CarComplaints.com Notes: The Camry Hybrid's first year is a mixed bag of brake actuators failing and power issues. The hybrid version even shares the same excessive oil consumption as its non-hybrid counterpart. And it hardly gets enough fuel efficiency gains to warrant the extra costs up-front or during repairs.

Toyota seemed to get their act together with later model years, so if you're looking for a used Camry Hybrid I suggest looking there.

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid:

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 7 of 16)

Jun 112014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

As I was backing up, the brakes went soft to the floor, and then all of a sudden the brakes engaged. It brake so hard, it felt like a hit something. A few days later, the brake light, traction control and ABS lights turned on, and check vsc system displayed. I took it to Toyota and they said it was code-1391, abnormal leak in accumulator. The cost was going to be $2694. I declined the repair, because I don't have money to repair.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jun 092014

Camry Hybrid

Brake actuator failed after several days of increased noise and difficulty braking. Toyota dealership gave me a $3800 quote to repair. They made no mention of similar safety issues with other customers even though there is an NHTSA investigation going on.

- Walnut Creek , CA, USA

Dec 092013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Two different issues with brakes occurring on multiple dates. First, ineffective slowing when depressing the brakes and various lights came on including ABS and brakes and warning to take to dealer immediately. The vehicle was harder to stop and required pumping the brakes to eventually stop. This happened intermittently and dealer could not get it to repeat. Second issue is brakes making noise when depressing either as the vehicle slows or while holding brake down while stopped. This is very concerning as both appear to be complaints currently under investigation. Please respond as soon as possible on current status of investigation.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Sep 202013

Camry Hybrid

I was only driving my vehicle about a mile when it first happened. I was approaching a stop light and attempted to apply the brakes. Nothing happened. The steering went out and the brakes felt like they weren't catching. Thankfully, I was only going about 25-30 mph, and had enough space to stop before hitting another car that was stopped at the light. I looked at the dashboard display and noticed something that read, "check vsc system". there was also a warning triangle. The Camry manual instructed us to bring it to the dealership - but I can't afford that. The next day, it worked fine. A few weeks later, the incident happened again while I was exiting the highway and coming to a red light. I was decelerating from about 65 mph to a full stop and felt the brakes give again and the steering was difficult. I was able to pull over, turn off the car, and restart and it was fine again. I had the brake pads changed, but don't understand what is happening. We didn't have the problem for several months. But now it feels like the brakes want to give when I am idling in traffic. While my foot is on the brake, the car will squeak and subtly jerk forward like the brakes are about to give up the ghost. It's really scary, but I can't afford another car at this time. I've looked into the vsc system and don't understand why that would intermittently affect my braking and steering ability.

- Tomball, TX, USA

May 042011

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Parked the auto, was in a meeting for 45 min. Started the auto and "check vsc system" warning came on. Tried driving and brakes were erratic, took to dealer, they said that they had to reprogram the computer because I had done something to the battery. Not true. But it seemed that the problem was corrected as it performed ok. On May 29, 2014 I backed the car out of our garage and parked it on the street, about one hour later I started it to return it to the garage and the "check vsc system" came on and the brakes were very erratic. I then took the vehicle to the closest dealer and they checked it and informed me that the brake control computer needed to be replaced at accost of nearly $2000. As this appears to be a safety issue I feel that Toyota should have recalled the vehicle and replaced the defective parts under a recall program. I feel very fortunate that the brake control computer did not fail while the car was moving.

- Granger , IN, USA

May 022014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving up a slight incline the indicating lights on the dashboard suddenly illuminated - red brake system warning icon, red ABS light, red brake light, red master warning light. In addition, the screen displayed "check vsc system" and an audible warning tone sounded. From about 6 months prior to this incident, the brake actuator motor would cycle on/off frequently after a trip. Over time, the duration of the on and off cycling after a trip gradually increased from about 30 seconds to approximately 90 seconds. The actuator motor also cycled when opening the door before a trip. Other symptoms that surfaced prior to this incident included frequent on/off cycling of the brake actuator motor at traffic light stops and an audible "barking" sound from under the hood. Research on the world-wide-web revealed many owners with same symptoms. Because the engine in the hybrid cars turn off during normal operation, engine vacuum is not readily available for the power brake assistance as found in conventional automobiles. Consequently, the failure of the power assist is due to the inadequate design of the hybrid system. Furthermore, I understand that the replacement brake actuator part that Toyota provides for the 2007 and 2008 Camry hybrids has a different part no. Than the original one provided. This strongly suggests that Toyota recognizes its original brake actuator has a faulty design. I have not driven the car since this incident for fear of losing the power assist on the brakes. The local Toyota dealer has not replied to my inquiry on this matter. I also have a 2009 Camry hybrid and although the brake actuator cycles on and off after opening the door before a trip and after the system is shutdown following the trip, the cycle is very short and the duration is no longer than 30 seconds. I do not have any brake problems with the 2009 model.

- Aiea, HI, USA

May 232013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Coming to a street stop at 15 mph ABS lights and some other came on. It was very hard to stop the vehicle even with all possible pressure on pedal.

- Colton, CA, USA

May 232014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Vehicle started in driveway, foot on brake. When parking brake was released the vehicle rolled into street despite the brake pedal being depressed. Brakes engaged suddenly after rolling out into traffic. Second incident at gas station. Vehicle in drive, foot on brake, when parking brake released vehicle began to roll forward, a thud was heard and brakes applied suddenly after rolling several feet.

- Antelope, CA, USA

May 282014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While braking on a slight incline my 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid's power brakes and steering malfunctioned making the vehicle hard to steer and stop. It felt as if both the power brakes and steering went out simultaneously and the car seemed to roll, or sway, left and right. At the same time a "check vsc system" warning appeared on my dash along with the red brake indicator light, red service indicator light (triangle with exclamation point), amber brake system warning light and the amber ABS warning light. If I had been traveling at a higher rate of speed, in heavy traffic or had I been approaching a crowded crosswalk or intersection this event could have been disastrous. After pulling over and visually inspecting my brake fluid level and engine compartment I used my cell phone to check online and found others with similar problems (which led me here to file a complaint/report). After waiting on the side of the road for about a half hour the warning message and lights went out so I slowly drove to the dealer 5 miles away. The dealer informed me that the ABS actuator needed to be replaced at a cost of $3607.88 (plus tax on the $3000 part). My southern California Toyota csr proclaims to have never heard of this issue -- even though my web searching has turned up lots of discussion and articles (I.e. L.a. times report, cbs, nbc, ap, Consumer Affairs plus the NHTSA announcement of the opening of their investigation at the end of January 2014).

- Coto De Caza, CA, USA

Aug 172012

Camry Hybrid

The power brakes failed on my 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid while I was trying to stop after a vehicle ahead of me swerved exposing a broken down car in the traveling lane...updated 08-26-14

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

May 282014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving on highway my brake light turned on. I thought I left the emergency brake pedal down, but everything was fine. Suddenly all warning lights in dashboard turned on, as a reaction I tried to apply brakes and to my surprise my brakes wouldn't brake properly.

- Siloam Springs, AR, USA

Apr 092014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

First incident of brake failure happened on the drive way of my home. Starting the car for the morning commute, had the "check vsc" sign and other warning lights lit on the dash. I tried pressing the brake pedal and shutting and restarting the car. After a few tries, the warnings were gone and break paddle felt normal. Second incident happened while I was on a freeway traveling at 65 miles an hour. All of a sudden the dash board lit up with warning lights ad I lost the braking power. Luckily, I was able pullover without an incident. If the investigation on this subject has stated as of Jan 2014, when should we expect to hear from the Agency on the outcome?

- Frisco, TX, USA

May 042014

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact stated that there was an intermitent knocking noise from the engine compartement. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who was not able to neither duplicate nor diagnose the failure. Since the failure persisted the vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, who diagnosed that the ABS actuator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was to be repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 115,000.

- Richmond Hill, GA, USA

Jan 162013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The vsc light appeared & the car lost brakes. Like others, I have experienced failure of the brake actuator / boost accumulator. Although the brakes work to a degree, there is no boost. Despite application of my maximum effort to depress the brake pedal, stopping distances are very long and stopping speeds are very slow. I consider the car dangerous to drive & has been shelved pending NHTSA review. Reports are that Toyota has known of this problem & has refused to address it NHTSA should require that Toyota replace this part at no cost to the consumer in view of Toyota unconscionable behavior.

- Merion, PA, USA

Mar 192014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

This complain is on behalf of my wife's Camry hybrid, same issue I had in my 2009 Camry hybrid few years back, sudden warning lights on dash and brake failure resuming normal operation few seconds or minutes later without leaving any trace for tech to see, if it was cheaper for GM not to recalling $.50 part I sure Toyota would not want to recall $1700 part, please look into it I have the old defective part available for testing if necessary.

- Sterling Heights , MI, USA

Apr 142014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The brake light illuminated on my dash as I was sitting in stop and go traffic. About 10 minutes later, I was traveling about 55 mph and attempted to push my brakes to stop for a stop light. The brakes did not respond normally and it took about 4 times as long to get the car to stop compared to normal responsiveness. Simultaneously, my entire dash board lit up with warning lights. I proceeded to pull over to a safe place, going maybe 10mph, I went to park and rolled into the curb in front of my car because I could not get the brakes to stop the car. I placed the car in park. All indicator lights cleared and brakes started working again. I had the car towed to a Toyota certified mechanic, who told me that nothing had registered in the computer. The car was then driven a bit to try to recreate the problem and towed to a Toyota dealer. Eventually the C1345 and C1468 codes appeared. Toyota was contacted and recommended the accumulator assembly be replaced, brake system bleed, reset memory and calibrated linear valve. Expensive repair was completed and the car is now driving again.

- Littleton, CO, USA

May 122014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

When I tried to apply brakes to stop, I realized that the brake had completely failed and I was on the 110 freeway on a busy Monday morning. Luckily I didn't rear end the car in front of me. The dealer is telling me that my brake system (accuator and electronic components) are out. The car computer system cannot communicate to the brake system and thus I might loose brakes if I keep running. The check vsc system light turned on along with the ABS, hybrid battery, park and all other alert lights on the dash board. In addition, I'm told my auxillary battery is also out ($460) dealer is charging me $4800 dollar (excluding the aux battery) and I don't know what to do since the car is with the dealer and I'm told the brakes will fail if I continue to drive. I have 104,000 miles and have done all servicing at Toyota dealers. No warranties and basically they can't help.

- Harbor City, CA, USA

Jan 032014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

"check vsc system" warning for Toyota Camry hybrid 2007 ┐┐check vsc" warning came on before the brakes lost some of their power. We had intermittent loss of braking on the freeway, resulting in loss of brake power, delayed braking activation and increased brake pedal effort, therefore the car took longer to stop. It was a dangerous and very scary situation but we managed to slow down and stop. In the last 5 months, we have gotten this warning while driving or just before leaving home. It always goes away after one or two engine start and stops. The first time it happened the car has been two weeks in an airport parking lot. The dealer ran the diagnostics and they said they could not see the code because it was not stored in memory. Without brakes on the freeway we could have been killed!

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

May 102014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Driving along a city road in my 2007 Camry hybrid (mileage approx. 49K) at about 25-30 mph when I saw the "check vsc system" and "check hybrid system" warnings on mil and simultaneously got no response from pressing either the brake or ignition pedal. Car would not go and would not stop. I coasted to the shoulder and the car slowed to a stop (fortunately in a legal parking spot!). I am having it towed to the dealer tomorrow. I will provide an update when I know more.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Dec 202013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I was on the hwy and suddenly felt my brakes not working properly and started making a noise in immediately multiple lights turned on including ABS. I took it to the dealership and they are asking me to replace the ABS pump/accumulator which will cost over $3000. I am a single mother and bought this used car to save on my expenses and now I am not even in the condition to fix it due to financial constraints. I sent and email to Toyota executives but did not receive any reply. I am still driving the car with all the lights on. God know what next.

- Sugar Land, TX, USA