Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The Camry Hybrid's first year is a mixed bag of brake actuators failing and power issues. The hybrid version even shares the same excessive oil consumption as its non-hybrid counterpart. And it hardly gets enough fuel efficiency gains to warrant the extra costs up-front or during repairs.

Toyota seemed to get their act together with later model years, so if you're looking for a used Camry Hybrid I suggest looking there.

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid:

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 9 of 15)

Mar 282014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I was driving on the freeway, when the vsc and ABS warning lights came on. I noticed a loss of braking power. The brakes "pop" when I depress the petal upon starting. I have noticed the brakes jerk on two occasions. I am concerned about my safety when I drive the vehicle, but cannot afford to repair it at this moment. The replacement part alone is over $2,100. On a side note, I previously owned a 2009 Camry xle that had the same problem.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Feb 122013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Car was parked. Turned on ignition and saw multiple waening lights. Drove to dealer for repairs and was told brake actuator assembly needs to exchanged.

- Katy, TX, USA

Mar 202014

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph and applying the brakes, the vehicle failed to respond. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the brake actuator assembly needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and offered to cover part of the repair costs. The vehicle was repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 86,000.

- Teaneck, NJ, USA

Mar 102014

Camry Hybrid

I was driving my 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid and went to brake and my dash emergency lights, brake light, check vsc light, ABS, and traction control light went on and my brakes did not work. I was able to slow down without incident. Took it to two mechanics then finally to a Toyota dealership. The Toyota dealership could not fins anything wrong with it and sent me on my way. Two weeks later it happened again. My wife was driving just over 40 mph and applied the brakes and they did not work. She was able to swerve into a parking lot and cruise to a stop. The brakes work intermittently and come and go. Moving the car to a parking spot a few minutes later the brakes did not work when I started to move the car, but while moving it the warning lights went off and the brakes started to work again. This is a recurring problem that you do not know when the brakes will go out. The is a serious issue that needs to be looked at immediately.

- Oceanside, CA, USA

Feb 122014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

My cars brake system is making a clunking noise, and I'm seeing a loss of breaking ability. While at a stop light with the brakes depressed it is particularly noticeable and loud. Finally the check vsc system warning came on the dash so I took it to the dealer for diagnoses. The diagnosis was that the ABS actuator is making the noise and the accumulator pressure is lower than spec. The quote to repair it was $5104.61.

- Holualoa, HI, USA

Mar 272014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Travelling about 30 mph I stepped on the brakes. Brake pedal felt 'hard' and car barely decelerated, nearly hitting another car as a result. Just missed car, but very shaken I took it to a nearby shop. They said the brake accumulator was failing, that part would be about $2600 and labor over $300.

- Georgetown, TX, USA

Aug 152013

Camry Hybrid

After starting the vehicle and putting it in drive, I take my foot off the brake and the car lurches forward several yards, a bunch of warning lights flash on and the "check vsc system" message comes up (only on this last time). The brakes do not respond and steering is very difficult. Then after a few seconds, all the warning lights go off and everything is fine. This has happened 4 times. I'm grateful it's only occurred in parking lots but after reading about this happening to others, I'm very afraid this will happen at higher speeds. The dealership can't replicate my experience so they say everything is fine. When I ask about actuator issues that others have had, they deny any knowledge of a problem.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Mar 242014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Apparently my brakes lost significant brake pressure and I thought I might crash. Further when I start my car the brakes do not fully kick in until 5-10 seconds later so I tend to roll forward or backwards. I took the car to three dealerships and they all said my ABS actuator was bad and needed to be replaced. The part costs $2,600 just to buy from Toyota and then coast an additional $800 in labor to install. That is insane. I looked on the internet and her are tonsss of Camry with this problem. Clearly this as a design flaw and I should not have to pay to replace a part that Toyota failed to design safely. Not I can't safely drive with the broken part....

- Agoura Hills, CA, USA

Dec 282013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I was pulling into a parking space (in a parking garage) and when I attempted to brake, the car continued to accelerate. It was finally stopped when it smashed into steel cables in front of the parking space.

- Oberlin, OH, USA

Jan 062014

Camry Hybrid

Check vsc light, brake light, stability light all flash and ABS doesn't work.

- Prairie Village, KS, USA

Mar 232014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I have been using this Camry since mid 2006. So far it has not had many major issues. However out of the blue on March 23rd 2014, when I was planning to drive to a temple almost 50 miles from my house with my wife, 2 month old daughter, mother and mother-in-law in the car, just as we pulled out of the drive way, the check vsc message came on and the brake light, the car slipping light and the bas lights came on the dash and as I tried to brake, the brakes completely failed. Luckily since I was only rolling out of my drive way (in reverse), the car only rolled a little bit and there was no cross traffic on the road. I had to press my parking brakes to bring the car to a halt. I was scared to death with my family members in the car there was no way I was driving it in that condition. I tried shutting off the car and waiting for 5 minutes before turning it on.the message came on again and the brakes were unresponsive. I immediately moved my family to another car to continue our trip. I then cautiously moved the car back on to the driveway with my left leg on the emergency brakes so that I don't run into my house. After searching the web and seeing many such reports, the next day (today 3/24) I tried to move the car again and see if the message disappeared. However it was there and when I reversed a little bit, suddenly the message and the lights disappeared and the brakes were working as normal. I am still not driving the car, thankfully I have 3 cars so I am using the other cars. I hope Toyota does a recall on this because I don't want to spend $3500+ on a car that may not be more than $8000 value today. I was planning to get a 2014 sienna soon but reading about the safety issues with Toyota's my faith and loyalty in this brand is now severely shaken.

- Brea, CA, USA

Mar 232014

Camry Hybrid

As I was slowing down to pull into my driveway my brake pedal went all the way to the floor and the car lost braking power for a moment. As this happened I heard a pop from the front of my car and a sound like an actuator pumping. After a split second of no brakes, the car did stop abruptly (although scary that I lost brake pressure). I opened the hood and found the brake actuator pumping even after the car was off. I also heard a leaking noise like the brake line had a pressure leak. I started the car, leaving it in park, and pressed the brake pedal down and about halfway down it would pop and go all the way to the floor. After this the actuator would start pumping again. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined and my opinion is that the actuator's seals or lines are leaking causing the system to depressurize. As long as the actuator can keep up with the brake pressure, all is fine, but if the actuator can't keep up the car loses brake pressure (like what happened to me). This has been a culmination of about 3 months of very strange crunching, whining and whirring noises coming from the front of the vehicle. I have been watching the problem and finally after my brakes failed, I did some research on the problem and found that the NHTSA is researching this problem. Please be an advocate for us to Toyota. This could result in a fatality and they should fix this problem. I am afraid to drive my car now and I'm not sure I can afford the $3,000 price tag to fix the brakes.

- St Peters, MO, USA

Dec 152012

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

This problem started small.. became more frequent and increasingly dangerous. First incident problem occurred while driving on the highway. Brake warning light, ABS warning and vehicle stability warning appeared in the drivers message center. In each instance breaking was not the cause of the warning displays. The displays were intermittent and have now become a permanent fixture. Often adding intermittent moaning noises from the front left wheel while brake is deployed and vehicle is stopped. When braking at times, there was no response, slow response or additional pressure is required to begin to slow the vehicle. Speeds are all varied. City driving and freeway speed. In each condition, warnings or braking problems would occur. Thus far no failure to the system has been diagnosed.. when urgent braking is required, there is no ABS response. Front left and right rear are most effected. Each producing abnormal amounts of brake dust. Brake pads are replaced frequently due to the pads constantly being deployed now. Ruining fuel efficiency. Requiring too. Frequent repairs for normal usage. I implore the NHTSA to inquire on these safety mechanical defects.

- Rancho Cordova, CA, USA

Mar 212014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

We'll this has been happening for several months. My whole dash is lit up with brake warnings and check vsc on my information panel. A loud solid beep comes and goes. It stays more than it's gone today. Basically from time to time my brakes just won't work properly. They are hard to push and it's almost as if it's pumping itself. Then, when the ABS starts to work, there is a loud thud and a jerk that feels as if as if I am being rear ended. I never know when my brakes are going to work properly. Sometimes I have come close to hitting someone, running through red lights, because when they aren't working properly, the stop time is way longer. It is a very scary thing. I will be paying to have my car repaired next week. It is going to cost me 3500 dollars. Which 3300 is the part.. this part has been redesigned, that in itself speaks volumes as to weather or not Toyota knows what is going on. I have also read that this part for this car is under investigation by the NHTSA. As of now my only hope is to recover my losses if there is a recall. There should be!!! this is very unsafe and not at all normal.

- Bessemer, AL, USA

Dec 272011

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact stated while driving 25 mph, he attempted to slow the vehicle down by applying the brakes, but the brake pedal went to the floor and every light on the instrument panel illuminated. The contact coasted to the side of the road and restarted the vehicle and the vehicle functioned properly. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and they stated the brake actuator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 74,822.

- Pheonix, AZ, USA

Mar 112014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I was driving on the service road of the interstate highway approximately 20 mph. I felt the car jerk forward slightly followed by numerous warning indicator lights including brake light, check vsc system and ABS. I immediately tried to brake because there was a car approximately 10 feet in front of me. The brake pedal would not depress. It felt as if the brakes had gone out. The lights then disappeared a few minutes later and brakes worked properly. I had just purchased the car six days earlier. Interestingly, when I test drove the car, the same event happened, but I was tapping my brakes during a slow right turn yielding to traffic, and didn't notice the loss of brakes. 2 events in 6 days. My car is now at the Toyota service center. I am afraid to drive it with this intermittent brake issue. I have to believe based on reading other complaints and recalls that Toyota is aware of this issue and isn't properly concerned about expediting the recall. This is a serious issue with potential deadly consequences. I hope the recall is issued soon. My car is not drivable in it's current defective condition.

- Austin, TX, USA

Oct 012013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I was turning into my office parking lot when my "check vsc system", brake light, stability control light, etc came on. Immediately, my brakes were practically gone and fortunately nobody was coming the other direction or I wouldn't have been able to stop. Over the next few months, this same thing happened every few days, mostly when driving around 50mph but it would go away and be back to normal, usually within a few minutes. Eventually, the lights came on and this time stayed on (they've been on for a few weeks now), but the brakes seem to be working fine. However, I'm scared that they will give out. I've done some research on this and I believe there is already an investigation underway. I just wanted to add my name/complaint to the list. This is absolutely a safety hazard that will result in deaths if not recalled. I've read that some people who have had this fixed at the dealership or a repair shop are paying around $3000 dollars to have it fixed. I don't have $3000 dollars to spend on something that Toyota should take care of themselves because of a flaw in their car's design. I don't have the money to spend, but I also don't want to die! please do something about this.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Mar 052014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

As I was slowing for a stop sign, the check vsc system light came on and I had to push harder on the brakes than I normally do. I turned the car off and after a short time restarted it and the car proceeded normally. About two weeks later as I was driving about 50 mph, the brake, vsc, and ABS warning lights all came on. I pulled into a turn lane and slowed to a stop. Again I had to push the pedal harder than normal.

- Chapel Hill, NC, USA

Mar 082014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I applied a very fast pumping of the brake to slow vehicle while in accelerating traffic lane. Traveling only about 25 mph, attempting to distance myself from vehicle in front of me that was accelerating more slowly than what I was anticipating, the vehicle began alarming and the entire dashboard emergency lights began flashing. Received warning that the ESC needed to be checked, then warned to take to dealer immediately. I was able to drive off the highway; at that point, car undriveable. At the dealer, chief technician advised me that the skid control relay switches remained on after the car was powered off and essentially melted. Cost of repair was $3700. Dealer was willing to pay half of the invoice based on "good will". I am reporting this after reading this link: in no way do I feel responsible for this catastrophic occurrence nor for the repair cost. The fault appears to be in poor mechanical design, but until the company assumes responsibility I am obliged to pay. I am grateful there was no injury or death.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Feb 282014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Driving down the freeway in the rain an extremely loud alarm went off and the vsc, brake, ABS, and triangle lights were on without my foot being on the brake pedal. The car would not stop and fortunately I was able to slow down without incident. I took the car to Toyota on the following Monday in dry weather and was getting off the freeway and the left front brake locked up and skidded 30 feet. This time I almost hit 2 cars but was able to steer clear. The dealer told me it was the actuator. This is the 3rd time this car was in for those lights going off and disables the power generators for help in slowing down. It also happens in the car wash. I have never felt the ABS work on this car since I've owned it. It always set the code and disables it. It's in the shop right now as I'm writing this waiting for me to say fix it for $3000. ? I was hoping NHTSA would investigate this car before it's fixed to see the problem everybody is complaining about. My wife says she will never drive this car again after its fixed. It was a very frightening situation.

- Palmdale, CA, USA