CarComplaints.com Notes: The Camry Hybrid's first year is a mixed bag of brake actuators failing and power issues. The hybrid version even shares the same excessive oil consumption as its non-hybrid counterpart. And it hardly gets enough fuel efficiency gains to warrant the extra costs up-front or during repairs.

Toyota seemed to get their act together with later model years, so if you're looking for a used Camry Hybrid I suggest looking there.

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid:

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 6 of 16)

Jul 092013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The brake actuator malfunctioned and the brakes began pulsating and groaning when applied. This happened on the baltimore Washington parkway. Braking power was greatly reduced and I had to coast to a stop in the shoulder of the highway and slowly make my way to an exit ramp as it was too unsafe to continue driving at speed and I was worried that the car was a danger to myself and other drivers in that condition. The brakes would pulsate/groan whenever the car was in drive and they were applied. When I took the car to a Toyota dealer for servicing two days later (I did not drive the car at all in the interim), they told me that there was a problem with the actuator and that it would need to be replaced. This cost $2156. I had replaced the brake rotors, pads, and had a brake fluid flush completed just 2 months before in this vehicle. From the documents on file with NHTSA, my incident appears to be a common problem with this make/model/year car. As this could have easily caused an accident, I believe Toyota should be responsible for ensuring that the actuator is recalled and that others are not put into the same, potentially dangerous, situation.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jul 022014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While turning left in an intersection, the "brake", "warning", "stability" and "ABS" warning lights came on as well as "check vsc system". simultaneously, I lost brake power. I drove approximately 2 mi to home with no ability to control my speed using power brakes. Instead, the only brakes I had were the equivalent of using the emergency brake; a very hard, jerking motion. The Toyota dealer first told me that I was low on brake fluid and I could now pick up my car. I argued that I should have seen an "idiot" light first rather than complete failure of my braking system! 5 days later, and several conversations with corporate, the "skid control computer" was replaced for $2,000! this is such a dangerous failure on an automobile! if I had been on the freeway, there certainly would have been a serious accident! this is unacceptable. Please investigate!

- San Dimas, CA, USA

Dec 112012

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

On 12/11/12 I was on the highway and the check vsc system light came on with the ABS lights, master warning, brake lights, and others. The brakes were hard to depress. Luckily there was no traffic that morning or else I would have caused an accident. I pulled off the road and shut the car down. I restarted the car and the lights were off and it was drivable again. I immediately called the dealership and brought the car in. They told me they were not able to retrieve a trouble code except for battery voltage. They replace a battery that cost me $511. That did not fix the problem. On 12/22/12 the problem occurred again and I rolled into an intersection because I was not able to depress the brakes all the way. Once again, luckily there were no cars in the intersection. Brought it to the dealership and was told once again they were not able to retrieve a trouble code. From that time on I tried replacing tires because the master mechanic told me it my be the different ware on my tires, still no relief. From 2012 to yesterday the warnings appeared. There was the same ticking and squeaking sound that was originally reported. The light were on constantly and the breaking system was still difficult to depress. I had to make sure I rented a when driving long distances and to leave plenty of room while driving to ensure safe distance for my faulty braking system. So, it was fixed with $2000 to replace the brake actuator system by a different dealership. Now my car sounds normal and drives normal again. I believe that if so many people are having the same safety problem there should be a recall. Luckily I was never involved in a collision or fatality but I could definitely see it happening.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jul 082014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

When I started the car, the dash display said "check vsc system". when I backed the car out of the driveway, the brakes were erratic, either very weak, or very strong. I was unable to control them for safe braking. There was no code in the obd system (I have a obd scan tool.). an internet search indicates that repairs will probably be about $3,000. The car is not be safe to drive until this is repaired.

- Renton, WA, USA

Jan 142014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact stated it was difficult to engage the brakes and when the brake pedal was depressed it vibrated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 90,000 and the current mileage was 95,000.

- Springfield, VA, USA

Jul 072014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Driving vehicle today and the check hybrid system light came on. A short time later the check vsc system came on and the car no longer accelerated. I pulled over and turned the car off. I waited a while before starting again and was able to get the car home. I haven't gone to the dealership yet but will update when I do. The car will not be driven until it is services, I'm scared it can kill me!

- Gary, IN, USA

May 052014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Upon depressing brake pedal (at stop or while moving), a loud "chirping" type noise repeats until brake pedal is released. My local dealer indicated it was the ABS brake actuator that may be leaking internally, and that until it leaks externally would be ok to drive, although could be a few days or a few months before needing replacement. They estimated the cost of repair at $3,000. About 45 days later, I am getting multiple warning lights on my dashboard, including the ABS system, brake light (normally only on when I have the emergency brake engaged), check vsc system, and a general warning symbol. After doing some research online, I see there are up to 59 complaints already filed with the NHTSA regarding this issue, many indicating sudden brake loss. I feel I must take this immediately to a Toyota dealer for repair, even at the huge expense, and all while on the road during my family vacation as it may not be safe to drive at this time.

- Fort :Lauderdale, FL, USA

Apr 022014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The check vsc system on. Vsc, ABS & brake lights lit up. Went to the dealer to computer diagnose, they said there is a few code. They want to be pay first before they will give me an estimate for the repair. So I went to a outside repair shop for diagnose cost $35. They said the brake actuator need to be replace. Will cost $2000. Now the ABS & traction control is no working. I am afraid this car will cause accident or kill someone.

- La Puente, CA, USA

Jun 272014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving on a street at 35 mph hit a bump in the road and the asb and brake lights came on red, and multi-information center showed check vsc system. At the same time a car pulled out in front of me and brakes seemed to not work and required a heavy force on pedal for any stopping action. I was lucky no one was in left lane so I switched to it to keep from hitting the car that pulled out in front of me.took car to shop and need to have ABS mod. Replaced.

- Belle Chasse, LA, USA

Jan 062014

Camry Hybrid

While driving the "check vsc system" light came on and I had to stand on the gas pedal to get the car to stop. There we no brakes on this vehicle. A buzz stays on continuously with the light on also but to get the car to stop, you need to stand on the pedal with both feet and push down as hard as the pedal will go. I took it to the dealer where I was told the brake actuator needs replaced and the part alone costs $2500. The part must be a new one instead of getting one from the junk yard because the old ones leak and Toyota recognizes there is a problem so they redesigned it. Everyone with a hybrid will have this problem eventually so why hasn't this car been recalled yet?

- Pickerington, OH, USA

Feb 092013

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact stated that the front brakes were emitting a loud noise intermittently and the ABS sensor illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer. The technician was unable to neither replicate nor diagnose the failure. In a different occasion, the contact stated that while traveling at an unknown speed, the brake pedal was applied and the brakes failed to engage. The contact mentioned that all of the sensors illuminated on the instrument panel and after several attempts the vehicle finally came to a complete stop. The vehicle was towed from the contacts residence to another authorized dealer who replaced the front brakes. The failure recurred and the authorized dealer later indicated that the ABS modulator assembly and the skid control ECU needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure several times to no avail. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Lebanon, TN, USA

Nov 112013

Camry Hybrid

My 2007 Camry hybrid has braking issues. I have the pumping noise when brakes are depressed, which just keeps getting louder. Earlier this year I almost slammed into the cars in front of me once when, while I was coming to a stop all my brake lights came on and my car shot forward. I had to swerve into the oncoming lane to avoid rear-ending the car in front of me. Thankfully there were no cars in the oncoming lane at that moment. Once I was stopped all the lights went off and I backed up into a driveway to get out of traffic. Very scary.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jun 202014

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, the brakes failed. The contact mentioned that the traction warning light, the emergency brake light, the ABS, and low tire pressure lights were illuminated.the vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the brake actuator had to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 137,000.

- Placentia, CA, USA

Jan 212014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

'check vsc system' along with brake light warning, ABS warning, and pretty much every other warning light possible came on my 2007 Camry hybrid in January 2014. The brakes began to bark like a dog when pressed and frequently the brakes would give out and I would have to put the pedal to the floor to stop the car. The car was unsafe to drive so I took it to the Toyota dealer and was quoted 3900 dollars to fix the issue. It seems to be a widespread issue and Toyota needs to take care of the issue, but they have not.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 052014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While traveling on the highway at speeds of over 60 mph, several warning lights became illuminated simultaneously on the vehicle's dashboard. The lights that were illuminated included the ABS indicator, parking brake indicator, and warning light, among others. The text "check vsc system" is also constantly displayed on the vehicle's dashboard. Since these warning lights have illuminated, breaking has become more difficult and the vehicle shakes while breaking at low speeds.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Sep 012012

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving on the freeway, the brake failure light came up and the brakes became ineffective. As I was driving, the brakes went soft to the floor, and then all of a sudden engaged. It brake so hard, it felt like a hit something. A few days later, the brake light, traction/stability control (vsc) and ABS lights turned on, and check vsc system displayed. I took it to Toyota dealer and they diagnosed the problem as ABS actuator failure and malfunctioning of the rear brakes. I contacted Toyota about the failure and they claimed that my situation was one of a kind and there was not pattern of similar failures for this model. After prolonged arguments with Toyota and the dealership, I could not get them to address the problem under the 100,000 miles warranty for the hybrid components of the car. I had to pay over $3,000 to get the car repaired. Today, I found out (through consumer reports forums) that there are other owners of this car that have faced exactly the same problem, indicating that this is not an isolated problem and needs to be investigated by NHTSA before someone is seriously injured or loses life.

- Sugar Land, TX, USA

Jun 102009

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

We took our Camry to a brake shop due to weak performance and loud screeching sound. After inspection the mechanic said that the rear brake pads were metal on metal and the fronts were not even broken in. This was most likely an indication of a problem with the ABS system for which I would have to take the car to the dealer. We went straight to the dealer and they first refused to check it out then when we insisted, they took the car around the building and said there was no problem. All throughout the time we always had issues with stopping at a reasonable distance, the car losing control in wet weather and the feeling of always driving on ice. We learned later on that my 14 year old daughter was driving the car without a driver license and rear ended another vehicle. When asked, she said that she hit the breaks but the car didn't stop. We always thought that this was due to her inexperience but now we think that it was because of the problem with the breaks. About about a few month ago the ABS, break, vsc lights intermittently started coming on and now they're on full time. I always suspected that there was a problem but the dealer said there was no problem and dismissed us and had no choice but to take their word for it. I just came across an article online that said ntsb was investigating a similar issue and wanted to offer our help if you need it. We still have our vehicle but it was repaired after the crash. My daughter had to go to the emergency room due to neck pain. We certainly didn't appreciate her stealing the car without a license but are thankful that she's ok.

- Littleton, CO, USA

Jun 172014

Camry Hybrid

Was slowing down to make a turn vsc error on display loud tone from dash car would not stop until I downshifted and used parking brake if there had been a car in front of me I would have slammed into it full force.someone will get injured from this defect dealer says around $2500 to fix and they stated if I wait probably will be recalled soon...when?

- Weston, FL, USA

Jun 172014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

First: I got check vsc system when I made a U-turn. I read the failure code is C1391. So, it means ABS accumulator is leaking. I also noticed ABS accumulator was pretty noise about two month before. I though it may be a problem, but I did not pay attention on it because I was suffering the engine oil consumption. Now, it really died. I got many cases online about this issues and they reported that Toyota has redesigned this accumulator, so it means Toyota already knew this problem. This is a very important issue. It may cause deadly accident if the brake doesn't work suddenly. In addition, fix this problem needs over two thousands dollars. It should not be paid by owner since this is a design defect. I hope Toyota will recall this problem. Second, this car's engine piston ring has defect. This causes engine oil consumption. In fact, my car is burning engine oil now. It's about 1500 miles/0.6quart. It will get worse and this also may cause engine failure in the future.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Jun 032014

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Camry hybrid. The contacts stated that after powering up the vehicle, the tire pressure, brake and the ABS lights illuminated. The contact mentioned that the brake pedal became soft and the brake distance increased failing to bring the vehicle to a complete stop. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 142,216 and the approximate current mileage was 142,230.

- Houston , TX, USA