument panel and after several attempts the vehicle finally came to a complete stop. The vehicle was towed from the contacts residence to another authorized dealer who replaced the front brakes. The failure recurred and the authorized dealer later indicated that the ABS modulator assembly and the skid control ECU needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure several times to no avail. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Lebanon, TN, USA

Nov 112013

Camry Hybrid

My 2007 Camry hybrid has braking issues. I have the pumping noise when brakes are depressed, which just keeps getting louder. Earlier this year I almost slammed into the cars in front of me once when, while I was coming to a stop all my brake lights came on and my car shot forward. I had to swerve into the oncoming lane to avoid rear-ending the car in front of me. Thankfully there were no cars in the oncoming lane at that moment. Once I was stopped all the lights went off and I backed up into a driveway to get out of traffic. Very scary.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jun 202014

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, the brakes failed. The contact mentioned that the traction warning light, the emergency brake light, the ABS, and low tire pressure lights were illuminated.the vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the brake actuator had to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 137,000.

- Placentia, CA, USA

Jan 212014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

'check vsc system' along with brake light warning, ABS warning, and pretty much every other warning light possible came on my 2007 Camry hybrid in January 2014. The brakes began to bark like a dog when pressed and frequently the brakes would give out and I would have to put the pedal to the floor to stop the car. The car was unsafe to drive so I took it to the Toyota dealer and was quoted 3900 dollars to fix the issue. It seems to be a widespread issue and Toyota needs to take care of the issue, but they have not.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 052014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While traveling on the highway at speeds of over 60 mph, several warning lights became illuminated simultaneously on the vehicle's dashboard. The lights that were illuminated included the ABS indicator, parking brake indicator, and warning light, among others. The text "check vsc system" is also constantly displayed on the vehicle's dashboard. Since these warning lights have illuminated, breaking has become more difficult and the vehicle shakes while breaking at low speeds.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Sep 012012

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving on the freeway, the brake failure light came up and the brakes became ineffective. As I was driving, the brakes went soft to the floor, and then all of a sudden engaged. It brake so hard, it felt like a hit something. A few days later, the brake light, traction/stability control (vsc) and ABS lights turned on, and check vsc system displayed. I took it to Toyota dealer and they diagnosed the problem as ABS actuator failure and malfunctioning of the rear brakes. I contacted Toyota about the failure and they claimed that my situation was one of a kind and there was not pattern of similar failures for this model. After prolonged arguments with Toyota and the dealership, I could not get them to address the problem under the 100,000 miles warranty for the hybrid components of the car. I had to pay over $3,000 to get the car repaired. Today, I found out (through consumer reports forums) that there are other owners of this car that have faced exactly the same problem, indicating that this is not an isolated problem and needs to be investigated by NHTSA before someone is seriously injured or loses life.

- Sugar Land, TX, USA

Jun 102009

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

We took our Camry to a brake shop due to weak performance and loud screeching sound. After inspection the mechanic said that the rear brake pads were metal on metal and the fronts were not even broken in. This was most likely an indication of a problem with the ABS system for which I would have to take the car to the dealer. We went straight to the dealer and they first refused to check it out then when we insisted, they took the car around the building and said there was no problem. All throughout the time we always had issues with stopping at a reasonable distance, the car losing control in wet weather and the feeling of always driving on ice. We learned later on that my 14 year old daughter was driving the car without a driver license and rear ended another vehicle. When asked, she said that she hit the breaks but the car didn't stop. We always thought that this was due to her inexperience but now we think that it was because of the problem with the breaks. About about a few month ago the ABS, break, vsc lights intermittently started coming on and now they're on full time. I always suspected that there was a problem but the dealer said there was no problem and dismissed us and had no choice but to take their word for it. I just came across an article online that said ntsb was investigating a similar issue and wanted to offer our help if you need it. We still have our vehicle but it was repaired after the crash. My daughter had to go to the emergency room due to neck pain. We certainly didn't appreciate her stealing the car without a license but are thankful that she's ok.

- Littleton, CO, USA

Jun 172014

Camry Hybrid

Was slowing down to make a turn vsc error on display loud tone from dash car would not stop until I downshifted and used parking brake if there had been a car in front of me I would have slammed into it full force.someone will get injured from this defect dealer says around $2500 to fix and they stated if I wait probably will be recalled soon...when?

- Weston, FL, USA

Jun 172014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

First: I got check vsc system when I made a U-turn. I read the failure code is C1391. So, it means ABS accumulator is leaking. I also noticed ABS accumulator was pretty noise about two month before. I though it may be a problem, but I did not pay attention on it because I was suffering the engine oil consumption. Now, it really died. I got many cases online about this issues and they reported that Toyota has redesigned this accumulator, so it means Toyota already knew this problem. This is a very important issue. It may cause deadly accident if the brake doesn't work suddenly. In addition, fix this problem needs over two thousands dollars. It should not be paid by owner since this is a design defect. I hope Toyota will recall this problem. Second, this car's engine piston ring has defect. This causes engine oil consumption. In fact, my car is burning engine oil now. It's about 1500 miles/0.6quart. It will get worse and this also may cause engine failure in the future.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Jun 032014

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Camry hybrid. The contacts stated that after powering up the vehicle, the tire pressure, brake and the ABS lights illuminated. The contact mentioned that the brake pedal became soft and the brake distance increased failing to bring the vehicle to a complete stop. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 142,216 and the approximate current mileage was 142,230.

- Houston , TX, USA

Jun 112014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

As I was backing up, the brakes went soft to the floor, and then all of a sudden the brakes engaged. It brake so hard, it felt like a hit something. A few days later, the brake light, traction control and ABS lights turned on, and check vsc system displayed. I took it to Toyota and they said it was code-1391, abnormal leak in accumulator. The cost was going to be $2694. I declined the repair, because I don't have money to repair.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jun 092014

Camry Hybrid

Brake actuator failed after several days of increased noise and difficulty braking. Toyota dealership gave me a $3800 quote to repair. They made no mention of similar safety issues with other customers even though there is an NHTSA investigation going on.

- Walnut Creek , CA, USA

Dec 092013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Two different issues with brakes occurring on multiple dates. First, ineffective slowing when depressing the brakes and various lights came on including ABS and brakes and warning to take to dealer immediately. The vehicle was harder to stop and required pumping the brakes to eventually stop. This happened intermittently and dealer could not get it to repeat. Second issue is brakes making noise when depressing either as the vehicle slows or while holding brake down while stopped. This is very concerning as both appear to be complaints currently under investigation. Please respond as soon as possible on current status of investigation.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Sep 202013

Camry Hybrid

I was only driving my vehicle about a mile when it first happened. I was approaching a stop light and attempted to apply the brakes. Nothing happened. The steering went out and the brakes felt like they weren't catching. Thankfully, I was only going about 25-30 mph, and had enough space to stop before hitting another car that was stopped at the light. I looked at the dashboard display and noticed something that read, "check vsc system". there was also a warning triangle. The Camry manual instructed us to bring it to the dealership - but I can't afford that. The next day, it worked fine. A few weeks later, the incident happened again while I was exiting the highway and coming to a red light. I was decelerating from about 65 mph to a full stop and felt the brakes give again and the steering was difficult. I was able to pull over, turn off the car, and restart and it was fine again. I had the brake pads changed, but don't understand what is happening. We didn't have the problem for several months. But now it feels like the brakes want to give when I am idling in traffic. While my foot is on the brake, the car will squeak and subtly jerk forward like the brakes are about to give up the ghost. It's really scary, but I can't afford another car at this time. I've looked into the vsc system and don't understand why that would intermittently affect my braking and steering ability.

- Tomball, TX, USA

May 042011

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Parked the auto, was in a meeting for 45 min. Started the auto and "check vsc system" warning came on. Tried driving and brakes were erratic, took to dealer, they said that they had to reprogram the computer because I had done something to the battery. Not true. But it seemed that the problem was corrected as it performed ok. On May 29, 2014 I backed the car out of our garage and parked it on the street, about one hour later I started it to return it to the garage and the "check vsc system" came on and the brakes were very erratic. I then took the vehicle to the closest dealer and they checked it and informed me that the brake control computer needed to be replaced at accost of nearly $2000. As this appears to be a safety issue I feel that Toyota should have recalled the vehicle and replaced the defective parts under a recall program. I feel very fortunate that the brake control computer did not fail while the car was moving.

- Granger , IN, USA